3 minutes ago, SC-TX 88 said:

It can be an equipment fault. When I did my wedge fitting my fitter used to work for DG. He was explaining to me the “why” of softer shafts in wedges in order to get them to load and do their job on full and partial wedge shots. I was 7.0 in irons and 6.5 in wedges going in, left with x100 and s400 and I stopped busting shots long and then leaving the next one short when I thought I made a good swing each time. 

Ah. Well I sure hope that's the case for Mcilroy! I've always found it a bit odd he had 7.0's in his wedges. But it seems that for this week, at least, he's sticking with the equivalent (X7) for that part of the bag... would be interesting to see a change there.

• Like 1

Ping G425 LST 9* - Fujikura Ventus Black 6x

Taylormade SIM Rocket 14* - Aldila NV Green NXT 75x

Titleist TSi3 20* Hybrid - PX Even Flow White 90g 6.5 // Callaway x2 Hot Pro 18* Hybrid - PX Even Flow Blue 85g 6.5

Titleist 620 CB 4+5, MB 6-P - KBS $ Taper 130

Vokey SM8 50*-8F (@51*), 56*-10S, 60*-08M - KBS Tour V Wedge

Ping Vault 2.0 Dale Anser

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Lotta guys would agree with you that a larger butt feels great in their hands.

Pfffft. Rors needs to get wrx to set him straight. No player is using game improvement PW loft of 46.5*. Manly men use 50* minimum for PW.. 

Long time reader first time poster, looks like Rors is moving to DG X7’s

Posted Images

2 minutes ago, mattman said:

Ah. Well I sure hope that's the case for Mcilroy! I've always found it a bit odd he had 7.0's in his wedges. But it seems that for this week, at least, he's sticking with the equivalent (X7) for that part of the bag... would be interesting to see a change there.

Agreed. As a big rors fan as well I would love to see what he would do with S400 in his wedges.  

• Like 2

SIM 9.0 w/ TPW 70TX
SIM2 TI 3 w/Tensei Raw White 2.0 85TX

SIM UDI 2 w/Nippon GOST 112 TX
or SIM2 TI 5 w/Fuji Speeder 9.2 X
Callaway Apex TCB Raw 4-PW w/ TI X100
Artisan 51,55,60 (51 TI X100; 55,60 TI S400)
Artisan 0117 Slant Neck
Ball: Bridgestone Tour B XS

16 minutes ago, SC-TX 88 said:

Agreed. As a big rors fan as well I would love to see what he would do with S400 in his wedges.  

Rory used to be 7.0 down to his 9 iron then 6.5 in his PW and rest of his wedges, so yeah X7 all the way down would be a bit of a change for him forsure. but in my experience the X7 even though its super butt stiff it still feels pretty smooth compared to the PX7.0

Titleist TSi3 9.0 w/ Mitsubishi Tensei AV Series RAW Orange 65 TX
Titleist TSi3 15 w/ Mitsubishi Tensei AV Series RAW White 95 TX
Titleist CNCPT CP-03 3i, CP-02 4i-9i w/ TT Dynamic Gold TI X100
Vokey BVHG SM8 46.10F, 50.12F, 54.10S, 60.08M w/ TT DG TI
Scotty Cameron Roundback Tour 1.5 Weld Neck
WITB Link

12 minutes ago, ForTourUseOnly said:

Rory used to be 7.0 down to his 9 iron then 6.5 in his PW and rest of his wedges, so yeah X7 all the way down would be a bit of a change for him forsure. but in my experience the X7 even though its super butt stiff it still feels pretty smooth compared to the PX7.0

X7’s are one of the few shafts in that category (7.0, SPB, CT130, etc) that I’ve yet to try but have wanted to. I’ll have to pick up a set at some point and build with some heads I have that need a home. 

SIM 9.0 w/ TPW 70TX

Artisan 0117 Slant Neck

Just now, SC-TX 88 said:

X7’s are one of the few shafts in that category (7.0, SPB, CT130, etc) that I’ve yet to try but have wanted to. I’ll have to pick up a set at some point and build with some heads I have that need a home. 

They aren't crazy as long as you load the shaft enough, the butt is about 20cpm stiffer than a DG X100 but the tip section is the same. Its an interesting shaft because a lot of players who just don't quite load it enough we find in fitting actually hit it higher and spin it more as they need to chase it and add loft to get it to work. (Rory obviously wouldn't be this case)

• Like 2

WITB Link

3 hours ago, Pepperturbo said:

The feel and spin control between PX 7.0 and DGX7 is quite noticeable.  DGX7 for moderate tempo, PX 7.0 for fast tempo.  Only time will tell. 

130g and .600 butt

133g and .610 butt

Looks like he kept his grip specs the same, BCT 58R 1+1, I’d imagine that’s a noticeable difference in grip size for him with that larger butt diameter. 

• Like 3

SIM 9.0 w/ TPW 70TX

Artisan 0117 Slant Neck

21 hours ago, bladehunter said:

They are actually smoother than x100.  Don’t ask me how or why.  But they are.  And you’ll find multiple people who will say that.  They just have more feel of kick to them.  And the extra weight isn’t really noticeable compared x100 , or modus 130 that I play.    If I moved to anything it would be x7 again.  A guy like Rory who hits it really high can benefit from them if he likes the feel.  Definitely will control spin more with them.  

I can’t disagree with this. I bought a set and tested them against x100 in srixon 785 fitting head. I more just wanted to see how stiff these were. I was shocked at how smooth they felt, basically felt similar to x100. I’m certainly not an overly high speed player....driver ss around 112. Ball speed, launch and spin very virtually identical as well.  Given the same numbers and feel, being 42 and playing it safe to have the softer shaft if I want to take something off, I went with x100 but still was very surprised at how manageable these were.

Edited by Pomps
  • Thanks 1

Driver: Titleist TSi3 9* @ 8.25* - Kuro Kage Dual Core 60TX (44.75")/ Fujikura Atmos Patriot 7x (44.75")

Driver: TaylorMade 2016 Tour Issue M2 9.8*@8.3* Kuro Kage Dual Core 60TX (44.25)

Titleist 917F3 13.5* (A1) - Diamana LTD D+ 80x

Titleist 816 H1 17* (B1) - Fujikura Motore Speeder TS 8.8x

Titleist 818 H1 21* (B1) - Fujikura Motore Speeder TS 8.8x

Srixon 785 4-9 (2* Flat) - DG x100; Srixon 965 PW (2* Flat) - DG x100

Vokey SM7 52* @ 50*, Vokey SM8 56* , TaylorMade High Toe 60* (2* Flat) - DG TI S400

Odyssey Stroke Lab 2 Ball

Just now, Pomps said:

I can’t disagree with this. I bought a set and tested them against x100 in srixon 785 fitting head. I more just wanted to see how still these were. I was shocked at how smooth they felt, basically felt similar to x100. I’m certainly not an overly high speed player....driver ss around 112. Ball speed, launch and spin very virtually identical as well.  Given the same numbers and feel, being 42 and playing it safe to have the softer shaft if I want to take something off, but still was very surprised at how manageable these were.

Yep.  Was shocked myself.  I think part of their appeal to me too is the larger butt section.  Something about that just feels better on my hands , and makes the shaft feel more balanced.  

• Like 2

Titleist tsi2 ( testing loft and shafts ) 

Titleist ts2 16.5 * Tensei CK pro Blue 80TX

Cobra F9  7 wood 21.5 blue board 80TX 

Titleist tour proto  MB 3-pw modus 130x 

Artisan raw 53 59 s400 

Cameron GSS 009  1.5 , sound slot , tungsten sole weights , head speed shaft. 

2 minutes ago, mattman said:

Lotta guys would agree with you that a larger butt feels great in their hands.

Cue sir mixalot- 😂

• Like 1

Titleist tsi2 ( testing loft and shafts ) 

Titleist ts2 16.5 * Tensei CK pro Blue 80TX

Cobra F9  7 wood 21.5 blue board 80TX 

Titleist tour proto  MB 3-pw modus 130x 

Artisan raw 53 59 s400 

Cameron GSS 009  1.5 , sound slot , tungsten sole weights , head speed shaft. 

I've had the X7's in my Ping S55's for the last couple years.  I actually bought them from another Ho on this site.  DIdn't know anything about the shafts before seeing them on here.  They are the best shaft for me that I've ever tried.  Plenty of feel, but have the requisite strength to withstand my harsh transition.  7.0's felt heavy and harsh in comparison.  Spin is definitely a few hundred RPM's lower across the board, but that is helpful for me.  

I would imagine that Rory will quite like the additional feel, if not performance as well.

1 hour ago, ForTourUseOnly said:

They aren't crazy as long as you load the shaft enough, the butt is about 20cpm stiffer than a DG X100 but the tip section is the same. Its an interesting shaft because a lot of players who just don't quite load it enough we find in fitting actually hit it higher and spin it more as they need to chase it and add loft to get it to work. (Rory obviously wouldn't be this case)

I agree. The biggest thing more me is just the weight... 

Driver: Titleist TSi3 Ventus blue 6x

3 wood: Titleist Tsi2 15 Ventus blue 7x

& Wood: Titleist TSi2 Ventus Red 9X
Taylormade Gapr low 2 ventus blue 9x
4-PW Cobra king forged CB KBS $ Taper 130 X flex
Wedges 50, 54, 60 Cleveland ZIPCORE
PUTTER; LAB DF2.1
BALL; Bridgestone BX, OR Taylomade TP5x PIX

Maybe Rors switched due to elbow pain? Those PX 7.0s have to raise hell on the joints! I loved my 6.5s but my elbows love Nippon Modus 130s 🤣

Taylormade M5 TI 8° Fujikura Motore F1 7X WRX issue 
Taylormade M1 2017 TI 15.5° 3HL Kuro Kage XD 80TX
Taylormade GAPR Lo TI bonded 18 2 iron Tour AD 95X
Mizuno MP-20 MMC 4-PW Black KBS $taper 130X
Vokey SM7 raw 50F, 54S & 58D Green Nippon 125 wedge
Bettinardi Queen Bee #7

All Iomic Stick 2.3 grips and I-Classic Mid Putter grip
Titleist Pro-V1 High #s

He probably just got sick of the feeling on PX shafts.  They are horrible feeling compared to DG X7. 

Some of us have been playing X7 in the wedges for a while.  I finally moved over to hardstepped and tipped SPBs instead.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Mizuno ST200G 9° / Aldila Synergy Black Proto 75-TX   
TC Callaway XHot 3DEEP 13° / Project X-10A2 (The Dog's Balls!)

TC Callaway X2Hot 5DEEP 18.5° bent to 17° / Project X-10A2 (The Dog's Balls Part Deux)

Mizuno CLK 21° Hybrid / Project X-HA1 

Raw Mizuno MP-32 5-PW / Nippon Super Peening Blue X hs1x 

Mizuno T20 Raw 50-07 /  Nippon Super Peening Blue X Stage-stepped
Mizuno T20 Raw 54-08 / Nippon Super Peening Blue X Stage-stepped

Mizuno T20 Raw 60-10 / Nippon Super Peening Blue X Stage-stepped
Mizuno M-Craft I Blue Ion 365g / Stability Shaft

On 2/16/2021 at 9:38 PM, jll62 said:

Would be very surprised if this set was put in play this week. More likely it's a set built up for him to test.

Well I'll be damned. Didn't expect him to put them in play right away.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

TaylorMade SIM2 8.0, Tensei 1K White 60TX, 45"
TaylorMade SIM2 Rocket 3, HZRDUS Smoke Blue RDX 6.5 70g, 42.5"
TaylorMade Tour Preferred UDI, C-Taper Lite 115 X

TaylorMade P790 (2019) 3, DG X100 (SSx2)
TaylorMade P770 (2020) 4, DG X100 (SSx2)

TaylorMade P7MC 5-7, DG X100 (SSx2)

TaylorMade P7TW 8-PW, DG X100 (SSx2)
TaylorMade MG raw 52, raw Hi-Toe 58 - DG S400 Tour Issue
TaylorMade tour proto milled Juno, KBS CT Tour, 40.5" armlock
TaylorMade TP5x (2021)

I just saw the DG band on his irons and also noticed the steps in the shaft on his second shot into #2 today at Riviera from 166 yds.  Pretty crazy - he's gamed 6.5 then 7.0 is whole career with the 6.5 in the wedges for the last few years too.  Pretty big change - curious to see if it sticks or not!

Taylormade SIM2 9°, HZRDUS Smoke Black RDX 70 6.5

Titleist TSi3 4w 15.75°, HZRDUS Smoke Black RDX 80 6.5

PING G410 3H 18°, Rogue Black Hybrid 85TX

Titleist T100 (4-GW), Project X 6.0, +1/4"

Titleist Vokey SM8, 54.12(D), 60.12(D), Project X 6.0, + 1/4"

Taylormade Spider X, 35"

2 hours ago, tsecor said:

DG paid him a cool mill to play these shafts.......thats why he changed....lol

True Temper owns both brands, so I'm sure they could care less which one he plays. 

• Like 3

Titleist TSi3 10* Diamana D+ LTD 60 TX
Titleist TSi2 16.5* Diamana D+ LTD 70 TX
Titleist TSi2 21* Diamana D+ LTD 80 TX

Srixon ZX Utlity 3-iron MMT Hybrid 100 TX

Srixon ZX7 4-AW Black C-Taper X
Mizuno T20 Raw C-Grind 57/11 & Ported 61/07 Black C-Taper S+

Evnroll ER2.2 MidBlade Putter Brushed Black CT Tour
Bridgestone Tour B XS

21 hours ago, QuigleyDU said:

I agree. The biggest thing more me is just the weight... 

Yup the Butt diameter difference is not really anything either, most of the ones I have measured are actually closer to .605 i think the biggest one i measured was .608 so nothing really to worry about there either.

WITB Link

18 minutes ago, ForTourUseOnly said:

Yup the Butt diameter difference is not really anything either, most of the ones I have measured are actually closer to .605 i think the biggest one i measured was .608 so nothing really to worry about there either.

Interesting. It’s funny you mentioned that I started to measure my shafts before gripping and noticed the Pro White 80 diameter is way smaller than Mitsubishi published.

SIM 9.0 w/ TPW 70TX

Artisan 0117 Slant Neck

Just now, SC-TX 88 said:

Interesting. It’s funny you mentioned that I started to measure my shafts before gripping and noticed the Pro White 80 diameter is way smaller than Mitsubishi published.

Butt diameter is a tough one, they measure it at one spot but especially if you cut it down for a fairway wood you will end up with it smaller, and most graphite shafts will taper in the butt end a bit or some very quickly. I measure all the way down and use masking tape or grip tape to get all my grips the same size. One thing with the CK tensei line was the Kevlar wrap was thicker so the shaft was usually a little smaller above that part then actually got a little thicker when you got down to the Kevlar part.

• Like 1

WITB Link

4 minutes ago, mizuno player said:

Maybe he is prepping for firm fast greens for a tournament in April? 

I find it interesting if he only switched because of the ball. Why wouldn't he just keep using the old ball?  Or maybe the new ball is better with his driver? 

Good question for Rickie as well.  I think these guys get so focused on trackman numbers and analytics instead of just using what works (don't even get me started on baseball and analytics).  Maybe its an elbow pain thing (which is very reasonable) but Rickie switched shafts after changing the ball and his game has not recovered since.  Not saying the TP5x is a bad ball by any means (because its not) but these guys are so good that any minimal change may make a huge difference.  I'm barely a + handicap and am nowhere in their league but when I switched to PX LS shafts last year it was a huge difference with the Left Dash.  It worked out great for me and I finally had things dialed in but it was a big change to get used to.  It could also be a contractual thing where they must play certain manufacturer items so he's possibly trying a workaround for the new ball.  Its all speculation and he's one of the best talents I've ever seen.  I hope it works out for him because he's truly enjoyable to watch.

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, thammons said:

Good question for Rickie as well.  I think these guys get so focused on trackman numbers and analytics instead of just using what works (don't even get me started on baseball and analytics).  Maybe its an elbow pain thing (which is very reasonable) but Rickie switched shafts after changing the ball and his game has not recovered since.  Not saying the TP5x is a bad ball by any means (because its not) but these guys are so good that any minimal change may make a huge difference.  I'm barely a + handicap and am nowhere in their league but when I switched to PX LS shafts last year it was a huge difference with the Left Dash.  It worked out great for me and I finally had things dialed in but it was a big change to get used to.  It could also be a contractual thing where they must play certain manufacturer items so he's possibly trying a workaround for the new ball.  Its all speculation and he's one of the best talents I've ever seen.  I hope it works out for him because he's truly enjoyable to watch.

I'm switching out of PX because of elbow issues. Wanted to go graphite but I can't decide which one so I'm going modus 130s from 6.5 SS. 

Agree on the left dash. Best ball I've ever played. 

On 2/16/2021 at 11:04 PM, Shilgy said:

Pfffft. Rors needs to get wrx to set him straight. No player is using game improvement PW loft of 46.5*.

Manly men use 50* minimum for PW.. 

The main difference is I bet Rors thinks he hits his PW 150, and Trackman data tells him it’s actually 153 vs. the WRX population who will tell everyone they hit a PW 150, which would be longer of course if it was possible to find a shaft that can keep up with a punch-stinger-trap draw that actually carries 132...downhill...downwind....in the summer.....at 3pm in the afternoon.