ZX5 vs. ZX7 -- a 6HC's review

SeaIsland

• 2 weeks later...

Sounds like more people like the z785's over the ZX7's. I also notice how well the ZX5's are as there must be a lot of scratch golfers on here that play there ZX7's. I may have to pull the trigger of some ZX5's as they seem like the total package for mid handi cappers. 

• Like 1

Driver: Cobra  50th Anniversary Edition Aerojet 10.5 w/Graphite Design Tour AD IZ4 

3W: Callaway  Paradym X 3w/ Graphite Design Tour AD CQ5  

5/7W: Callaway Paradym X / Project X Hzrdus Gen 4 silver 5.5

Irons:  Titleist T-350 w/Aerotech i80r

Wedges:  Cleveland RTX 6 ZipCore 48* and 54* w/Aerotech i95r

Putter:  ENVROLL E2 34" with Stability Fire shaft  w/ Oversize Black PURE grip (rotate) ODESSEY EYE TRAX 2-BALL w/BGT Stability Carbon 33" 2 Thumb OG Lite 31 black grip

1 hour ago, Tiptx1122 said:

Sounds like more people like the z785's over the ZX7's. I also notice how well the ZX5's are as there must be a lot of scratch golfers on here that play there ZX7's. I may have to pull the trigger of some ZX5's as they seem like the total package for mid handi cappers. 

Z5 - It's the only iron that has made it over 10 rounds with out me "running home to Mama!" (Mama=G irons) Love the looks, feel and must be me, getting along with the Modus105,I am one club longer thru the set. 

Edited by Steelhead
-

1 hour ago, Tiptx1122 said:

As far as I can tell on this and other forums, it is a small minority who have gone from ZX7 to 785. 

I'm not near scratch, play ZX7, bought/owned both ZX5 and ZX7 before finding that I hit the ZX7 better. And confirmed by my swing coach. Sold the ZX5s except for 5-6i. People should hit them both (and others) - ideally off grass - and decide for themselves. The forums are full of conventional wisdom that often is neither...

• Like 1

AI Smoke Max Tensei Blue 55R | Cleveland Halo XL HyWood 3+ Tensei Blue 55R

G430 4-5H Alta R | Srixon ZX4-5 7i-AW Dart 65R

Glide4 Eye2 56 | Vokey 60 M | Ping Anser 2023

16 hours ago, Tiptx1122 said:

Im a 12 handicap and the zx7 are the best irons I've owned for forgiveness.  I played ping i210s prior, which I love, and the zx7s seem more forgiving with extra distance.  Definitely do not need to be scratch to play these.   My first 9 holes with the zx7 I shot a 40 (+4).  

Edited by realmfg
  • Like 3

i wouldn't make a judgment based on 5-6 posts here.. find the main zx iron topic and see how many posts are there about people switching INTO the zx7s .. also of note the guys that were holding onto their 745s on tour all switched into the zx7s .. i don't think the 765s or 785s had much tour presence if any .. if that matters to you.  anyways good luck.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Oldboy said:

i wouldn't make a judgment based on 5-6 posts here.. find the main zx iron topic and see how many posts are there about people switching INTO the zx7s .. also of note the guys that were holding onto their 745s on tour all switched into the zx7s .. i don't think the 765s or 785s had much tour presence if any .. if that matters to you.  anyways good luck.

Not sure a single srixon staffer played the 765s. 745s and 85s were popular. Most of the staffers throughout all tours are now playing zx7 however there is still a good amount of guys using the 85s and a few guys who still have 745s 

It was just an observation as to how nice the older models were before the new Z line came out as I never paid attention to Srixon until this year. So regardless of who on tour is playing what model makes no difference to me as what I liked was what realmfg said when he commented as to how forgiving the ZX7's were compared to the i210's and he was a 12 handicap. That is what Srixon owner's want to hear. I'm choosing the ZX5's for a number of reason's. One reason is this will be the 1st Srixon set of iron's I've ever owned and it's better late than never I guess. The ZX5's are more in line of a game improvement iron with the players look

I thought about a combo set but I don't want to have all the loft adjusted to match properly as combo sets take a little longer to receive. Both ZX's look great and I'm sure performance is in the top 5 in looks, feel, distance, sound, price. Now 4-8 weeks is a long wait but is the wait worth it. sure hope so.

Driver: Cobra  50th Anniversary Edition Aerojet 10.5 w/Graphite Design Tour AD IZ4 

3W: Callaway  Paradym X 3w/ Graphite Design Tour AD CQ5  

5/7W: Callaway Paradym X / Project X Hzrdus Gen 4 silver 5.5

Irons:  Titleist T-350 w/Aerotech i80r

Wedges:  Cleveland RTX 6 ZipCore 48* and 54* w/Aerotech i95r

Putter:  ENVROLL E2 34" with Stability Fire shaft  w/ Oversize Black PURE grip (rotate) ODESSEY EYE TRAX 2-BALL w/BGT Stability Carbon 33" 2 Thumb OG Lite 31 black grip

I use a ZX5 4-6 and ZX7 7-P combo and I absolutely love it. I probably would've been fine with the ZX7s throughout the bag but I found there was no downside ZX5 long irons. The only struggle is that they don't have the gap wedge in LH so I have a major gap right now from 46 to 52 and no one has 50* LH wedges in stock. I don't want to wait 4 weeks for Vokey to ship

• Like 1

10 hours ago, DangleGolf said:

I use a ZX5 4-6 and ZX7 7-P combo and I absolutely love it. I probably would've been fine with the ZX7s throughout the bag but I found there was no downside ZX5 long irons. The only struggle is that they don't have the gap wedge in LH so I have a major gap right now from 46 to 52 and no one has 50* LH wedges in stock. I don't want to wait 4 weeks for Vokey to ship

I have the same split. I find the ZX5 launch higher and are a bit more forgiving distance wise on mishits. No issue working any of them either way. Would not change a thing.   10 cap fwiw.

I purchased 4-pw zx5 w/ PX 5.5 and have about 8 rounds on them now. Absolutely love the feel and forgiveness is outstanding. Have been thinking about moving to zx7 in 8-pw now because I’m struggling with the offset. I don’t think the offset is neccarily off putting but I struggle with alignment. Anyone else have these thoughts or considerations? I’m a 7hdcp and don’t feel like distance is a major concern but do like forgivenesses.

Callaway Paradym AI Smoke Max - Denali Black 6.0

Callaway Paradym 3W - PX Black 6.0

PXG 0311 5W - PX Black 6.0

Srixon ZX4 4-6 - DGS400TI

Srixon ZX5 7-8 - DGS400TI

Srixon ZX7 9-PW - DGS400TI

Taylormade MG3 54 & 58 DGS400

Taylormade Spider X Hydroblast

Titleist PROV1

Vessel 2.0 Stand Bag

19 hours ago, DangleGolf said:

I went with this combo. I love the 4-6 so much I decided to order full set of zx5s 1 weak. Still waiting for them tho 

I'm playing a combo set of ZX5/ZX7. 5&6 are ZX5 and 7-AW are ZX7. Both are great. The ZX7 feels better but the ZX5 are so easy to launch it makes the long game fun.

I'm thinking about adding a 4 iron and I'm stuck between ZX5, ZX4 and ZX Utility......leaning towards ZX5 just because I really like the 5 and 6 irons...

Any opinions?

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, tomg1969 said:

I'm playing a combo set of ZX5/ZX7. 5&6 are ZX5 and 7-AW are ZX7. Both are great. The ZX7 feels better but the ZX5 are so easy to launch it makes the long game fun.

I'm thinking about adding a 4 iron and I'm stuck between ZX5, ZX4 and ZX Utility......leaning towards ZX5 just because I really like the 5 and 6 irons...

Any opinions?

I have ZX5 in 5-6, picked up a ZX4 4i so not total apples to apples, but the ZX4 is a wider body and is easier to hit IME. That said, I'm likely going to go 5 hybrid and then hit 6-AW in the ZX7 so the ZX4 will be on the block. I love my 3H...

Well my journey for new irons ended with the zx7.

Handicap has been in the 6 to 10 range.

Went from z565 that I liked but think the nspro 980gh shafts were a bit weak for me and I was long bit not super accurate with them.

Made mistake last year buying Cobra forged Tec which I did not get on with. Didn't like the offset and way too little spin especially at my new job e club which has firm fast small greens where going long is bad and running through a green was happening too often with the Cobra.

Due to a great trade in offer I gave the Wilson D7 forged a try and 1 round told me they were basically a nicer looking forged Tec but same issues.

So I decided to return them and got the zx7. Before using them the z585 went on sale for 600$ so I traded in another set of irons and got those too.

Used them for about 10 rounds and was starting to play well with them as my swing rust came off after a 6 month winter lay off. 

Decided my swing was finally getting good enough to put the zx7 in the bag.

Played them today for the 1st time. 6 thru PW with 5 iron from z585.

Tied my low round of the year and had 4 birdie putts inside 8 feet. Made none of course. Still shot 79.

Was able to hit some low puches and some high shots over a tree as well as a cut and draw and felt they were nearly as forgiving as the z585 but with much better feel.

So glad I got them!

Edited by mitchdoc
  • Like 4

• 5 weeks later...
On 5/4/2021 at 7:32 AM, Imp said:

This is the way. 🙂  I'll put up a review of my ZX5s once I Have more seat time with them, but preliminary results are nothing short of fantastic. Just working on dialing in distances, but weather keeps going from 50 degrees to 70 degrees to 50s and 60s. So ball flight will be slightly different until the steady warm weather hits here in southern new england.

--kC

Couple months later, honeymoon is over. Index went from 11.8 (on 5/4) to 12.6 a month later (6/8) as I got used to the new and improved ball flight and slight distance adjustments. Now, down to a 10.0 and trending downward still. Lowest index to date. 

These just go where I tell them to and do so with no issue, no fuss, no drama. Feel is nothing short of fantastic (feel better than my older JPX mizzy irons), a nice sound, good look, and great (i.e. very little) turf interaction...  and am quite pleased with the results. Hope to be part of the single capper club in short order. That's the goal, right? To get better? 🙂

--kC

Edited by Imp
  • Like 1

Ping 430Max 10k / Callaway UW 17 & 21 / Srixon ZX5 Irons (5-AW) / Vokey SM8 56* & 60*, Callaway, 64*

FWIW i think the cleveland zipcore wedges are one of the best wedges they have ever made

• Like 1

Driver- TITLEIST TSr2 10° AD-HD 6s
3 Wood- TITLEIST TSi2 15° AD-DI 7s
Hybrid- TITLEIST TSr2 21° AD-HY 75s

Irons- SRIXON Zx5 Modus 105s
Wedges- CLEVELAND RTX-6 50/54/58 Tour Spinner 
Putter- PING  PLD Ally Blue 4

Ball- BRIDGESTONE Tour B X

Conventional wisdom is the v-sole is better for diggers, but plenty of people with shallow swings seem to like them as well. So like most questions, the answer is, "it depends..."

2 hours ago, tsecor said:

Sorry if this has been asked, but the TXG guys said these irons are meant more for guys who take deeper divots as opposed to the shallow player.....any experience with this? 

I'm a "shallow" guy, but have found complete bliss w/ the v sole design of my zx5/7 set. YMMV so you'd have to test them out for yourself.

• Like 2

d: Epic Max | f: Rogue 3HL, Apex UW | h1: Apex Super | i: 923 HM | w: MD4 | p: Chalk Spider X SB

14 hours ago, ob1soccer said:

FWIW i think the cleveland zipcore wedges are one of the best wedges they have ever made

What about them has you liking them so much? Haven't used a Cleveland wedge since my old 588's back in the day.

d: Epic Max | f: Rogue 3HL, Apex UW | h1: Apex Super | i: 923 HM | w: MD4 | p: Chalk Spider X SB

i had the 588, the tour action, in the bronze color and loved them. I had the cg10, cg12, cg14 as well and was less impressed. I switched the vokeys, and then to callaway Md3/Md4 and thought both of them were just ok. 

I own the Srixon 765 irons and love them so i demoed the zipcore and it felt and performed as the old cleveland wedges. I still have my old ones but they are just worn out and beat up but they play and feel very much the same. I now own 3 zipcores

50, 54,58 and absolutely love them. That means alot because i havent loved a wedge in 20 years. Also i am very impressed with the Dynamic gold spinner tour issue. I thought they would be too heavy coming from Modus 105 and 115 but they feel great and they actually help spin the ball. good luck

• Like 1

11 hours ago, tsecor said:

Sorry if this has been asked, but the TXG guys said these irons are meant more for guys who take deeper divots as opposed to the shallow player.....any experience with this? 

I'm a digger and after 3 rounds with the ZX5's my results are not really any different to any other iron I've played. But it's early days. Certainly nothing negative about the VT sole but not really seeing anything dramatically different in terms of my divot pattern or turf interaction. It's winter here in NZ and we've had a lot of rain lately so fairly soft, wet conditions underfoot. Love the irons though. Shot my best score in months (82) first time out so it was a good start. 😎🏌️♂️

Cobra King F9  Driver 10.5° Atmos Blue 6 stiff
17° Callaway X Hot 4 wood
20.5°& 23° Cleveland DST Launcher hybrids
Srixon ZX5 5 - PW Modus 105 Regular 

Cleveland CBX Zipcore 48°/9° & 52°/11°, RTX 3 58°/9°
Ping Anser Sigma 2 putter

2 hours ago, ob1soccer said:

i had the 588, the tour action, in the bronze color and loved them. I had the cg10, cg12, cg14 as well and was less impressed. I switched the vokeys, and then to callaway Md3/Md4 and thought both of them were just ok. 

I own the Srixon 765 irons and love them so i demoed the zipcore and it felt and performed as the old cleveland wedges. I still have my old ones but they are just worn out and beat up but they play and feel very much the same. I now own 3 zipcores

50, 54,58 and absolutely love them. That means alot because i havent loved a wedge in 20 years. Also i am very impressed with the Dynamic gold spinner tour issue. I thought they would be too heavy coming from Modus 105 and 115 but they feel great and they actually help spin the ball. good luck

Must not read, must not read, must not read .... 🙈 🙉

Lol I've just added a CBX 2 50° to round out my ZX5 5-PW in combo with RTX 2 54° and RTX 3 58°. I was perfectly happy with my old wedges but reading reviews like this gets me thinking ... 🤔

• Like 1

Cobra King F9  Driver 10.5° Atmos Blue 6 stiff
17° Callaway X Hot 4 wood
20.5°& 23° Cleveland DST Launcher hybrids
Srixon ZX5 5 - PW Modus 105 Regular 

Cleveland CBX Zipcore 48°/9° & 52°/11°, RTX 3 58°/9°
Ping Anser Sigma 2 putter

20 hours ago, nostatic said:

Conventional wisdom is the v-sole is better for diggers, but plenty of people with shallow swings seem to like them as well. So like most questions, the answer is, "it depends..."

I'm a shallow guy, but sometimes when I come in too steep (I'm not a tour player so don't have that 100% repeatable swing), having that little bit of extra give/design for when I make a mistake in my swing and it does dig is pretty nice. I have noticed, though, I am taking more divots after impact than I ever used to... slight, shallow ones, but my old clubs, it was either before the ball or none at all.

Ping 430Max 10k / Callaway UW 17 & 21 / Srixon ZX5 Irons (5-AW) / Vokey SM8 56* & 60*, Callaway, 64*

10 hours ago, kiwihacker said:

Must not read, must not read, must not read .... 🙈🙉

Lol I've just added a CBX 2 50° to round out my ZX5 5-PW in combo with RTX 2 54° and RTX 3 58°. I was perfectly happy with my old wedges but reading reviews like this gets me thinking ... 🤔

DO NOT READ, IGNORE WHAT I SAY, THE CURRENT WEDGES U HAVE ARE JUST FINE, YOU DO NOT NEED NEW CLUBS

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, ob1soccer said:

DO NOT READ, IGNORE WHAT I SAY, THE CURRENT WEDGES U HAVE ARE JUST FINE, YOU DO NOT NEED NEW CLUBS

I'm afraid this violates the Prime Directive of golfwrx. Must sterilize...must sterilize...

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

unfortunately if you are writing on this page you have problems, we all do. So no matter what you are going to try them out and probably buy them.

How do u like the Recoil F3 in your irons? I have a recoil dart in my hybrids and they are awesome

Edited by ob1soccer
grammar

9 minutes ago, ob1soccer said:

have

Edited by ob1soccer