Challenging the status quo - what is your opinion?

2 hours ago, Striker Ace said:

I have ditched the driver, for now until my swing gets better.

You might consider a "tune up" fitting with your driver. A good fitter might help you tweak it to get better results.

Or, maybe help you find a better driver. (A better driver doesn't have to be brand new.)

• Like 1

What's In The Bag (Summary as of October 2020)

Driver:  Tour Edge EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  Calla Rogue 4W + 7W

Hybrid:  Calla Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  Tour Edge CB Pro Tungsten 4i-9i

Wedges*:  Calla MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter: Ping Sigma G Tyne (face-balanced)

Ball: Calla SuperHot (Orange preferred)  ||  Bag: Sun Mountain Three 5 stand bag

For details see:  Pending (need protocol to embed file list).

* MD4 54°/10 S-Grind being tested as possible SW to replace MD3 54°/12 W-Grind.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I have a couple of comments.  I think that the gradual strengthening of lofts is what has driven the increasing numbers of wedges.  If your shortest "regular club" flies further than it once did, you

The current trend in the market is to carry 4 wedges (including PW) because the golf industry has been pushing this notion that short game is the money shot.   Whilst I do not disagree that

A local pro with dozens of minitour events told me what he sees in these contests: Big hitters {~ driver carry > 280 yards} tend to go with four wedges. Because of their distance, they need m

15 minutes ago, RacineBoxer said:

feel free to disagree with me but please read Mark Broadie. 

I read his article.  Do you think that one person’s assessment is true for everyone?  If a golfer has a solid short game and can get up and down from around the green 80% of the time, don’t you think that will shave more strokes and be more valuable to their scoring? You know what pros do?  On average they hit 12-14 greens in regulation, but they get up and down from there more often then not, hence saving strokes.  An average golfer is not going to hit that many GIR, so having a great short game is crucial to saving strokes.  

• Titleist TSi 3 - Mitsubishi Tensei White
  • Callaway Epic Speed 15° - Mitsubishi Tensei Blue
  • Callaway Epic Speed 21° - Diamana TB 70
  • Callaway ‘21 Apex Pro 23° - Mitsubishi Tensei Silver
  • Ping i210 - Mitsubishi MMT 105 5-P
  • Ping Glide 2.0 Stealth - 50°, 54°, 58°
  • PXG Gen 2 Mini Gunboat 

1 hour ago, jmurdock81 said:

To your point around number 1- Practicing long game off the tee is certainly important. Not nearly as important as short game.  Short game includes pretty much everything from 100-115 yards in.  At best you are hitting 14-15 long game tee balls in every round.  Short game shots would double that.  I have seen many a player hit near the green and then hit a skulled chip or chunk a 70 yard pitch and then 2 or 3 putt.  Short game is where you can save strokes if you are missing it off the tee or not hitting greens.  
To your point on number 2-  It clearly depends on the golfer.  Having a 5 wood in my bag does me no good.  One, because the gap between my 3 wood and 3 hybrid is not that much and there are rarely times when I would even need that club.  I use the 4 wedges I have, 46,50,54,58 more in a round than I would another wood at the top of my bag.  

I think people who have played golf for a long time and now are able to get off the tee onto the fairway or at least in a spot they can find it may forget how frustrating and demoralizing getting off the tee is for those who struggle. Starting off with a 3 on a regular basis because of a bad hook or slice, and losing balls in the water and woods off the tee not only kills scores, but those mental losses add up and lead to further bad play. Keeping the ball in play, even if it’s shorter (ie not using a driver or even a wood off the tee) can dramatically improve scores. 

In short, get off the tee first, then short game focus will really improve scores. 

• Like 2

TL, DR...  I re-read Dave Pelz’s Short Game Bible and his argument for ditching a long iron, hybrid or FW wood for a 4th wedge is unless those long clubs get you within 12 feet of hole proximity, it doesn’t matter if you hit the green, miss pin high or come up short. Scoring is the same so having an extra wedge covers more yardage gaps 100 yards & under.

Edited by 95124hacker

G400 LST 10*, Tensei CK White 60S

0317 Gen1 17* & 0317X Gen2 19*, MMT 80S

0311 Gen1 4-5 & 0311P Gen2 6-PW, SteelFiber 95S

RTX4 Raw 52* & 58*, Mid, TI S400; HiToe 64*, HiRev 2.0
SC Red X2

Tour B XS (normal cond.) / LD V1x (windy cond.)

- Testing: 0811X+ Proto; Orig One 11.5*; SuperHybrid 17*; 0311XF #3; 2021 TP5x, CS X Triple Track.

- Backups: EFSZ 9* & 15*; TS3 9.5* & TS2 15*; F7 2-3H; 0211; TW-X; IC-601; 716 T-MB; Lucky 777CS; WHP 7CS & CSM 400g; Sigma G Kinloch C.

1 hour ago, RacineBoxer said:

if you break golf into 4 pieces:

1. Tee shots

2. irons/approaches

3. chipping/pitching/scrambling

4. putting

strokes gained research and data tells us most people would shave the most strokes off their scores by focusing their practice time on #2 and #1. 

I did some search after reading your post and I think you hit the nail on the head. It really now make sense why I am hitting more greens after a good drive off the tee (GIR). 

Source: https://www.pgatour.com/news/2016/05/31/strokes-gained-defined.html

Greens hit percentage From fairway From rough From sand
10% 273 yards 238 yards 229 yards
20% 251 yards 212 yards 211 yards
25% 241 yards 203 yards 202 yards
33% 228 yards 187 yards 184 yards 
50% 202 yards 148 yards 79 yards
66% 174 yards 95 yards 54 yards
75% 150 yards 47 yards 47 yards
80% 121 yards 33 yards 43 yards
  • Like 1
10 minutes ago, Gohigh said:

Why not swap between an extra wedge and another club depending on which course, conditions, and your swing at that time?

I take 15 clubs and leave one in the car depending on how Im feeling that day.

Any reason to buy more stuff on here is good with me, and Im not happy with just having 14 so...

Yes, I do have 2 different sets ups.

In fact I have 6 wedges total for this purpose. 

But the main point I am trying to get at is that hitting GIR increases the chance to reduce strokes.

Note: Also off topic but be careful not to leave the club in the car during hot summer. Your grips will sometimes melt and shaft may get damaged. My friend got his Graphite Design shaft ruined... LOL

Currently have 1 spot left in the bag and I'm trying to figure out this dilemma... 

For me getting off the tee is crucial to a good round, but do I necessarily need another club for that or just a better fitting one?

On the other end having more wedge options might just make scoring easier but it might just cause indecision or over analysis... which is why I'm preferring the 3 wedge setup at the moment. 

I think I'll start with a new driver

Titleist 910D3 9.5°
Taylormade Rocketballz tour 18°

Mizuno MP-H4 2 iron
Callaway ApexMB '18 4 - PW
Vokey SM7 52° + 58°
Ping Scottsdale Halfpipe

I have mostly been a very accurate driver and long enough off the tee for the courses I play, therefore I hit driver on almost every par 4 and par 5. I am generally not long enough to go for many par 5's in two. For these reasons, plus the fact I don't have the swing speed to hit one effectively, a 3w is essentially useless to me so I haven't carried one for 10yrs+. I have always played most shots 100yds and in with a 50° wedge unless I'm in a bunker or really need more height. That club used to be a PW and for the last 10yrs has been a GW. Loft creep has gotten to the point where that is becoming a GW2 but I will not be buying any sets that would require it. From there I add a SW and LW and mostly have used a 58° LW from most bunkers and really don't need to carry a SW but I usually do. So before anything else I have driver, 5w, GW, SW, LW,Putter. That leaves me with 9 spots to fill to get me from 200yds to 100yds which shouldn't be that difficult. Of course this is specific to me and how well any of its works depends on how I am swinging any given day, wind, temperature etc.

• Like 1

Ping G410 Plus 10.5°/Alta CB55 r flex, Maltby KE4 TC 5w/Xcaliber SL FW r flex, Maltby KE4 ST-H 3h/Xcaliber HY r flex, Maltby KE4 ST-H 4h/Xcaliber HY r flex, Maltby KE4 Tour TC 5h/Xcaliber Rapid Taper r flex, Maltby KE4 Tour+ 6-G/Xcaliber Rapid Taper r flex, Maltby Tricept 54° and 58°/Xcaliber Rapid Taper r flex, Mizuno Bettinardi C06

8 hours ago, jmurdock81 said:

Totally disagree.  It certainly depends on the quality of the golfer, but #3 and #1 would be what I concentrate on the most, followed by putting.  A higher handicap golfer is going to miss more greens, therefore needing a solid #3 game to save strokes.  Most professional golfers focus from the green back to the tee.  More strokes are taken from around the green then anywhere else.  

I've read this viewpoint, but modern statistics-based evaluations says that, in general, the difference between handicap levels is about 2/3 full swing, and about 1/3 short game and putting.  I do agree, it depends on the individual.  

• Like 2
34 minutes ago, Bad9 said:

From there I add a SW and LW and mostly have used a 58° LW from most bunkers and really don't need to carry a SW but I usually do.

That was my experience with the 4 wedge setup also during my time with it. I had a 56* SW and a 60* LW, but found that I used the 60* for pretty much all shots within 75 yds of the green including bunkers.

So the question for me was, why carry the 56* if I barely ever use it? The answer was to meet in the middle go with a 58* and game 3 wedges: 46*, 52*, 58*

Callaway Mavrik (10.5*) / Tensei AV Blue 65

Callaway Mavrik (15*) / Rogue White 130 M.S.I. 70

Srixon Z H85 (19*) / Hzrdus Black 6.0 85

TaylorMade P790 (4), (5-PW Coming soon...)

Cleveland RTX Zipcore (50-54-58 Mid) / Dynamic Gold Spinner

TaylorMade SOTO Tour Preferred (36")

🇨🇦

8 hours ago, jmurdock81 said:

I read his article.  Do you think that one person’s assessment is true for everyone?  If a golfer has a solid short game and can get up and down from around the green 80% of the time, don’t you think that will shave more strokes and be more valuable to their scoring? You know what pros do?  On average they hit 12-14 greens in regulation, but they get up and down from there more often then not, hence saving strokes.  An average golfer is not going to hit that many GIR, so having a great short game is crucial to saving strokes.  

It's more than an article. He wrote a whole book on the subject.

Ignoring individual exceptions to the rule, the statistics show that more strokes are lost from tee to green than around the green.

Grinding in a putt for double because you can't get the ball in play off the tee or on/adjacent to the green in regulation 90% of the time isn't the way to improve your scores.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Cobra RAD Speed 9* : Ventus Blue 6-S

Cobra RAD Speed 3W : Graphite Design AD TP8-S

Cobra ForgedTec 3-iron : Ventus Blue HB 8-S

Srixon Z785 4-PW : Nippon Modus3 120-S

Cleveland RTX3 50, 54: Nippon 115-S Wedge

Cobra MIM Black 58 : Nippon 125-S Wedge

Piretti Potenza 370g : Breakthrough Technology Stability Shaft - 34"

13 hours ago, ChipNRun said:

A local pro with dozens of minitour events told me what he sees in these contests:

• Big hitters {~ driver carry > 280 yards} tend to go with four wedges. Because of their distance, they need more shot variety inside 150 yards to improve their scoring.
  • Average hitters (~ driver carry < 280) tend to go with three wedges. Because they don't hit the ball quite as far, they want an extra club in the 210-230 yard range for more precision in longer approaches.

As for me, a regular amateur, I decided to go with three wedges for these reasons:

• Old PW 46 and GW 50 seemed to overlap a lot on partial shots around the green.
  • Three wedges is easier to practice than four wedges, and cuts down on indecision.
  • The 3/4 9i shot gives me an extra honorary wedge shot for occasional gaps between 48* and 9i.

And...

hitting fairways is critical for beginners... to break 90 you need to be able to hit some greens on iron approaches... a bad short game will hurt your scores, but a good short game will not save if your tee shots and approaches are consistently poor.

this is spot on, in my opinion. started taking my game seriously a few years ago, working out in a way that functionally helped me gain distance, and playing way more regularly. Short game has always been the best part of my game, but FIRs were like unicorns. When I got distance, and finally started working on FIRs, is when my handicap started to breach into the 11-12 range. 

but the combination of distance + FIRs, and me moving to 4 wedges (PW / 46, 52, 56, 60) is what took me to single digits. My PW was going 150-155, and I just needed more gap coverage with the short shots. 

my point might have gotten lost tangentially - i'm just agreeing that longer hitters usually take more wedges, but for beginners who have distance, FIRs is going to help you improve scoring before a fourth wedge will, although both will help at some point.

• Like 1
15 hours ago, Krt22 said:

I would also challenge the notion that "the industry" is pushing 4 wedges, since short game is "the money shot". I

I think we are seeing so many wedges these days because lofts are stronger. The loft of some PW's used to be the loft of an 8-iron, given that, it's no surprise that people carry more wedges. 

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, Sean2 said:

I think we are seeing so many wedges these days because lofts are stronger. The loft of some PW's used to be the loft of an 8-iron, given that, it's no surprise that people carry more wedges. 

I would agree with that, but those sets are honestly outliers and something that have just come along in the last few years. 4 wedges has been around since the PW started in the 46-47 range which some sets were at 10+ years ago and where any non-SGI set is still at today.

James Siekmann says if you hit your PW 130 or more, then 4 wedges, because your PW is mostly a full shot club. If you hit your PW 120 or less, 3 wedges. From his point it's about having options and small gapping from 120 and in. I would say more and more pros use 4 wedges for the same exact reason. 1 they have the length and 2 they want more than 2 clubs to cover 120 and in.

• Like 1

I think it also depends what type of courses each person usually plays. I play different courses and styles all the time and find some courses I won't even look at my 60° but other courses I'm using it like my life depends on it. I'm also thinking of changing my wedge gapping to something more simple and maybe adding a 5W based on how well I hit my 3W. But going to leave it up to the fitter after doing a gapping session. 

Lefty WITB

Driver: 9° Ping G410 Plus - Tour 65S

3W: 13.5° Ping G410 LST - Aldila NV 2KXV Green 75X

3H: 19° Ping G410 - Tensei CK Pro Orange 90TX

Irons: 4i - 7i Srixon 585 / 8i - PW Srixon 785 - AMT Tour White S300

Wedges: 51° MD3 - 56° Glide 2 - 60° PM2

Putter(s): TP Mills Handmade - Kingdom Putter - SIK Pro Tour Proto - and more. 

I agree a good tee game is absolutely the biggest factor in scoring well.

However, I see it time and again where players go to a 3w, 5w or long iron instead of their driver, trying to "play it safe" and actually end up doing worse than they would've if they had just stuck to their driver.

A long iron or 3w is no easy club to hit for most mid/high handicappers, even off a tee. I submit it'd be easier for them to work on learning to hit the driver (with lessons, preferably). That big, fat face can be a real advantage off the tee.  No other club gives you as much chance to put the flat part of the face onto the ball.

As for 2/3/4 wedges, to me this is just as much about having bounce options as it is gapping. With 14 clubs, I can have both a good top end of the bag as well as 4 wedges. Driver, 3w, 2h, 3h, 5i are a pretty solid mix and I don't find it "missing" anything, so no need to give up  wedge to fill in anything up there.

Edited by dubbelbogey

I like using 4 wedge. I go Driver 3W and 3H. I don’t have anything between the Hybrid and 5 iron. I think I am going to try a utility iron this year in that spot mostly for windy day and short or tight par 4s.

Driver- Tour Edge EXS 220

3W- Adam’s Tight Lies

3H- Cobra F8

Utility- Sub 70 699U 21 degree

Irons- Sub 70 739 5-PW

Wedges - Tour Edge CB Pro 50, 54, 58

Putter- Tour Edge HP series #1

10 hours ago, hypergolf said:

I did some search after reading your post and I think you hit the nail on the head. It really now make sense why I am hitting more greens after a good drive off the tee (GIR). 

Source: https://www.pgatour.com/news/2016/05/31/strokes-gained-defined.html

Greens hit percentage From fairway From rough From sand
10% 273 yards 238 yards 229 yards
20% 251 yards 212 yards 211 yards
25% 241 yards 203 yards 202 yards
33% 228 yards 187 yards 184 yards 
50% 202 yards 148 yards 79 yards
66% 174 yards 95 yards 54 yards
75% 150 yards 47 yards 47 yards
80% 121 yards 33 yards 43 yards

Here's another article with a slightly different perspective: The smart-player's guide to dropping 10 shots — guaranteed (golf.com)

The course you play matters a ton. Both my home course, and the top 5-6 local courses I get to with some regularity, none of them have particularly punishing rough during normal conditions. This can't be understated IMO. Rough that is relatively thin, maybe an inch or two, often offers minimal penalty. However, long and thick rough can be horrible to chop it out of. So for me personally, the play is almost always to hit driver, if I"m going to miss to miss on the correct side of the fairway- i.e. the side that still gives me a clean look at the green. 

I absolutely agree you cannot play the game of golf well if you are losing balls off the tee or hitting it into places where you are frequently punching out. That doesn't work. But laying up off the tee, for most people, doesn't work either. I'm a 4 handicap and a relatively good ball striker. I don't have a 4 iron in my bag because I can't hit one consistent enough. I have very, very few golfing buddies that hit an iron 200 yards off the tee and then another one 200 yards onto a green. A 200 yard iron shot, with a reasonable degree of accuracy, actually takes a lot of skill.  Think about this for a second- a 90 golfer's median distance to the hole from 150 yards in the fairway is 56 feet. Almost 20 yards. The spray pattern on 200 yard shots is going to be even bigger. Asking a 90 shooter to hit a lot of those shots is asking a lot of them. But certainly, stopping lost tee shots has to be a tip-top priority. Which is why people need to practice that facet of their game a ton. 

Edited by RacineBoxer
  • Like 1
18 hours ago, hypergolf said:

The current trend in the market is to carry 4 wedges (including PW) because the golf industry has been pushing this notion that short game is the money shot.

Whilst I do not disagree that short game is extremely important, I have noticed that my scores are more positively influenced by better shots off the tee.

It is often more difficult to recover from a bad tee shot than a badly positioned shots from wedge distance for me personally. 

Hence I decided to add one more club to the top end of the bag (driver, 3w, 5w and 3 hybrid) and started with 3 wedge system (PW, 52 and 58).

I have started to use less driver especially on windy days, tight fairways and situations where I was not feeling confident with a driver for whatever reason with the aim to place the tee shot on the fairway. I use all woods interchangeably including hybrid off the tee.

It has now been a few months since this test trial and my scores have drastically improved after this change. I also noticed that the percentage of successfully attacking the pin from a long distance has noticeably increased as the gapping at the top end of the bag is tighter. Which means less wedge usage as well. No issues with wedge gapping either with 6* difference from PW to 52* to 58* when required.

So what are your thoughts? Would you prefer a good shot off the tee onto the fairway or better placed ball position from wedge distance? Is the 4 wedge system introduced so that the golf industry could better profit from golfers as we usually change wedges more frequently than the top end of the bag?

Will be interested to hear your thoughts.

Yeah...me too.  My PW is 50* and then my SW is 57*.  BeCu Eye2's.

Bridgestone J's Professional Weapon 10.5*
TM 15* Tour Burner FlexTwist Titanium Shaft

Ping Eye2 BeCu 2-SW, ZZ65 w/Cushin

Ping Zing2 BeCu Putter

Everybody has different preferences. I like my driver. I'm happy to hit kind of a bunt driver for shorter drives. 3-woods have been love/hate for me my entire life. I've found a driving iron is pretty much automatic off the tee, and that's been really nice. But, what to lose? The opportunity to go after a par 5 from 3-wood range? A high soft shot from DI distance since the DI isn't high and soft? 

I could keep all of them if I drop a wedge, but I carry PW 130 comfortably and I'm inside of that range pretty regularly. My SW and LW are also very different because I'm in a region that has packed sand waste areas and fluffy sand in other spots. 

If it works for you, great. But it wouldn't work for me. Now, if I learn to hit stinger 3-woods and be automatic with them then the DI becomes obsolete and the club count compromise goes away. Now I just need time to practice and add an entire shot type now that I have a career and a child and everything else...That's the hard part, so sticking with what's baked in over my entire life is helpful. 

2 hours ago, curt_jr said:

i'm just agreeing that longer hitters usually take more wedges, but for beginners who have distance, FIRs is going to help you improve scoring before a fourth wedge will, although both will help at some point.

You are a champion of continuous improvement. We both realize it takes more to build a golf game than machine-gunning a large bucket of r range balls twice a week.

• Like 1

What's In The Bag (Summary as of October 2020)

Driver:  Tour Edge EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  Calla Rogue 4W + 7W

Hybrid:  Calla Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  Tour Edge CB Pro Tungsten 4i-9i

Wedges*:  Calla MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter: Ping Sigma G Tyne (face-balanced)

Ball: Calla SuperHot (Orange preferred)  ||  Bag: Sun Mountain Three 5 stand bag

For details see:  Pending (need protocol to embed file list).

* MD4 54°/10 S-Grind being tested as possible SW to replace MD3 54°/12 W-Grind.

1 hour ago, dubbelbogey said:

IHowever, I see it time and again where players go to a 3w, 5w or long iron instead of their driver, trying to "play it safe" and actually end up doing worse than they would've if they had just stuck to their driver.

I know a guy who does this repeatedly but still insists on doing it. The thing is he's long enough on most of our home course holes his big miss(a big block/slice right) is likely playable on an adjoining fairway whereas his "play it safe" tee shot is more likely to end up somewhere unplayable or forced sideways chipout.

• Like 1

Ping G410 Plus 10.5°/Alta CB55 r flex, Maltby KE4 TC 5w/Xcaliber SL FW r flex, Maltby KE4 ST-H 3h/Xcaliber HY r flex, Maltby KE4 ST-H 4h/Xcaliber HY r flex, Maltby KE4 Tour TC 5h/Xcaliber Rapid Taper r flex, Maltby KE4 Tour+ 6-G/Xcaliber Rapid Taper r flex, Maltby Tricept 54° and 58°/Xcaliber Rapid Taper r flex, Mizuno Bettinardi C06

Great topic. Especially for golfers trying to get better. I have gone from at 22 to a 14 handicap in the last two years. I gotta say the OP has some great points that everybody needs to consider. With all that being said, to get better the answers aren't always related to equipment. 

If you are trying to break 100 to 90, you gotta focus on short game. Ton of strokes to save for high handicappers here. But as many have pointed out, having a fourth wedge doesn't guarantee a better short game. Getting comfortable with one wedge, 54 degree for me unlocked a lot of consistency.

Now, all that being said, trying to break 80 is all about the long sticks. No way around it. Get lessons, watch videos, lots of practice. 

I really agree with what the OP is saying as far as diverse tee game too. But that takes practice. Not just banging drivers. Also using those, three/four woods, long hybrids/irons, whatever. Gotta study the ball flights and get super comfortable with those sticks off a tee.

If you go to the same couple courses, try different tee shots. Driver isn't always the answer. Playing from the fairway, from a good lie is so important to my ball striking. The longer drive from the more difficult lie not always the answer.  

• Like 1
On 2/19/2021 at 6:44 AM, fj_magni said:

Great topic. Especially for golfers trying to get better. I have gone from at 22 to a 14 handicap in the last two years. I gotta say the OP has some great points that everybody needs to consider. With all that being said, to get better the answers aren't always related to equipment. 

If you are trying to break 100 to 90, you gotta focus on short game. Ton of strokes to save for high handicappers here. But as many have pointed out, having a fourth wedge doesn't guarantee a better short game. Getting comfortable with one wedge, 54 degree for me unlocked a lot of consistency.

Now, all that being said, trying to break 80 is all about the long sticks. No way around it. Get lessons, watch videos, lots of practice. 

I really agree with what the OP is saying as far as diverse tee game too. But that takes practice. Not just banging drivers. Also using those, three/four woods, long hybrids/irons, whatever. Gotta study the ball flights and get super comfortable with those sticks off a tee.

If you go to the same couple courses, try different tee shots. Driver isn't always the answer. Playing from the fairway, from a good lie is so important to my ball striking. The longer drive from the more difficult lie not always the answer.  

I think you are onto something here @fj_magni

Looking back when I was trying to break my 90, I really practiced a lot with my wedges and carried PW, 50, 54 and 58.

Now that my aim is to break the 80 mark and bring my score into the 70s, I can now make same shots and distance with any given mentioned wedge above but manipulating the face so it made sense for me to drop a wedge. With the 52 wedge, I can do anything that I had to do with 50 and 54. But as you mentioned, now it is more important that I get my second shot to land on the green. 

Prior to the set up change, I always had this awkward gap between my 5wood and 4 iron, off the tee or from the deck. 

As to other replies from the WRXers:

There is no right or wrong in carrying 3 or 4 wedge combination (as shown below) as it is more of a personal choice depending on the course you play but perhaps I didn't make the main point clear to WRXers.

I wasn't trying to debate the 3 vs 4 wedge idea but I wanted to verify my findings that my score is highly correlated to the tee shot I take and landing it onto the fairway.

Top-10 Wedge Players

Top10WedgePlayers

I personally have 2 wedge setups depending on the course I play. Usually longer courses I go with 3 wedge setup and shorter courses with 4:

• PW, 50, 54, 58
  • PW, 52, 58
Edited by hypergolf

I’ve been thinking about this a lot, and I’m not sure the answer is less wedges to get more options off the tee... 

on the wedge front, I’ve moved back to a set gap and pitching wedge... I’ve carried 4 “specialty “ wedges, most recently I had 3... 

One of the big things I want to work on in a simulator is dialing in wedge distances... I want my pitching wedge and gap wedge to cover 150-100 yards, with the specialty sand wedge and lob wedge (54 and 58) being mostly used around the green... I want to be confident with them on 3/4 and 1/2 swings but that skill should be developed with practicing my set wedges... it’s a secondary concern for them, though a pretty big one.

on the tee front, my next big purchase will be a 2 wood... whenever I find one. I carry my driver 260-270 and occasionally need something that goes 250-260 and stops... my hybrid is great for 240 and my driving iron goes 230... both also work from the ground, and I rarely need more than that into a par 5. 

Basically, I can carry two dedicated tee clubs without giving up a 4th wedge... my gaps between 200-230 are 15 yards, but that’s not a scoring distance, so I’m fine with it.

I don’t use my long clubs all that often, though and I have a ton of confidence in my driver... I also don’t deal with a ton of wind (and can knock down my driving iron if needed).

everyone gets to pick what 14 clubs they play. I think people worry too much about what “other people” Play and don’t focus enough on what they need for their game...

my bag is setup for the course I play 90% of the time... it has some gaps, but they don’t hurt me at home... if I played a variety of courses, my setup would change.

The one major factor for me is there is really only one par 5 that I’ve ever successfully hit with a three wood... two are  dog legs that take a 250 yard shot out of play, and the third basically requires a 300 yard carry to have a shot at the green (which is then a 200 yard 2nd shot)... it basically makes my wood choices pretty obvious... I don’t need anything between hybrid and driver, much less 2 clubs. 

I like the utility of 2 specialty wedges, and my 58 wedge is great for me. 54 is more for sand shots and regular chips... I need both... gap wedge and pitching wedge are probably the two most commonly hit clubs in my iron sets.

As of 1/24/21

9 Callaway Mavrk Sub Zero with RipX

13 Degree Adams Speedline with Aldila Alpha 

18 Degree Adams A12 with Proforce V2

4 Utility Sub70 699u 22 degree Proforce V2

5 iron Sub70 639 CB with S400

6-GW Adams CMB with Project X 6.0

Sub70 286 54

Sub70 JB Low Bounce 58

SeeMore milled Tri-Mallet fit and built at SeeMore 

As a side note, the sieckmann method for chipping adds a ton of utility to your wedges... since moving to it, I hit my 54 higher and softer than I used to hit my 58. 

I could easily drop the 58 and be fine... but I could also drop my 3 wood and be fine... 12 clubs would work just fine for me, but I can carry 14, so I do.

im a six handicap but average 36 putts around (my wedge game is good, I’m just awful at putting)... so I have everything I need in my bag currently... though I’m open to changing it!

if I really needed to add a club, I’d probably gap my 5-9 irons to 15 yards and carry 6-9

instead.

As of 1/24/21

Sub70 286 54

Sub70 JB Low Bounce 58

On 2/18/2021 at 12:37 PM, Bad9 said:

I know a guy who does this repeatedly but still insists on doing it. The thing is he's long enough on most of our home course holes his big miss(a big block/slice right) is likely playable on an adjoining fairway whereas his "play it safe" tee shot is more likely to end up somewhere unplayable or forced sideways chipout.

Jon Sherman at practical golf has an article

on this... 3 wood off the tee isn’t more accurate... 

honestly, people need to learn to hit driver and be confident with it on the tee box... hitting less than driver is giving away strokes. 

• Like 2

As of 1/24/21

Sub70 286 54

Sub70 JB Low Bounce 58

20 hours ago, Myherobobhope said:

Jon Sherman at practical golf has an article

on this... 3 wood off the tee isn’t more accurate... 

honestly, people need to learn to hit driver and be confident with it on the tee box... hitting less than driver is giving away strokes. 

So very true. Misses with a 3w are flat out horrific - usually because some corner edge of that smaller clubface is striking the ball. An equivalent error miss with a driver is more likely to still hit with the flat part of the face. Granted, the longer shaft length of a driver negates this to some degree, but I still see more bad misses with 3w than drivers, on average.

• Like 1

My last year of playing rounds was 2019 and it went like this (Grint).

Driver - 75% fairways 

GIR - 55%
Putts - 31.5

Hdcp went from 0.8 to 3.0.

Yes I had some one putt pars but it was iron play that did me in. 

Proximity and where I missed were just as important. A GIR deep with a long downhiller is far worse for me than short with uphill chip, for instance.

Gone back and forth with hybrids replacing long irons, 4 or 3 wedges.

I've decided to start this year with another GI experiment going 1, 3, 5 wood and playing the irons 4 (21) thru A (48), then 54 & 58. Never have found the exact FW/HYB/Iron combo so thinking the set 4 can do the job.

Keep the flow of the set more standard.

Last year was a washout with back problems, so figured I'll start 2021 with a set of GI that actually frame the ball to suit my eye. Not been successful in the past, but I'll be starting fresh so why not?

Not a long hitter by any stretch, but pretty routine for me to hit it 245-250. Really aggravating to have a well placed drive and then muff the hole, lol.

The daydreams of an "experienced" golfer looking at 21 degree weather.

Proximity man. That's what I'm after.