Shanking Long irons Early in the Season for 10 straight years!

I'm decent in golfer and not a complete hack.  Was down to 2 last year but .......

EVERY year since i started golfing I shank the fucccc out of all my long irons.  In the Sim, on the range, on the course It happens.

As the season goes on usually it sorts itself out with the ocassional round ruiner.   Only long irons.

Is there a reason why this happens in march april and may only? I looked at my setup notes from the end of the last season and everything seems fine.

Anyone else with the same problem?

TITLEIST TSI3 10 TOUR AD DI6

TITLEIST TSI2 15 TOUR AD DI7

SRIXON ZX7 3-PW MODUS 120

ZIPCORE 52 56 60

BETTINARDI QUEEN BEE

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I'm also a 2, and I periodically get this. When it happens, I go to the range and place two balls side by side. The outside ball is about 1" to the right of the ball I'm going to hit. I make a smooth,

Was thinking the same. Possibly trying to "help" up the long irons and tilting too much

I am not as a good a golfer as you are but I have had my battles with the shanks.  There are several things that can work to prevent them:

1)  The drill:  Setup normally to the ball and then swing three times missing the ball on the inside each time.  Then go ahead with your normal swing.  I have never seen this one fail...

2)  Adam Young recommended practice which is to practice hitting the ball on different parts of the face of the club for instance hit a shot on the heel and then on the toe.  You can also practice hitting fat and thin shots.  You can practice shanking balls to see what it feels like.  It is not always easy to intentionally shank a ball.

3)  Drop your hands down just a bit at address.  If you are setting up with your hands a bit high and then dropping down at impact you will tend to hit towards the heel.

4)  Understand that shanks are no big deal and only a 1/4" inch from an acceptable shot and 1/2" from a good shot.  I think that you already know that!

5)  There could be some mechanical flaw and I am sure that you will get plenty of answers on that one from others.  LOL mechanical swing fixes have never worked for me...

Driver Maltby KE4 w Aeortech Steelfiber SS65 shaft 46.5”
3 wood Rogue subzero 15 degree with Paderson KG70 F30
Hybrids: 3, 4 and 5 Rogue with Steelfiber HLS980 shaft
Irons: 6 through wedge PXG 0311 with Steelfiber i110cw shaft
Wedge: 50 deg 10 deg bounce MacDaddy 4 S Grind
Wedge: 56 deg 10 deg bounce Jaws S Grind
Wedge: 62 deg 10 deg bounce MacDaddy 4 C Grind (bent to 62 degrees from 60 degrees)
Wedges with steelfiber i110 shafts.
Putter: Strokelab EXO 7; 39.25 inches; 77 degree lie angle; Takimac arthritic grip

I'm also a 2, and I periodically get this. When it happens, I go to the range and place two balls side by side. The outside ball is about 1" to the right of the ball I'm going to hit. I make a smooth, normal swing, and hit the inside ball. I repeat this about 100 times .... and keep doing that drill for at least 1-2 weeks when warming up prior to rounds.

It ingrains the correct swing path, and erases the bad mental pictures and fear.

• Thanks 1
16 hours ago, tigerfan23 said:

I'm decent in golfer and not a complete hack.  Was down to 2 last year but .......

EVERY year since i started golfing I shank the fucccc out of all my long irons.  In the Sim, on the range, on the course It happens.

As the season goes on usually it sorts itself out with the ocassional round ruiner.   Only long irons.

Is there a reason why this happens in march april and may only? I looked at my setup notes from the end of the last season and everything seems fine.

I’m guessing without a video that it’s not your setup but what’s happening during your swing. The vast majority of amateurs even single digit ones move their pelvis closer to the ball during the swing so that at impact you have lost the tushline that was set at address. This moves your torso closer to the ball and you are more likely to hit on the heel. Over time you will learn to compensate by pulling your hands a little closer to your body and hit more in the center but the core fault remains.

I like to see the right hip get deeper on the backswing and actually get behind the tushline. On the downswing keep the pelvis back as you rotate your hips which will maintain the tushline. Zipper away thought is helpful. If you keep the tushline well back throughout the swing your arms have so much room to swing through that hitting on the toe side will be more likely.

If you look at touring pros the vast majority maintain the tushline until well after impact. It really is a fundamental to a sound golf swing.

Possibly not competing the backswing due early season stiffness??

Mizuno ST190 TS Driver Fujikura Atmos 6R

Cobra Radspeed 5W Fujikura Motore X F3 R

Mizuno FliHi Hybrid 4 Recoil ESX F3 R
4 - 6 Mizuno MP18 MMC FliHi Recoil F3 95g R
7 -W Mizuno MP18 SC Recoil F3 95g R
53.08 Vokey SM5
56.08 Vokey SM5
Any one of 5 different Pings!

9 hours ago, sonnygolf said:

Time to start using hybrids. 

I did have a sim max last year 19 deg and it was my fav club in the bag.  I'd have no problem playing 2 hybrids possibly 19 and 23 deg this year

ZIPCORE 52 56 60

BETTINARDI QUEEN BEE

On 2/20/2021 at 2:45 PM, tigerfan23 said:

19 hours ago, Pete O'Tube said:

Possibly not competing the backswing due early season stiffness??

Muscle memory has to come back?

When you say "early in the season", would it be fair to say that you have had some time off from playing? I find that when I have some time off my body doesn't pick up where things left off and I can sway as opposed to turn and that leads to some hosels for me. I wonder if you might be the same? Without video though, pretty much everything on here will be conjecture. 

Titleist TS3 8.5 Even Flow White T1100 6.0
Titleist 915Fd 15 Stiff Rogue Black 
Titleist 915Hd 17.5 Stiff Diamana S+
Titleist T100 4-PW 6.0 Project X LZ
Titleist Vokey SM6 50.08
Titlesist Vokey SM7 56.12 & 60.04
Scotty Cameron Futura 5S
ProV1x 2021

www.youtube.com/oneillgolf

1 hour ago, MattyO1984 said:

When you say "early in the season", would it be fair to say that you have had some time off from playing? I find that when I have some time off my body doesn't pick up where things left off and I can sway as opposed to turn and that leads to some hosels for me. I wonder if you might be the same? Without video though, pretty much everything on here will be conjecture. 

This is my problem 100%

Hard to fix until june though lol

ZIPCORE 52 56 60

BETTINARDI QUEEN BEE

What's your typical ballflight and typical miss?  is it a hook or block?

Driver: Callaway Epic 9* w/ Graphite Design Tour AD M9003
FWY: Taylormade Rocketballz Tp 14.5*
Hybrid: Adams Idea Pro 18*
Irons: Srixon Z765 3-5 iron, z965 6-PW, Project X
54*: Titleist SM6 S grind black finish
58*: Cleveland CG14 1 dot
Putter: Taylormade Daytona Rossa with agsi.

1 minute ago, Krt22 said:

Was thinking the same. Possibly trying to "help" up the long irons and tilting too much

That or EE....either way...the issue is gonna be there with the short irons/driver/etc.....but it's hard to get away with swing faults on long irons and 3 woods off the deck.

Driver: Callaway Epic 9* w/ Graphite Design Tour AD M9003
FWY: Taylormade Rocketballz Tp 14.5*
Hybrid: Adams Idea Pro 18*
Irons: Srixon Z765 3-5 iron, z965 6-PW, Project X
54*: Titleist SM6 S grind black finish
58*: Cleveland CG14 1 dot
Putter: Taylormade Daytona Rossa with agsi.

On 2/22/2021 at 12:25 PM, ferrispgm said:

What's your typical ballflight and typical miss?  is it a hook or block?

miss is hook with irons.  I haven't faded an iron in 15 years.

(In to out path but it's better just a few degrees)

ZIPCORE 52 56 60

BETTINARDI QUEEN BEE

On 2/22/2021 at 12:33 PM, ferrispgm said:

That or EE....either way...the issue is gonna be there with the short irons/driver/etc.....but it's hard to get away with swing faults on long irons and 3 woods off the deck.

I did suffer from EE by not completing my turn but strange I hit 3 wood off the deck fantastic in 2020

ZIPCORE 52 56 60

BETTINARDI QUEEN BEE

8 hours ago, tigerfan23 said:

miss is hook with irons.  I haven't faded an iron in 15 years.

(In to out path but it's better just a few degrees)

Do you block irons dead right at all?

anyway, as an in to out sh*nker myself, I might be able to help. 

When you’re too in to out, you’re probably leaving the clubhead stuck behind you coming into impact. You’ll have to compensate in a few ways to make it back to the ball at all. None of them good. 

With the clubhead stuck behind, it’s probably wide open until the last possible moment. Later in the season, when you’re in better golf shape, you’ll square the clubhead with your hips better. Since it’s early in the season and assuming you haven’t been hitting all winter, you’re probably not getting your hips into the game well enough yet so you have to early extend and flip to square the clubhead. If you’re timing is off as it probably is early in the season then you’ll overflip and hook the ball. If you early extend and don’t flip to catch the club face up, then it will still be wide open coming into impact, exposing the heel. The exposed heel and your body moving toward the ball are a lethal combination for sh*nks. 

So you really need to fix your swing path issue. Some of my checkpoints for in to out sh*nks are:

1. Ball position. Play it more forward. Even ridiculously so if you must. This gives your clubhead a little more time to square and hide the heel. It also forces your path to be less in to out. 

2. Check your weight at address. If you’re too on the toes shift it back more to the heels. Speaking of which. 

3. Swing from the heels. A lot players actually start falling toward the ball right at the beginning of the takeaway. Once your on that path it’s hard to recover so you have to redirect your body from moving toward the ball back away from it right at the beginning of the swing. 

4. Exit hard left. Try to hit big pulls or cut slices from a more forward ball position. This should move your club face impact more toward the toe. If you start hitting toe sh*nks (not likely from where you’re coming from) you know you’re doing it right and just have to dial back a little bit.