ZX5 vs. ZX7 -- a 6HC's review

SeaIsland

Got my ZX5/ZX7 combo out on the course today for the first time.  @Nostatic and others have repeatedly stressed that you try and hit these off grass to fully get a sense of the sole/turf interaction.  Couldn't agree more.  My fitting was indoors, but I walked out of the bay and hit some off grass.  These are better than I remembered.

I'm now debating whether I should swap my ZX5 7i for a ZX7 7i.  The feel of the ZX7 is so nice.  The ZX5 is quite nice as well, but off center hits don't feel as good as the ZX7 (even if they fly better).  I'm also glad I went with the LZ over the Modus shaft.  I had PX LZ shafts in my prior irons and they felt really good.  Really excited about getting a few more rounds this week.

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, VictorValiant said:

Got my ZX5/ZX7 combo out on the course today for the first time.  @Nostatic and others have repeatedly stressed that you try and hit these off grass to fully get a sense of the sole/turf interaction.  Couldn't agree more.  My fitting was indoors, but I walked out of the bay and hit some off grass.  These are better than I remembered.

I'm now debating whether I should swap my ZX5 7i for a ZX7 7i.  The feel of the ZX7 is so nice.  The ZX5 is quite nice as well, but off center hits don't feel as good as the ZX7 (even if they fly better).  I'm also glad I went with the LZ over the Modus shaft.  I had PX LZ shafts in my prior irons and they felt really good.  Really excited about getting a few more rounds this week.

You can do what I did and essentially buy 6-PW in both. I ended up selling the ZX5 7-PW set and have a ZX7 6i on order. Hasn't been the cheapest way to do the experiment but it has kept me entertained. Conventional wisdom says the ZX5 should be easier to hit and go longer. I found at least in 7-PW for it to be the opposite. Whether it is mental or my swing or aliens, it seems to be a repeatable phenomenon.

They aren't magic - no club is. Part of what makes forumGolf™ difficult is that people have different swings and different misses. Couple that with lots of "data" and analysis, much of which is suspect, and you get wildly varying opinions. I've lost track of the tally for v-sole being good for pickers vs diggers 🙃. Would be interesting to get a couple dozen people to test the ZXs on matts then test them outdoors and see if their reaction changes. I think for certain swings, it can make a big difference (in either direction). For other swings, maybe not.

• Like 2

AI Smoke Max Tensei Blue 55R | Cleveland Halo XL HyWood 3+ Tensei Blue 55R

G430 4-5H Alta R | Srixon ZX4-5 7i-AW Dart 65R

Glide4 Eye2 56 | Vokey 60 M | Ping Anser 2023

22 hours ago, Double Dodger said:

Maybe, that’s why I asked. Just got a set off the bay for a good price. Listed as used. When they arrived (from a dealer I had purchased from before) they were in a box appearing to be from Srixon with the label describing the clubs as a custom order. They are brand new never hit. However... only the 4 and 7 iron had a serial number. The set of 765-965 combos they were to replace had serial numbers on all heads.  I put in an email to Srixon but haven’t heard back yet. If they are fake they are damn good ones and the ctaper shafts seem legit to. Will keep you posted on what Srixon says. 

I'm assuming you won an auction for these from ksouth9? I did the same and got a 5-PW set for cheap. Same as you, came new/un-hit in a box that says custom order. He's a very trustworthy seller from my experience and I'd be extremely surprised if these weren't authentic.

Edited by ayc25

So question....I have this ZX5 Utry set from global golf. Stock with the Modus 105. I am taking them with me to a fitting next week (never had a fitting before) to compare since I want to know for sure they are good for me since I'm spending over 1k on them. Unfortunately the facility does not do Srixon, as there seem to be few around here that do, if any. If I find a shaft I like while hitting other clubs but really still like the feel of the Srixons would It be about the same if I ordered a set of the ZX5s with that shaft and fitting specs or would it not really be the same?

Ping G400 Max @9.9* (Alta CB 55 Stiff)

Titleist TSi2 4 wood @16.5* (Tensei AV Blue RAW 65 Stiff)

Ping G410 7 wood @19.5(Tensei AV Blue 65 Stiff)

Ping G410 4 Hybrid @23* (Alta CB 70 Stiff)

Ping G410 5 Hybrid @26* (Alta CB 70 Stiff)

Srixon ZX5 6-AW (Nippon Modus 105 Stiff)

Callaway MD5 Tour Grey W-Grind 54* & X-Grind 58*  (DG S200)

Odyssey 2-Ball Ten Arm Lock Putter (Odyssey Armlock Steel 40")

Srixon Z-Star

JMX XS Ultralite Grips

Is the fitting indoors of mats? If so, unless the fitter really knows their stuff, not sure how much you can take away from that. I wouldn't necessarily assume that a shaft I was fitted into with one head is right for another, but in retrospect that's kinda what I've done. I was fit twice a few years back, first into steel 105g shafts, then 95g graphite when I wanted to switch to graphite. Given my swing speed and that rough weight, my version of fitting has been to order a 7i with a shaft that is in the ballpark and then hit is on grass over some time. Not a quick or cheap answer though.

On 5/26/2021 at 9:02 AM, Double Dodger said:

Can someone here tell me if all of their ZX7 irons have serial numbers on them. Thanks in advance. 

You can relax. Both my sets only have serial # on the 7 iron.  🙂

d: Epic Max | f: Rogue 3HL, Apex UW | h1: Apex Super | i: 923 HM | w: MD4 | p: Chalk Spider X SB

15 hours ago, VictorValiant said:

I split at the 6/7. I think if you can hit the 8 well you’d be just fine with the 7 iron. Glad I split where I did. 

8 hours ago, vancouver81 said:

I split at the 6/7. I think if you can hit the 8 well you’d be just fine with the 7 iron. Glad I split where I did. 

Yeah.  I'm leaning towards this approach.  I split at the 7/8 only because that was the set that could ship quickly.  The set I was fit into was 8-10 week wait and I've got an event coming up and wanted to play these.  At my fitting I was hitting the shorter irons better with the ZX7 and the longer irons with the ZX5.  However, my swing wasn't dialed in that day.  Because I've been playing more, I'm hitting these quite well. 

I've only played the Srixons for two rounds, but the first was my lowest round of the season and my second round was not much worse.  When flushed, the ZX5 feel pretty good and not at all clicky.  However, the off center hits sound/feel a little clicky when compared to the ZX7.

First post-lesson round with the ZXs (and a new Fourteen wedge). Sunny and windy. Funny because three weeks ago in my last round driver was money. Today the driver evidently spent the cash on hookers and blow or something. Short and diving left. That said, bogeyed the first three holes which was reasonable given the driver performance. Then a 150y par 3, hit a 7i a bit thin but it went dead straight and bounced up to 3’ . Made the birdie putt. Next hole a par 5 and I tried to put a little more juice on the swing. Pop goes the lower back. Sigh. Finish the hole with a par, but evident I need an ice pack, not more holes. Skip to a par 3, 145 with a swirling wind, sucker pin behind a bunker. I aim for the center, despite the back got a decent smooth swing on it, nice high baby draw that lands on the green left of center and kicks to about 15’. 2 putt for par. Tee off with a 3 wood the next hole but just pick up my ball and head to the Jeep to call it a day. 6 holes, 2 over - night and day better than earlier and closer to pre-elbow injury days.

best parts were the Fourteen 60* wedge (very well behaved club) and the irons. First time I’ve stood over an iron shot and felt comfortable rather than soaked in dread. Right now second round of the ice pack, pool tomorrow morning, should be fine to putt and chip tomorrow afternoon. Lesson learned - smooth is better.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, ayc25 said:

I'm assuming you won an auction for these from ksouth9? I did the same and got a 5-PW set for cheap. Same as you, came new/un-hit in a box that says custom order. He's a very trustworthy seller from my experience and I'd be extremely surprised if these weren't authentic.

They are and they are great irons. Played 9 again today and am really impressed. I played 130 CTapers for some time in the past but older now and decided I would get a set with the 120s. Damned things are like rebar but accurate and long if the first two nines are any indication. I really love the workability of these. They are much much easier to get a 4-5 yard draw or fade with than even the 965s in my other Srixon set. Time will tell but so far good....

I too found little difference between the ZX5 and the ZX7 so I went with the 7s with the 75 gram recoil F3 (I'm a lot older than you).  I have to say that other than my old Hogan Edge Pros from long ago, these are the best irons I have ever used (the ZX7 replaced my Taylor Made P790s which I found harsh).  However, I replaced my 4,5 & 6 irons with the Z U85 driving irons.  I hit them consistently high and long either off the turf or tee.  For me these are better than blending in the ZX5 as they hit more like hybrids and I can't hit real hybrids.  I wonder why Srixon has apparently discontinued the 5 & 6 in this category.

• Like 1

Concerning serial numbers this is what I got back from Srixon:

“Typically in an iron set, only the 7 iron will have a serial number and will represent the full set. Due to availability, it is possible that the 4 iron was from a separate batch that was added on. Please let me know if you have any other questions.

Regards,

Jared
Srixon / Cleveland Golf / XXIO / ASICS”

• Like 3

Didn't get out on the course as it was pretty wet today.  I was hitting into my net off turf however.  There really is some junk in the trunk on the ZX5s.  I've been hitting the 5i and 6i really well.  Same with the 8i-P, which are ZX7s, but I'm still hung up on the feel difference when switching to the 7i (which I have in a ZX5). 

Not sure if anyone has single heads available, but I'm planning on getting a 7i in the ZX7 when I can find one with a PX LZ 6.0 shaft.  In the meantime, I've just got to make sure to flush my 7i.  The head weight feels different going from the ZX7 to the ZX5.  In any event, I'm quibbling at the margins here.  I really like these irons.

On 5/24/2021 at 9:29 PM, Tiptx1122 said:

I would never cancel my order because of a video as I know your just kidding but it's not just on You Tube video's, I've seen it in actual testing during demo days and by others during fitting sessions and myself. If you're wanting to hit what BK hits then fine. The 5 and 7's are pretty similar in looks but let's be honest many here are jumping on board because of what others have said in their reviews on here without ever trying them.  It's funny how so many have to mix their sets to get what is best for them. Then you have to deal with such gap differences. Srixon was such an under rated brand till BK won with them. Why don't people try other brands like Wilson as there is a brand that should get more attention but not many Pro's play them like they did in the past. You wouldn't believe how Callaway sales have sky rocketed since Phil just won the PGA Championship. 

On 5/25/2021 at 11:54 AM, nsxguy said:

It's not even been 2 whole days.

You've got a source for this ? TIA

On 5/25/2021 at 3:52 PM, Tiptx1122 said:

Callaway, which belongs to the Zacks Leisure and Recreation Products industry, posted revenues of $651.62 million for the quarter ended  2021, surpassing the Zacks Consensus Estimate by 13.98%. This compares to year-ago revenues of $442.28 million. The company has topped consensus revenue estimates four times over the last four quarters. Phil's win sure didn't hurt. As far as the exact numbers I don't have that but I know of 2 golf galaxy stores and one Dick's Sporting Good's store are on back order for some of their equipment as even they said after Phils win equipment has been selling like hotcakes. Why would this surprise anyone, Remember when J.Rose won with his Honma irons 1st time out, they had an increase in sales as there even a few topic on here about Honma clubs when never before did anyone ever mention their name. It's pretty common to go out and buy what their favorite player uses. I like what I have because they fit me pretty good and have everything I'm looking for in feel, looks, forgiveness as distance is average as the lofts aren't all jacked up like most. Im Not Surprised Nate Diaz GIF by UFC

Thought not.

Not surprised. :classic_laugh:

• Haha 1

Callaway Epic Flash SZ 9.0 Ventus Blue 6S

Ping G425 14.5 Fairway Tour AD TP 6X

Ping G425 MAX 20.5 7 wood Diamana Blue 70 S

Titleist 716 AP-1  5-PW, DGS300

Ping Glide Forged, 48, DGS300

Taylormade MG3 52*, 56*, TW 60* DGS200

LAB Mezz Max 34*, RED, BGT Stability

Titleist Pro V1X

I went through this same decision last year with the 585 v. 785. As mostly found by the OP I found very little difference in performance between the 2 on the monitor. I however opted for the 585s 4-AW. The minor difference in spin didn't bother me as the decent angles were plenty good enough, and I just figured if I like them both, I'd just get the more forgiving set in case I ever hit some times where I can't play as much. I've been gaming them a year and am very impressed with how well the 585s handle mishits, and get me near/close to target. All in all I don't think you can go wrong with either.

Driver: Callaway B21 10.5* Driver w/ Project X Evenflow Black X-Stiff

Wood: Ping G410 SFT 16* 3-wood w/ Alta CB Stiff

Irons: Srixon z585 2i, 4-AW w/ Modus 120x

Wedges: Cleveland Tour Rack Raw RTX Zipcore 56.12 & 60.10 w/ Modus 125 wedge

Putter: Odyssey White Hot OG #1WS w/ Stroke Lab

Well looks like I am keeping the ZX5 Utry set from global golf. Went for a fitting at fairways and greens in Knoxville and the clubs I wanted to try (P790, P770, and Apex Pros) could not best them. Feel good about the stock Modus 105s in them too because that was a top 3 shaft recommended for me on the Mizuno shaft optimizer thing.

• Like 2

Srixon Z-Star

JMX XS Ultralite Grips

On 5/27/2021 at 10:51 AM, JStang said:

I have had my ZX7's for a while now and am comfortable sharing a quick review. One thing that has been noticeable is how forgiving these are. I am constantly surprised at how far these fly when mishit. They feel outstanding when centered, and while they are a bit larger than I typically play, they don't bother me one bit anymore. For the first time in years, I am not even considering another set of irons. These might be in the bag for years to come. 

My first set of Srixon's was a mixed set of 765/565s, and the first thing I thought when I started playing them was how forgiving they were.   A couple of years ago I went mixed 785/585, and same feeling.   Picked up a new off the rack set of stock 585s to give a try, and sometimes am amazed how consistent they are on miss hits.  So far the only thing that seems concerning is spin from the rough and the occasional  flier. 

WITB
Srixon ZX5 LS 9.0, HZRDUS Black 60 6.0
Ping G425 LST 3 wood, Tensei Orange

Ping G410  7 wood set at 19, Tensei Orange

Srixon ZX 4 MKii 4 iron, ZX 5 MKii 5,6 irons  ZX7 MKii  7-PW KBS TGI 90

RTX Zipcore  Tour Rack 50, 54, 60

L.A.B. Golf Mezz.1 Max 16 CB, 39 inches

Srixon-Z Star XV

On 5/26/2021 at 8:39 PM, nostatic said:

You can do what I did and essentially buy 6-PW in both. I ended up selling the ZX5 7-PW set and have a ZX7 6i on order. Hasn't been the cheapest way to do the experiment but it has kept me entertained. Conventional wisdom says the ZX5 should be easier to hit and go longer. I found at least in 7-PW for it to be the opposite. Whether it is mental or my swing or aliens, it seems to be a repeatable phenomenon.

They aren't magic - no club is. Part of what makes forumGolf™ difficult is that people have different swings and different misses. Couple that with lots of "data" and analysis, much of which is suspect, and you get wildly varying opinions. I've lost track of the tally for v-sole being good for pickers vs diggers 🙃. Would be interesting to get a couple dozen people to test the ZXs on matts then test them outdoors and see if their reaction changes. I think for certain swings, it can make a big difference (in either direction). For other swings, maybe not.

This is what i am going to do and play around with both sets.  I like the ZX5 5-6 and XZ7 7-PW but might play around and move the ZX5 to 5-8 for some added forgiveness if it does not mess up my gapping too much. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, cjblake09 said:

This is what i am going to do and play around with both sets.  I like the ZX5 5-6 and XZ7 7-PW but might play around and move the ZX5 to 5-8 for some added forgiveness if it does not mess up my gapping too much. 

I ended up starting off with the ZX5 5-7 and ZX7 8-PW.  I've since picked up a ZX7 7i and have even thought about trying a ZX7 6i.  I hit the ZX5 5i and 6i so well, so I better leave well enough alone.  The ZX7 is pretty forgiving for what it's worth.  It's also the @nostatic way of building a bag, which is fun, but not necessarily great on your pocket book.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

the nostatic way is rarely good for the pocketbook. Or sanity for that matter. That said, no way but through 🙃

First time swinging a club today since tweaking my back last week. Doing very easy/smooth swings on the range, was testing a new 3W but brought the ZX7 8i to loosen up. Even swinging very easy the club just works.

I didn’t read all the posts, but I am apparently one of the few that didn’t blend. Came from the z765s, went with the ZX5 for my whole set, 5-GW. 

They look similar to my z765s at address. I have had a bunch of fun with them.  Went from KBS Tour-V to Nippon Pro 120. I wouldn’t know why I would replace the top end with ZX7s, the 5s are great all the way from top to bottom 🙂

• Like 2

Callaway Rogue Max LS Driver, 9 degrees, Tensei Blue shaft

Mizuno ST180 5 wood

Ping G425 Max 7 wood
Srixon ZX4 4 iron
Srixon ZX5 irons 5-PW, Nippon N.S. Pro Modus 3 Tour 120 shafts

Cleveland RTX6 48* wedge

Cleveland Zipcore 54* wedge
Cleveland RTX 58* full face wedge
Nike Method Core Drone 2.0 putter 34"

Has anyone hit and compared the ZX7s to Mizuno JPX 921 Tours (or, more specifically for me, the JPX 921 SEL, which is the lefty option of the Forged 4/5 and Tour 6-GW)? I’d imagine this thread would lean hard in the direction of Srixon, but I’d love to hear some experiences and observations. 

Especially interested in spin and turf interaction for those who are on the steeper side. Also looking for a touch of forgiveness, and wondering if either clearly stands out there. (I’d likely be going Forged through the 6 or 7 irons if Mizuno offered that option for lefties...) I’d be using Project X LZ 6.0 shafts in either, FWIW.

Driver: Ping G430 LST 9* | Fujikura Ventus TR Blue 6X

3W: Ping G430 Max @14* | Fujikura Speeder NX Blue 70X

7W: Ping G430 Max @20* | Graphite Design Tour AD DI 8X (or sometimes G430 3H with Tour 2.0 Chrome 85S)

4 Utility: Ping iCrossover @23.5* | Graphite Design Tour AD DI 95X (or sometimes G430 5H at 25* with Tour 2.0 Chrome 85S)

Irons: Ping i230 5-UW | Fujikura AXIOM 105X

Wedges: Callaway Jaws Raw 54/12W@55/13W, 60/12X | Nippon Modus 125 Wedge

Putter: Bettinardi 2024 BB1 Wide 

Any ZX5 users have the set gap wedge? Debating getting the set gap or a 48 deg. specialty wedge like the RTX. Current 50deg wedge has too big of a gap between the ZX5 PW.

Srixon Z-Star

JMX XS Ultralite Grips

5 hours ago, EastTNGolfer said:

Any ZX5 users have the set gap wedge? Debating getting the set gap or a 48 deg. specialty wedge like the RTX. Current 50deg wedge has too big of a gap between the ZX5 PW.

I use the zx5 gap wedge, next club is a Cleveland 54 Zipcore. Works fine for me. 

• Like 1

Callaway Rogue Max LS Driver, 9 degrees, Tensei Blue shaft

Mizuno ST180 5 wood

Ping G425 Max 7 wood
Srixon ZX4 4 iron
Srixon ZX5 irons 5-PW, Nippon N.S. Pro Modus 3 Tour 120 shafts

Cleveland RTX6 48* wedge

Cleveland Zipcore 54* wedge
Cleveland RTX 58* full face wedge
Nike Method Core Drone 2.0 putter 34"