ZX5 vs. ZX7 -- a 6HC's review

I will be moving away from the I210’s to ZX5’s myself. I realize that the ZX5’s are stronger lofted but you can get that in the I210’s as well. The reason I like the ZX5’s is because how easy it was to get the ball up, which is something I struggle with. The also felt just overall easier to hit with extra distance. I did not loose much at all if I miss hit(of the toe) like I do with the I210’s. Each is own, I did not like the z585 at all, but I feel like Srixon got it right with the ZX5’s.

• Replies 295
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

its the exchanged rate dummy. 3weeks US is 10 days Canadian. 

I was ready to place my order for the ZX5's... replacing the 4 iron with the 4/Utility, and go with the TM Sim2 3 and 5 woods, because the top set gaps for me were perfect. I am a club junkie, so I re

Tried ZX5 and ZX7 and the 5 felt a lot more forgiving to me. Anyone saying they’re the same hits the center of the clubface a lot better and more regularly than I do 😃. I don’t think people are exagge

Posted Images

On 4/3/2021 at 6:57 AM, hammergolf said:

Have to tried bending them flatter? That could possibly help move your start line further right, and increase launch and spin. Generally the left miss is caused by either and closed face at impact that decreases launch and spin. 

You might actually want to have your lie angle tested. 

I have always fought a left miss so naturally I have always gravitated to flatter lie angles. 

I got my ZX5’s fitted and when I picked them up my fitter had me test loft and lie. We went through the process and I didn’t say anything but noticed that all of them were showing the same results on the strips. As he was bending them I asked if he was bending them 2 flat and he said “nope, 2 degrees up”. I was shocked and assumed that was going to lead me to hook even worse. He assured me that they way I deliver the club the toe is pointing down. 

Sure enough I played them the next day and only saw one bad miss to the left which was just a bad swing. 

• Like 1
On 4/5/2021 at 3:59 PM, Joe Jordan said:

I will be moving away from the I210’s to ZX5’s myself. I realize that the ZX5’s are stronger lofted but you can get that in the I210’s as well. The reason I like the ZX5’s is because how easy it was to get the ball up, which is something I struggle with. The also felt just overall easier to hit with extra distance. I did not loose much at all if I miss hit(of the toe) like I do with the I210’s. Each is own, I did not like the z585 at all, but I feel like Srixon got it right with the ZX5’s.

I'm also currently gaming the i210s and considering the ZX5's. I ordered from the site directly so let's see. Given their location in So Cal hopefully it comes in soon! 

• Like 1

my ZX7 8i showed up today. I actually was walking out the door to head to the range and lo and behold there's a box from Srixon on the front porch 😀. I already had my ZX5 7i in-hand so I took the ZX7 with me. Hit a small bucket off grass - I try to limit to that as I'm slowly coming back from over a year off with elbow tendonitis and need to be careful about elbows, back and neck. And the rest of my beat up body for that matter.

Anywho I went back and forth between the ZX5 7i and ZX7 8i. Both have Recoil 95R shafts, 1/4" long, MMC grips. Was an interesting session. The good news is that I'm finally back making solid contact though I'm still a bit all over the face. My miss right now tends to be towards the toe as I'm still a bit out-to-in.

I found that good strikes with the 8i were going as long as so-so strikes with the 7i. Frankly I was shocked as my second swing with the ZX7 went out to the 150 marker - typically where a decent ZX5 7i has been going. I could certainly feel my mishits more on the ZX7 and had a bit more distance loss, but in going through the small bucket I actually hit a couple with the ZX7 that were sweet, high, and long. I don't think I hit a single shot with the ZX5 that had as good a contact, but my length consistency was better.

I suppose that is how it is supposed to work, but I was shocked at a few I hit with the ZX7. I ordered it in 8i as a test so if I hit it well I figured I'd end up with a mixed set. Have the 8-PW ZX5 on order but am thinking I may order ZX7 9-PW as well and see how it goes. Either way, I think I've found my irons, now it is just working through the details and tightening up the swing.

Edited by nostatic
  • Like 1

G400Max Xtorsion 60S | F9 3W - 3H Devo 7-8S - RadSpeed 7W Motore F3R | 0211 5-6H Riptide  80R

ZX5/7 6-PW Recoil 95R | cbx2 50 Recoil 95R | Glide 56 eye2 - 58TS | Stroke Lab Double Wide

FYI to improve my gapping I bent ZX7 7-PW 1* strong and ZX5 5-6 1* weak,  as I had a big gap from 7 to 6 at stock lofts.  I’m also a fan of the ZX5 GW in with my set. I use the GW for full shots and greenside chipping.  

Edited by ARL67

WITB: Sun Mountain 4.5LS
Titleist TSi2 11* with Evenflow White 65

Titleist TSi2 18* hybrid with Evenflow White 90
Titleist TS2 23* hybrid with Accra FX300H
Srixon ZX7 / ZX5 4-GW with Steelfiber i110cw
Cleveland RTX Zipcore 54* & 58* Full with Steelfiber i110cw
Seemore Platinum M7 Tour with SS Flatso 3.0
Set #2: MP-18 MMC 5-PW with Steelfiber i95cw
Set #3: MP-18 MMC 5-PW with Steelfiber i110cw
Set #4: MP-4 5-PW with Steelfiber i110cw

On 4/3/2021 at 5:41 PM, Ampire2121 said:

Does anyone know the head weight for the zx7 irons? For some reason I feel like its lighter than the irons I used to play which was mp54.  

I built a set of ZX7 irons last night at D3 swing weight at standard length. They required a 6g tip weight throughout the set with Modus 125X shafts at standard length and Tour Velvet Plus 4 grips (52g). I have built many sets of irons and it is easy to add weight via tip weights vs. remove weight from the heads via drilling out of the hosel which is why most OEM's find a middle ground for over and under length builds. I always thought it was cool that Mizuno had two different head weights for their builds. 

Also worth noting, I pulled the shafts from a set of Miura CB-1008 irons that played +1/4" long and they played spot on at standard in the ZX7's. I can't wait to get these out on the course this evening. 

TSi3 TS3 3 Wood | 818H2 19 Srixon ZX7 4-PW | Vokey SM8 50, 54, 58 | Byron DH89 LongNeck

Interesting note about orders with Srixon. 

I ordered 5-PW ZX7 3 weeks ago. Requested D4 swingweight with the 1” over length. The Fitter said Srixon should be able to get it close. 

Out of curiosity I called Srixon directly and asked if they made premanufactured lightweight heads to accommodate for shaft length increases. I wasn’t able to reach anybody so I shot CS an email.  

A week later I had not heard anything so I called Srixon back. I got a hold of someone and the CS representative said they do not make lighter weight heads for swingweighting purposes. 

Interestingly enough, the next day someone at Srixon responded to my email and said that they DO make lighter weight heads and anything over 1/2” standard gets a lightweight head. 
He also said while they do not specifically dial in swingweights by request they will try to get everything as close to what comes in at their standard floor model (standard length) swingweight (whatever that may be). 

I’ll take a look when I get the built sets in. 

53 minutes ago, half_duplex said:

Spend a few hours on the sim a few weeks ago with MP20, JPX forged, MMC, T200 and ZX5. ZX5 was what felt the best. 

Compared to my 704cb, night and day. Think best results were with s200s. They really felt smooth. 

Have you tried them on grass? I'm increasingly convinced that mats are problematic for trying irons (more so for certain swing types).

G400Max Xtorsion 60S | F9 3W - 3H Devo 7-8S - RadSpeed 7W Motore F3R | 0211 5-6H Riptide  80R

ZX5/7 6-PW Recoil 95R | cbx2 50 Recoil 95R | Glide 56 eye2 - 58TS | Stroke Lab Double Wide

17 hours ago, nostatic said:

Have you tried them on grass? I'm increasingly convinced that mats are problematic for trying irons (more so for certain swing types).

They definitely are, especially if you have a steep swing path. Srixon is a little difficult to find at clubs that have grass fitting though. 

Driver: Callaway Epic Flash SZ 9* w/ Hzrdus Smoke Black

Irons : Wilson D7 Forged 4-G w/ KBS Tour | Epic Flash 3h w/ Tensei Silver

Putter: Odyssey Stroke Lab V-Line Center Shaft

Upgraded to the #ThreePuttPrince. 👑

So yesterday the ZX5 6i showed up, today the ZX5 8-9i. Headed to the range with those along with ZX7 8i and 0211 28* hybrid. Was windy and not warm, and my swing was more erratic than last session. Part of it was the "lesson" going on close to me complete with student's (40-something woman) phone going off - and her answering it multiple times.

Interesting (to me) observations:

I hit the ZX5 6i quite well. Better than the hybrid. I think it will kick the hybrid out of the bag.

I hit the ZX7 8i better (more consistent) than the ZX5 8i.

I could not hit the ZX5 9i to save my life. Something going on with my swing path with the shorter club.

I have ZX7 9-PW en-route. I suspect a mixed set will be the answer, either switching at 8i or 7i (would have to order a ZX7 7i). Also thinking about either ZX5 or ZX4 5i and ditching the other high loft hybrid, just keeping the 3H that I had before. I still prefer looking down at an iron. Old habits...

So I've been playing a mixed set for 3 weeks now. 6-7 in zx5 and 8-PW in zx7, Modus 120S. Wow, such a joy to play. Was initially concerned about lack of spin (I am a very shallow, low spin guy), but I'm getting such great height on my approach shots that this has been a non-issue. As long as I'm putting a good move on the ball I'm being rewarded with increased carry and adequate stopping power over the previous sticks I've been playing. A lot of this is confidence/trust in my recent swing changes but I'm enjoying the feel and playability of these irons A LOT. The only issue I'm having is a pretty sizeable gap between my zx7 pw and my 50* md4.  PW carries 120 and 50* carries 100. Experimenting with a knock down PW where I choke down a bit and it's still hit or miss as my carry exceeds my target more often than not.

So glad I took a chance on these after playing w/ my Dad's set for a round. Waiting on another custom set (KBS TGI 90) to ease some elbow pain.

Edited by rondre3000
  • Like 1

d: Mavrik | f: ST-Z | h1: X Hot | h2: Mavrik | i: zx5/7 | w: MD4 | p: Chalk Spider X SB

I got the ZX7's and love them.  I had been playing blades for years and decided it was time to get some more forgiveness but not sacrifice the look, feel, and performance.

I was previously playing the Apex MB's with DG tour issue X100's.  I'm a 3 handicap now but was as low as scratch in the not too distant past.

I'm about a club longer with these clubs which I expected given the slightly stronger lofts and design of the club.  Performance is great, they are really forgiving but with the limited offset are also really workable.

I am really happy I made the switch.  They look and feel like a blade but play like a forgiving cavity back.  I would compare them most to the last version of the AP2's or the Callaway Apex pro's.

Edited by dbelletrutti
  • Like 3
On 3/30/2021 at 7:31 AM, TigerInTheWoods said:

Agree with your assessment of SF! I had a demo iron with i95 reg and usually play DG X100 or PX 6.5 and I thought it actually felt stable! Very surprising.  Could easily play the stiff version! I see them in my future. Great shafts. 

Funny enough, I had been in a heavier x flex shaft for my irons for as long as I can remember. Friend of mine had me hit his 6 iron with steelfiber i95 stiff, I thought dang that was effortless and flight/spin looked to be identical to my kbs $ taper 130. Took me a little while to jump on the bandwagon but here I am playing i95 stiff and not missing a beat.  

• Like 2

Ping G425 LST 9* Fujikura Ventus Black 7X 
Ping G425 LST 14.5* Fujikura Ventus Black 8X
Ping G425 19* Fujikura Ventus Black 10TX 
Srixon Z Forged 4-GW Steelfiber i95  
Cleveland ZipCore 54/58 DG TI Spinner 
PXG Gen 2 Operator Stability Tour 
ProV1X Left Dash / Tour BX

5 hours ago, endy said:

Funny enough, I had been in a heavier x flex shaft for my irons for as long as I can remember. Friend of mine had me hit his 6 iron with steelfiber i95 stiff, I thought dang that was effortless and flight/spin looked to be identical to my kbs $ taper 130. Took me a little while to jump on the bandwagon but here I am playing i95 stiff and not missing a beat.  

That's quite a change, from 130 gram steel to 95 gram graphite.

How long have you been playing the i95s with no problems ?

• Like 1

Want more posters to read and reply ? "[EMBRACE] THE LINE BREAK"

Callaway Epic Flash SZ Triple Diamond 9.0 Tour AD TP-6 Stiff

Ping G400 hybrid, 19*, 70 gr Stock Stiff

Ping G20, 5-PW, DGS300

Ping Glide Forged, 48, 52, 60, DGS300

Vokey SM8 56/08 (Thanks WRX !!!)

Seemore MT7 Face Balanced (Today)

Chrome Soft Truvis Yellow/Black

22 minutes ago, nsxguy said:

That's quite a change, from 130 gram steel to 95 gram graphite.

How long have you been playing the i95s with no problems ?

Haha I know, doesn’t make sense and really didn’t expect such an easy transition to be honest. As a positive side effect It’s actually helped slow my tempo down too. I tend to get quick, especially with my irons. About a month I believe, had really great results so far. I had just gotten a like new set of 785’s built with $ taper 130 before I switched as well. The the Z Forged i95 combo just produced effortless power. Just a weird equipment thing I never would have tried. Next on the list is the auto flex in the driver 😂

Ping G425 LST 9* Fujikura Ventus Black 7X 
Ping G425 LST 14.5* Fujikura Ventus Black 8X
Ping G425 19* Fujikura Ventus Black 10TX 
Srixon Z Forged 4-GW Steelfiber i95  
Cleveland ZipCore 54/58 DG TI Spinner 
PXG Gen 2 Operator Stability Tour 
ProV1X Left Dash / Tour BX

I vote is for Z-Forged.  My only concern is stronger lofts and trailing edge bounce.  Offset is similar to my 620s.

• Titleist TS2 9.5', Ventus 5 "S"
  • Titleist TS2 16', Ventus 7 "S"
  • Titleist 718 T-MB 17' 2i Tensei AV White AM "S"
  • Titleist 620 Series 3i-PW Tensei AV White AM "S"
  • SM6 F-52/8 Tensei AV White AM "S"
  • SM6 M-58/8 DGS200 "S"
  • SC CA Monterey
  • ProV1x, AVX, ProV1