ZX7's versus i210's

Narrowed my search down to these two. If you've played or hit both, I'd like to hear from you regarding the respective forgiveness and feel of these two sets. How do they differ and which is superior in those categories and why? I've played Pings before and currently bag a 965/565 combo set, which I really like. But you know how it goes with new equipment...this is golfwrx after all!

I have no way to demo these (def not the Srixons and the Pings will not have the right shafts I want) at my location, so I'll just preempt the tired troll post of someone telling me to "get fitted".  

So ZX7 v i210's...let's hear it! Thanks.

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I own I210s and was just fitted for Srixons. During my testing I hit both the ZX7s and 5s and ultimately chose the 5s.    In my hands the I210s are a Goldilocks club, everything is just right.

There's a huge difference in the size of the sole and cavity between the two irons. The 210's should feel better when you mishit them with a cavity that big. 

I'm coming from the 210s to the ZX 7.  I like the look of the 210s but, for me, the sole was a touch too wide so I didn't love the way the club got through the turf.  I also own a set of s55 irons whi

1020 Endo forged vs stainless ? Not a fair fight feel wise. 210's might be a hair more forgiving but not much. 

Edited by braincramp52

Ping G410  10.5 Project X Evenflow 5.5

Ping G425 5 wood
Ping Anser 20* Hybrid

Srixon ZX5's  5-PW

Ping Glide 3.0  50*
Ping Glide
 54 & 58*ES

Bettinardi Queen B 6

I don’t have much to add other than that these are the irons I’m also interested in, so I’m looking forward to others feedback.  I’ve hit the pings and love them, but the Srixons look great and I love the look of the sole on them.  
how would you characterize your swing?  The Srixons seem popular with people who are a tad steeper and the pings for slightly shallower, although I’m sure they both work well for most competent players.  That observation was just one that others have shared, not something I’ve experienced, so take it with a big ole grain of salt...

5 minutes ago, jomatty said:

I don’t have much to add other than that these are the irons I’m also interested in, so I’m looking forward to others feedback.  I’ve hit the pings and love them, but the Srixons look great and I love the look of the sole on them.  
how would you characterize your swing?  The Srixons seem popular with people who are a tad steeper and the pings for slightly shallower, although I’m sure they both work well for most competent players.  That observation was just one that others have shared, not something I’ve experienced, so take it with a big ole grain of salt...

I'm not overly steep. Somewhere in between. My '65's have the VT sole, and I like it. But the i210's consistently get rave reviews, and their presence on every tour is further validation. The initial word on the Zx7's is also mad positive, so I just want to get the low down on the head to head comparison. 

Zx7’s are Endo forged. In my opinion this isn’t really a apples to apples comparison. I think the zx7’s would compare more to the iBlade. i210 soles are much wider with more bounce so that is going to be a big consideration. i210’s should be a tad more forgiving but the zx7’s should be plenty forgiving for if you if this is the category of irons you’re looking at. I think the zx7 looks much better in the long irons. Less offset and with the i210 4/5 you can almost see a little bit of the cavity. 7-pw there’s not much difference. 

I almost think the i210 sits in between the zx5 and zx7. Take what I’m saying with a grain of salt but a lot of top players in the world play the i210 with no issue. I think the zx7 though is probably top 2 or 3 iron of the year. 

Titleist TSi3 Ventus Black 6x
Ping G410 14.5 Ventus Blue 7x
Ping G410 19H Tensei Blue TX
TBD

Cleveland Zipcore 52MID/56LOW/60MID

Ping Sigma 2 Tyne Stealh, Stealth shaft. PP58 Black Cord
Snell MTB-X
Jones Trouper 2.0

I played i210s last season and while I generally liked them, I didn’t care for the turf interaction. I have a steeper AoA so, ymmv. I just got my ZX7s in yesterday so can’t really give any on course reviews yet. I’ll say from my time on the launch monitor, the ZX7s feel MUCH better to me (but not a fair comparison bc one is cast and the other is endo forged). The i210s are a great club, just wasn’t the right club for me. I also didn’t have the optimal shaft in them. 

As always, I’d suggest a fitting or at the very least demoing both. I went in to my local shop to demo new irons and the Srixons weren’t even on my radar (I went in to find the right shaft in either JPX 921 or MP20 SEL). I saw the ZX7s in the fitting cart and thought they looked good and the rest is history. 

[b]WITB[/b]
Cobra F9 - Rogue White 130 6X 
Cobra F8 3-4 - Rogue White 130 8X
Cobra F9 19* - Tensei Pro White 90X
Srixon ZX7 4-PW - PX LZ 6.5

Titleist SM7 Black 50,54,58
TM Spider Tour Black

I have hit and owned almost all PING’s - but the i210 - and now have ZX7

The PIng stuff feels great but not like buttered lobster like the Endo Srixon’s

For as a little steeper guy, these soles are incredible thru the turf, very versatile

Ping G400 Max GD Pershing 55x

Ping G400 5w 16.5* Blueboard 73x 

Cally Apex '16 3h 20* KK Silver 80x

Cally Apex '16 4h 23* KK Silver 80x

Srixon ZX7 5i  AD DI di 95x 

Srixon ZX7 6 - PW Nippon Modus 3 Tour 120s
Vokey SM2 50*, SM2 TVD M 56* & 60*, SM2 64.07

Scotty GoLo 7

I'm coming from the 210s to the ZX 7.  I like the look of the 210s but, for me, the sole was a touch too wide so I didn't love the way the club got through the turf.  I also own a set of s55 irons which are tremendous through the turf (for me) so I'm thinking the Zx7 will play more like the s55 from a turf interaction standpoint with better forgiveness.  I will also be giving the MMT shaft a whirl in the Srixons so that will be something different too. 

• Like 1

Ping 400 Max

M2 15 degrees

PXG Hybrid 17/22

Srixon ZX5 5 iron

Srixon ZX7  6-PW

Ping Glide Wedges 2.0 50/54/58

Ping Anser Sigma 2

I own I210s and was just fitted for Srixons. During my testing I hit both the ZX7s and 5s and ultimately chose the 5s. 

In my hands the I210s are a Goldilocks club, everything is just right. They don’t lead the pack in anyone category, but are above average in all. Compared to the 7s they were much more forgiving, produced more consistent ball speed, and my dispersion was much tighter. 

Feel is so subjective, and I’ll no doubt be roasted, but I think the Pings feel better than the 7s. Pure shot to pure shot, both clubs feel and sound fantastic. In my hands I might give the 7s the edge, but the Pings feel amazing. Once you factor in poor strikes the Pings consistently feel better. For example, a toe clank with the Pings feels bad, but the same shot with the 7s feels terrible. I’m not a pure ball striker so the consistent feel of the Pings is a win for me. 

Why did I end up purchasing the ZX5s? They combine the Goldilock features of the Pings with the best of the 7s. Great looks, feel, sound, consistent/predictable performance, more forgiving etc. If you like the Pings and the 7s, do yourself a favor and check out the 5s too.  

Edited by Cactus Jack
  • Like 2

I currently own both with Modus 105.  They are both great clubs and I’d be happy to play either.  However, ZX7 is the clear winner for me.

Feel:  I may be in the minority here but I think the i210 may actually feel ‘softer’.  However, the ZX7s feel ‘better’.  It is hard to describe but the i210 is so muted it can be hard to tell where you miss - the feedback is missing until you stray a bit further away from center.  The ZX7s on the other hand are the perfect combination of ‘solid’ and ‘soft’.  If you’ve had the chance to hit a Miura and Mizuno MB or one-piece CB - imagine they had a love child.

Forgiveness:  Will post link below to review I did on ZX7.  Saw basically the same with i210 as it applies to missing the center.  Regarding manipulating trajectory, i210 is more like AP2 so here again ZX7 better for me.  I think that loft for loft the i210s probably launch a bit higher - almost like the ZX5 ballflight.  Sole wise, I prefer the ZX7.

They are both great choices and you’ll likely be very happy with either.

• Like 1

917D2 9.5 w/S+

2 x TS2 @ 16.5 and 21

2 x 818 H1 @ 22 and 26 w/AD-DI 95

ZX5 6i and ZX7 7i-PW - Modus 105

SM7 50-12, Vokey Forged 56-12K, SM6 58-12K @ 59

Ping MnBn MyDay

3 hours ago, Cactus Jack said:

I own I210s and was just fitted for Srixons. During my testing I hit both the ZX7s and 5s and ultimately chose the 5s. 

In my hands the I210s are a Goldilocks club, everything is just right. They don’t lead the pack in anyone category, but are above average in all. Compared to the 7s they were much more forgiving, produced more consistent ball speed, and my dispersion was much tighter. 

Feel is so subjective, and I’ll no doubt be roasted, but I think the Pings feel better than the 7s. Pure shot to pure shot, both clubs feel and sound fantastic. In my hands I might give the 7s the edge, but the Pings feel amazing. Once you factor in poor strikes the Pings consistently feel better. For example, a toe clank with the Pings feels bad, but the same shot with the 7s feels terrible. I’m not a pure ball striker so the consistent feel of the Pings is a win for me. 

Why did I end up purchasing the ZX5s? They combine the Goldilock features of the Pings with the best of the 7s. Great looks, feel, sound, consistent/predictable performance, more forgiving etc. If you like the Pings and the 7s, do yourself a favor and check out the 5s too.  

Good advice here. I played the Pings for almost two full seasons before jumping to 785s last fall before the zx7 release. After ~30 rounds I’m going back to the Pings. 

CJ couldn’t be more right on the feel/forgiveness factor with the Pings on poorly struck shots. The 210s are also built to be their own ‘combo’ set. Next to no offset and short blade length in scoring clubs and all the help a decent ball striker could want in the long irons.

For me, I vote for the Srixons for looks and cool factor and the Pings for playability and confidence.

Edited by Indygolfer85
  • Like 1

Ping G425 LST 9*
TEE EXS 220 15*
Ping G425 20.5*
Ping i210 4-PW, UW
Vokey SM8 54*/58*
TM Spider X
'21 Z Star XV

There's a huge difference in the size of the sole and cavity between the two irons. The 210's should feel better when you mishit them with a cavity that big. 

Edited by braincramp52
  • Like 2

Ping G410  10.5 Project X Evenflow 5.5

Ping G425 5 wood
Ping Anser 20* Hybrid

Srixon ZX5's  5-PW

Ping Glide 3.0  50*
Ping Glide
 54 & 58*ES

Bettinardi Queen B 6

Gonna say Srixon’s over the I210s purely because you will have a “newer” club with the Srixon as aren’t the I210 getting replaced soon or at least something newer of players iron from Ping. That regret of buying something “old” would just make me regret it. Lol. But maybe that is why I rather play used...because they are old anyways.

• Like 1

Just my opinion if course, but-If you can use the AWT 2.0,which is a Nippon shaft, combined with the Cushin insert option, the i210’s rival any forged club for feel except on pretty extreme mishits.  I haven’t tried the current iteration of Srixon irons but have used Srixon’s in the past.  The i210’s are more forgiving than the Srixons I had.  I do really like the Srixon soles though.

I've been playing the Z765s since they came out and am waiting for my on-order i210s to come in. I like my Z765 in Modus 125 but really wanted to try the Modus 120s (Brother has the Z765 in Modus 120 and I hit them better).

There are guys on here saying the i210 soles are too wide/ too bouncy... But then also saying the Z7s are better for their steep AOA! The v-soles are great, but not magical. 🤣 (Like I said, I've been playing them for 4+ years)

I went with the i210s because I feel the short irons in the i210s were better than the Zs. I'm better with the my 765 8/9 irons than I am with the wedge. Ping also offers a matching gap wedge with i210, while the ZX7 does not. If Srixon did better here, I would have went with them. Lastly, I was able to get a set of 4-G for quite a bit less than the ZX7s. If it doesn't work, I'll go back to the Z series or try out the T100s.

TSi3 9° Tensei White Prototype 2.0 TX
Epic Flash SZ 15° Kai'li x
Epic Flash 3H 19° Evenflow Black 6.5
i210 4-G Modus3 120x
Glide 3.0 54°/60° Modus3 120x
Spider X Chalk

I played i210's (5-AW)with a 410 4 iron for a good chunk of the last year+.  I just got my ZX7's and I have to say I am impressed and was in my fitting so much that I had sold my i210's.

While they are in different shafts (I haven't swapped the shafts from the i210's into the ZX7's yet I will give a few impressions from one round and some time on the range.

1. 7-PW the ZX7's absolutely are a better club for me.  They are just as forgiving, a touch longer and the spin numbers(ballflight and stopping on the green in round) have been more consistent.  I am playing these currently with AMT White shafts (which are not my shaft of choice.  They performed admirably with them, although my recoils will be going in hopefully this week.  I am steeper than most and spin the bell pretty high, so the Srixon's being a little lower spin than the i210's were a good fit.  The V-sole that I loved in the 745's is great through the turf.  Especially with wet dormant bermuda we currently have in Atlanta.

2.  I hit the 6 irons a few times on the range and a four times on course.  Results were good, good distance little lower spin, but lower launch than I like.  The i210 (Yes with recoils) launched higher.  I am happy with the 6 so far, and know it will improve with the recoils, which makes me super excited.

3. 5 iron.  I did not hit it on the range.  I hit it on the course twice.  The first was such a poor swing that nothing can be derived from the results.  I think this is the overall lower weight of the club vs. overall weight of my 5 iron with the i210's.  Swing weight I think is a (word not allowed) to try and match clubs.  Overall weight for me is and always has been a bigger issue.    The second shot with the 5 iron was pretty good, just a bit thin, but carried a little farther than I would have expected from a thinny shot.

The V-sole is many things.  However for most people they either love it or they hate it.  I know sweepers that love it and diggers that hate it, so swing type while more diggers will love it than hate it, is not the end all be all for who will get along with the sole.  I absolutely love it, especially in the winter with soggy wet Bermuda, and during the summer it has performed just as well as anything for me.  I played 745's in Scotland back in 2018 the week of the Open Championship at Carnoustie and had no issues off of that firm turf either.   

I will also say that this v sole so far is better than I remember when I tried the 765's.  I did not like the sole/head shape/ total package with them.  I never tried the 785's as I was in the i210 game at that point (with a stop over in the Sub 70 iron range) so I never tried them, but to say I am impressed with what I saw from the V-sole in yesterday's swampy turf would be the understatement of the century.

Edited by driveandputtmachine
  • Driver - Epic Max LS
  • 4 Wood - Company that shall not be named, turned down 1* and open on a UST Mamaiya Black
  • 7 Wood - Company that shall not be named, turned down 1* and open on a UST Mamaiya Black
  • Hybrid - Ping G400 17*
  • Irons = Srixon ZX4 4 iron on Recoil 110
  • Irons = Srixon ZX5 5 iron on Recoil 110
  • Irons - Srixon ZX7 (6-PW) on Recoil 110
  • Wedges - Cleveland 50* mid Zipcore, MD5 54*, 60* Mid Zipcore all on Recoil 110
  • Putters -  Sunset Beach Ocracoke or Mannkrafted MA/66
  • Ball - TP5 or Srixon Z Star