ZX5 vs. ZX7 -- a 6HC's review

SeaIsland

First full round with the zx yesterday. Gusty 20-30 mph winds, sun but dipping below 60* and my playing partner bowed out. Always interesting to hit clubs in context with varying slopes, etc. Given where my swing is, I had low expectations but happy to play 18 for the first time in 2+ years. Guy I ended up playing with had recently had a hip replacement so he was likewise just happy to be out (he was early 50s).

Driver was really good - mostly dead straight. Irons were ok, no major flub shots, just some lost distance from not great contact. Highlight was 145y par 3, wind had dropped to a slight tail wind, hit a smooth zx7 8i that was about a yard from being perfect. Hit a downslope on the green and kicked it 25 feet away but was right on line and that distance is what I used to hit my 8i decades ago. Also the zx5 6i got a workout and was really solid. The other standout was cbx2 52* wedge. Very well behaved on 50-60y partial swing shots.

looking forward to the next round so I can better figure out gapping, and hope the zx5 5i shows up soon as I could have used that a few times. Edging closer to adding maybe zx4 4i as well. Later today is some range balls to work on the swing and try a demo zx5 driver. After yesterday it will really have to perform to beat the G400Max though. Life is an experiment…

AI Smoke Max Tensei Blue 55R | Cleveland Halo XL HyWood 3+ Tensei Blue 55R

G430 4-5H Alta R | Srixon ZX4-5 7i-AW Dart 65R

Glide4 Eye2 56 | Vokey 60 M | Ping Anser 2023

Returned back to Srixon after a few years with Mizuno MP18 MMC. So glad I made the switch back. The ZX7 are so butter off the face and decided to make a shaft change from what I was using before which was steelfiber i95s to LA golf 105S. Amazing combo and I can tell the balance point is not as head heavy even though I play at D4. A lot more smooth than the steelfiber.  For those waiting, it’s worth the wait. I waited exactly 1 month. PW is bent to 45 degrees from 46 as my Edel wedges are 49, 54, and 59.  Otherwise lofts the same from Srixon and bent 0.5 degrees upright. 

I hit the ZX5 too high and was spinny so hence no combo yet. I thought I would need it but the forgiveness is awesome. Note I was coming from MP20 HMB 4-6 and MP18 MMC 7-PW. 

84C13F88-AC57-4876-A5ED-3B1568B5EEA2.jpeg

589EF017-DFBB-47F6-A8A0-8CD2EEAAB238.jpeg

F308D329-A41F-4013-A59C-410461FE03E6.jpeg

• Like 1

13 hours ago, gsrjc said:

Returned back to Srixon after a few years with Mizuno MP18 MMC. So glad I made the switch back. The ZX7 are so butter off the face and decided to make a shaft change from what I was using before which was steelfiber i95s to LA golf 105S. Amazing combo and I can tell the balance point is not as head heavy even though I play at D4. A lot more smooth than the steelfiber.  For those waiting, it’s worth the wait. I waited exactly 1 month. PW is bent to 45 degrees from 46 as my Edel wedges are 49, 54, and 59.  Otherwise lofts the same from Srixon and bent 0.5 degrees upright. 

I hit the ZX5 too high and was spinny so hence no combo yet. I thought I would need it but the forgiveness is awesome. Note I was coming from MP20 HMB 4-6 and MP18 MMC 7-PW. 

84C13F88-AC57-4876-A5ED-3B1568B5EEA2.jpeg

589EF017-DFBB-47F6-A8A0-8CD2EEAAB238.jpeg

F308D329-A41F-4013-A59C-410461FE03E6.jpeg

Sup w/ the mismatch shaft logo orienatation though????

d: Epic Max | f: Rogue 3HL, Apex UW | h1: Apex Super | i: 923 HM | w: MD4 | p: Chalk Spider X SB

19 minutes ago, rondre3000 said:

Sup w/ the mismatch shaft logo orienatation though????

Shafts were pured? 

• Thanks 1

Driver: Cobra LTDxLS @ 9º (8.25º) w/ Fujikura Speeder TR 661s

Fairway: Callaway Mavrik 4W @ 16º w/ ProjectX Evenflow Black 70s

Hybrid: Sub70 939x 4H @ 21º w/ ProjectX Black Hybrid 6.0

Irons: Artisan HC 4/5 w/ Steelfiber i95cw Stiff; 6-PW w/ Steelfiber i110cw Stiff

Wedges: Artisan Raw 51º, 56º, 61º w/ Modus 120s (to  be re-shafted with Steelfibers to match irons)

Putter: Artisan 0318 Deep Milled

I ordered a combo set with the 4i/5i in the zx5. Received these first two irons and waiting for balance if the 7’s. I’m coming from mizuno mp18 sc. modus 120 in both old and new clubs. 

first reactions: the zx5 really wants to climb. Was hitting the zx5 5i way higher than mizuno 6 iron, and obviously way longer.  The zx5 are incredibly easy to hit, but I did find them difficult to compress as compared to mizuno. Granted it was first range session with them, but I never got the feedback that a shot was really buttoned, even though the results were good. Depending how the Zx7 feel when they come in and my continued results, I may order an extra 5i in the Zx7.

In my area the teenage to age 40 crowd of scratch handicap players seems to be going with an all ZX7 bag. The age 40 to 70 handicap 0-8 players seem to be mixing ZX7 (wedge thru 7-iron) with ZX5 for the 6 and 5 irons.

Cleveland TL310 10.5* driver

Cleveland HB Launcher 15* 3-wood

Srixon H65  19* 3 hybrid and 22* 4 hybrid

Mizuno MP63 5 thru 9-iron

Cleveland RTX 48-52-56-64 wedges

Scotty Cameron Classic III putter

6 hours ago, Fairway14 said:

In my area the teenage to age 40 crowd of scratch handicap players seems to be going with an all ZX7 bag. The age 40 to 70 handicap 0-8 players seem to be mixing ZX7 (wedge thru 7-iron) with ZX5 for the 6 and 5 irons.

...and in sunny Florida, the 60 and over 13 hcp crowd (me) are going all ZX5/Modus 105!

• Like 1

Trying to figure out how much wider the ZX5 sole is than the Mavrik Pro, if at all.  Was looking at upgrading to a combo set of the Apex 21/Apex 21 Pro.  Now, I'm also looking at the ZX5/ZX7 as a combo set.  Anyone have an idea the size difference?  I think the Mavrik Pro and the Apex 21 are of similar size.

advice people to try a zx7/zxU combo!  The zxUs are tremendous. 

10 played at 9.25 TSI2 w/ Ventus Black 6x

16.5 degree TSI2 w/ Ventus Blue 7x

19 degree Sim Max Hybrid w/ Ventus Blue 8x/ZXU 3 Recoil 95 f5

ZXU 4 w/ Recoil 95 F5

5-p ZX7 Nippon Modus 120x 

SM8 52f/56S/60D 

Bettinardi Inovai 6.0, Sik Flo w/ LAGolf Shaft, Toulon Las Vegas, Special Select Newport 2 custom, Bettinardi Queen B 6

Have the ZX5/ZX7 combo set and they are... outstanding. 

• Like 1

10.5˚ TaylorMade Stealth Plus

18° Titleist TSR2 5 Wood

21° Titleist TSR2 7 Wood

4-PW Titleist T100s Black

50˚ Titleist SM8 Black

54˚ Titleist SM8 Black

60˚ Titleist SM8 Black

Bettinardi Hive 8.0

Bridgestone Tour B-XS

The ZX-5's acquitted themselves quite well in this test. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TyVHp6UJXpk

Edited by me05501
  • Like 1

Paradym TD 10.5/Tensei Blue 65R

TM BRNR Mini 13.5

Callaway Rogue Max D 3 wood

Paradym 4 hybrid

Srixon ZX5 / ZX7 on MMT 125S

Srixon Z785 AW

Cleveland RTX6 54/58

Cleveland Huntington Beach Soft 11S

Collings OM1-ESS

So I own the z565 with stock Nippon pro shafts and overall love them.

Last year got good deal on new cobra forged tecs so bought them. They weren't better. Maybe my custom order was wrong as went .25 short ( am 5'8) and 1 flat with stiff $tsper lite shafts. Missed right a lot as if ball wouldn't turn over for a draw.

Fast forward this year and was thinking of replacing the forged tecs.

Went to demo the zx5,7 against the forged tecs as I have good trade in deal.

Looks wise Srixon are nicer at address less offset and better topline.

Was hitting zx5 with modus tour 105s and zx7 with the 120s

And was using the stock forged tecs off the demo cart so std loft lie and length.

First thing I noticed was feel. The hollow forged tecs felt the best. Was a dense yet solid and soft feel. The zx5 was a bit clicky and the zx7 was solid but also not as dense feeling as the Cobra.

Next thing I noticed was the spin difference.

The zx5 7 iron using a prov1 was getting sounding the mid to high 4000 range.

Zx7 was hitting the mid to high 5000 range

Cobra hit 6000 to 6500.

Launch angles were all within 1 degree.

Ball speed was highest zx5 at 115 to 120

Cobra was 114 to 119

Zx7 112 to 118

Dispersion was best by far with Cobra.

No matter how hard I swung every thing was straight to a 3 yard draw.

The zx5 wanted to go left.

Zx7 was close to cobra but not as good.

So the cobra's despite less loft were the highest spinning straightest and best feeling.

They were in between the 5 and the 7 distance wise but thing that was mostly about spin.

So I think I won't rush to replace them with the Srixon as I joined a new course this year and the greens are firmer and faster so approach soon will be key to holding greens.

It is too bad as I love the looks and my old 565 were long soaring clubs.

Now the question I have is could 1/4 inch and 1 degree flat have such an effect on my results? I can't believe how good I hit the Cobra in store and have not seen that often on course last year.

In fairness am working on a swing adjustment after long layoff over winter due to Covid restrictions and maybe I am finally getting swing grooved in (started to see ball striking improvement after last range session last week).

Edited by mitchdoc

On 5/9/2021 at 3:51 PM, Steelhead said:

...and in sunny Florida, the 60 and over 13 hcp crowd (me) are going all ZX5/Modus 105!

In my house the 64 year old is playing all ZX7 with modus 125s. 

Age has little to do with club fitting!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Titleist TSR4 9° Fujikura Ventus VC Red 5S

Titleist TSi3 strong 3w 13.5° Tensei AV White 70

Titleist TS3 19°  hybrid Tensei Blue/Titleist TS3 23° Tensei Blue

Titleist T150 5-pw Nippon Pro Modus 125

Vokey SM8 50° F & 56° M SM9 60°M

Cameron Newport w/ flow neck by Lamont/ Cameron Del Mar

As a 5-6 HC I thought I would chime in on my experience with the ZX5 and ZX7's. I went to test graphite shaft options at a local clubfitter with Trackman and ended up trying a few different iron heads as well. I'm generally in the 85-88 mph range with 6 iron with a quick transition and -4 AoA. I ended up hitting the Steelfiber i95's best with multiple heads so compared the two Srixon heads using that shaft. My baseline gamers (716 AP2's with DGs300) exhibited the following for ball speed, launch angle, spin, height, landing angle and carry:

BS - 119, LA - 15.4, S - 5459 , H - 83 , Landing 44.1, C - 170

The ZX7 numbers were as follows:

BS - 122, LA - 13.3, S - 5009 , H - 76 , Landing 41.2, C - 177.8

The ZX5 numbers were as follows: 

BS - 124.9, LA - 14.5, S - 4916 , H - 86 , Landing 43.6, C - 182.8

Going from heavy steel to lighter graphite I was expecting ball speed gains and distance but was a bit shocked that the I could not get the ZX7's to work for me and the lower spin numbers generally. I really liked the look and feel of the ZX7's but I just hit low bullets with them that were  borderline playable. The ZX5's felt great and really performed, the spin above is a bit low but I had a couple shots dragging the average down. Average carry was pretty good and consistent as well, good shots were all within 10 yards or so of each other. 

Off Topic, also saw great numbers with the Steelfibers on the latest X-Forged and T100's. Both of these heads did not look forgiving but were very solid performers with gains shown against my 716's. I wanted to go graphite and forgiving but may just stick to players heads and graphite shafts.    

28 minutes ago, cbjuhr said:

As a 5-6 HC I thought I would chime in on my experience with the ZX5 and ZX7's. I went to test graphite shaft options at a local clubfitter with Trackman and ended up trying a few different iron heads as well. I'm generally in the 85-88 mph range with 6 iron with a quick transition and -4 AoA. I ended up hitting the Steelfiber i95's best with multiple heads so compared the two Srixon heads using that shaft. My baseline gamers (716 AP2's with DGs300) exhibited the following for ball speed, launch angle, spin, height, landing angle and carry:

Going from heavy steel to lighter graphite I was expecting ball speed gains and distance but was a bit shocked that the I could not get the ZX7's to work for me and the lower spin numbers generally. I really liked the look and feel of the ZX7's but I just hit low bullets with them that were  borderline playable. The ZX5's felt great and really performed, the spin above is a bit low but I had a couple shots dragging the average down. Average carry was pretty good and consistent as well, good shots were all within 10 yards or so of each other. 

Off Topic, also saw great numbers with the Steelfibers on the latest X-Forged and T100's. Both of these heads did not look forgiving but were very solid performers with gains shown against my 716's. I wanted to go graphite and forgiving but may just stick to players heads and graphite shafts.    

If you were hitting off mats, I would not be surprised that with a -4 AoA that it wasn't working for you. Hit them off grass. If you were hitting off grass, then maybe it just doesn't work for you.

fwiw, today's range session was ZX7 9i and PW along with CBX2 50 and 52 wedges. Recoil 95R shafts (I've had SF 95i R, the Recoil is a bit smoother but I don't have a quick transition). Things are finally clicking and only a few poorly struck shots. The PW was flying 115-120 with range balls, 9i was about 130. When I put a good strike on the ball, it was high and I'm sure spinning well (based on how it landed). If I was a bit thin or thick, lower trajectory and less spin. But I'm hitting down on it and taking divots. A mat won't let me do that.

AI Smoke Max Tensei Blue 55R | Cleveland Halo XL HyWood 3+ Tensei Blue 55R

G430 4-5H Alta R | Srixon ZX4-5 7i-AW Dart 65R

Glide4 Eye2 56 | Vokey 60 M | Ping Anser 2023

2 hours ago, cbjuhr said:

I believe the AP2s are also a weaker loft.  I weakened the ZX7s 1 degree coming from Mp-59 to better fit gapping purposes.  FWIW I am a higher spin player so it wasn’t done for spin numbers but I am carrying about 7 yards farther with the zx7 which I can only attribute to better ball speeds and more forgiving and consistent face.  Again May not be same for you but I would consider having your fitter bend zx7 at least 1* weak and possibly 2* on the zx5 and see how those numbers compare to your gamer.

Edited by ddherman
Spelling

31 minutes ago, nezander said:

Any reason why this particular post is pinned so it never drops off the top of this forum?  I'm starting to subconsciously think that ZX5 vs ZX7 is the most important and impactful golf topic in history, which can't be true because BDC doesn't use either of them...

Any particular reason why people continue to point out this post being pinned? I'm starting to subconsciously think these people are sensitive to how free internet forums format their threads.  😉

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

d: Epic Max | f: Rogue 3HL, Apex UW | h1: Apex Super | i: 923 HM | w: MD4 | p: Chalk Spider X SB

20 hours ago, nezander said:

Any reason why this particular post is pinned so it never drops off the top of this forum?  I'm starting to subconsciously think that ZX5 vs ZX7 is the most important and impactful golf topic in history, which can't be true because BDC doesn't use either of them...

Because they feel like it. 

Ping 430Max 10k / Callaway UW 17 & 21 / Srixon ZX5 Irons (5-AW) / Vokey SM8 56* & 60*, Callaway, 64*

20 hours ago, nezander said:

Because they can.

Ping G430 Max 10.5

Ping G430 5&7 Wood

Ping G430 19°,22° Hybrids

PXG Gen 6 XP's 7-SW

Ping Glide 58ES Wedge

Ping PLD DS72 

If a person gets mad at you for telling the truth, they're living a lie.

On 5/4/2021 at 6:53 AM, braincramp52 said:

This thread sure has gone off the tracks again . I'm surprised it keeps finding its way back on.

I know what you mean, 

Driver: Cobra  50th Anniversary Edition Aerojet 10.5 w/Graphite Design Tour AD IZ4 

3W: Callaway  Paradym X 3w/ Graphite Design Tour AD CQ5  

5/7W: Callaway Paradym X / Project X Hzrdus Gen 4 silver 5.5

Irons:  Titleist T-350 w/Aerotech i80r

Wedges:  Cleveland RTX 6 ZipCore 48* and 54* w/Aerotech i95r

Putter:  ENVROLL E2 34" with Stability Fire shaft  w/ Oversize Black PURE grip (rotate) ODESSEY EYE TRAX 2-BALL w/BGT Stability Carbon 33" 2 Thumb OG Lite 31 black grip

So let's try to get this to 16 pages, come on fellow ZX5 and ZX7 players you can do it. Seriously time to un-📌 this topic. Someone start a new one 

Driver: Cobra  50th Anniversary Edition Aerojet 10.5 w/Graphite Design Tour AD IZ4 

3W: Callaway  Paradym X 3w/ Graphite Design Tour AD CQ5  

5/7W: Callaway Paradym X / Project X Hzrdus Gen 4 silver 5.5

Irons:  Titleist T-350 w/Aerotech i80r

Wedges:  Cleveland RTX 6 ZipCore 48* and 54* w/Aerotech i95r

Putter:  ENVROLL E2 34" with Stability Fire shaft  w/ Oversize Black PURE grip (rotate) ODESSEY EYE TRAX 2-BALL w/BGT Stability Carbon 33" 2 Thumb OG Lite 31 black grip

I'm not hitting my ZX5's as well as my Wilson V6's last year but I'm pretty sure it has nothing to do with the quality of the iron. I do miss the feel of the V6's though.

Ping G430 Max 10.5

Ping G430 5&7 Wood

Ping G430 19°,22° Hybrids

PXG Gen 6 XP's 7-SW

Ping Glide 58ES Wedge

Ping PLD DS72 

If a person gets mad at you for telling the truth, they're living a lie.

How much is Srixon paying WRX to pin this thread?

• Haha 1

Rogue ST Max LS or Paradym 10.5 (9.5) Ventus TR 5 R

Paradym 3HL  NVS 65 R
AI Smoke 21* and 24*
PXG GEN6 XP 2X Black 6-GW MMT 6 or AI Smoke 6-GW Tensei white 75 R

PM Grind 2.0 54 and 58

Bettinardi Innovai Rev 6.0  33” 

E.R.C. Soft TT/ Chrome Soft TT / TM Tour Response '20

Is it possible to get the zx5 AW in left hand from Srixon Asia?

i bought the cbx2’s but I’m have trouble playing them compared to my old vokeys. I’ll probably end up sticking with my old wedges, but with a 44° PW, I really would like a forgiving 48 or 50. I could keep using my 718 Ap2 50° set wedge but it’ll just bother me seeing it in my bag 😆

• Haha 1

The 44° PW is the only thing I don't like about the ZX5s. I much prefer the lofts of the ZX7s. They're 1° weaker in the long and middle irons but 2° weaker in the 9 iron and PW at 46°. That would progress nicely to a 50° wedge. A 44° wedge feels like it would leave too big a gap to a 50° wedge.

The lofts of the ZX5s 5-PW is basically the same as my R7TP 4-9 irons except they bent the PW 1° weaker at 44° vs my 43° 9 iron. All the other lofts are identical. 

I hit my 9 - GW as follows:

43° 9 iron 120m

47° PW 105m

52° GW 90m

If the ZX5 distances are similar to these that is far too big a gap. Then again I guess the ZX5 set GW will go further than my Cleveland 50-52° wedge? 

Edited by kiwihacker

Cobra King F9  Driver 10.5° Atmos Blue 6 stiff
17° Callaway X Hot 4 wood
20.5°& 23° Cleveland DST Launcher hybrids
Srixon ZX5 5 - PW Modus 105 Regular 

Cleveland CBX Zipcore 48°/9° & 52°/11°, RTX 3 58°/9°
Ping Anser Sigma 2 putter