G400 Max vs the G425 Max

Has anyone hit both? I want/need a forgiving driver, and I have hit the the 425, and it is impressive. I never hit the G400 Max, but I was curious if it was in the same ball park. For half the price of the 425, I am thinking about getting one of those before I buy a brand new driver (I think it is crazy the cost of drivers these days.)

Taylormade M3, 10.5
Callaway Epic Flash 14
Cobra Baffler set to 17.5 with the Red Tie shaft
Titleist 818 H1 with the Tensei Pro White 90 shaft
Taylormade P790 Irons (5-PW) with Project X shafts
Vokey SM7 (50 & 54) in F and S grind
Callaway PM grind 58
Odyssey O-Works #7

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The 400 Max is absolutely in the same ballpark.  There may be differences on the margin but there are many 400 Max users that are staying with it.   My sense is that if you find a 400 Max wi

Gamer is an AD DI. I guess if you want to get critical it wasn't my "gamer" but it was the exact same shaft. Didn't think that had to be explained. 

How? 400 and 425 use different adapter sleeves..

The 425 Max has noticeably less spin than the 400 Max.

• Like 2

PING G425 Max 9* Tensei AV Raw Orange
Cobra KING Speedzone FW 14.5* 3W Graphite Design Tour AD-DI 6
Cobra KING F9 Hybrid 21* Fujikura Atmos Red 7 TS
Cobra KING F9 Hybrid 24* Fujikura Atmos Red 7 TS
Cobra KING Forged Tec 6-PW $-Taper Lite
Cleveland CBX2 48* KBS C-Taper
Cleveland CBX2 54* KBS C-Taper
TaylorMade MGS TW Edition 60* KBS C-Taper
Scotty Cameron 2020 Special Select Newport
TaylorMade TP5 ball

G400 Max was awesome but it was left side biased for me even set to open.  I eventually went to the G410LST set wide open with weight on toe.  Going to put the G425 Max into play this week.  

Ping G425 Max 10.5 Fujikura Ventus Blue 6X
Ping G410 17.5  Tour 75
Ping G410 20.5 Tour 75

Ping G410 23.5 Tour 75
Ping G425 5-GW KBS Tour 120 S
Ping Glide 3.0 56

Ping Glide 3.0 60

Ping Anser Putter

I hit both with the same shaft. I've gamed the G400 Max for the past 3 yrs waiting for the next big step

For me, the 425 is not the next big step - Trackman said it did nothing special, not any discerning difference, and the sound was highly piercing on the ears.

Some will find evolutionary change but I'm going to the Epic Max with a fitted shaft this year. Better sound/feel, and tech. Ping is slow on tech change with the driver lately. Sure, you will find more MOI in the 425, but MOI is not the be all, end all.

Good luck.

• Like 1

Father, Wannabe Golfer, Observer of Peeps

Ping G400 Max 9/TPT Red 17 ● SIM TI 3,5 or TEE EXS 220 3, 5 wd/GD AD F 65, SIM Max 4H/Accra FX 2.0 200 or TEE EXS 220 4HY/GD AD HY 65 ● Mizuno MP-20 HMB 5-PW Accra ICWT95 ● Mizuno MP T20 50, 54, 59/Nippon Pro Modus 3 Wedge 115/125 ● Swag Savage Too/Bett Inovai 6.0

From all the reviews I have read and watched the 425 will have less spin all else being equal.  That may or may not be a good thing depending if you are already optimized with the 400.  Although a shaft or loft change could make a difference.  

• Like 1

I pick 14 of the following:
Ping G400
Ping G410 3, 5 and 7 wood
Ping G 400 4 hybrid
Ping G 4-U
Ping Glide 2.0 Stealth 54, 58 SS
Grips NDMC +4
Odyssey Pro #1 black
Hoofer
ProV1x-mostly
ECCO Biom Hybrid 3

I had a (very) brief head to head with the 425 Max and my G400 Max the other night.  Indoors on a GC2, about 10 swings with each.  I play my 400 Max with a Tour 65X at 44.5"...the closest I could get the 425 was choking down on a Rogue White 70X.  I suppose I should be grateful they had any X-flex shafts at all.  Anyways, based off my very limited data set I will not be making the switch.  Good strikes were more or less equivalent, and the misses were slightly more pronounced with the 425.  Carry and spin numbers were pretty comparable.  I'd certainly love to give it another go outdoors when/if the snow ever melts, but I won't be heartbroken if it doesn't happen.  425 is a great driver, but this little experiment confirms for me what I've thought for the last 2.5 years...G400 Max is really, really good.

• Like 4

DRIVER........Ping G400 Max 9*
FAIRWAY........Ping G410 14.5*
HYBRIDS........Ping G410 3H & 4H
IRONS........Titleist 716CB 5-P
WEDGES........Ping Glide 2.0 50* SS, 54* SS, 58* ES
PUTTER........Odyssey Protype #3 Custom
[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/955611-hawk3y3s-witb/"]WITB Link[/url]

Just picked up the G425 Max having played the G410 plus last two seasons. I didn't own but have hit the G400 Max and found it to feel dull off the face (although the numbers look good). I like the feel of the G425 much better than the G410 as it comes off hot. Also the G425 offers the AV Orange Raw at no extra charge and it is a very good shaft.

Good luck.

• Like 1

Just hit the G425 max compared to my G400 max and the G400 max is still the winner. The 425 actually spun more by 300 rpms with the same shaft, Aldila Tour Green. I've got a Tour Green in the old and new adapter, so I just popped that in the demo.

Carry w/ my 400 max was better by 7 yards and 13 yards overall. 

Man, I've tried the Mavrik, TS3, G410 lst, M6, Rogue...etc. Nothing can knock this out of the bag! Crazy long and forgiving. 

• Like 4
2 minutes ago, Wolfthorn7 said:

Just hit the G425 max compared to my G400 max and the G400 max is still the winner. The 425 actually spun more by 300 rpms with the same shaft, Aldila Tour Green. I've got a Tour Green in the old and new adapter, so I just popped that in the demo.

Carry w/ my 400 max was better by 7 yards and 13 yards overall. 

Man, I've tried the Mavrik, TS3, G410 lst, M6, Rogue...etc. Nothing can knock this out of the bag! Crazy long and forgiving. 

The tour green is such a great shaft! I played it initially in a titleist 915, before I got the g400 max, play it, and a speeder evolution ii as well. Like you my g400 max and my g410+ were better than the g425 when I demoed it against them.

11 minutes ago, 4cowboys said:

The tour green is such a great shaft! I played it initially in a titleist 915, before I got the g400 max, play it, and a speeder evolution ii as well. Like you my g400 max and my g410+ were better than the g425 when I demoed it against them.

I think the Tour Green is what many consider the closest thing to the Ping Tour shafts.  Agree, great shaft.

I have had the g400 Max since it came out with a gd di 6x shaft.  I absolutely loved it.   Decided it was time for a new driver so bought the g425 max with same shaft sight unseen.  My initial thoughts:  The g425 has a very harsh feel off the face.  I'm spraying the ball everywhere with it.  Sound is not as good as the 400.   I'd go back to the 400 max in a heartbeat, but I traded it in.

At my home course, I'm not really seeing any distance gains either.  Its hard since I'm probably hitting 25% of fairways LOL!!   Probably a swing issue, but I was hitting the 400 great.  

• Like 1
On 2/17/2021 at 6:12 AM, SwingMan said:

I hit both with the same shaft. I've gamed the G400 Max for the past 3 yrs waiting for the next big step

For me, the 425 is not the next big step - Trackman said it did nothing special, not any discerning difference, and the sound was highly piercing on the ears.

Some will find evolutionary change but I'm going to the Epic Max with a fitted shaft this year. Better sound/feel, and tech. Ping is slow on tech change with the driver lately. Sure, you will find more MOI in the 425, but MOI is not the be all, end all.

Good luck.

Epic Max better tech? Ping slow on tech? MOI is not the be all, end all?

So 85%+ fairways hit doesn’t mean anything? As long as you get that 2 out 14 drives over 285-290 yards I’m guessing? I will take MOI all day long!!!! Look at free agent golfers on PGA tour that can hit any woods they want, it will be Ping, Taylormade or

Titleist. Brooks may be the only one I can think of that hit the Mavrik last year.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
40 minutes ago, Joe Jordan said:

So 85%+ fairways hit doesn’t mean anything? As long as you get that 2 out 14 drives over 285-290 yards I’m guessing? I will take MOI all day long!!!! Look at free agent golfers on PGA tour that can hit any woods they want, it will be Ping, Taylormade or

Titleist. Brooks may be the only one I can think of that hit the Mavrik last year.

^^^THIS^^^

• Like 2

Titleist TSI2 10.75* Smoke RDX 6.0
Titleist TSI2 5W 18*Tensei AV Blue S

Ping G425 22* Alta S
Mizuno 921 Forged 5-GW Modus 105 S
Titleist SM7 54 & 58*
Odyssey WHOG #7 34”
ProV1

2 hours ago, Joe Jordan said:

Ping Fan Boys.

Good for you but 85% of Fwy for you doesn't mean It gets that high percentage for all players, even pros. We all react differently to different designs. Not everyone prefers a BMW over a Mercedes. One just fits them better.

Yes, MOI is not the be all, end all. Everything is a balance, even in drivers. Do a search if you want. That's why we have a choice of different designs. I played a G400 Max for over 3 yrs, still in the bag. But the two iterations afterwards have done nothing and in fact, sound is worse with the 425 - ear piercing. I'm moving on 'till Ping ups its game. Oh, sure, the 425 will attract some people and will work for them because they don't have a 400 Max. But I don't have brand loyalty - it's whatever works for me. Callaway makes a great driver and it actually has excellent sound, speed and forgiveness. Different strokes. Good luck. I'm keeping the 400 Max head just in case.

Edited by SwingMan
  • Like 3

Father, Wannabe Golfer, Observer of Peeps

Ping G400 Max 9/TPT Red 17 ● SIM TI 3,5 or TEE EXS 220 3, 5 wd/GD AD F 65, SIM Max 4H/Accra FX 2.0 200 or TEE EXS 220 4HY/GD AD HY 65 ● Mizuno MP-20 HMB 5-PW Accra ICWT95 ● Mizuno MP T20 50, 54, 59/Nippon Pro Modus 3 Wedge 115/125 ● Swag Savage Too/Bett Inovai 6.0

On 2/19/2021 at 2:03 PM, NCDuffer said:

G400 Max...it will have to crack first.

That is why I have a second one, just in case...

In my Datrek - DG lite II cart bag attached via Top-Lok to my Bag Boy - Quad XL - I'm decidedly brand agnostic:

PING - G400 Max 10.5 - Graphite Design Tour AD DI 5 R

Titleist - TS2 4W - Graphite Design Tour AD DI 6 RS TS2 7W - Alta CB 65 R

Cobra - Baffler 23* - Aldila NV-HL 65 R

PXG - 0211 (2019 version) - 5-PW - MMT 80 S

Cleveland - CBX2 50 / 54 / 58 - Rotex 

L.A.B. Golf - Directed Force 2.1 - KBS Tour - Press No. II 3*

Snell - MTB  Black