ZX5 vs. ZX7 -- a 6HC's review

9 hours ago, kiwihacker said:

If the ZX5 6 iron was 'like cheating' vs the ZX7 any reason you wouldn't play ZX5 7 iron or even the full set?

Truthfully I said the same thing to myself after I placed the order. My theory behind it is I just try to hit a green 4-6 iron. Once I go 7 iron up I start aiming at flags etc. also my course has some brutal rough. We’ll see how it works out. In the end I may go all zx5s. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Replies 295
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

its the exchanged rate dummy. 3weeks US is 10 days Canadian. 

I was ready to place my order for the ZX5's... replacing the 4 iron with the 4/Utility, and go with the TM Sim2 3 and 5 woods, because the top set gaps for me were perfect. I am a club junkie, so I re

Tried ZX5 and ZX7 and the 5 felt a lot more forgiving to me. Anyone saying they’re the same hits the center of the clubface a lot better and more regularly than I do 😃. I don’t think people are exagge

Posted Images

25 minutes ago, TrueWRX said:

Truthfully I said the same thing to myself after I placed the order. My theory behind it is I just try to hit a green 4-6 iron. Once I go 7 iron up I start aiming at flags etc. also my course has some brutal rough. We’ll see how it works out. In the end I may go all zx5s. 

Maybe some of these decisions are/should be based on where we play.  I am in the southern part of the midwest.  In a typical year we will have very firm conditions to hard in the middle of summer and middle of winter.  We will have soggy mush in parts of spring and sometimes parts of fall.  My home course has a slope of 132 and that is mostly because there are huge trees everywhere.  

I feel like super firm and super soft lies get tougher as the sole of the club widens.  When I have tree limbs to negotiate and must keep it flighted down, I think that shot is really tough with high launching clubs.  Then there are the shots you have to move out of the tree line to get to the green and that is so tough with a club that promotes straight and high.

I guess I really do believe there are valid reasons to choose one club over another, but that answer may not be the one you hit the highest and furthest.

I went combo splitting at the 6i.  I really wonder about that sometimes because I feel the 5 and 6 are clubs I have to be able to flight down and move (cut or draw) out of tree lines more often than I wish (drivers fault 🙂 ).  I guess we will see!

Edited by rxk9fan

Callaway Epic Max with Tensei Blue Raw

TM Sim Max 5 wood with Ventus Blue

TM Sim Max 3 hybrid with Ventus Blue

TM M6 5 hybrid with Hzrdus 

Srixon 545 5i with Recoil 110 F4

Srixon Z945 6- I PW with Recoil 110 F4

52 and 56 degree Ping Forged with Recoil 110 F4

60 Glide 2 with SF 110

Ping Prime Tyne or Spider Tour Black

10 hours ago, kiwihacker said:

If the ZX5 6 iron was 'like cheating' vs the ZX7 any reason you wouldn't play ZX5 7 iron or even the full set?

Yep - 44 degree pitching wedges are hard to gap with wedges.  So if you’re then going to play a combo set the lofts work out well if you weaken the 6 iron 1 degree.  

How much more forgiving would the ZX5 be in the PW anyway?

• Like 1

Callaway Rogue 10.5
Callaway BB Alpha 816 16
Srixon Z H45 19 Hybrid
Srixon Z U85 23 Utility
Srixon Z 785/Z-Forged 5 - PW
Cleveland RTX-4 Mid Grind 50 54 58
TaylorMade Spider Tour Red
TaylorMade TP5X

6 minutes ago, anth said:

Yep - 44 degree pitching wedges are hard to gap with wedges.  So if you’re then going to play a combo set the lofts work out well if you weaken the 6 iron 1 degree.  

I agree I went 1 weak in my zx5 4-6. Only ever really needed help in 4-6 for me. Well see how it works out 

1 hour ago, rxk9fan said:

Maybe some of these decisions are/should be based on where we play.  I am in the southern part of the midwest.  In a typical year we will have very firm conditions to hard in the middle of summer and middle of winter.  We will have soggy mush in parts of spring and sometimes parts of fall.  My home course has a slope of 132 and that is mostly because there are huge trees everywhere.  

I feel like super firm and super soft lies get tougher as the sole of the club widens.  When I have tree limbs to negotiate and must keep it flighted down, I think that shot is really tough with high launching clubs.  Then there are the shots you have to move out of the tree line to get to the green and that is so tough with a club that promotes straight and high.

I guess I really do believe there are valid reasons to choose one club over another, but that answer may not be the one you hit the highest and furthest.

I went combo splitting at the 6i.  I really wonder about that sometimes because I feel the 5 and 6 are clubs I have to be able to flight down and move (cut or draw) out of tree lines more often than I wish (drivers fault 🙂 ).  I guess we will see!

I can confirm that the zx5 are HOT and launch super high. I got them in my 5i and 6i. With that being said, very easy to knock down as well. You can very easily hit a “stinger” with that 5i. 

• Like 3
48 minutes ago, Ryan19jwu said:

I can confirm that the zx5 are HOT and launch super high. I got them in my 5i and 6i. With that being said, very easy to knock down as well. You can very easily hit a “stinger” with that 5i. 

Agree totally.  I have the 4 Iron also and it is easy to hit off the deck or tee.  Stuck on from 202 yds on Sunday over a pond to set up an eagle putt on a par five which of course I missed for a birdie.  Simply loving my combo of ZX5/7

• Like 3
4 hours ago, rxk9fan said:

because I think it gives me my best chance to score better

Full stop !!!

4 hours ago, rxk9fan said:

You can read over and over "everyone should be playing the biggest club they can stand to look down at".  

Gotta say I seldom see that on WRX, never mind "over and over". Maybe I'm just not reading those threads. shrug.gif

• Like 1

Want more posters to read and reply ? "[EMBRACE] THE LINE BREAK"

Callaway Epic Flash SZ Triple Diamond 9.0 Tour AD TP-6 Stiff

Ping G400 hybrid, 19*, 70 gr Stock Stiff

Ping G20, 5-PW, DGS300

Ping Glide Forged, 48, 52, 60, DGS300

Vokey SM8 56/08 (Thanks WRX !!!)

Seemore MT7 Face Balanced (Today)

Chrome Soft Truvis Yellow/Black

2 hours ago, Ryan19jwu said:

I played last week with 2 really good players. We were all about 255-260 to this par 5. They went for it and ended up in the front bunker with 3 woods. I try to play smart, hit the 5 iron to leave a little pitch in to the green. I find my ball in the same bunker! Obviously rolled in but I was shocked I hit a 5 iron about 240 yards.

I'm at the point now trying to figure out what club to go with next. ZX5 4 iron, ZX utility 3 or 4, ZX4 4 iron? 

Just now, Scootre said:

I played last week with 2 really good players. We were all about 255-260 to this par 5. They went for it and ended up in the front bunker with 3 woods. I try to play smart, hit the 5 iron to leave a little pitch in to the green. I find my ball in the same bunker! Obviously rolled in but I was shocked I hit a 5 iron about 240 yards.

I'm at the point now trying to figure out what club to go with next. ZX5 4 iron, ZX utility 3 or 4, ZX4 4 iron? 

I have a 3 and 4UT(or I will whenever FedEx shows up today) that I’ll use depending on where I’m playing. 3UT and a hybrid get swapped out depending on turf and course. 

3 hours ago, nsxguy said:

Full stop !!!

Gotta say I seldom see that on WRX, never mind "over and over". Maybe I'm just not reading those threads. shrug.gif

Man you have been here a while so with full respect I am surprised.  May possibly be I am for some reason on point for it...or just full of [email protected]!p :-)??  My wife would probably verify the later!

Callaway Epic Max with Tensei Blue Raw

TM Sim Max 5 wood with Ventus Blue

TM Sim Max 3 hybrid with Ventus Blue

TM M6 5 hybrid with Hzrdus 

Srixon 545 5i with Recoil 110 F4

Srixon Z945 6- I PW with Recoil 110 F4

52 and 56 degree Ping Forged with Recoil 110 F4

60 Glide 2 with SF 110

Ping Prime Tyne or Spider Tour Black

15 minutes ago, rxk9fan said:

Man you have been here a while so with full respect I am surprised.  May possibly be I am for some reason on point for it...or just full of [email protected]!p :-)??  My wife would probably verify the later!

Not sure to which statement I made you're referring to but I've always said golfers should play whatever they want for whatever reasons they want.

Or, if the latter (over and over saying the largest club they can look at), I've seen that occasionally but not all that often.

Later :classic_wink:

Want more posters to read and reply ? "[EMBRACE] THE LINE BREAK"

Callaway Epic Flash SZ Triple Diamond 9.0 Tour AD TP-6 Stiff

Ping G400 hybrid, 19*, 70 gr Stock Stiff

Ping G20, 5-PW, DGS300

Ping Glide Forged, 48, 52, 60, DGS300

Vokey SM8 56/08 (Thanks WRX !!!)

Seemore MT7 Face Balanced (Today)

Chrome Soft Truvis Yellow/Black

8 hours ago, rxk9fan said:

FWIW, we didn't all grow up playing eye2's and if we choose the ZX7 or combo, it has nothing to do with ego.  When I play a thin soled club, it is because I think it gives me my best chance to score better, no different than the people who go with a wide sole because they think that gives them their best chance to score better. 

Without doubt many single digit players in my club play a thinner soled club from one of the manufacturers.  Most of them are very competitive and work too hard on their game not to choose the clubs that give them their best scores possible.  Sure, if we played every shot from a tee, or cleaned and placed before every shot, maybe a thicker sole would be ok.  But, if I am hitting from a tight lie with really firm conditions or a soupy lie, or from a divot, or many others conditions, I don't want a GI club.  The Srixon V-sole fixes some of those challenges, but the V-sole on a thinner club fixes more of them.

I am surprised by the number of people on golf threads who want to validate their choice in clubs by saying others should be playing it. You can read over and over "everyone should be playing the biggest club they can stand to look down at".  Maybe that is great advice for the first time or inexperienced golfer.  For people who work at their game, they should play the club that gives them the best chance to hit good shots on the course.  It is not about pounding 20 balls off of a mat and seeing which goes the furthest and highest on Trackman.  It is about picking the club that allows you to hit the best shots from the places your ball ends up during a round of golf.  

Well said. I didn’t grow up playing eye2s. My first set were Mizuno T-Zoid PROs. Even though I was told, “ur new to golf, play these”. (Thick sole/top line, big offset) That type of head just never suited my eye. So I bought what I was comfortable with, what looked “right” to me. Absolutely loved the T-zoid PROs. And I did just fine with em. Became a pretty darn good ball striker. The feeling of a well struck shot with those is part of what got me hooked on the game. Years later I’ve tried the occasional X5 type club. Owned 919 Hot Metals for a hot minute. Sold em after 3 rounds and bought the 919 Forged. Ahhhhh. As you said, the turf interaction on a tight lie with a thick sole club definitely doesn’t work for me. Great for a DI. Bottom line, play what your comfortable with, what looks good to you. 

Edited by TiScape
  • Like 2
8 hours ago, anth said:

Agree and this is one of the reasons I like the lofts of the ZX7 and want to combo them with the ZX 5. The ZX5 lofts 24° - 44° in the 5-PW is just like my old 4-9 iron whereas 25° - 46° in the ZX7 is great and leaves room for an extra wedge. 

Cobra King F9  Driver 10.5° Atmos Blue 6 stiff
17° Callaway X Hot 4 wood
20.5°& 23° Cleveland DST Launcher hybrids
Taylormade R7TP 4-PW irons
Cleveland RTX 2 52°/10°, RTX 3 58°/9°
Ping Anser Sigma 2 putter

8 hours ago, TrueWRX said:

This is where I question the number on the club. Everyone says they start shooting at pins with 7-PW but with 4-6 they're just aiming for the middle of the green. Is the loft taken into account or is it just the number on the club?

e.g. my 4-6 iron lofts are 24/27/31 (5-7 in the ZX5) and my 7-PW lofts are 35/39/43/47.

Lofts in the ZX series are one club stronger. So 7-PW is 31-44 in ZX5 or 32-46 in the ZX7. 

If you played my clubs would you say you shoot at the flag with 6-PW (31-47) or would it still be 7-PW (35-47)?

11 hours ago, anth said:

I'm struggling the the gapping dilemma right now.  With my 565s I played a 50, 54, 58 set of wedges.  I have the 5-P ZX5s but the AWs are hard to get. I have a 52* as my next wedge and keep thinking I need something at 48*. 

PING G410 PLUS 9*
PING G400 5-wood
PING G410 22*
Srixon ZX5 5-PW

Cleveland Black Satin CBX 2 48*

Cleveland Black Satin CBX 2 52*
Cleveland CBX 2 56*

Cleveland 588 Tour Action Raw 60*
Cleveland Frontline Elevado
Srixon Z-Star

3 hours ago, kiwihacker said:

This is where I question the number on the club. Everyone says they start shooting at pins with 7-PW but with 4-6 they're just aiming for the middle of the green. Is the loft taken into account or is it just the number on the club?

e.g. my 4-6 iron lofts are 24/27/31 (5-7 in the ZX5) and my 7-PW lofts are 35/39/43/47.

Lofts in the ZX series are one club stronger. So 7-PW is 31-44 in ZX5 or 32-46 in the ZX7. 

If you played my clubs would you say you shoot at the flag with 6-PW (31-47) or would it still be 7-PW (35-47)?

I like strong lofts I hit it high with a lot of spin. I Wouldn’t enjoy your lofts

Im a 5.3 index and just received my ZX5's. 6-AW with Recoil 760 Smacwraps.  Already know I will love them.  They are replacing my Ping G700's.  It was no contest.  Distance, dispersion, feel, looks all went to the ZX5's.

Edited by txgolfer45
  • Like 3

Driver: Callaway Epic Flash 10.5 w/ Project X Evenflow Green 55 R shaft Fairway woods: Callaway Epic Flash 5 and 7 wood Hybrids: Callaway Big Bertha 4i and 5i Irons: Srixon ZX5 6-AW, Wedges: Cleveland RTX Zipcore 56 and 60 degree Putter: mySpider X

17 hours ago, leftylama said:

I went from Z785 to Z585 to T100. To me the ZX5 was more forgiving than the ZX7 and better feeling than the Z585.

I went T100 as it reacts to my miss (low face) better. Whilst I didn't get on with the ZX7 I could bag a set of ZX5

Would love to hear a bit more about how you feel the T-100 compare to the 5/7. Really trying to decide between them. My concern is that the Maltby factor has the T-100 15-20% more MOI. Wondering if that is seen in real life. 

• Like 1

Im struggling (due to operator error) to dial in spin and gapping with my full set of 5s (yes, I need lessons). I just had my lofts weakened 2*, which has helped, but what I think I’m running into is tech more than just loft. I would imagine folks looking into combo sets might experience the same challenge. Iron to iron the 5s and 7s are different, and if I was going to build a combo set I personally would only replace the 4 and 5 irons. 

D3A438CB-EBE5-40F0-8CAF-0ABC44E299AD.jpeg

27 minutes ago, Cactus Jack said:

Im struggling (due to operator error) to dial in spin and gapping with my full set of 5s (yes, I need lessons). I just had my lofts weakened 2*, which has helped, but what I think I’m running into is tech more than just loft. I would imagine folks looking into combo sets might experience the same challenge. Iron to iron the 5s and 7s are different, and if I was going to build a combo set I personally would only replace the 4 and 5 irons. 

I'm confused. Did you weaken the lofts 2* on 7 thru GW? From the stats, looks like 9 iron should be weakened and 7 iron possibly strengthened?

d: Mavrik | f: ST-Z | h1: X Hot | h2: Mavrik | i: zx5/7 | w: MD4 | p: Chalk Spider X SB

38 minutes ago, rondre3000 said:

I'm confused. Did you weaken the lofts 2* on 7 thru GW? From the stats, looks like 9 iron should be weakened and 7 iron possibly strengthened?

Sorry for the confusion. I weakened the lofts throughout my entire set. What I wanted to convey is I'm struggling to dial in a complete set, but P-7 especially. I assume dialing in a combo set will be even more of a challenge. 

9 hours ago, kepeollie said:

Would love to hear a bit more about how you feel the T-100 compare to the 5/7. Really trying to decide between them. My concern is that the Maltby factor has the T-100 15-20% more MOI. Wondering if that is seen in real life. 

I'm finding the T100 to sit close to the ZX5 in forgiveness. Zx7 was about 1/2 club longer and ZX5 full club longer than the t100

• Thanks 2
8 hours ago, Cactus Jack said:

20+ yard gaps at the bottom of the set is tough.  What were you playing before? Do you have similar gaps?

WITB

SIM 9.0 Diamana TB Stiff or PXG Proto X+

XR Pro 18 Speeder stiff

PXG 22 Hybrid Evenflow 80G CB Stiff

Ping I210 or 2020 P770 

Glide 2.0 

Scotty 5.5M with custom welded neck

Pro V1X with Alignment aid

Way too many golf bags, but K1-LO walking and Ping Tour Stand riding

1 hour ago, goheels11 said:

20+ yard gaps at the bottom of the set is tough.  What were you playing before? Do you have similar gaps?

I was playing Ping I210s. I did not have gapping issues. 

I can only tweak the lofts so far, but I’m pretty sure I can dial these in and get consistent 12-15 yard gaps. However, it’s not as simple as adjusting lofts to specific numbers, I’ll need to adjust to carry, spin, descent angle. I suppose I should do that with my previous irons, but I didn’t need to. One positive is for as bad as my ball striking is, the 5s are consistent and outside of spin, the standard deviations are good. 

• Like 1
13 hours ago, Cactus Jack said:

I just had my lofts weakened 2*, which has helped, but what I think I’m running into is tech more than just loft.

In noticing you were fitted for the ZX5s, I'd be headed back to the fitter for a redo.  I play the same lofts in cavity back forged irons and am just about 2 clubs shorter then you.  Sure mine have less tech, but I just don't see how you fit into the hot ZX5s with your carry distance.  You should definitely be playing weaker lofts to start with.

I would also be leery of changing the bounce 2° on a specialize iron sole like the Srixon V sole.  The change might work fine, but it might not.  And that's definitely something to be tested on the course and not off a plastic mat.

Edited by mootrail

This was an interesting read for me.  I started with a set of Z565 with Modus 105 stiff. I was talked into the 565s by the fitter I think mostly because he didn’t want to mess with blending 565/765s.

After I started having problems with my elbows I made the switch to my first set of graphite iron shafts. Project X LZ graphite 95 gram stiff. I have to say after a round or two I got a feel for them and I will never go back to steel. Got a U65 for the 4 iron. Now I am gradually working in Z765 heads when I find a good deal on eBay still need  an 8 & 7 head . I like the way they interact with the ground better than the 565s.
The folks at True Temper recommend going with the lightest shafts you can handle in graphite or steel. I wonder how many play shafts too heavy because of ego?

I ended up putting the same shafts in my wedges and really like them as a wedge shaft. I already was interested in the ZX 7s now you have me thinking about spending money but I’m pretty happy with where my set is going right now. Thanks for the good insight.

5 hours ago, mootrail said:

In noticing you were fitted for the ZX5s, I'd be headed back to the fitter for a redo.  I play the same lofts in cavity back forged irons and am just about 2 clubs shorter then you.  Sure mine have less tech, but I just don't see how you fit into the hot ZX5s with your carry distance.  You should definitely be playing weaker lofts to start with.

I would also be leery of changing the bounce 2° on a specialize iron sole like the Srixon V sole.  The change might work fine, but it might not.  And that's definitely something to be tested on the course and not off a plastic mat.

I wasn't pushed into the 5's, I chose them because I liked them. My fitting experience was fantastic. In hindsight, the downside to my fitting was using only a 6 iron. Had I been able to hit more irons, we would've caught the gapping issue from the beginning. I have no doubt they'll help me dial everything in. 

A big part of my decision was being honest with myself. I'm a terrible golfer, I strike the ball everywhere but the center of the face, and I'm not going to make time to practice or play more often. In terms of equipment, due to my speed and lack of skill, I'm kind of in no man's land. I'm not good enough to play true players level equipment, but a bit to fast to play ultra game improvement stuff too. Offset is especially terrifying to me as my miss is left so my options are limited to begin with. As such, the 5s are exactly what I wanted. They allow me to hit the ball high, far, but more importantly, when I miss, they keep me from falling 20 yards short of my target. Long story short, I need all the help I can get, and the 5s give it to me. Plus...they look cool!

Regarding the bounce, Srixon confirmed both loft and lies can be adjusted +/- 2* without any negative impact. Again, being the hack that I am, I doubt I'd ever notice anyway.  

6 minutes ago, Cactus Jack said:

Regarding the bounce, Srixon confirmed both loft and lies can be adjusted +/- 2* without any negative impact. Again, being the hack that I am, I doubt I'd ever notice anyway.  

Sometimes reading forums like this can be a bad thing. Most golfers probably barely know what bounce is except that you need it in your sand wedge! Lol

• Like 1