Play with what you want or play with what you should be playing with?

TheGolfingRealtor

So I'm just coming off of elbow surgery. I got my cast off yesterday after 6 weeks of immobility and technically I can't hit balls for another 6 weeks. I can't swing past waist high at the moment. 

Scenario 1:

Mavrik SZ driver or SIM 2

Mavrik SZ 4 wood or ...

Apex 21 Pro hybrid x 2

MP 20 SEL

Zipcore x 3 or T20 x 3

Bettinardi BB1

Scenario 2:

TSi3

TSi2

TSi2 x 2 

T100

SM8 x 3

SC

Scenario 3:

G425 LST

G425 LST

G425 x 2

G425

Glide 3.0 x 3 

PLD

I finished last season as a 3 index, distance isn't there anymore but I hope the surgery helps with that, I rely heavily on the short game so I place a premium on wedge and putter selection. I am hoping to play a little more competitively this year after having a great season last year. If I was playing strictly recreational golf, I would go with Scenario 1. Competitive golf Scenario 2 and if all I cared about was score and winning then Scenario 3. PING clubs have notoriously been short for me but straight and in play. I had a Callaway Epic Flash SZ last year that I put up against my G410 Plus LST and the Callaway blew it away.

I've played with most of the clubs in scenario 1 & 2 and have had excellent results with all of them. The issue is I don't see any performance improvements with any of them. I can play anything here and shoot the same score. They are all pleasing to the eye, sound good and feel good in their own way. How does one choose?

Edit: I played in an even last year. I took 8 clubs out of the bag after the round, put in 8 different clubs and shaved 7 shots off of my score from day 1 and won the event.

8 hours ago, jmurdock81 said:

Why do you have to go with one manufacturer?  How about a mix of all three??  I don’t understand your logic with the three options.  I would pick whatever works best for each club section.  I love Ping clubs, but their woods spin too much for me no matter the shaft , therefore I don’t use them. Other Ping products do work well, so I use those.  

Why do you have club combinations for recreational golf, competitive golf, and “scoring and winning” golf?  Shouldn’t they all be the same?

I don’t know how to best explain it, I am just OCD that way. 

For instance, I don’t like Vokey’s or Scotty’s. They don’t perform bad for me or hurt my scoring and I can tolerate them. Same with PING irons, haven’t found one that I love but can tolerate anything. 

Sounds like you are not giving yourself enough credit...based on your comments - you could put virtually anything in your bag and play very well.

Go with what you feel meets your needs best at this time - don't overthink it.

• Like 2

Driver (9.0) - Cobra LTDx Aldila Rogue Silver 70 S, 44.5"
Wood (14.5) - Ping G425 MAX Alta CB 65 Slate S

Wood (17.5) - Ping G425 MAX Alta CB 65 Slate S
Driving Iron (20) - Srixon U65 Project X 5.5
Irons (5-6) - Srixon Z565 Project X 5.5
Irons (7-P) - Srixon Z765 Project X 5.5
Wedges - Vokey SM-7 Jet Black / 50.08 F / 54.08 M / 58.08 M DG S300
Putter - Edel E-1
Ball - Titleist Prov1x
ZGrip Midsized Grips

1 hour ago, TheGolfingRealtor said:

I don’t know how to best explain it, I am just OCD that way. 

For instance, I don’t like Vokey’s or Scotty’s. They don’t perform bad for me or hurt my scoring and I can tolerate them. Same with PING irons, haven’t found one that I love but can tolerate anything. 

I just don't understand why anyone would pay money for clubs they don't like, just to stay with one brand.  Even pros most often don't have a full 14 bag contract.  Some do, of course, but they also get special builds, grinds, etc.  Play clubs that are best for YOU and ones that YOU like.  Golf is a mental game as well.  If you are comfortable with your equipment and you like it, then that can improve your play.  

• Like 2
  • Taylormade Qi10 LS at 10.5° - Ventus TR Blue
  • Callaway Ai Smoke Triple D (3) 15° - Project X Denali Blue 70
  • Callaway Ai Smoke Triple D (7) 20° -  Mitsubishi Tensei Blue
  • Ping G Crossover 4 - Mitsubishi MMT
  • Srixon ZX5 MKII Black Chrome 5-W, A
  • Titleist SM10 55°F , 60°M
  • Taylormade Spider Tour Z

Some play with what they want to play.  Others like me play with what gives them the best numbers on a launch monitor.  There is no right or wrong answer here. 

• Like 1

Callaway AI Smoke Paradym 💎💎💎9* - Tour AD VF-7TX

TM SIM ti 15* - Diamana GT 80TX

TM Tour Issue Rescue 11 TP Deep Face Proto 16* - Ventus Black HB 9TX

New Level NLU-01 21* - KBS Hybrid Proto 105X

New Level 623-M 5-PW - MMT 125TX

Miura Tour 54* HB - KBS 610 125 S+, New Level SPN forged M-grind 58* - KBS Tour 130X

Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2

2 minutes ago, phizzy30 said:

Some play with what they want to play.  Others like me play with what gives them the best numbers on a launch monitor.  There is no right or wrong answer here. 

Agreed.  I also plays what works for me and gives me the best numbers or consistency.  I just can wrap my head around spending $3,000+ dollars on equipment that I don't like just to stay within the same brand.   

• Taylormade Qi10 LS at 10.5° - Ventus TR Blue
  • Callaway Ai Smoke Triple D (3) 15° - Project X Denali Blue 70
  • Callaway Ai Smoke Triple D (7) 20° -  Mitsubishi Tensei Blue
  • Ping G Crossover 4 - Mitsubishi MMT
  • Srixon ZX5 MKII Black Chrome 5-W, A
  • Titleist SM10 55°F , 60°M
  • Taylormade Spider Tour Z

Scenario 1 would make me the happiest but does happiness improve the mental game? Scenario 1 improves concentration, there are no shots off. Should an amateur play blades when most pro's don't play blades? I've hit everything out there available to lefties and nothing else appeals to me. Or is it the mental side trying to convince myself of that? To be honest it's only the 5 iron that concerns me and I've been thinking about a Apex 21 Pro 5 hybrid.

Everything else on the Scenario 1 list is visually appealing, sounds good and feels good BUT why am I trying to make the game harder?

I'd play more forgiving and easier to hit clubs if my main reason for playing is to shoot scores that can win events. However, my main reason for playing is to see how good I can get and to have fun in the process. 

So if you can nail down your absolute number one reason why you're playing, you can answer the question easily. If I was a tour player, I'd play the most forgiving equipment that would still let me have control over the ball that I want. Players cavity back irons, probably my sponsor's straightest driver, etc... 

• Like 1

TSi3 9.0 (A4)  Tensei Raw Blue 65 Stiff 

TS2 15 (B1) Project X Even Flow White 75 6.0
TS3 19 (C4) Project X Even Flow White 90 6.0
i59 4-W DG 120 S300
Glide Forged Pro (52/56/60) DG 120 S300
Scotty Cameron 009m and Tour Newport 
Pro V1x Yellow 

Unless you can make a living playing golf with what you "should" play, play what you "want" to play with.

• Like 3

Titleist TSR2 9* Black AD DI 6X
Callaway 816 Alpha 14* Aldila Rogue Silver I/O 70S
Taylormade M3 5W Aldila Rogue Black 80X

Srixon ZXU 4 Recoil F5
Titleist T100 5-PW AMT White S300
Vokey SM6 Black 50F, 54F, 58S
Ping Scottsdale Anser Antique Finish Tungsten Weights to 350G
Scotty Cameron 08 Studio Select Newport 2

Since this isn't a living and you're not being paid to play clubs then play what you want as long as you're happy with the decision you make.

• Like 1

Lefty - WITB Thread

Driver: 10° Cobra LTDxLS | AD-IZ 6X 

3W: 15° Callaway Paradym X | AD-IZ 7X

3H: 19° Ping G410 | Tensei CK Pro Orange 90TX

Irons: PXG 0311P 4-6 | 0317CB 7-PW | DG 120 X100

Wedges: SM9 50° - 54° - 58° 

Putter(s): Ping PLD Anser 4K | CMD Gauge R | and more. 

Ball: TP5X 2024

Bag: Ghost Katana

Your very last sentence states you replaced a bunch of clubs and won the event.  I am sorry, did I miss what those clubs were?  7 strokes better than the previous day?  It comes down to this, do you like playing well or do you just like playing?  I am sure winning the event felt nice, I'd venture to say better than the feeling of looking at a complete bag of one OEM.  It's a constant battle, I get it but you have to figure out what you want out of your game.  If it's just to have fun, then play whatever, but if you want to play well why not revisit what was in the bag that won you the event?  Pick the driver that hits the most fariways, irons that get you most GIR and wedges and putter that save the most strokes.  

• Like 2

Titleist TSr2 10*  GD UB 6s

Ping G430 LST 15* HZRDUS smoke yellow 70s

Ping G430 19* Tour Chrome 2.0 85s

Srixon ZX7 mkii 4-7, Z-Forged ii 8-P KBS CTL 110

Ping s159 50/12s, 54/10h, 58/8b  KBS Tour
Ping Anser Milled 2  34"

If you want to just play a casual round with friends play whatever you want. 

If you want to play competitively playing what gives you the best opportunities on the course is best. 

Also since you don’t like vokeys, scotty’s, or ping irons, i wouldn’t force yourself into playing them. But you may be surprised. 

As far as I am concerned social media and Golfwrx is not the place to seek direction.  What others think has no bearing as they do NOT know what you know about you.  Play what's best for you!

• Like 2
  • TSR2 9.25° Ventus Velo TR Blue 58S
  • TSR2 15° AD VF 74S
  • T200 17 2i° Tensei AV Raw White Hybrid 90S
  • T100 3i to PW MMT 105S
  • SM9 F52/12, M58/8, PX Wedge 6.0 120S
  • SC/CA Monterey
  • DASH -ProV1x

15 hours ago, TheGolfingRealtor said:

I've played with most of the clubs in scenario 1 & 2 and have had excellent results with all of them. The issue is I don't see any performance improvements with any of them. I can play anything here and shoot the same score. They are all pleasing to the eye, sound good and feel good in their own way. How does one choose?

At the risk of sounding very condescending... if this statement is true then I don't really understand why you are even asking for advice.

Edited by Abh159
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, Nixhex524 said:

Your very last sentence states you replaced a bunch of clubs and won the event.  I am sorry, did I miss what those clubs were?  7 strokes better than the previous day?  It comes down to this, do you like playing well or do you just like playing?  I am sure winning the event felt nice, I'd venture to say better than the feeling of looking at a complete bag of one OEM.  It's a constant battle, I get it but you have to figure out what you want out of your game.  If it's just to have fun, then play whatever, but if you want to play well why not revisit what was in the bag that won you the event?  Pick the driver that hits the most fariways, irons that get you most GIR and wedges and putter that save the most strokes.  

I started with an all PING bag. After round 1 I left the PING irons in because I didn't have any other iron sets at the time. The 8 replacement clubs that I put in for round 2 were: Epic Flash SZ, Epic Flash 5 wood, Apex 19 Pro 20 & 23, T20 50, 55, 60 and a Bettinardi.

8 hours ago, dbelles1 said:

If you want to just play a casual round with friends play whatever you want. 

If you want to play competitively playing what gives you the best opportunities on the course is best. 

Also since you don’t like vokeys, scotty’s, or ping irons, i wouldn’t force yourself into playing them. But you may be surprised. 

The performance of a Vokey or Scotty is not the issue. It's that they rip off the consumer for every nickel and dime they have for every stamp, paint fill, shaft, grip, ferrule, shaft band etc. $40 more for a raw wedge or to send a Scotty to the custom shop is about the same as a mortgage payment...

1 hour ago, TheGolfingRealtor said:

I started with an all PING bag. After round 1 I left the PING irons in because I didn't have any other iron sets at the time. The 8 replacement clubs that I put in for round 2 were: Epic Flash SZ, Epic Flash 5 wood, Apex 19 Pro 20 & 23, T20 50, 55, 60 and a Bettinardi.

Ok.

I keep reading your OP like I am missing something but the only thing I think that is missing is what you are looking to gain out of your bag next year.  And unfortunately, only you know that.  I realize also, that it can fluctuate...  

You're coming off elbow surgery and may pick up more distance once healed... so does that mean that PING may get the nod since the distance could be back?  You really wont know until you are healed anyway.  You also say you "see no performance gains" and "score the same with everything" yet acknowledged the Callaway blew away the Ping and that you were 7 strokes better when you only left the Ping irons in the bag but changed everything else.  

So it comes down to this.... you go all one brand to satisfy a common OCD that exists around here and possibly have your score suffer, OR, you concede and just use what it best for you in each slot of the bag moving forward and see if you can continue the great play....  I have been there and I am now fully going with whatever works.  Get yourself a bag that has no OEM name on it to curb expectations and find what works best and go out there and continue to win, that's always more fun than saying you play "ALL XXXXXX".  IMO anyway.

Titleist TSr2 10*  GD UB 6s

Ping G430 LST 15* HZRDUS smoke yellow 70s

Ping G430 19* Tour Chrome 2.0 85s

Srixon ZX7 mkii 4-7, Z-Forged ii 8-P KBS CTL 110

Ping s159 50/12s, 54/10h, 58/8b  KBS Tour
Ping Anser Milled 2  34"

21 hours ago, TheGolfingRealtor said:

Scenario 1 would make me the happiest but does happiness improve the mental game? Scenario 1 improves concentration, there are no shots off. Should an amateur play blades when most pro's don't play blades? I've hit everything out there available to lefties and nothing else appeals to me. Or is it the mental side trying to convince myself of that? To be honest it's only the 5 iron that concerns me and I've been thinking about a Apex 21 Pro 5 hybrid.

Everything else on the Scenario 1 list is visually appealing, sounds good and feels good BUT why am I trying to make the game harder?

There are more forgiving blades out there.  For example the irons I play are blades but every bit as playable as a player's cavity back.  The heel to toe length is actually longer than traditional blades hence more forgiving.  I like that I can still shape my shots as well as opposed to cb where it's more difficult to do so IMO.  I call my irons oversized blades.  😁

Callaway AI Smoke Paradym 💎💎💎9* - Tour AD VF-7TX

TM SIM ti 15* - Diamana GT 80TX

TM Tour Issue Rescue 11 TP Deep Face Proto 16* - Ventus Black HB 9TX

New Level NLU-01 21* - KBS Hybrid Proto 105X

New Level 623-M 5-PW - MMT 125TX

Miura Tour 54* HB - KBS 610 125 S+, New Level SPN forged M-grind 58* - KBS Tour 130X

Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2

9 hours ago, Nixhex524 said:

Ok.

I keep reading your OP like I am missing something but the only thing I think that is missing is what you are looking to gain out of your bag next year.  And unfortunately, only you know that.  I realize also, that it can fluctuate...  

You're coming off elbow surgery and may pick up more distance once healed... so does that mean that PING may get the nod since the distance could be back?  You really wont know until you are healed anyway.  You also say you "see no performance gains" and "score the same with everything" yet acknowledged the Callaway blew away the Ping and that you were 7 strokes better when you only left the Ping irons in the bag but changed everything else.  

So it comes down to this.... you go all one brand to satisfy a common OCD that exists around here and possibly have your score suffer, OR, you concede and just use what it best for you in each slot of the bag moving forward and see if you can continue the great play....  I have been there and I am now fully going with whatever works.  Get yourself a bag that has no OEM name on it to curb expectations and find what works best and go out there and continue to win, that's always more fun than saying you play "ALL XXXXXX".  IMO anyway.

I see your point and I see why it may be confusing. When I go to CC, PGA, True Spec everything generally plays the same and the fitter leaves it up to me to choose. Well I am paying hundreds of dollars to find out what’s best for me and not hit all those balls only to end up choosing anyways. 

On the course I have seen performance gains with different clubs. I have been able to pinpoint clubs that I prefer over others in terms of feel, sound and appearance. I’m just worried that I am making the wrong decision because what matters is what’s on the scorecard. 

With the tournaments I want to play this year, the courses will be longer 6600+ which could put a strain at the top end of the bag. 

Right before surgery I went to Scottsdale to play some golf, went to PING @ Kierland to try the new G425 stuff, did a full bag PXG fitting and tried some clubs at PGA. The PXG stuff was great but that ship has sailed now that the Gen2 sale is over. The club that stood out the most was the TSi3 driver. 

I can’t figure out the psychology of why I want to make the game harder or why I need one OEM. 

• Like 1

Paying "hundreds of dollars"?  Pretty easy to find a good fitter and pay less than $200 for a good fitting and get that fee waived with purchase, even if more than that for a full bag except putter fitting.  If you know your specs inside and out like you say should be pretty easy to get fit. This and the Vokeys are a rip off thing has me wondering if it's all the fitters or OEMs that are the issue here. 

Edited by Hawkeye77

It seems like you've created a bunch of rules for yourself such as matched sets and sets optimized for certain situations.

But life is all about tradeoffs.   No one gets to have it all.

Assuming you're not doing this for a living, you choose based on what gives you the most enjoyment, not anyone else.   Is it competing (winning tournaments), scoring our best, or enjoying feeling a well struck shot?  

And in the process of making that choice, instead of think compromises can be eliminated, accept them as the choice you made.   So it doesn't work out.   Make a change where you need to.

On 2/18/2021 at 8:53 AM, phizzy30 said:

When I have gone for fittings, there has rarely been a cleancut winner on all launch monitor points. I normally find two driver (head + shaft) combos or iron (head + shaft) combos which are out-front finalists. But, neither is a hands-down winner.

From there, you go with the one that makes me feel most confident over the ball. If you don't trust a club, it's hard to play well with it.

What's In The Bag (As of April 2023, post-MAX change + new putter)

Driver:  Tour Edge EXS 10.5° (base loft); weights neutral   ||  FWs:  Calla Rogue 4W + 7W

Hybrid:  Calla Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  Calla Mavrik MAX 5i-PW

Wedges*:  Calla MD3: 48°... MD4: 54°, 58° ||  PutterΨSeeMore FGP + SuperStroke 1.0PT, 33" shaft

Ball: 1. Srixon Q-Star Tour / 2. Calla SuperHot (Orange preferred)  ||  Bag: Sun Mountain Three 5 stand bag

* MD4 54°/10 S-Grind replaced MD3 54°/12 W-Grind.

Ψ  Backups:

• Ping Sigma G Tyne (face-balanced) + Evnroll Gravity Grip |
  • Slotline Inertial SL-583F w/ SuperStroke 2.MidSlim (50 gr. weight removed) |