ZX5 vs. ZX7 -- a 6HC's review

SeaIsland

I will be moving away from the I210’s to ZX5’s myself. I realize that the ZX5’s are stronger lofted but you can get that in the I210’s as well. The reason I like the ZX5’s is because how easy it was to get the ball up, which is something I struggle with. The also felt just overall easier to hit with extra distance. I did not loose much at all if I miss hit(of the toe) like I do with the I210’s. Each is own, I did not like the z585 at all, but I feel like Srixon got it right with the ZX5’s.

On 4/3/2021 at 6:57 AM, hammergolf said:

Have to tried bending them flatter? That could possibly help move your start line further right, and increase launch and spin. Generally the left miss is caused by either and closed face at impact that decreases launch and spin. 

You might actually want to have your lie angle tested. 

I have always fought a left miss so naturally I have always gravitated to flatter lie angles. 

I got my ZX5’s fitted and when I picked them up my fitter had me test loft and lie. We went through the process and I didn’t say anything but noticed that all of them were showing the same results on the strips. As he was bending them I asked if he was bending them 2 flat and he said “nope, 2 degrees up”. I was shocked and assumed that was going to lead me to hook even worse. He assured me that they way I deliver the club the toe is pointing down. 

Sure enough I played them the next day and only saw one bad miss to the left which was just a bad swing. 

• Like 1

The Zx7 are way too forgiving for a player’s iron. This is unfair... oh, and the PGATSS sims are juiced 🤣

A6135E25-AD51-41DC-93CD-BAA0BDB28751.jpeg

AB8660F4-2800-4D25-8F1A-9EF09816EE67.jpeg

• Like 2

Driver: Callaway Epic Flash SZ 9* w/ Hzrdus Smoke Black

Irons : Callaway Apex Pro '21 5-AW-- S400 (S)

Woods: Callaway Epic Speed 3W

Putter: TM HydroBlast Del Monte 1

On 4/5/2021 at 3:59 PM, Joe Jordan said:

I will be moving away from the I210’s to ZX5’s myself. I realize that the ZX5’s are stronger lofted but you can get that in the I210’s as well. The reason I like the ZX5’s is because how easy it was to get the ball up, which is something I struggle with. The also felt just overall easier to hit with extra distance. I did not loose much at all if I miss hit(of the toe) like I do with the I210’s. Each is own, I did not like the z585 at all, but I feel like Srixon got it right with the ZX5’s.

I'm also currently gaming the i210s and considering the ZX5's. I ordered from the site directly so let's see. Given their location in So Cal hopefully it comes in soon! 

• Like 1

my ZX7 8i showed up today. I actually was walking out the door to head to the range and lo and behold there's a box from Srixon on the front porch 😀. I already had my ZX5 7i in-hand so I took the ZX7 with me. Hit a small bucket off grass - I try to limit to that as I'm slowly coming back from over a year off with elbow tendonitis and need to be careful about elbows, back and neck. And the rest of my beat up body for that matter.

Anywho I went back and forth between the ZX5 7i and ZX7 8i. Both have Recoil 95R shafts, 1/4" long, MMC grips. Was an interesting session. The good news is that I'm finally back making solid contact though I'm still a bit all over the face. My miss right now tends to be towards the toe as I'm still a bit out-to-in.

I found that good strikes with the 8i were going as long as so-so strikes with the 7i. Frankly I was shocked as my second swing with the ZX7 went out to the 150 marker - typically where a decent ZX5 7i has been going. I could certainly feel my mishits more on the ZX7 and had a bit more distance loss, but in going through the small bucket I actually hit a couple with the ZX7 that were sweet, high, and long. I don't think I hit a single shot with the ZX5 that had as good a contact, but my length consistency was better.

I suppose that is how it is supposed to work, but I was shocked at a few I hit with the ZX7. I ordered it in 8i as a test so if I hit it well I figured I'd end up with a mixed set. Have the 8-PW ZX5 on order but am thinking I may order ZX7 9-PW as well and see how it goes. Either way, I think I've found my irons, now it is just working through the details and tightening up the swing.

Edited by nostatic
  • Like 1

AI Smoke Max Tensei Blue 55R | Cleveland Halo XL HyWood 3+ Tensei Blue 55R

G430 4-5H Alta R | Srixon ZX4-5 7i-AW Dart 65R

Glide4 Eye2 56 | Vokey 60 M | Ping Anser 2023

FYI to improve my gapping I bent ZX7 7-PW 1* strong and ZX5 5-6 1* weak,  as I had a big gap from 7 to 6 at stock lofts.  I’m also a fan of the ZX5 GW in with my set. I use the GW for full shots and greenside chipping.  

Edited by ARL67

WITB for 2023  |  Titleist Hybrid-5 Stand Bag
Titleist TSi2 10*  |  Miyazaki Kusala Black 61X

Titleist TSR1 20* & 26* Hybrids  |  Evenflow White 90S

Edel SMS Pro 5-PW |  Steelfiber i110cw-S

Edel SMS GW & LW  |  Steelfiber i110cw-S

Putter  |  Mizuno OMOI-03 Nickel Finish, stock grip

Grips    |  All Clubs With CP2 Wrap Jumbo

On 4/3/2021 at 5:41 PM, Ampire2121 said:

Does anyone know the head weight for the zx7 irons? For some reason I feel like its lighter than the irons I used to play which was mp54.  

I built a set of ZX7 irons last night at D3 swing weight at standard length. They required a 6g tip weight throughout the set with Modus 125X shafts at standard length and Tour Velvet Plus 4 grips (52g). I have built many sets of irons and it is easy to add weight via tip weights vs. remove weight from the heads via drilling out of the hosel which is why most OEM's find a middle ground for over and under length builds. I always thought it was cool that Mizuno had two different head weights for their builds. 

Also worth noting, I pulled the shafts from a set of Miura CB-1008 irons that played +1/4" long and they played spot on at standard in the ZX7's. I can't wait to get these out on the course this evening. 

TSR3 TSi3 3 Wood | 915H 18 |  T150 4-PW Vokey SM9  50, 54, 58 |  Ping PLD Anser 2D

Interesting note about orders with Srixon. 

I ordered 5-PW ZX7 3 weeks ago. Requested D4 swingweight with the 1” over length. The Fitter said Srixon should be able to get it close. 

Out of curiosity I called Srixon directly and asked if they made premanufactured lightweight heads to accommodate for shaft length increases. I wasn’t able to reach anybody so I shot CS an email.  

A week later I had not heard anything so I called Srixon back. I got a hold of someone and the CS representative said they do not make lighter weight heads for swingweighting purposes. 

Interestingly enough, the next day someone at Srixon responded to my email and said that they DO make lighter weight heads and anything over 1/2” standard gets a lightweight head. 
He also said while they do not specifically dial in swingweights by request they will try to get everything as close to what comes in at their standard floor model (standard length) swingweight (whatever that may be). 

I’ll take a look when I get the built sets in. 

53 minutes ago, half_duplex said:

Spend a few hours on the sim a few weeks ago with MP20, JPX forged, MMC, T200 and ZX5. ZX5 was what felt the best. 

Compared to my 704cb, night and day. Think best results were with s200s. They really felt smooth. 

Have you tried them on grass? I'm increasingly convinced that mats are problematic for trying irons (more so for certain swing types).

17 hours ago, nostatic said:

Have you tried them on grass? I'm increasingly convinced that mats are problematic for trying irons (more so for certain swing types).

They definitely are, especially if you have a steep swing path. Srixon is a little difficult to find at clubs that have grass fitting though. 

So yesterday the ZX5 6i showed up, today the ZX5 8-9i. Headed to the range with those along with ZX7 8i and 0211 28* hybrid. Was windy and not warm, and my swing was more erratic than last session. Part of it was the "lesson" going on close to me complete with student's (40-something woman) phone going off - and her answering it multiple times.

Interesting (to me) observations:

I hit the ZX5 6i quite well. Better than the hybrid. I think it will kick the hybrid out of the bag.

I hit the ZX7 8i better (more consistent) than the ZX5 8i.

I could not hit the ZX5 9i to save my life. Something going on with my swing path with the shorter club.

I have ZX7 9-PW en-route. I suspect a mixed set will be the answer, either switching at 8i or 7i (would have to order a ZX7 7i). Also thinking about either ZX5 or ZX4 5i and ditching the other high loft hybrid, just keeping the 3H that I had before. I still prefer looking down at an iron. Old habits...

So I've been playing a mixed set for 3 weeks now. 6-7 in zx5 and 8-PW in zx7, Modus 120S. Wow, such a joy to play. Was initially concerned about lack of spin (I am a very shallow, low spin guy), but I'm getting such great height on my approach shots that this has been a non-issue. As long as I'm putting a good move on the ball I'm being rewarded with increased carry and adequate stopping power over the previous sticks I've been playing. A lot of this is confidence/trust in my recent swing changes but I'm enjoying the feel and playability of these irons A LOT. The only issue I'm having is a pretty sizeable gap between my zx7 pw and my 50* md4.  PW carries 120 and 50* carries 100. Experimenting with a knock down PW where I choke down a bit and it's still hit or miss as my carry exceeds my target more often than not.

So glad I took a chance on these after playing w/ my Dad's set for a round. Waiting on another custom set (KBS TGI 90) to ease some elbow pain.

Edited by rondre3000
  • Like 1

d: Epic Max | f: Rogue 3HL, Apex UW | h1: Apex Super | i: 923 HM | w: MD4 | p: Chalk Spider X SB

I got the ZX7's and love them.  I had been playing blades for years and decided it was time to get some more forgiveness but not sacrifice the look, feel, and performance.

I was previously playing the Apex MB's with DG tour issue X100's.  I'm a 3 handicap now but was as low as scratch in the not too distant past.

I'm about a club longer with these clubs which I expected given the slightly stronger lofts and design of the club.  Performance is great, they are really forgiving but with the limited offset are also really workable.

I am really happy I made the switch.  They look and feel like a blade but play like a forgiving cavity back.  I would compare them most to the last version of the AP2's or the Callaway Apex pro's.

Edited by dbelletrutti
  • Like 3

On 3/30/2021 at 7:31 AM, TigerInTheWoods said:

Agree with your assessment of SF! I had a demo iron with i95 reg and usually play DG X100 or PX 6.5 and I thought it actually felt stable! Very surprising.  Could easily play the stiff version! I see them in my future. Great shafts. 

Funny enough, I had been in a heavier x flex shaft for my irons for as long as I can remember. Friend of mine had me hit his 6 iron with steelfiber i95 stiff, I thought dang that was effortless and flight/spin looked to be identical to my kbs $ taper 130. Took me a little while to jump on the bandwagon but here I am playing i95 stiff and not missing a beat.  

• Like 2

5 hours ago, endy said:

Funny enough, I had been in a heavier x flex shaft for my irons for as long as I can remember. Friend of mine had me hit his 6 iron with steelfiber i95 stiff, I thought dang that was effortless and flight/spin looked to be identical to my kbs $ taper 130. Took me a little while to jump on the bandwagon but here I am playing i95 stiff and not missing a beat.  

That's quite a change, from 130 gram steel to 95 gram graphite.

How long have you been playing the i95s with no problems ?

• Like 1

Callaway Epic Flash SZ 9.0 Ventus Blue 6S

Ping G425 14.5 Fairway Tour AD TP 6X

Ping G425 MAX 20.5 7 wood Diamana Blue 70 S

Titleist 716 AP-1  5-PW, DGS300

Ping Glide Forged, 48, DGS300

Taylormade MG3 52*, 56*, TW 60* DGS200

LAB Mezz Max 34*, RED, BGT Stability

Titleist Pro V1X

22 minutes ago, nsxguy said:

That's quite a change, from 130 gram steel to 95 gram graphite.

How long have you been playing the i95s with no problems ?

Haha I know, doesn’t make sense and really didn’t expect such an easy transition to be honest. As a positive side effect It’s actually helped slow my tempo down too. I tend to get quick, especially with my irons. About a month I believe, had really great results so far. I had just gotten a like new set of 785’s built with $ taper 130 before I switched as well. The the Z Forged i95 combo just produced effortless power. Just a weird equipment thing I never would have tried. Next on the list is the auto flex in the driver 😂

I vote is for Z-Forged.  My only concern is stronger lofts and trailing edge bounce.  Offset is similar to my 620s.

• TSR2 9.25° Ventus Velo TR Blue 58S
  • TSR2 15° AD VF 74S
  • T200 17 2i° Tensei AV Raw White Hybrid 90S
  • T100 3i to PW MMT 105S
  • SM9 F52/12, M58/8, PX Wedge 6.0 120S
  • SC/CA Monterey
  • DASH -ProV1x

Played my first round with them yesterday. Cant complain at all about their performance. I always struggled with a 4 iron, but I used my zx5 4 iron off the tee multiple times and never missed the fairway. I split my to zx7 at the 7 iron, but am considering ordering a 5 and 6 iron in the zx7 as well for practice. They are legit. 

• Like 2

Just got fit with the ZX5s this week. Tried the steelfiber i95R and S, i110 R and S... and also the stock Nippon 105S (and a few others)... and had the best dispersion, distance and control in the Nippon. Didn't have as good numbers with the ZX7s. 

Also tried the Mizzy 921Forged and Tour, Cally Apex and P770s... also liked the 921s, but still couldn't get the same dispersion as I did in the ZX5. 

Looking forward to getting them in and out on the course. My game, and swing, has changed since I got my current set 8 years ago... let's see how "new tech" and better irons work. 😉

Edited by Imp

Ping 430Max 10k / Callaway UW 17 & 21 / Srixon ZX5 Irons (5-AW) / Vokey SM8 56* & 60*, Callaway, 64*

I went from Z945's to Z-Forged, then back to Z945's and now to a combo set with ZX7's 7i-PW, then ZX5's.  I preferred the Z945 over the Z-Forged.  The ZX7 has the same great feel but absolutely a bit more ball speed.  I am finding a consistent 1 club increase over the same number on the sole. They for sure have that same great feel.  

I tend to flip a little at the bottom and any more spin would be detrimental for me personally.  For example, on my home course using the Z945's a stock 8i would be 135ish and stop very near the divot.  Yesterday I hit the ZX7 8i 145ish and it backed up 15 feet to the fringe.  This is my home course so the observation was made on the same green and same pin (apples to apples).

The ZX5 looks and feels surprisingly close to the ZX7.  I think it has to be the best combo candidate in golf today.  They are a little wider and a little hotter.  Now that I have them I might have gone all ZX7 on a re-order, but that extra distance is kind of nice for an aging golfer.  I was pretty repeatable at 190 with the 5i on the range, and that yardage was previously reserved for a choked down 5 hybrid.  

• Like 1

Driver- Titleist TsR2 with Graphite Design Tour AD

4w - Titleist Tsi2 with Tensei Raw Blue shaft

19 Hy - Titleist 818 H1 with Atmos Tour Spec

23 Hy - Titleist 818 with Graphite Design Tour AD-DI shaft

5i-PW - Bridgestone J15 CB with Recoil F4 110 shafts

50,54,and 58 Wilson Staff wedges with SF shafts

Ping Prime Tyne 4 PSD

6 hours ago, Imp said:

Just got fit with the ZX5s this week. Tried the steelfiber i95R and S, i110 R and S... and also the stock Nippon 105S (and a few others)... and had the best dispersion, distance and control in the Nippon. Didn't have as good numbers with the ZX7s. 

Also tried the Mizzy 921Forged and Tour, Cally Apex and P770s... also liked the 921s, but still couldn't get the same dispersion as I did in the ZX5. 

Looking forward to getting them in and out on the course. My game, and swing, has changed since I got my current set 8 years ago... let's see how "new tech" and better irons work. 😉

The 921 Forged were really nice when I demo'd them. Mizuno always measures up. 

• Like 1