G400 Max vs the G425 Max

5 hours ago, Celeras said:

Yes it is.

Good day.

LOL. maybe for your game.

I like my G400 Max but I keep an open mind as to design changes and reasons. My instructor fits Pings and he said the new one goes a little straighter, a little farther for some people. I tried the 425. Nice driver with ear piercing sound. For me. I'd keep the 400 Max.

With the highest MOI you generally have a slight trade off in ball speed, the driver head tends to be larger and one can lose club head speed. The drop may be minimal or the High MOI can make up for such drop with forgiveness. Depends on you, your speed and swing.

Edited by SwingMan
  • Like 3

Father, Wannabe Golfer, Observer of Peeps

Ping G400 Max 9/TPT Red 17 ● SIM TI 3,5 or TEE EXS 220 3, 5 wd/GD AD F 65, SIM Max 4H/Accra FX 2.0 200 or TEE EXS 220 4HY/GD AD HY 65 ● Mizuno MP-20 HMB 5-PW Accra ICWT95 ● Mizuno MP T20 50, 54, 59/Nippon Pro Modus 3 Wedge 115/125 ● Swag Savage Too/Bett Inovai 6.0

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The 400 Max is absolutely in the same ballpark.  There may be differences on the margin but there are many 400 Max users that are staying with it.   My sense is that if you find a 400 Max wi

Gamer is an AD DI. I guess if you want to get critical it wasn't my "gamer" but it was the exact same shaft. Didn't think that had to be explained. 

How? 400 and 425 use different adapter sleeves..

this thread just saved me a stack of cash. 

I was thinking of upgrading my G400 Max to the G425 Max - not anymore.  I had been struggling a bit with my driver lately - just ballooning them with no distance.  In the last few weeks I have jacked up my loft to 10.5 degrees and threw in a Matrix Ozik MFS Black Tie 50M in an X flex I had lying around from my Ping G.  I am liking this shaft a lot better than the Ping Tour 65 in the stiff flex.  Just has a better feel to it and it seems to react with my swing in a way the Tour 65 just isn't at the moment.  I am back to bombing them up the middle (most of the time) and got back the 20 - 30 metres I had lost.

The G400 Max head is obviously just a unicorn I'll have to keep.

• Like 4

I have been gaming G400 Max w/ Tour AD DI. One of the most forgiving and straight driver. 
G425 Max is great in spin and forgiving  but still need right fitted shaft in it. 

I don’t think one is better or worse. It just needs right fitting done with loft/setting and shaft type for the player. 

• Like 4

TaylorMade M6 Tour AD BB
Ping G400 2 Hybrid Tour AD DI
Mizuno JPX 921 Forged Irons
Titleist Vokey SM8s
Bettinardi Tour DASS
Pro V1X low number

I had played the g400 Max since it originally came out. Best driver I’ve ever owned. I didn’t even hit any other drivers until the G425 came out. 

I have not hit the G425 in decent weather still. Weather in the 40s and 50s with wet dormant burmuda fairways that don’t really roll. But for me so far the g425 is better for me. The ball launches in almost the exact same window for me but flattens out faster. Feel and sound are subjective but the g425 feels a lot more solid for me, but the sound is definitely worse pre hotmelt and much better after. 

My miss with driver is heel side. With the g400 those balls still ended up on the fairway but they lost quite a bit of distance. I have been really surprised at where my ball ends up on the misses with my G425. I am not loosing nearly as much distance on the miss. 

• Like 3

Ping G425 Max 10.5 Tour Ad VR 6
Taylormade M2 16.5 Tour Ad VR 7

Titleist TS2 19.5 Blueboard 83
Mizuno 921 Forged 4-g Modus 105
Vokey sm8 55 F Modus 125

Vokey low bounce k 60 Modus 125
Toulon Chicago

9 hours ago, Smokey227 said:

I had played the g400 Max since it originally came out. Best driver I’ve ever owned. I didn’t even hit any other drivers until the G425 came out. 

I have not hit the G425 in decent weather still. Weather in the 40s and 50s with wet dormant burmuda fairways that don’t really roll. But for me so far the g425 is better for me. The ball launches in almost the exact same window for me but flattens out faster. Feel and sound are subjective but the g425 feels a lot more solid for me, but the sound is definitely worse pre hotmelt and much better after. 

My miss with driver is heel side. With the g400 those balls still ended up on the fairway but they lost quite a bit of distance. I have been really surprised at where my ball ends up on the misses with my G425. I am not loosing nearly as much distance on the miss. 

Another case of right tool for the player. 

At given condition, G425 is lower spinning head and forgiving but that can be achieved with G400 MAX as well.

I am glad G425 is working well for you. It is a great driver for sure and will help a lot of mid range players.

TaylorMade M6 Tour AD BB
Ping G400 2 Hybrid Tour AD DI
Mizuno JPX 921 Forged Irons
Titleist Vokey SM8s
Bettinardi Tour DASS
Pro V1X low number

Coming from G400 to G425. Right fit is everything and for me that is making it a better fit for me. It does have a different sound, but it is not ear piercing in any way to me, I kept reading these boards and literally had the preconceived notion it was gonna be obnoxious. It isn't to me at all, G400 actually has a more high pitched sound to me when hit back to back. It is a unique sound that is very satisfying when it is hit center. Once again, get fitted, get the right shaft and a ton of drivers will work for you. 

There is a certain website that does not rate them that high this year, and they normally rate the Pings very high, usually they rate them as the ones you want the most.  Callaway gets high marks this year.

That being said all the Youtube reviewers seem to really like the hybrids and the fairway woods.  

Me, I am sticking with my G400 (not Max) for now, I just know where it is going most of the time. 

I pick 14 of the following:
Ping G400
Ping G410 3, 5 and 7 wood
Ping G 400 4 hybrid
Ping G 4-U
Ping Glide 2.0 Stealth 54, 58 SS
Grips NDMC +4
Odyssey Pro #1 black
Hoofer
ProV1x-mostly
ECCO Biom Hybrid 3

As far as the sound is concerned with the G400, I've noticed it's higher pitched in the cool to cold weather.  During the warmer months, I don't even notice the sound as it's neither ear piercing or dull...it just sounds like a Ping driver.  I haven't compared it to the 425 yet but my Max out-performed the 410 for whatever reason.  However, I just think the Ping Tour shaft just works well for me in the 400 Max head.  I also adjusted the head to the small minus which (I think) has brought down the spin a touch.  

Ping 400 Max

M2 15 degrees

PXG Hybrid 17/22

Srixon ZX5 5 iron

Srixon ZX7  6-PW

Ping Glide Wedges 2.0 50/54/58

Ping Anser Sigma 2

Played the G400 Max and hit a friends G410 so I sold my G400 Max and upgraded to G410 Plus, wish I hadnt changed. The G410 does sound better and with better feel than the G400 just slightly less forgiving. Last week I was able to demo a new G425 on the golf course (not a hitting bay ) and didn't like the sound at all very sharp ting sound. Recommend G400 Max or a G410 but do not recommend the G425 as I didnt find one attribute that makes it worth the upgrade. 

• Like 2

Ping G410 Plus Project X Evenflow Blue 
Ping G410 5 wood  w 3wood ALTA CB 65
Ping G410 7 wood  w 5wood ALTA CB 65
Cobra Speedzone 4 Hybrid w Tensei Blue
Ping G400 5 Crossover ALTA CB70
Ping I500 6-W Irons  NS Pro Modus 3 Tour 105 
Vokey SM8 50.12 F Grind 
Vokey SM8 56.12 D Grind
Vokey SM8 60.08 M Grind DG S200

Macgregor Bobby Grace M5K-GT Tour with HSM insert

I just demoed the G425 Max. It was ok. Nothing that really made me want to buy it asap. Last season I owned the G410 Plus and loved the performance but not the looks. I was never fitted for it but it worked for my swing. Before that, I owned the G400 and G400 Max. I thought that the G410 was a great upgrade. Then I bought a G400 Max last week because I was having some issues with my current driver and it arrived today and tried it on the sim. I guess my swing changed from two years ago? The G400 Max beats them all easily. 

• Like 2

I could not tame the G400 MAX, it looked open to me at address but if I closed it the lefts came out hard. For such a super forgiving club I sprayed it everywhere. I wanted to love this club so much, I gave it 4 months and 3 different shafts with multiple set-ups before eventually going back to my old faithful G20. Right away I was 10 yards longer and much more consistent.

I was going to give up trying to replace the G20, but after 10 years in the bag I wanted something new. When the G425 MAX was released here in the states I decided to give it one last try to unseat the G20. I picked up a G425 MAX 10.5 with Tensei 65s from a local shop, and it checked all my boxes. Looked great and sat perfectly square to me at address.

When I went to the range it performed just as described, high launch, low spin all while being longer and more forgiving than my G20. My first round with it sealed the deal. Did I hit every fairway, no, but I was straighter and longer than usual and its winter. Can't wait for warmer weather to see just what this club can do for my game.

As for the sound, I love it. Yes, it is loud and proud, but it is not like that NIKE trash can of old. It is all titanium and sounds like it with a deep solid powerful sound. I do not care for the dull carbon fiber heads that dominate the shelves these days, they sound weak to me. Different strokes for different folks I guess.

• Like 1
42 minutes ago, ShortSticks said:

I could not tame the G400 MAX, it looked open to me at address but if I closed it the lefts came out hard. For such a super forgiving club I sprayed it everywhere. I wanted to love this club so much, I gave it 4 months and 3 different shafts with multiple set-ups before eventually going back to my old faithful G20. Right away I was 10 yards longer and much more consistent.

I was going to give up trying to replace the G20, but after 10 years in the bag I wanted something new. When the G425 MAX was released here in the states I decided to give it one last try to unseat the G20. I picked up a G425 MAX 10.5 with Tensei 65s from a local shop, and it checked all my boxes. Looked great and sat perfectly square to me at address.

When I went to the range it performed just as described, high launch, low spin all while being longer and more forgiving than my G20. My first round with it sealed the deal. Did I hit every fairway, no, but I was straighter and longer than usual and its winter. Can't wait for warmer weather to see just what this club can do for my game.

As for the sound, I love it. Yes, it is loud and proud, but it is not like that NIKE trash can of old. It is all titanium and sounds like it with a deep solid powerful sound. I do not care for the dull carbon fiber heads that dominate the shelves these days, they sound weak to me. Different strokes for different folks I guess.

Exactly. It's so personal for me as well when it comes to golf equipment. I loved the Tensei Orange though as a no charge shaft for the G425. 

I am coming from g400 Max into a G425 Max. There are some differences for me personally. g400 had Ping tour shaft stiff in it. g425 has rogue stiff. g400 was 10.5 g425 9 degrees. It may be the shaft loft combo for me, but I am getting a lot more out of new setup. And I really loved the g400. I agree with the slight left bias. Very slight however to me. The sound is different but very good to my ears. Used to lose more balls right with g400. g425 wants to go dead straight unless I really try to work it. I'd like to add that there it takes a little time to settle into any new driver. Even though I was custom fit, it still took a few days to get used to the new. Al the guys that hit any new driver and make claims after 10 balls probably already have their mind made up on if they like it or not beforehand. I had to tinker with settings to really get it dialed in. Forgiveness is real on this one and I suggest giving it a try. 

On 2/21/2021 at 12:16 AM, SwingMan said:

Ping Fan Boys.

Good for you but 85% of Fwy for you doesn't mean It gets that high percentage for all players, even pros. We all react differently to different designs. Not everyone prefers a BMW over a Mercedes. One just fits them better.

Yes, MOI is not the be all, end all. Everything is a balance, even in drivers. Do a search if you want. That's why we have a choice of different designs. I played a G400 Max for over 3 yrs, still in the bag. But the two iterations afterwards have done nothing and in fact, sound is worse with the 425 - ear piercing. I'm moving on 'till Ping ups its game. Oh, sure, the 425 will attract some people and will work for them because they don't have a 400 Max. But I don't have brand loyalty - it's whatever works for me. Callaway makes a great driver and it actually has excellent sound, speed and forgiveness. Different strokes. Good luck. I'm keeping the 400 Max head just in case.

To your point. I will always admit, listen and want to learn, when I may be wrong. Full disclosure I have not been able to test any of the new 2021 drivers. I do believe it is the year of the driver! I watched this video from Not allowed because of spam and found it very intriguing! I also learned a tone. To your argument they believe that Callaway Epic 2021 is the Best Driver of 2021! I think it’s worth the watch on how they come up with this. They did not just hit 5 or 10 balls with each driver but in fact 18,000 total!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DDPPVWLQjjc

• Like 1
6 hours ago, Joe Jordan said:

To your point. I will always admit, listen and want to learn, when I may be wrong. Full disclosure I have not been able to test any of the new 2021 drivers. I do believe it is the year of the driver! I watched this video from Not allowed because of spam and found it very intriguing! I also learned a tone. To your argument they believe that Callaway Epic 2021 is the Best Driver of 2021! I think it’s worth the watch on how they come up with this. They did not just hit 5 or 10 balls with each driver but in fact 18,000 total!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DDPPVWLQjjc

Thx. Interesting vid. And they do hit a lot of balls but at the same time, I realize that people react differently to drivers depending on their swing and swing issues. So while that vid is a research reference, and is interesting, it is just one piece of evidence, as you realize. TXG is also a great reference. Getting fit is the best reference. I also like going beyond the stock shafts at a demo. I love TPT Red shafts and my fitter will put different shafts in a head depending on several factors.

The G425 will be great for peeps who did or did not use the G400 Max previously. I did take out my son's Mavrik set at 9.5 and it was a joy to demo. Great sound and feel, it gave me confidence to pummel away. And the Epic Speed is more forgiving and slightly more draw biased this year. The LS is completely new and the Max is also redesigned. And the faces are different on each driver.

But you're right. 2021 has so many great drivers and I go by what has worked previously. Ping or Callaway, although so many others are tempting to demo. I'm waiting for Ping to really spring out of the gates for me soon.

Edited by SwingMan
  • Like 1

Father, Wannabe Golfer, Observer of Peeps

Ping G400 Max 9/TPT Red 17 ● SIM TI 3,5 or TEE EXS 220 3, 5 wd/GD AD F 65, SIM Max 4H/Accra FX 2.0 200 or TEE EXS 220 4HY/GD AD HY 65 ● Mizuno MP-20 HMB 5-PW Accra ICWT95 ● Mizuno MP T20 50, 54, 59/Nippon Pro Modus 3 Wedge 115/125 ● Swag Savage Too/Bett Inovai 6.0

On 2/25/2021 at 12:42 PM, golfer55082 said:

Try to add a bit more weight, or set fade setting. It may help the left miss.

I went to the range again with the new driver. I have no clue why but I just can't launch the ball! Started getting better towards the end but compared to my cracked 400 max driver which ping sent back to me I was loosing about 20 yards/ irratic dispersion. I feel the extra weighting this year is throwing me off so I ordered a 15g from Bob's.  Not sure sure how different the shaft profiles are but in my 900 max 9* I played Tour AD 7s and prior to that, ping tour 65.

In the 425 (9*) I'm testing stock tensei orange av 65 / tour 65 while I wait to get the Tour AD re-tipped.  What do you guys think? It's definitely something with the driver/shaft combo, because I tried my old 400max and I was bombing them even with a 3in crack through the crown... 

18 minutes ago, dayvei214 said:

I went to the range again with the new driver. I have no clue why but I just can't launch the ball! Started getting better towards the end but compared to my cracked 400 max driver which ping sent back to me I was loosing about 20 yards/ irratic dispersion. I feel the extra weighting this year is throwing me off so I ordered a 15g from Bob's.  Not sure sure how different the shaft profiles are but in my 900 max 9* I played Tour AD 7s and prior to that, ping tour 65.

In the 425 (9*) I'm testing stock tensei orange av 65 / tour 65 while I wait to get the Tour AD re-tipped.  What do you guys think? It's definitely something with the driver/shaft combo, because I tried my old 400max and I was bombing them even with a 3in crack through the crown... 

not sure if it is applicable to other people but g425 Max seems to launch lower than prior versions for me. I have both 9 and 10.5 and cannot get good launch from the 9 degree head. I will keep the 10.5 degree which is a winner against a few others I tried - g425 Max 9, g410+ 9, g410+ 10.5, sim2 max 9 and 10.5. 

I previously played the 400 max at 9 degrees. I went with the 425 max at 10.5 degrees. I prefer the look at address of the 425. I find the 425 a touch longer across the face but I preferred the sound and feel of the 400. 

I know I’m in the minority but i liked the sound of the 400. The 425 sounds extremely hollow, which I’m not a fan of. 

8 minutes ago, jonflesh said:

I previously played the 400 max at 9 degrees. I went with the 425 max at 10.5 degrees. I prefer the look at address of the 425. I find the 425 a touch longer across the face but I preferred the sound and feel of the 400. 

I know I’m in the minority but i liked the sound of the 400. The 425 sounds extremely hollow, which I’m not a fan of. 

It does really don't like it... I got mine from the PGAS so considering returning it for 10* LST for sake of the sound... 

I don't know why but when I put the 425 max behind the ball it doesn't scream "I'm going smack this ball to the moon" g400 max with tour ad shaft I knew I could really get at it.

2 minutes ago, dayvei214 said:

It does really don't like it... I got mine from the PGAS so considering returning it for 10* LST for sake of the sound... 

I don't know why but when I put the 425 max behind the ball it doesn't scream "I'm going smack this ball to the moon" g400 max with tour ad shaft I knew I could really get at it.

If they hadn’t changed the adapter I would consider going back to the 400 but I have a shaft I like and I’m not gonna switch the adapter to change back. It’s really just the sound turning me off on the 425. I’ve never heard a driver sound quite like it. 

Too each their own, obviously... but... G425 for me and not even close. I was a huge proponent of G400 MAX. Apples to apples for Me Ventus Black in both. 1.8 index for reference. I didn’t think a driver could be more forgiving than G400 max. I was wrong. g425 is. Distance gained is marginal. Forgiveness is noticeably better for me believe it or not. 

1 hour ago, Tee1up4 said:

Too each their own, obviously... but... G425 for me and not even close. I was a huge proponent of G400 MAX. Apples to apples for Me Ventus Black in both. 1.8 index for reference. I didn’t think a driver could be more forgiving than G400 max. I was wrong. g425 is. Distance gained is marginal. Forgiveness is noticeably better for me believe it or not. 

Based on that maybe I just have poor technique lol... I play off 11 driver has always gone through huge swings of confidence and "I have no clue what's going to happen here..." I don't doubt the 425 is a good driver. Perhaps I just need a little more time to figure it out.

Also play off an 11 and driver swings from strength to weakness for me regularly. I’m coming from the st190 to the 425max. Sound is very unique but I don’t hate it. It’s low pitched but a loudish “wawp” as opposed to the muted carbon head. I do like the sound better than most titanium heads with a high pitched ting. Granted I have 2g of hot melt in the head. Also no issues with launch with the rogue white. It gets up pretty easy.  I don’t have gave enough time with it to say it will make any changes in my game or help me more than the st190 but I like it enough to commit to it and give it a chance. 

F6 baffler
MP54
T7/S18/eye2XG Lob
Classic #3

I put the G425 Max in play today.  Wow so forgiving and hits high. Not as left side biased as the G400 Max. I played the G400 Max extensively with various shafts and I personally like the 425 much more.  I hit a couple of shots off the toe and it stayed in the fairway.  That was pretty crazy as that shot would've been in left rough with the G400.  Distance wise they're about the same.   I was playing the G410 LST lately and most likely it's going off to Ebay. 

Ping G425 Max 10.5 Fujikura Ventus Blue 6X
Ping G410 17.5  Tour 75
Ping G410 20.5 Tour 75

Ping G410 23.5 Tour 75
Ping G425 5-GW KBS Tour 120 S
Ping Glide 3.0 56

Ping Glide 3.0 60

Ping Anser Putter

10 hours ago, dayvei214 said:

Ping sent you back a cracked driver?  Or they replaced it and just sent the old one back?