ZX5 vs. ZX7 -- a 6HC's review

SeaIsland

4 hours ago, RoyalMustang said:

I can't speak for the author, but I find that GI irons tend to fly further and that misses aren't as short and therefore further offline. For example, if I miss, I often miss pretty hard left and long  The other day I hit a pretty strong draw on a 195 yard par 3 with my 5-iron that flew 210, right into a hazard.  The last thing I need is a iron to fly 15 yards past my normal distance because I didn't lose distance due to the iron being more forgiving and hotter.   I rarely miss "short and straight".  If I miss, I am offline ,and run into that "the longer you hit the ball, the more trouble you get into" scenario.  Is the same reason a guy driving 330 yards who is offline is in a lot more trouble than someone hitting 250. Short misses are playable: long misses left or right are often result in big strokes added.  

Isn't the long miss left likely with any club? Because you close the face and deloft the club and that 7 iron becomes a 5 iron. This would be true of GI, distance irons or players irons wouldn't it?

• Like 2

Cobra King F9  Driver 10.5° Atmos Blue 6 stiff
17° Callaway X Hot 4 wood
20.5°& 23° Cleveland DST Launcher hybrids
Srixon ZX5 5 - PW Modus 105 Regular 

Cleveland CBX Zipcore 48°/9° & 52°/11°, RTX 3 58°/9°
Ping Anser Sigma 2 putter

Anyone that goes with ZX5 all the way through the bag? I am coming from full 565 bag and have really enjoyed them. I went with a full ZX5 setup but if I had one gripe it would be the sole widths. They are noticeably wider on 7-PW than the 565s. So much, that I am starting to question going to ZX7s…but when I looked at the zx7 soles, they were also too thin for my liking and certainly way too thin on 4-6i. 

I know combo is prob the right choice, but I really like the forgiveness of the ZX5s. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, palooka23 said:

Anyone that goes with ZX5 all the way through the bag? I am coming from full 565 bag and have really enjoyed them. I went with a full ZX5 setup but if I had one gripe it would be the sole widths. They are noticeably wider on 7-PW than the 565s. So much, that I am starting to question going to ZX7s…but when I looked at the zx7 soles, they were also too thin for my liking and certainly way too thin on 4-6i. 

I know combo is prob the right choice, but I really like the forgiveness of the ZX5s. 

Too wide from a turf interaction perspective or simply cosmetic? I agree, I was surprised to see how wide they were myself but after hitting my Dad's set a few times and knowing how the V-sole works it didn't really bother me. I'm more curious to see just how different the ZX7 plays once I'm finally able to order. I could totally play a full bag of ZX5 tho.

d: Epic Max | f: Rogue 3HL, Apex UW | h1: Apex Super | i: 923 HM | w: MD4 | p: Chalk Spider X SB

12 hours ago, RoyalMustang said:

I can't speak for the author, but I find that GI irons tend to fly further and that misses aren't as short and therefore further offline. For example, if I miss, I often miss pretty hard left and long  The other day I hit a pretty strong draw on a 195 yard par 3 with my 5-iron that flew 210, right into a hazard.  The last thing I need is a iron to fly 15 yards past my normal distance because I didn't lose distance due to the iron being more forgiving and hotter.   I rarely miss "short and straight".  If I miss, I am offline ,and run into that "the longer you hit the ball, the more trouble you get into" scenario.  Is the same reason a guy driving 330 yards who is offline is in a lot more trouble than someone hitting 250. Short misses are playable: long misses left or right are often result in big strokes added.  

:classic_laugh:

It's been a while since I've heard that reason for preferring blades to GIs.

Thanks for the memories !!!

bh_6_dvd.png?1444250628

• Like 1

Callaway Epic Flash SZ 9.0 Ventus Blue 6S

Ping G425 14.5 Fairway Tour AD TP 6X

Ping G425 MAX 20.5 7 wood Diamana Blue 70 S

Titleist 716 AP-1  5-PW, DGS300

Ping Glide Forged, 48, DGS300

Taylormade MG3 52*, 56*, TW 60* DGS200

LAB Mezz Max 34*, RED, BGT Stability

Titleist Pro V1X

1 hour ago, palooka23 said:

This combo fad(?) is really taking hold, isn't it ?

I understand the manufacturers themselves are sitting up and taking notice. And starting(?) to offer combo sets as a rather normal offering.

Since you say you "really like" the forgiveness of the ZX5s you honestly can feel/notice the difference.

That being the case do you really think a less forgiving but (presumably) more "precise"(?) ZX7 8-PW is going to make any difference  at all in your scoring (potential) over the ZX5s ? :classic_blink:

• Like 3

Titleist Pro V1X

On 2/20/2021 at 6:40 PM, SeaIsland said:

I am a club junkie.

...can't help but believe at my age (63... 6 HC), a graphite drop to 105 or 95 (shaft weight) wouldn't be a good move for me.

...the longer I stood over the ball, the ZX7's kept looking better to my eye. The forgiveness was identical...

Junkies make mistakes and thinking graphite might work for you might be one.  I gave super lightweight steel and graphite a try for fun, but switching back to my old set with mid-weight steel was a light bulb moment. 

The more forgiving option is only best if you need it.  What you see does influence your ball striking and that's independent of whether the head is more forgiving or not.  This makes your choice a no brainer.

2 minutes ago, mootrail said:

Junkies make mistakes and thinking graphite might work for you might be one.  I gave super lightweight steel and graphite a try for fun, but switching back to my old set with mid-weight steel was a light bulb moment. 

The more forgiving option is only best if you need it.  What you see does influence your ball striking and that's independent of whether the head is more forgiving or not.  This makes your choice a no brainer.

So you're saying go with the 7's? Just confirming...  tearing my hair out here. I go back and forth and am thinking combo... but it feels like splitting the baby to me. 

When it comes to creating combo sets the focus is always on the heads and adjusting the lofts to match up. I'm surprised more folks don't want to have different *shafts* in their distance clubs vs. their scoring clubs.

I play stiff flex shafts in my shorter irons and regular flex in my long irons. To me the softer shafts provide the extra measure of distance forgiveness I need in those clubs. I can make a balanced, controlled swing and still launch the ball higher and land it softer. 

I must be an odd duck because even the manufacturers that have embraced mixed sets don't seem to be onto this. 

Edited by me05501
  • Like 1

Paradym TD 10.5/Tensei Blue 65R

TM BRNR Mini 13.5

Callaway Rogue Max D 3 wood

Paradym 4 hybrid

Srixon ZX5 / ZX7 on MMT 125S

Srixon Z785 AW

Cleveland RTX6 54/58

Cleveland Huntington Beach Soft 11S

Collings OM1-ESS

3 minutes ago, me05501 said:

When it comes to creating combo sets I'm surprised more folks don't want to have different *shafts* in their distance clubs vs. their scoring clubs. The focus is always on the heads and adjusting the lofts to match up. 

I play stiff flex shafts in my shorter irons and regular flex in my long irons. To me the softer shafts provide the extra measure of distance forgiveness I need in those clubs. I can make a balanced, controlled swing and still launch the ball higher and land it softer. 

I must be an odd duck because even the manufacturers that have embraced mixed sets don't seem to be onto this. 

I would tend to think that lofts are far more important to proper gapping than the shaft.

That, and players seem to be far more "loyal" to a brand/model/flex of shaft especially vis-a-vis "feel".

I know when I look for a new iron my first "go to" is for the DGS300s I'm used to playing. And I doubt I'd even think about a different shaft for irons within the same set, even with slightly different heads. 51683a_c2f3f9efec304733bca1337b57bbd1d3~

Titleist Pro V1X

40 minutes ago, nsxguy said:

This combo fad(?) is really taking hold, isn't it ?

I understand the manufacturers themselves are sitting up and taking notice. And starting(?) to offer combo sets as a rather normal offering.

Since you say you "really like" the forgiveness of the ZX5s you honestly can feel/notice the difference.

That being the case do you really think a less forgiving but (presumably) more "precise"(?) ZX7 8-PW is going to make any difference  at all in your scoring (potential) over the ZX5s ? :classic_blink:

The ZX5 definitely has more forgiveness across the face and I kinda prefer that for my notsogreat ball striking days. 
I would say that in a perfect world, I would prefer the sole width of the 565 (narrower than ZX5 and wider than ZX7) and the looks/appearance/feel of the ZX5. 
Since that’s not an option, I have to choose between the chunky soles of the ZX5 or the narrow soles of the ZX7.  Or...combo. 🤣

41 minutes ago, nsxguy said:

I would tend to think that lofts are far more important to proper gapping than the shaft.

That, and players seem to be far more "loyal" to a brand/model/flex of shaft especially vis-a-vis "feel".

I know when I look for a new iron my first "go to" is for the DGS300s I'm used to playing. And I doubt I'd even think about a different shaft for irons within the same set, even with slightly different heads. 51683a_c2f3f9efec304733bca1337b57bbd1d3~

It probably does make me weird. There have been shafts like the TT Tri Gold and Ping Constant Weight and others that varied the shaft specs throughout the set of irons but they've never been as popular as normal shafts. 

I most definitely expect different things from my "scoring" clubs and my "distance" clubs. For the 4/5/6 I am most concerned with consistency of distance from the widest variety of lies. For 7 and less I want to have more control. For me it's logical to use different shafts to get those results (though I use different club heads as well). 

Paradym TD 10.5/Tensei Blue 65R

TM BRNR Mini 13.5

Callaway Rogue Max D 3 wood

Paradym 4 hybrid

Srixon ZX5 / ZX7 on MMT 125S

Srixon Z785 AW

Cleveland RTX6 54/58

Cleveland Huntington Beach Soft 11S

Collings OM1-ESS

Because I ordered 6-AW in the zx7s I just didn't see getting the 6i in a zx5 - I've always hit 6i okay and to me there was the loft/blend issue and having negative experiences the couple of times I tried a 4i/5i combo with AP1 to go with AP2.  Those AP1 clubs never felt the same and it wasn't a seamless transition for me.  Last set of AP2s I just ditched the 4 for a hybrid and ordered the 5i in AP2 and it was no worse, lol - notice I have now ditched 5i for a 27 degree hybrid (which I love).

Looking back maybe a different shaft would have made a difference with those two irons and I never thought to explore it, nor was it suggested by the fitter.  

Then again every time that commercial comes on with all the excuses and the "I've never liked odd numbered irons" it makes me laugh because when I was a kid and probably for the first 20 years I played I always had this irrational idea I hit the even numbered clubs better, lol.  Would never warm with an odd numbered iron on the range.

The game is too mental.

8 hours ago, palooka23 said:

I had the 565s before the ZX5s.  The sole is one area I felt the ZX5 were a step back. They are a bit thicker.  However, I haven't any issues playing them.  I live in Texas and it's nothing but dormant Bermuda this time of year.  I've played about 6 rounds with them....and had a whole lot of tight hard lies.  I think a lot of it is the v-sole is gonna do it's thing, even with the wide sole.

• Like 2

PING G430 Max 10.5 

Cleveland Launcher XL Hy-wood 18*
Cleveland Launcher XL Halo 4H

Cleveland XL Halo 5H

Srixon MKii ZX5s 6-PW Modus 105s

Cleveland CBX4 Zipcore 48*

Cleveland CBX4 Zipcore 52*
Cleveland CBX4 Zipcore 56*

PXG Battle Ready 'Bat Attack' 

I went with the ZX7 for the smaller profile even if it’s minimal. Coming from 919 Tours I felt that the ZX7 didn’t give up too much in terms of look and feel but has a massive improvement in forgiveness. I’m thinking the only huge change will be distance with a few degrees stronger per club 

11 minutes ago, tnrts345 said:

I went with the ZX7 for the smaller profile even if it’s minimal. Coming from 919 Tours I felt that the ZX7 didn’t give up too much in terms of look and feel but has a massive improvement in forgiveness. I’m thinking the only huge change will be distance with a few degrees stronger per club 

Off topic, curious if you wanted some more forgiveness and were previously playing 919 Tours, did you look at 921 forged? I play the 919 forged and they remind me a lot of the ZX7s. 

2 minutes ago, TrueWRX said:

I went though a fitting and went 4-6 zx5 and 7-pw zx7. Personally I thought the Zx5 6 iron was like cheating vs zx7 and other 6 irons that I hit during my fitting. I bent the zx5 1 weak for proper gapping. 

If the ZX5 6 iron was 'like cheating' vs the ZX7 any reason you wouldn't play ZX5 7 iron or even the full set?

• Like 2

Cobra King F9  Driver 10.5° Atmos Blue 6 stiff
17° Callaway X Hot 4 wood
20.5°& 23° Cleveland DST Launcher hybrids
Srixon ZX5 5 - PW Modus 105 Regular 

Cleveland CBX Zipcore 48°/9° & 52°/11°, RTX 3 58°/9°
Ping Anser Sigma 2 putter

23 minutes ago, TiScape said:

Off topic, curious if you wanted some more forgiveness and were previously playing 919 Tours, did you look at 921 forged? I play the 919 forged and they remind me a lot of the ZX7s. 

I honestly only looked at ZX7 and the P770 which I landed on for my 4 iron. Bedsides that I hit the Apex Pro for a bit. I never really gave the 921 forged a chance to answer your question 

Edited by tnrts345

3 minutes ago, tnrts345 said:

I honestly only looked at ZX7 and the P770 which I landed on for my 4 iron. Bedsides that I hit the Apex Pro for a bit. I never really gave the 921 forged a chance to answer your question 

I think you made a great choice with the 7s. I hit em in the bay for a while and they felt really good. The 770s look really nice as well. Remind me of the MP20 HMB, which I landed on for my 3 iron. It’s a rocket launcher. 

8 hours ago, nsxguy said:

:classic_laugh:

It's been a while since I've heard that reason for preferring blades to GIs.

Thanks for the memories !!!

bh_6_dvd.png?1444250628

It's all about preference isn't it?  And preference is personal.  I am enjoying the best of both worlds with the ZX5/ZX7 combo set.  If the ZX5s are game improvement then guilty as charged.  If the ZX7 are "players irons" then I guess I am a "game improving player"?  In any event I am thankful to have them in the bag and don't care all that much about the labels we assign to clubs

10 minutes ago, Lobber said:

It's all about preference isn't it?  And preference is personal.  I am enjoying the best of both worlds with the ZX5/ZX7 combo set.  If the ZX5s are game improvement then guilty as charged.  If the ZX7 are "players irons" then I guess I am a "game improving player"?  In any event I am thankful to have them in the bag and don't care all that much about the labels we assign to clubs

Of course it's all about preference. And about picking whatever equipment one wants for whatever reason one wants it.

All I was commenting on is the "So, if a CB goes farther then when I hit it offine it goes farther into the woods" suggestion. One I (thankfully) haven't heard in a loooooong time.

IMO that's a ridiculous reason for dismissing CBs.

The occasional wild IRON strike that goes further offline is, or should be IMO, the exception, an extreme example; certainly not  a (legitimate) reason to discount the CB.

If it IS a common occurrence that person doesn't need golf equipment. He/she needs a needle and thread and take up sewing.  :classic_laugh:

• Like 2

Titleist Pro V1X

8 hours ago, JFM628 said:

There have been a couple posts here with good players choosing the 5's.  I went with a full set of 5's and had the same considerations and wavering you had for a while.  I am a 6 and the whole world will tell me to go with the 7's but I chose the 5's for a couple reasons. The first is that they just were more comfortable to me.  I am, admittedly, not as sensitive to "feel" as others.  What feels good to me is a good shot and the 5's were doing that more consistently.  

I also don't care that I have GI clubs in my bag.  I prefer the forgiveness and while many here say there was no discernable difference in forgiveness, I thought there was.  The bottom line is that I thought the 5's were more forgiving and dispersion was very close.

I am coming from an 11 year old set of Mizuno 850 JPX (non-Pro)...on a relative basis those are more GI, less tech, less feel, relatively thick soled and thick top-lined -  so the 5's were a very nice improvement.  

Lastly, I also thought if at some point I felt I really needed to combo these, I could add the 7 AW or PW and see if made any real difference but for now, the 5's are the right clubs and no need to.

The two are almost indistinguishable at address. A very negligible difference. The ZX5’s are not “game improvement clubs”. They look better than anything in the same class. Some people are only choosing ZX7’s to satisfy their egos, play what the pros play, or whatever reason. Most should be playing ZX5’s.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Ripper859 said:

The two are almost indistinguishable at address. A very negligible difference. The ZX5’s are not “game improvement clubs”. They look better than anything in the same class. Some people are only choosing ZX7’s to satisfy their egos, play what the pros play, or whatever reason. Most should be playing ZX5’s.

You didn’t notice more offset on the 5s than the 7s? A little beyond a negligible  difference to my eye. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, TiScape said:

You didn’t notice more offset on the 5s than the 7s? A little beyond a negligible  difference to my eye. 

Sure. Maybe a little but nothing to fuss over. Everyone’s obsession with offset is becoming laughable. We all grew up playing Ping Eye 2’s, including many of the pros (Including Tiger and Phil *Gasp). Do you know how much offset those had? With that said, ZX5’s bent weak to match the lofts of ZX7’s have less offset than ZX7’s.

• Like 4