Rory switching to X7’s

3 minutes ago, SC-TX 88 said:

It can be an equipment fault. When I did my wedge fitting my fitter used to work for DG. He was explaining to me the “why” of softer shafts in wedges in order to get them to load and do their job on full and partial wedge shots. I was 7.0 in irons and 6.5 in wedges going in, left with x100 and s400 and I stopped busting shots long and then leaving the next one short when I thought I made a good swing each time. 

Ah. Well I sure hope that's the case for Mcilroy! I've always found it a bit odd he had 7.0's in his wedges. But it seems that for this week, at least, he's sticking with the equivalent (X7) for that part of the bag... would be interesting to see a change there.

• Like 1

Titleist TSR2 10* - Accra TZ Five 70 M4

TM SIM2 Ti 15*, M5 Ti 19* - Tour AD DI 8 X

Ping i230 4, iBlade 5-9, SM9 46* - KBS Tour 120 S

Ping Glide Pro Forged 50*, Epon Tour M Muko 56*, 60*- Modus 125 W

Evnroll ER5.1

2 minutes ago, mattman said:

Ah. Well I sure hope that's the case for Mcilroy! I've always found it a bit odd he had 7.0's in his wedges. But it seems that for this week, at least, he's sticking with the equivalent (X7) for that part of the bag... would be interesting to see a change there.

Agreed. As a big rors fan as well I would love to see what he would do with S400 in his wedges.  

• Like 2

Titleist TSR2 9 w/Ventus Black 6X
TM BRNR Mini 13.5 w/Ventus TR Blue 7X

Titleist TSR3 18 w/Ventus Black 9X or TM P760 3 w/HZRDUS Black 6.5 105
Artisan FC 4, Artisan HC 5&6, Artisan MB 7-PW (4 TI X100 120, 5-PW TI X100)
Artisan 51,55,60 (51 TI X100; 55,60 TI S400)
Artisan 0117 Slant Neck

16 minutes ago, SC-TX 88 said:

Agreed. As a big rors fan as well I would love to see what he would do with S400 in his wedges.  

Rory used to be 7.0 down to his 9 iron then 6.5 in his PW and rest of his wedges, so yeah X7 all the way down would be a bit of a change for him forsure. but in my experience the X7 even though its super butt stiff it still feels pretty smooth compared to the PX7.0

ForTourUseOnly's WITB

Titleist TSR3 9 w/ Mitsubishi Chemical Tensei 1K Pro Orange 60 TX

Titleist TSR2+ 14.5 w/ Mitsubishi Chemical Tensei 1K Pro Orange 80 TX

Titleist TSR1 20 w/ Mitsubishi Chemical Tensei CK Pro White 100 HY TX

Titleist T200U 2i - 19° w/ Mitsubishi Chemical MMT UT Utility Iron 105 TX

Titleist T150 4i, T100 5i-9i w/ True Temper Dynamic Gold Tour Issue X100

Vokey SM9 47F, 51.5F, 56S, 60.05T w/ True Temper Dynamic Gold Tour Issue

Scotty Cameron Timeless 2.5 SSS Tourtype Prototype

I opened this thread thinking Rory had switched to the ZX7s and was hopping on the wagon after Brooks won with them 🤪

• Haha 1

[b]WITB[/b]
Cobra F9 - Rogue White 130 6X 
Cobra F8 3-4 - Rogue White 130 8X
Cobra F9 19* - Tensei Pro White 90X
Srixon ZX7 4-PW - PX LZ 6.5

Titleist SM7 Black 50,54,58
TM Spider Tour Black

12 minutes ago, ForTourUseOnly said:

Rory used to be 7.0 down to his 9 iron then 6.5 in his PW and rest of his wedges, so yeah X7 all the way down would be a bit of a change for him forsure. but in my experience the X7 even though its super butt stiff it still feels pretty smooth compared to the PX7.0

X7’s are one of the few shafts in that category (7.0, SPB, CT130, etc) that I’ve yet to try but have wanted to. I’ll have to pick up a set at some point and build with some heads I have that need a home. 

Artisan 0117 Slant Neck

Just now, SC-TX 88 said:

X7’s are one of the few shafts in that category (7.0, SPB, CT130, etc) that I’ve yet to try but have wanted to. I’ll have to pick up a set at some point and build with some heads I have that need a home. 

They aren't crazy as long as you load the shaft enough, the butt is about 20cpm stiffer than a DG X100 but the tip section is the same. Its an interesting shaft because a lot of players who just don't quite load it enough we find in fitting actually hit it higher and spin it more as they need to chase it and add loft to get it to work. (Rory obviously wouldn't be this case)

• Like 2

ForTourUseOnly's WITB

3 hours ago, Pepperturbo said:

The feel and spin control between PX 7.0 and DGX7 is quite noticeable.  DGX7 for moderate tempo, PX 7.0 for fast tempo.  Only time will tell. 

130g and .600 butt

133g and .610 butt

Looks like he kept his grip specs the same, BCT 58R 1+1, I’d imagine that’s a noticeable difference in grip size for him with that larger butt diameter. 

• Like 3

Artisan 0117 Slant Neck

21 hours ago, bladehunter said:

They are actually smoother than x100.  Don’t ask me how or why.  But they are.  And you’ll find multiple people who will say that.  They just have more feel of kick to them.  And the extra weight isn’t really noticeable compared x100 , or modus 130 that I play.    If I moved to anything it would be x7 again.  A guy like Rory who hits it really high can benefit from them if he likes the feel.  Definitely will control spin more with them.  

I can’t disagree with this. I bought a set and tested them against x100 in srixon 785 fitting head. I more just wanted to see how stiff these were. I was shocked at how smooth they felt, basically felt similar to x100. I’m certainly not an overly high speed player....driver ss around 112. Ball speed, launch and spin very virtually identical as well.  Given the same numbers and feel, being 42 and playing it safe to have the softer shaft if I want to take something off, I went with x100 but still was very surprised at how manageable these were.

Edited by Pomps
  • Thanks 1

TaylorMade 2016 Tour Issue M2x3 (8.5*/9.4*/9.8*): Tensei 1K White 70TX

Titleist TSi3 9* - Atmos TS Patriot 7x

Titleist TSR2+ 13* - Diamana D+ Ltd. 80x 

Titleist 915f 15* @ 14.25* - Atmos Blue TS 8x

Titleist 915f 18* - Fujikura Motore Speeder TS 8.2x

Titleist 816H1 17* - Fujikura Motore Speeder TS 8.8x

Titleist 915hd 20.5* @ 19.5* Fujikura Motore Speeder TS 8.8x

Titleist 2023 T150 4 & 5 iron, T100 6-9 iron - Project x6.5 ss1x 1.5* flat

Vokey SM9 Raw 46.10F, 50.12F - Project x6.0 1.5* flat, 54.12D, 58.08M - DG TI S400

Putter: Scotty Cameron Phantom 9.5 / Scotty Cameron Studio Stainless Newport 2

Just now, Pomps said:

I can’t disagree with this. I bought a set and tested them against x100 in srixon 785 fitting head. I more just wanted to see how still these were. I was shocked at how smooth they felt, basically felt similar to x100. I’m certainly not an overly high speed player....driver ss around 112. Ball speed, launch and spin very virtually identical as well.  Given the same numbers and feel, being 42 and playing it safe to have the softer shaft if I want to take something off, but still was very surprised at how manageable these were.

Yep.  Was shocked myself.  I think part of their appeal to me too is the larger butt section.  Something about that just feels better on my hands , and makes the shaft feel more balanced.  

• Like 2

Callaway epic max LS 9* GD-M9003 7x 

TM Sim2 max tour  16* GD  ADHD 8x 

srixon zx 19* elements 9F5T 

Cobra king SZ 25.5* KBS TD cat 5 70 

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

Mizuno T22 raw 52-56-60 s400

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

2 minutes ago, mattman said:

Lotta guys would agree with you that a larger butt feels great in their hands.

Cue sir mixalot- 😂

• Like 1

Callaway epic max LS 9* GD-M9003 7x 

TM Sim2 max tour  16* GD  ADHD 8x 

srixon zx 19* elements 9F5T 

Cobra king SZ 25.5* KBS TD cat 5 70 

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

Mizuno T22 raw 52-56-60 s400

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

I've had the X7's in my Ping S55's for the last couple years.  I actually bought them from another Ho on this site.  DIdn't know anything about the shafts before seeing them on here.  They are the best shaft for me that I've ever tried.  Plenty of feel, but have the requisite strength to withstand my harsh transition.  7.0's felt heavy and harsh in comparison.  Spin is definitely a few hundred RPM's lower across the board, but that is helpful for me.  

I would imagine that Rory will quite like the additional feel, if not performance as well.

1 hour ago, ForTourUseOnly said:

They aren't crazy as long as you load the shaft enough, the butt is about 20cpm stiffer than a DG X100 but the tip section is the same. Its an interesting shaft because a lot of players who just don't quite load it enough we find in fitting actually hit it higher and spin it more as they need to chase it and add loft to get it to work. (Rory obviously wouldn't be this case)

I agree. The biggest thing more me is just the weight... 

Driver: Paradym 3D Ventus black TR 6x

3 wood: Paradym 3d Ventus black TR 7x

19 degree UW: Ventus black TR 8x

Mizuno Pro Fli Hi 4 utility Hazrdus black 90 6.5 X

5 -PW: Callaway Apex MB, KBS $ taper 130X

Wedges - Jaws raw 50, 54, 59 KBS $ taper 130x

Putter- Mutant Wilson Staff 8802 with stroke lab shaft
BALL; Chrome Soft X

Maybe Rors switched due to elbow pain? Those PX 7.0s have to raise hell on the joints! I loved my 6.5s but my elbows love Nippon Modus 130s 🤣

-Taylormade BRNR 11.5* set at 9.5* Ventus Red TR 7X playing 44.25”
-Mizuno STz 230 hybrid 16* set at 15* Ventus Blue 8X

-Mizuno STz 230 hybrid 19* Ventus Blue 9X

-Mizuno JPX 923 Forged4&5, Tour 6-PW Project X LS 6.5
-Titleist Vokey SM9 50F set to 51*, 56D, & 62M set to 61*

-Mizuno M-Craft OMOI Type 1 Blue Putter

On 2/16/2021 at 9:38 PM, jll62 said:

Would be very surprised if this set was put in play this week. More likely it's a set built up for him to test.

Well I'll be damned. Didn't expect him to put them in play right away.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

TaylorMade Stealth2 Plus 9.0, Ventus Black 6X, 45.5"

TaylorMade Stealth2 Plus 4 (16.5), HZRDUS Smoke Blue RDX 6.5 70g, 42.5"

TaylorMade P790 3 (2021), DG X100 (SSx2)

TaylorMade P7MC Raw 4-PW, DG Mid X100 (SSx1)
TaylorMade MG4 50, 54 - DG S400

Titleist SM9 58T - DG S400
Scotty Cameron Oil Can Newport, 34"
TaylorMade TP5x (2021)

My WITB Post

I just saw the DG band on his irons and also noticed the steps in the shaft on his second shot into #2 today at Riviera from 166 yds.  Pretty crazy - he's gamed 6.5 then 7.0 is whole career with the 6.5 in the wedges for the last few years too.  Pretty big change - curious to see if it sticks or not!

TM Qi10 LS 8.25°, Ventus Black 6X, tipped 1”, 44.75” 

TM BRNR Mini Driver at 12° (HWF), HZRDUS Black RDX 70 TX, tipped 1", 43.75"

TM Stealth+ 5w at 18.25°, HZRDUS Black RDX 80 6.5, tipped 1”, 42.5”

2023 Titleist T100 (4-GW), PX 6.0, +1/4”

Vokey SM10 54.12(D), 60.08(M), PX 6.0, +1/4"

Scotty Cameron Special Select Newport 2, 360g, 35"

2 hours ago, tsecor said:

DG paid him a cool mill to play these shafts.......thats why he changed....lol

True Temper owns both brands, so I'm sure they could care less which one he plays. 

• Like 3

Callaway Epic Max LS 9* Fujikura Ventus Blue VeloCore 6 X
TaylorMade SIM2 15* & 19* Fujikura Ventus Blue VeloCore 7 & 8 X

Srixon ZX7 4-AW Mitsubishi MMT 105 TX

Mizuno T20 Raw 57/11@56 & 61/07@60 Mitsubishi MMT Scoring Wedge 105 TX

Evnroll ER 2.2 MidBlade Mitsubishi MMT Putter Concept 135
Titleist Pro V1x #13

21 hours ago, QuigleyDU said:

I agree. The biggest thing more me is just the weight... 

Yup the Butt diameter difference is not really anything either, most of the ones I have measured are actually closer to .605 i think the biggest one i measured was .608 so nothing really to worry about there either.

ForTourUseOnly's WITB

18 minutes ago, ForTourUseOnly said:

Yup the Butt diameter difference is not really anything either, most of the ones I have measured are actually closer to .605 i think the biggest one i measured was .608 so nothing really to worry about there either.

Interesting. It’s funny you mentioned that I started to measure my shafts before gripping and noticed the Pro White 80 diameter is way smaller than Mitsubishi published.

Artisan 0117 Slant Neck

Just now, SC-TX 88 said:

Interesting. It’s funny you mentioned that I started to measure my shafts before gripping and noticed the Pro White 80 diameter is way smaller than Mitsubishi published.

Butt diameter is a tough one, they measure it at one spot but especially if you cut it down for a fairway wood you will end up with it smaller, and most graphite shafts will taper in the butt end a bit or some very quickly. I measure all the way down and use masking tape or grip tape to get all my grips the same size. One thing with the CK tensei line was the Kevlar wrap was thicker so the shaft was usually a little smaller above that part then actually got a little thicker when you got down to the Kevlar part.

• Like 1

ForTourUseOnly's WITB

4 minutes ago, mizuno player said:

Maybe he is prepping for firm fast greens for a tournament in April? 

I find it interesting if he only switched because of the ball. Why wouldn't he just keep using the old ball?  Or maybe the new ball is better with his driver? 

Good question for Rickie as well.  I think these guys get so focused on trackman numbers and analytics instead of just using what works (don't even get me started on baseball and analytics).  Maybe its an elbow pain thing (which is very reasonable) but Rickie switched shafts after changing the ball and his game has not recovered since.  Not saying the TP5x is a bad ball by any means (because its not) but these guys are so good that any minimal change may make a huge difference.  I'm barely a + handicap and am nowhere in their league but when I switched to PX LS shafts last year it was a huge difference with the Left Dash.  It worked out great for me and I finally had things dialed in but it was a big change to get used to.  It could also be a contractual thing where they must play certain manufacturer items so he's possibly trying a workaround for the new ball.  Its all speculation and he's one of the best talents I've ever seen.  I hope it works out for him because he's truly enjoyable to watch.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, thammons said:

Good question for Rickie as well.  I think these guys get so focused on trackman numbers and analytics instead of just using what works (don't even get me started on baseball and analytics).  Maybe its an elbow pain thing (which is very reasonable) but Rickie switched shafts after changing the ball and his game has not recovered since.  Not saying the TP5x is a bad ball by any means (because its not) but these guys are so good that any minimal change may make a huge difference.  I'm barely a + handicap and am nowhere in their league but when I switched to PX LS shafts last year it was a huge difference with the Left Dash.  It worked out great for me and I finally had things dialed in but it was a big change to get used to.  It could also be a contractual thing where they must play certain manufacturer items so he's possibly trying a workaround for the new ball.  Its all speculation and he's one of the best talents I've ever seen.  I hope it works out for him because he's truly enjoyable to watch.

I'm switching out of PX because of elbow issues. Wanted to go graphite but I can't decide which one so I'm going modus 130s from 6.5 SS. 

Agree on the left dash. Best ball I've ever played. 

On 2/16/2021 at 11:04 PM, Shilgy said:

Pfffft. Rors needs to get wrx to set him straight. No player is using game improvement PW loft of 46.5*.

Manly men use 50* minimum for PW.. 

The main difference is I bet Rors thinks he hits his PW 150, and Trackman data tells him it’s actually 153 vs. the WRX population who will tell everyone they hit a PW 150, which would be longer of course if it was possible to find a shaft that can keep up with a punch-stinger-trap draw that actually carries 132...downhill...downwind....in the summer.....at 3pm in the afternoon. 

2 hours ago, mizuno player said:

I'm switching out of PX because of elbow issues. Wanted to go graphite but I can't decide which one so I'm going modus 130s from 6.5 SS. 

Agree on the left dash. Best ball I've ever played. 

I have always loved PX minus elbow issues. Went to C Taper, Nippon 130, Tour Issue x100 and was never happy. Immediately had PX LS 6.5 put in once they were released last year and have not had one bit of elbow pain. So glad I went to those. And the left dash is unbeatable for me at least. Nothing is even close to the all around performance I get with it.