ZX5 vs. ZX7 -- a 6HC's review

SeaIsland

The ZX 

On 9/6/2021 at 5:13 AM, BallerNate said:

Any other long term reviews of the ZX5’s and ZX7’s?

For those who have combo’d them, have most of you gone with 4-5 in ZX5 and 6-PW in ZX7?

I’ve got the ZX5’s now in 4-5 and have an order in with Srixon for ZX7’s in 6-PW to replace my Z 785’s. On the fence for the 6-iron though whether I should go ZX5 there and bend it 1* weak, or  just go ZX7 there?

I go to ZX5 in the 6 iron.

I have an 11 yard gap between average 6i and average 7i - taken from my shotscope stats.  This is standard without bending.  So I wouldn't worry too much about tinkering with lofts personally, they seem well suited to blending in my experience.

In reply to another question about fliers.  You can definitely step on the a lot ZX5 more than the ZX7.  My stock 6 iron is 165, but I can push this out to 180 much easier than I could any other irons.    My ZX7 7 iron averages 155 but I cant squeeze it past 160.  

Favourite club in the bag is that 6 iron though, has made me consider going 7 iron in ZX5 as well.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Driver - SIM2 Max

5W / 4H / 5H - G410

3i - SIM

Irons - ZX5/ZX7 

Wedges - MD5

Bettinardi QB8/Stability Shaft/P2 grip

3 hours ago, Jamie_Tee said:

The ZX 

I go to ZX5 in the 6 iron.

I have an 11 yard gap between average 6i and average 7i - taken from my shotscope stats.  This is standard without bending.  So I wouldn't worry too much about tinkering with lofts personally, they seem well suited to blending in my experience.

In reply to another question about fliers.  You can definitely step on the a lot ZX5 more than the ZX7.  My stock 6 iron is 165, but I can push this out to 180 much easier than I could any other irons.    My ZX7 7 iron averages 155 but I cant squeeze it past 160.  

Favourite club in the bag is that 6 iron though, has made me consider going 7 iron in ZX5 as well.

Thanks for the feedback. I ended up testing out both the ZX5 and ZX7 in the 6-iron spot and prefer the ZX7 there for me personally.

Really loving the ZX7's and just got an A-Wedge delivered yesterday that was hitting everything within 6-10 feet today! My ZX5 5-iron was supposed to be bent 1* weak by Srixon, but the golf shop just told me today it was actually 2* weak at 26*. Today I bent the 4-iron to 21* and the 5-iron to 24*, so we'll see what the results will be for me now going forward with the ZX5's in those spots.

• Like 1

TaylorMade Stealth+ (10.5*) / Hzrdus Red Smoke RDX 6.0

TaylorMade Stealth+ (15*) / Hzrdus Red Smoke RDX 6.0

TaylorMade SIM Max (19*) / Ventus Blue 7-S

Srixon ZX4 (21*) / UST Recoil ES 780 F4

Srixon ZX5 (5), ZX7 (6-AW) / Modus3 Tour 120

TaylorMade MG3 (56-SB & 60-LB) / Dynamic Gold S200

Scotty Cameron Special Select Newport 2 (36")

WITB on WRX

8 hours ago, mukster said:

Really enjoying my ZX5's added two Zipcore wedges, a 54* and a full face RTX 58*

I see no need to change my 8-PW to zx7s as the ZX5s are doing exactly what I want from them.

Playing them with the Modus 120 stiff. really starting to like those shafts.

Me too. Couldn't get the ZX Gap wedge so I bought the CBX2 50° and that seems to be filling the gap nicely. I already had older model RTX wedges in 54° and 58° that round my set out. I'm loving the ZX5 irons and like you I really don't know what I would gain from bagging the ZX7 irons in the 7-PW. The ZX5 5 iron at 24° is the same loft as my old 4 iron but it is definitely easier to hit and gaps perfectly with my 23° hybrid. 

• Like 2

Cobra King F9  Driver 10.5° Atmos Blue 6 stiff
17° Callaway X Hot 4 wood
20.5°& 23° Cleveland DST Launcher hybrids
Srixon ZX5 5 - PW Modus 105 Regular 

Cleveland CBX 2 50°/10°, RTX 2 54°/12, RTX 3 58°/9°
Ping Anser Sigma 2 putter

Have a combo zx5 in 5-7 and zx7 in 8-P, in play for 11 months. Fantastic and really good value compared to other brands (in Aus). I am semi shallow through the ball and the sole on the 7's are great for that but can struggle with the 5's through the turf at times.

5's are really forgiving, especially on toe strikes and don't have any flyer issues. Also help to produce a higher ball flight. The 7's are near perfect and tick every box I could want in an iron.   

Edited by Caesar's shank
typo
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, kiwihacker said:

Me too. Couldn't get the ZX Gap wedge so I bought the CBX2 50° and that seems to be filling the gap nicely. I already had older model RTX wedges in 54° and 58° that round my set out. I'm loving the ZX5 irons and like you I really don't know what I would gain from bagging the ZX7 irons in the 7-PW. The ZX5 5 iron at 24° is the same loft as my old 4 iron but it is definitely easier to hit and gaps perfectly with my 23° hybrid. 

I finally retired my 58° Mizuno wedge and replaced it with the RTX full face 58. It’s a great wedge, highly recommend it. 
Not sure what would knock the zx5s out of the bag, really happy.

• Like 1

Callaway Epic Flash Subzero Driver, 9 degrees, Diamana S+ shaft

Mizuno ST 180 5 wood 16*

Srixon H85 19* hybrid
Srixon H85 22* hybrid
Srixon ZX5 irons 5-AW, Nippon N.S. Pro Modus 3 Tour 120 shafts

Cleveland Zipcore 54* wedge
Cleveland RTX 58* full face wedge
Cleveland VP Milled No. 3 putter

5 hours ago, Caesar's shank said:

Have a combo zx5 in 5-7 and zx7 in 8-P, in play for 11 months. Fantastic and really good value compared to other brands (in Aus). I am semi swallow through the ball and the sole on the 7's are great for that but can struggle with the 5's through the turf at times.

5's are really forgiving, especially on toe strikes and don't have any flyer issues. Also help to produce a higher ball flight. The 7's are near perfect and tick every box I could want in an iron.   

Can I ask what handicap you are? I keep reading this and it makes me curious about getting the ZX7 in say 7-PW (for my Sunday bag). Just to see what all the fuss is about (and what I might be missing). 😁

10 hours ago, Caesar's shank said:

Have a combo zx5 in 5-7 and zx7 in 8-P, in play for 11 months. Fantastic and really good value compared to other brands (in Aus). I am semi swallow through the ball and the sole on the 7's are great for that but can struggle with the 5's through the turf at times.

I agree with this. I originally got fitted into a combo set of 4-6 zx5 7-pw zx7. I thought the zx5 long irons were so good that I ended up trying out a whole set of zx5. I struggled with the sole on the shorter irons and I am now back to my combo set 

Edited by BostonWRX

I guess I will be the buzz kill in this thread. I tried the ZX5 and just didn't like them. I went back to T100s. I know that these irons are not supposed to be comparable and I had a Modus3 105 R in the Srixon's compared to a KBS Tour S in the T100s. The two issues I had were that I could see some of the backside of the club on the longer irons and I could not feel the strike on the face like I could with the T100 irons unless it was an extreme toe/heel strike. Sometimes the ball would just go places that didn't seem to make sense with what I felt in my hands. Probably more fair to put KBS in the ZX5 but just my two cents on this. 

Love my zx5s… probably could have gone 8-gw in the 7s, but didn’t see much point…

I think they feel great and my mishits don’t punish me a ton… really looking forward to having them dialed in!

• Like 1

As of  10/11/2021

9 Callaway Mavrk Sub Zero with Ventus Black 7X

13 Degree Srixon 3 wood Project X Black 6.5

19 Degree Sub70 939 Pro with Proforce V2

4 Utility Sub70 699u 22 degree Proforce V2

5-GW Srixon Zx5 with Project X 6.5

Sub70 286 54

Sub70 JB Low Bounce 58

SeeMore milled Tri-Mallet fit and built at SeeMore 

1 hour ago, Scottyrocket said:

I guess I will be the buzz kill in this thread. I tried the ZX5 and just didn't like them. I went back to T100s. I know that these irons are not supposed to be comparable and I had a Modus3 105 R in the Srixon's compared to a KBS Tour S in the T100s. The two issues I had were that I could see some of the backside of the club on the longer irons and I could not feel the strike on the face like I could with the T100 irons unless it was an extreme toe/heel strike. Sometimes the ball would just go places that didn't seem to make sense with what I felt in my hands. Probably more fair to put KBS in the ZX5 but just my two cents on this. 

Modus 105 (S) has been the one Nippon shaft I have tried that didn't work for me.  Same issues you had.  Ironically, it was in a set of 718 AP2's.  I probably didn't give them enough time, but I went back to the DG 120 gram shafts I was using, and all was well again.

So yes, it's definitely worth another go with something like the KBS Tours you are having success with.

• Like 1

Clubs in a bag.

19 hours ago, Chazb said:

Well today I bought the zx5s with regular shaft.I took them to the range with my PXGs 2 series comparing the the two the Z5s were the winner with longer higher and easier to control.

what version pxg irons did you compare them to? I have gen 1 xf and was wondering if the head is and big and chunky?

8 hours ago, BostonWRX said:

I agree with this. I originally got fitted into a combo set of 4-6 zx5 7-pw zx7. I thought the zx5 long irons were so good that I ended up trying out a whole set of zx5. I struggled with the sole on the shorter irons and I am now back to my combo set 

Can you elaborate on what you were struggling with?

2 hours ago, Mobert19 said:

Can you elaborate on what you were struggling with?

I’m more of a semi picker with long irons and get pretty steep as I go down the bag. Just felt the turf interaction and consistency with the 5s in the short irons was not there for me like the 7s. I’m assuming it was Bc of the sole difference. Not sure what else it would be 

14 hours ago, kiwihacker said:

Can I ask what handicap you are? I keep reading this and it makes me curious about getting the ZX7 in say 7-PW (for my Sunday bag). Just to see what all the fuss is about (and what I might be missing). 😁

9.4 atm - as long as your face is *somewhat* under control I wouldn't hesitate to try the 7s. The other reason I like them over the 5's in the shorter irons is control on knockdowns, this is the first split set I've ever played and that has been the biggest difference so far. 

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, BostonWRX said:

I’m more of a semi picker with long irons and get pretty steep as I go down the bag. Just felt the turf interaction and consistency with the 5s in the short irons was not there for me like the 7s. I’m assuming it was Bc of the sole difference. Not sure what else it would be 

Thanks. I’m still confused though. What was the struggle? Hooks, fliers, etc?

I was bragging to one of my buddies yesterday about the VT sole and the awesomeness of the turf interaction and how it just glides through the turf. So he grabbed my 5 iron and hit a massive chunked/fat approach shot. 

He doesn't normally hit fat shots. LOL

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, kiwihacker said:

I was bragging to one of my buddies yesterday about the VT sole and the awesomeness of the turf interaction and how it just glides through the turf. So he grabbed my 5 iron and hit a massive chunked/fat approach shot. 

He doesn't normally hit fat shots. LOL

Yes, but it would have been even more fat without the VT sole. 😉

• Haha 2

• 2 weeks later...

So started with 4-pw ZX5 with stiff Nippon 105s..... which I really liked, especially the long irons.

Then got a set of the 4-pw ZX7 with stiff Nippon 120s because I really like the soles and wanted a slightly heavier shaft.

Been going back and forth between the two and now I've settled on a split set of 4-6 ZX5 and 7-PW ZX7s.....crazy thing is keeping the shafts with a mix of 105s and 120s with these heads actually works for me in terms of yardages.  Not trying to noodle it too much but didn't expect it to work out like it has. 

Though I probably hit the ZX5 short irons slightly longer, feel much more accurate with the ZX7s and the slightly higher spin is really nice for holding greens and perhaps a bit more predictable.  The ZX7 longer irons felt like a bit of a struggle if I didn't put perfect swings on it.

The one "falling asleep thought" I do have is what if I put the Nippon 105s in the ZX7s and maybe that would be the best of both worlds..... 

Edited by Yanger

SIM 2 Max - Tensei AV Raw Blue 60 Stiff
3W - SIM 15 - Ventus Red Stiff
Srixon ZX 3 19 - Evenflow Riptide 80 Stiff
4-6 Srixon ZX5 Nippon 105 S

7-PW Srixon ZX7  Nippon T120 S
50, 55, 60 Vokey SM8 Nippon 105 S
Scotty Cameron 2.7