80+ driver shafts...please help

Rpete33

Looking for any and all input, I currently game a 8 degree tour issue m6 driver with a AV raw white proto 75TX, tipped .5 inches, playing at 45.5 inches. I have a super quick tempo and swing it pretty hard, (topped out at 137 tonight) finding the right tempo is extremely hard for me. Distance isn’t an issue, I pushed one out to 370 on the simulator tonight, my issue is control and dispersion. I am seriously considering playing an 85g driver shaft I just have no place to start. I’m assuming most places don’t carry 80+ driver length shafts and they certainly don’t have anything near that in my hometown in South Dakota. I just want to chill my tempo, I really enjoy my current shaft and my spin numbers where really decent, 2400-2800, do I go 85g in the same shaft with no tipping? Do I try something completely new, any and all input is welcome. There’s a few options that I could order to try but am scared without some help, (Callaway Max LS w/ hzdrus smoke black 6.5, tsi3 w/ av raw white 2.0 proto 85, ping g425 lst w av raw orange 85tx) let me have it, I know most will say get fit but that’s not an option for me

Been in a similar situation. Basically tried the 70g shafts and got an 80g version of the one I liked best. For tipping I would order the shaft standard but over length by and inch. After you try it you can decide if you want to tip it some more. Other thing you can do if you like you current shaft is to use 10g of lead tape at the balance point of the shaft. You'll still have the same shaft but will play 10g heavier. 

• Like 1

If you search a bit on eBay, you can find some things that might get 'er done.  I've seen Aldila Tour Green 85 shafts in TX for under $70, as one example.

Hard to say how far up the flex curve you need to go at your speed.  I'd guess TX with some tipping, but I really am just guessing...

• Like 2

The Ever Changing Bag!  A lot of mixing and matching
Driver: TM 300 Mini 11.5*, 43.5", Phenom NL 60X -or- Cobra SpeedZone, ProtoPype 80S, 43.5"

Fwy woods: King LTD 3/4, RIP Beta 90X -or- TM Sim2 Ti 3w, NV105 X
Hybrid:  Cobra King Tec 2h, MMT 80 S 

Irons grab bag:  1-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 1-PW Golden Ram TW282, RIP Tour 115 R; 2-PW Golden Ram Vibration Matched, NS Pro 950WF S
Wedges:  Dynacraft Dual Millled 52*, SteelFiber i125 S -or- Scratch 8620 DD 53*, SteelFiber i125 S; Cobra Snakebite 56* -or- Wilson Staff PMP 58*, Dynamic S -or- Ram TW282 SW -or- Ram TW276 SW
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34" -or- Cleveland Huntington Beach #1, 34.5" -or- Golden Ram TW Custom, 34" -or- Rife Bimini, 34" -or- Maxfli TM-2, 35"
Balls: Chrome Soft, Kirkland Signature 3pc (v3)

Grip preference: various GripMaster leather options, Best Grips Microperfs, or Star Grip Sidewinders of assorted colors

8 minutes ago, NRJyzr said:

If you search a bit on eBay, you can find some things that might get 'er done.  I've seen Aldila Tour Green 85 shafts in TX for under $70, as one example.

Hard to say how far up the flex curve you need to go at your speed.  I'd guess TX with some tipping, but I really am just guessing...

That’s a great cheaper idea, just ordered an Aldila tour green 85tx for some testing 

• Like 1

I had a similar issue when the first GBB Epic came out and was fitted into the Rogue Max 85 (89g) X tipped 1".  I lost a little club head speed, but it tightened up my dispersion big time.  Since then I have changed my swing and dramatically smoothed my transition.  Still swing 120+, but way smoother and less effort.  Before, I actually cracked the bottom of the driver face multiple times.  Once on that Epic and another on an older Cobra.  Swing speed + the speed of the face closure caused  crazy dispersion sometimes.  Even when I middled it.  I feel you.  If money was no object, I'd tip a Ventus Black 80X 1".  Feel and stability.  

• Like 1

The 75s are 79 grams uncut.  You might not notice much difference jumping up to an 85 gram.  On paper it’s different but maybe not in your hands.  Maybe it’s exactly what you need, who knows right!  Lol.   If you aren’t already try to become familiar with the shaft profiles and the stiffness in each section of the shaft.   I’ve noticed there are subtle differences in butt and tip stiffness and lager differences in mid section stiffness but there are really unique profiles as well.  Like the LAGA Trono.  Soft butt and tip and super stiff mid.  Pretty much the complete opposite of the most common profile.   I just picked up an Aldila RIP Phenom Nasty Long I’m going to try out.  If you’re like me and a large number of members you will find something that works and still get rid of it for something new.  Good luck and just so you know the ball still goes far with 110-120 swing speed!

Driver: Stealth 2+ 10.5° TR Black 6S Tipped 1”.

Fairways: Stealth 2+ 16.5° 1K Black 75S Tipped 1”. 
Stealth + 19° 1K Black 85S Tipped 1.5”.

Irons: Mim Tours 3-PW Modus 115X 3C14 Protos.

WedgesRTX6 50, 54, 58 Modus 125S.

Putter: White Hot Versa Double Wide.

Ball: Z-Star Diamond.

23 minutes ago, GL3 said:

75s are 79 grams uncut

The Tour Green 85 TX is 89g uncut.  Seems to be a theme in the Green models for Aldila.

The Tour Blue models tend to be a few grams lighter than the Tour Green.

Edited by NRJyzr

Driver: TM 300 Mini 11.5*, 43.5", Phenom NL 60X -or- Cobra SpeedZone, ProtoPype 80S, 43.5"

Irons grab bag:  1-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 1-PW Golden Ram TW282, RIP Tour 115 R; 2-PW Golden Ram Vibration Matched, NS Pro 950WF S
Wedges:  Dynacraft Dual Millled 52*, SteelFiber i125 S -or- Scratch 8620 DD 53*, SteelFiber i125 S; Cobra Snakebite 56* -or- Wilson Staff PMP 58*, Dynamic S -or- Ram TW282 SW -or- Ram TW276 SW
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34" -or- Cleveland Huntington Beach #1, 34.5" -or- Golden Ram TW Custom, 34" -or- Rife Bimini, 34" -or- Maxfli TM-2, 35"

Grip preference: various GripMaster leather options, Best Grips Microperfs, or Star Grip Sidewinders of assorted colors

22 minutes ago, NRJyzr said:

The Tour Green 85 TX is 89g uncut.  Seems to be a theme in the Green models for Aldila.

The Tour Blue models tend to be a few grams lighter than the Tour Green.

Miss read, I saw 86 when I looked.  Thanks for fact checking.  

Driver: Stealth 2+ 10.5° TR Black 6S Tipped 1”.

Fairways: Stealth 2+ 16.5° 1K Black 75S Tipped 1”. 
Stealth + 19° 1K Black 85S Tipped 1.5”.

Irons: Mim Tours 3-PW Modus 115X 3C14 Protos.

WedgesRTX6 50, 54, 58 Modus 125S.

Putter: White Hot Versa Double Wide.

Ball: Z-Star Diamond.

2 hours ago, GL3 said:

Miss read, I saw 86 when I looked.  Thanks for fact checking.  

I'm sorry for nitpicking.  Seems a theme with me, LOL.

The weights of the NV and subsequent shafts is something I appreciate about Aldila shafts.  I like my graphite wood/hybrid shafts on the heavier side, having an 85 model thats pushing 90g appeals to me.

The RIP Alpha 80 is also upper 80s in raw weight.  Which is nice.

• Like 2

Unpopular suggestion but an easy/cheap experiment.... that's IF you don't mind trying a strip of lead tape on a shaft.  Cut a 10 gram strip (on my roll it was 8.5"L).  You would start with it centered on the balance point of the shaft itself (without grip, adapter), but if you want to guess to start off you can try it centered at 14" from the grip end.  Adjust by feel.

I played an Aldila RIP Nasty Long 60TX with a lead strip along the back like this for a year and it was great.  It was like a makeshift 70TX.  Though I know flex profile and torque may differ amongst weight classes, it was the heavier weight I was after.  I had a preferred 70+gram shaft, Matrix Black Tie, that I swung better, and tried it to salvage the lighter Aldila NL.  Worked for me.

Gonna tote my swingweight Excel sheet again... 2nd tab on bottom is how I calculate where to position the lead tape if you had a prefered heavier reference club (1st tab is a swingweight calculator if you don't have a scale):

Swingweight_Torque_Calculator_20201223.xlsx

Again, just a quick cheap experiment if you're willing to try.  OP saw you picked up Tour Green and Blue 85TX shafts.... If one of those work for you, and you want to try to salvage the 75TX, give it a shot.

SBGJAHPBQRPP.jpg.64ab6a86fc01dff5867ee9a823a05f48.jpg

• Like 2

D1 Cobra LTDx, OG HZ Black 62 6.5 D2 TM R510TP, 757X 3W OG Ping Rapture, OG HZ Black 75 6.0 20°H Ping G20, CTLX 5I Cobra F9, CTLX 5I-PW Mizuno MP-54, CTLX GW Nike VPC, V120X 54, 60 CBX Zipcore, V120X Cure RX4, CX3. WITB Link. CAD Designs on IG @joostin.golf

That’s for the input for everyone, after some research and talking to a few buddies in the industry  I have decided to go back to a faithful ping in my drivers. They have a av raw tensei orange 85tx which is only 82 grams raw so it’s not a crazy jump but they heavier weight paired with a ping g425lst which is also heavier will hopefully help with my tempo, the Tourx was only a 12 dollar upgrade through Carl’s to, always had great success with ping drivers and enjoy a counterbalance shaft in my driver. Excited to get it! 

On 2/20/2021 at 9:27 PM, Rpete33 said:

Looking for any and all input, I currently game a 8 degree tour issue m6 driver with a AV raw white proto 75TX, tipped .5 inches, playing at 45.5 inches. I have a super quick tempo and swing it pretty hard, (topped out at 137 tonight) finding the right tempo is extremely hard for me. Distance isn’t an issue, I pushed one out to 370 on the simulator tonight, my issue is control and dispersion. I am seriously considering playing an 85g driver shaft I just have no place to start. I’m assuming most places don’t carry 80+ driver length shafts and they certainly don’t have anything near that in my hometown in South Dakota. I just want to chill my tempo, I really enjoy my current shaft and my spin numbers where really decent, 2400-2800, do I go 85g in the same shaft with no tipping? Do I try something completely new, any and all input is welcome. There’s a few options that I could order to try but am scared without some help, (Callaway Max LS w/ hzdrus smoke black 6.5, tsi3 w/ av raw white 2.0 proto 85, ping g425 lst w av raw orange 85tx) let me have it, I know most will say get fit but that’s not an option for me

I say you fix the flaw in the swing that is causing the dispersion issue.......

I find that playing heavier sw helps for hard swingers like myself whether it be adding hotmelt/lead tape or playing a heavier shaft.  I normally play D4 but have added a little lead tape to the head to get it up to D5 and my dispersion is improving. 

• Like 1

Callaway AI Smoke Paradym 💎💎💎9* - Tour AD VF-7TX

TM SIM ti 15* - Diamana GT 80TX

TM Tour Issue Rescue 11 TP Deep Face Proto 16* - Ventus Black HB 9TX

New Level NLU-01 21* - KBS Hybrid Proto 105X

New Level 623-M 5-PW - MMT 125TX

Miura Tour 54* HB - KBS 610 125 S+, New Level SPN forged M-grind 58* - KBS Tour 130X

Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2