2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

When did you realize "I'm getting really good at golf..." I just recently had this thought

So I have dedicated my winter up here in upstate NY to improving my golf game. It just got me the other day when I was at the range. I'm getting really really good for the time I've put into this. I went to a simulator recently, this last Saturday actually. I scored a 79. I had 12 green in regulations, 3 birdies, and it seemed like alot of pars. I got a couple bogeys also. I went to the range this morning before work, and didn't mishit one single ball. Low small fade/draw, high fade/draw, and the famous stinger are now in the bag...

I'm now playing mizuno jpx 900 tour irons, and realizing how beautiful these things are. I know what they are built for, and I can feel like I can use them to their full potential.

I'm not here to brag, I'm sorry if that seems the case! But I wanna ask low handicap, and scratch golfers when did you realize "holy s***, I'm getting good... Really good..."

I would love to know if you were shocked like me, or super excited?

Let me know please!!!!

There was one summer where I was unemployed and I played a ton of golf and hit a lot of range balls.  When I could take some of the shots I would work on at the range and hit those on the course that’s when I started to score better.  By the end of that summer I had consistently shot in the low 80’s and broke 80 once or twice.  Some players just have natural talent or skills but I had to hit a ton of balls to figure my swing out.

Working the ball with multiple clubs allowed me to break 80.

Minimizing mistakes and improving my short game and putting allowed me to shoot low 70’s.  A better mental approach allowed me to break 70.  A combination of the above along with my short game being my biggest strength has my handicap down to a 0.2 or 0.3.

In the Bag:

Driver: 10.5 Epic Speed Graphite Design AD-ITZ 60

Fairway Wood: 15 Epic Speed Graphite Design AD-ITZ 70

Fairway Wood: 19 Epic Flash Tensei Blue 75

Irons: Apex Pro '19 4-AW, Aerotech Steelfiber 95

Wedges: 54 MD4 and 58 '19 PM Grind 

Grips: Tour Velvet Jumbo

Putter: Odyssey MXM 9 HT

Balls: Chrome soft Triple Track

I noticed it about 3 years back when I starting routinely staying in the 70s ... saving par from the hazards more often, 65% on my worst days for fairways hit.. 60% greens and under 31 putts, anything over 34 putts felt horrible. 

I worked on my game 3 or 4 days per week, won a few tourneys around the area. 

now I feel that anything not under par is a lost opportunity. You’re never good enough! 

• Like 1

I regard myself as a respectable golfer (on a good day) and my handicap hovers around 9-10.  I have shot in the 70s plenty of times, and expect to be in the 80s, but on any given day I could also be in the 90s.  I need to practice more but it's hard to find the time to play more than twice a week.  I really think I need to be playing 4 times a week + to really make progress.

I have never thought to myself "I'm getting really good at golf" and I'm pretty sure I never will.  I am envious of people who do enough to come to that realization though.

• Like 1
  • PING G400 Max 9* Tensei Orange 60 S
  • PING Anser 17 / 20* hybrids Graphite Design 85S
  • Miura PP-9003 Straight Neck 4-PW Nippon NS Pro 750 GH wrap tech
  • Miura 52, 56 K forged wedges / PING Eye 2 LW beryllium copper
  • Nordberg Halvdan custom / PING Cushin Scottsdale zip / PING Jim Wells Zing 5KS SN / PING Vault 2.0 Ketsch 380g, etc.

Good at a simulator?  To each his own. 

About 15 years ago, came to a realization reaching a hallmark called "consistency" when I played with a guy 6 weeks removed from our first round together.  As we were waiting on #1 tee, he said to others in the group, "I played with this guy 6 weeks ago.  He bogeyed the first hole, walked off the green and said we'll have no more of that, and then went on to make 17 straight pars."

• Like 2

Let's not nitpick the OP. He didn't mean he IS good at golf, especially not relative to a scratch or plus player, but I think what he meant is he has reached the point where he can sort of make the ball go where he wants it to go. At least I think that's what he means?

I don't think I'm "good at golf" but I distinctly remember a couple of points over the years where I was able to produce the ballflight that I wanted. One was maybe 8 years ago after a lesson and grip change finally clicked. I was on the range and it all fell into place. That's been the grip I've used for at least the last 8 years so it wasn't just a fluke day. The second was more recently, when I finally got all the way used to the clubs I was fit for (had never been fit before) and I started having some confidence with my irons and full wedges.  I know I can reproduce the ball flight that I want most of the time with those clubs.

Now my driver is still wild and my short game is prone to leave me completely, so I have plenty of work to do, but it is a good feeling to kind of figure ONE thing out. Maybe that's what the OP meant.

• Like 2

Cobra King Speedzone 9* | Fujikura Atmos black shaft
Cobra King Speedzone Big Tour 3W 
Cobra King Tec 2Hy 
JPX 850 4i | N.S. Pro 850GH S-flex
Mizuno Pro 223 5i-PW | N.S. Pro 950GH S-flex
JPX 850 Forged GW | N.S. Pro 850GH S-flex
MP-T5 54* & 58*
Scotty Cameron Studio Design 1.5 Custom

Just before the golf gods kicked me in the nuts.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Rogue ST Max LS or Paradym 10.5 (9.5) Ventus TR 5 R

Paradym 3HL  NVS 65 R
AI Smoke 21* and 24*
PXG GEN6 XP 2X Black 6-GW MMT 6 or AI Smoke 6-GW Tensei white 75 R

PM Grind 2.0 54 and 58

Bettinardi Innovai Rev 6.0  33” 

E.R.C. Soft TT/ Chrome Soft TT / TM Tour Response '20

13 hours ago, Bubbleshaft8337 said:

So I have dedicated my winter up here in upstate NY to improving my golf game. It just got me the other day when I was at the range. I'm getting really really good for the time I've put into this. I went to a simulator recently, this last Saturday actually. I scored a 79. I had 12 green in regulations, 3 birdies, and it seemed like alot of pars. I got a couple bogeys also. I went to the range this morning before work, and didn't mishit one single ball. Low small fade/draw, high fade/draw, and the famous stinger are now in the bag...

I'm now playing mizuno jpx 900 tour irons, and realizing how beautiful these things are. I know what they are built for, and I can feel like I can use them to their full potential.

I'm not here to brag, I'm sorry if that seems the case! But I wanna ask low handicap, and scratch golfers when did you realize "holy s***, I'm getting good... Really good..."

Let me know please!!!!

man, don't let the people commenting on the simulator score or the confidence boost get you down. confidence in your shot shaping will only help your game get better and better. not to mention, watching your ball do what you wanted it to is crazy fun.

never being satisfied and always wanting to improve isn't mutually exclusive to having an appreciation at your progress in the game. being able to feel like you're proficient at golf means you're going to enjoy it more, and be more excited to practice. that's a very good thing! keep being excited, and keep getting better. congrats!

• Like 1

First time I shot level par. Which was a surprise to be honest. 

I'd got into the habit of not knowing my score as I played, not even counting up after 9. I would tell whoever was making my card I didn't want to know. 

I played in an open scratch comp at quite a difficult course when I was off 6. On a very windy day.

I knew I was playing well as I wasn't scrambling like lots of other people on the day.

It wasn't until my playing partner said my score when counting up that I knew exactly what I shot. - 1 front nine. +1 back 9. Compared to the field I was well under par for the day. 

Came 3rd in the comp to 2 plus HC players. And got pulled to 5. 

It gave me the confidence that I was able to shoot (relatively) good scores. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ColinKelvin said:

I regard myself as a respectable golfer (on a good day) and my handicap hovers around 9-10.  I have shot in the 70s plenty of times, and expect to be in the 80s, but on any given day I could also be in the 90s.  I need to practice more but it's hard to find the time to play more than twice a week.  I really think I need to be playing 4 times a week + to really make progress.

I have never thought to myself "I'm getting really good at golf" and I'm pretty sure I never will.  I am envious of people who do enough to come to that realization though.

Pretty much the same for me. I also think it depends on one's definition for "really good". For me that would be a scratch golfer. 

• Like 1

That's the thing about this game, hardly anyone really thinks that, do they? I mean, unless you're a pro or maybe legit plus handicap?

I've been in the single digits for a while and had a magical month a couple years ago where I got down to a 4.2. All that did for me was make me realize how much better just a 2 or scratch player must be. Because it was hard for me to imagine playing better than I was for that month. How could I possibly find those extra couple of shots per round on a regular basis?

Have never thought, "I'm getting really good". Better than most golfers, sure. But that's only because there are so many bad golfers out there. 🙂

2 hours ago, vbb said:

Let's not nitpick the OP. He didn't mean he IS good at golf, especially not relative to a scratch or plus player, but I think what he meant is he has reached the point where he can sort of make the ball go where he wants it to go. At least I think that's what he means?

I don't think I'm "good at golf" but I distinctly remember a couple of points over the years where I was able to produce the ballflight that I wanted. One was maybe 8 years ago after a lesson and grip change finally clicked. I was on the range and it all fell into place. That's been the grip I've used for at least the last 8 years so it wasn't just a fluke day. The second was more recently, when I finally got all the way used to the clubs I was fit for (had never been fit before) and I started having some confidence with my irons and full wedges.  I know I can reproduce the ball flight that I want most of the time with those clubs.

Now my driver is still wild and my short game is prone to leave me completely, so I have plenty of work to do, but it is a good feeling to kind of figure ONE thing out. Maybe that's what the OP meant.

LOL, you are right - he only wanted to hear from low handicaps and scratch - so not only am I not qualified to answer, I’m no good! 😉

I wasn’t picking on him at all, but now I am!

Edited by Hawkeye77
  • Like 1

I was pretty good in college (30 years ago) and enjoyed it but didn't play more than once or twice a year if at all since until last summer. 

But I joined a club, refreshed my clubs and started putting in the work. I'm actually not bad and am improving. With a goal of 100+ outings this year, I expect to be close to scratch by the end of the year.

Otherwise I'll just keep at it. So far the cost investment has been minimal, so the return has been good so far.

Edited by lefthack

Haywood 1 with Hzrdus Black RDX 70

Haywood 3W PXG 0211 5W

Haywood 18* driving iron

Haywood MB irons 3-PW

Mitsubishi Kuro Kage 80g iron shafts

Haywood 52/10 and 56/12 wedges

Haywood mid mallet putter

Golf Pride Concept Helix grips 

"You're not good enough to get mad at your bad shots!" - Bill Murray

14 hours ago, Bubbleshaft8337 said:

Let me know please!!!!

If you get good enough, only then will realize how trash you actually are at golf. Once I got to scratch I really began to understand how dogsh*t I really was, and still am.

Edited by GoTime
  • Like 3

There is a saying..."you are never as good as you think you are"

Golf is very humbling, but to your point - I really think that one can get to this feeling only after they have broken through many many mental barriers.  Failure leads to success...but you never really 'win'.

Driver (9.0) - Cobra LTDx Aldila Rogue Silver 70 S, 44.5"
Wood (14.5) - Ping G425 MAX Alta CB 65 Slate S

Wood (17.5) - Ping G425 MAX Alta CB 65 Slate S
Driving Iron (20) - Srixon U65 Project X 5.5
Irons (5-6) - Srixon Z565 Project X 5.5
Irons (7-P) - Srixon Z765 Project X 5.5
Wedges - Vokey SM-7 Jet Black / 50.08 F / 54.08 M / 58.08 M DG S300
Putter - Edel E-1
Ball - Titleist Prov1x
ZGrip Midsized Grips