2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

PGA tour for cable cutters?

Bigjim1022

1 hour ago, forrester_fire said:

You can stream most events on Amazon Prime Video, for free, if you're a member.   You can also find free sports streaming sites online if you really don't want to pay for anything.

I cut the cord over 7 years ago, but I didn't watch a lot of live sports.

Interested in this as well.  For example, where would we have gone for yesterday’s Genesis final. Only thing I saw was CBS all access that required another subscription.  Or where would we look for next weeks PRO or the following weeks WGC as a Prime member?

I simply watched it OTA yesterday.  

Thanks for any help 

Driver TSR3 9* & 11* Ventus TR Blue 6x (10K - Testing)

Fairway TSr3 4W Ventus TR Red 7x

Fairway  TS 7W Ventus TR Blue 8x

Irons Ping i210’s with DG 120 x-100’s +1/2”

Wedges Glide Forged Pros 50*,54*,58* DG 120 s300 +1/2”

Putter Armlock💪🏼

Ball Vice Pro Plus

Appreciate this discussion. I have kids to put through college and really don't mind saving money. I never realized there are so many ways to watch golf. Sad to say it's really all I watch, outside the occasional show or series here and there with wife. I've noticed my kids rarely watch tv anymore,it's all youtube or video games for their entertainment. So basically if I can get Internet for fairly cheap I would be good. I live in the city and I've heard tv antenna reception is good. We already have Amazon, Netflicks and free Hulu through Sprint. It also probably wouldn't be a bad thing for me to stop wasting so much time watching golf channel! And let's be honest are we really watching it or is just on for background noise!🤣

Edited by nikeblades00
  • Like 1

46 minutes ago, Cliffy2020 said:

Interested in this as well.  For example, where would we have gone for yesterday’s Genesis final. Only thing I saw was CBS all access that required another subscription.  Or where would we look for next weeks PRO or the following weeks WGC as a Prime member?

I simply watched it OTA yesterday.  

Thanks for any help 

As you're scrolling through the Prime interface through the various categories, there's a section just for sporting events.  This weekend's WGC is airing on Prime both Saturday and Sunday.

image.png.0051fea39ffebe2c030695d232d15c99.png

Edited by forrester_fire
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Awesome. Thanks for the tip.  🍻

• Like 1

Driver TSR3 9* & 11* Ventus TR Blue 6x (10K - Testing)

Fairway TSr3 4W Ventus TR Red 7x

Fairway  TS 7W Ventus TR Blue 8x

Irons Ping i210’s with DG 120 x-100’s +1/2”

Wedges Glide Forged Pros 50*,54*,58* DG 120 s300 +1/2”

Putter Armlock💪🏼

Ball Vice Pro Plus

4 hours ago, bscinstnct said:

I definitely agree that an antenna and Prime is cool if you just want basic channels and a lot of good content. You pay for internet of course. I think we figured we could save like 70 bucks a month with YouTube (plus HBO) vs cable. Not peanuts and definitely may look into it harder to compare. 

Who does not already have internet?  BTW mine is 29.99 per month and streams w/o an issue...

3 hours ago, idontnoh said:

But $20-$40/ month is a new driver/fairway/hybrid/putter every year...

Mine is 29.99 for internet fast enough to stream and Prime is already paid for since we use it for purchases.  even if you throw that in its about $40 per month. As opposed to $120 for basic cable with internet.. With a ROKU there are lots of different free services..

Outside Antenna and OTA (over the air) DVR is a great option. I use Tablo TV and love it.    -- We don't watch anything in real time anymore and we don't watch commercials.  The OTA DVR is on my home network so I can stream it to any TV (Roku or Fire), SmartPhone, Tablet, Computer in the house and even when away from home.  I've been saving over $100/Month for over 3 years (I only had basic cable).  Cut the landline as well 3 years ago. Cell phones work fine in my house. 

For you guys considering OTA DVR and antenna, there is a link to a website that will help you.  Just enter in your address and it will tell you what free broadcast TV stations are available to you and the best direction and height for the antenna.  https://www.antennaweb.org/

As for golf I pretty much watch only the majors with any regularity and will occasionally watch NFL--- all on network TV via the outside Antenna.  I even connected the Antenna to the cable distribution panel in the basement so one antenna covers all the cable jacks in the house 🙂   I guess if I needed more golf I'd go with PGA Tour Live.

Edited by BlackDiamondPar5

31 minutes ago, dhacker56 said:

Who does not already have internet?  BTW mine is 29.99 per month and streams w/o an issue...

Mine is 29.99 for internet fast enough to stream and Prime is already paid for since we use it for purchases.  even if you throw that in its about $40 per month. As opposed to $120 for basic cable with internet.. With a ROKU there are lots of different free services..

Ya, antenna and Prime is a cool system you got there. 

The cable companies have the scale to make deals and bundle packages that include stuff people want (GC, ESPN, local sports/ie Yankees, political shows, and all the other stuff, History, Food, etc) and sell it.

It’s just a question of having it available and if it’s worth the money to you.

I wish it was all “a la carte” and you could just pick out and pay for what you want.

• Like 1

I mean by the time you do it all, I don't know how much it truly saves me.  I have Hulu Live and then my internet runs about $100 a month (300/100).  So I'd guess it depends on how much you pay for your internet and how fast you need your internet if its worth it.  Hulu has all the local channels so I get all the coverage as well as Golf Channel, Fox Sports, Fox Sports Midwest (for Cardinal games) and ESPN and the like, so I almost never run into being able to watch anything I want.  What I like the most about cutting the cord is that for $30 and a Roku stick I can get all my channels on every TV I own, nothing like working on clubs or practicing in the garage with the final round playing on the workout TV.  

• Like 1
TBD - G430 Max 15* - 818 H2 19*- Sub 70 Pro 23* - i525 6-U - SM9 54* / 58* / 62*  - F22

I 'cut the cord' a couple of years ago because my cable bill (including internet and phone) was getting into the $220 range.  Obviously, everyone has to look at their own situation to see if they'd ultimately save money or not.  We've saved.  One thing I really prefer about the streaming is the ability to cancel whenever you want.  We started with playstation vue, then switched to Hulu Live TV when vue went away, then switched to Youtube TV (YTTV) when Hulu started dropping local channels (though we do have an antenna for backup as needed).   Another thing I really like is the ability to stream live tv through the phone, so if I want to sit out on the patio while a golf match I'm interested is on, I simply access YTTV  on the phone.  Not sure if cable has that capability.  So overall, the streaming works fine for us, and YTTV has been working well.  You don't really learn different channels, as there are no channel numbers, but you can generally place your most-watched channels at the beginning of your guide for quick access.

• Like 1

The biggest savings is for people with multiple tvs/dvrs/whole house system or after they start raising the rates. If you have a basic cable package bundled with internet you probably start around the same for cable vs YTTV. However YTTV has barely raised their prices and when they did they added channels. If you are a whole house dvr type setup with cable you're probably in the 150-200 range before you add in internet. With YTTV you pay $65/month with one time fees for any streaming box you want for however many tvs you want. The product is also better and more flexible as others have mentioned.

Someone mentioned regional fox sports channels above and if I needed that I'd throw a buddy a few bucks for his cable login to stream on the fox apps and chromecast to a tv. I do agree with the other complaint, the guide isn't quite as good on some devices. If you use a fire tv with a remote you get pretty much the same guide as cable. Playstation like cable had a quick last channel shortcut I wish YTTV would implement, maybe one day.

Driver: Sim OG 8* (-2g), Diamana ZF 40x

3wood: Sim Ti Rocket 14*, SMT 3390 Tour V 50x

5wood: Sim Ti @18*, SMT 3390 Tour V 50x

4i-GW: Ke4 Max (-8g), SMT Bassara 65x +1"

SW: CBX2 52*, Rotex Precision 90g wedge flex

LW: Tour Grind MG 60*

P: 2013 Scotty Cameron Newport Black, Pistolero

Grips: Lamkin Crossline 58r

Ball: TP5X 2019

49 minutes ago, enfuego said:

The biggest savings is for people with multiple tvs/dvrs/whole house system or after they start raising the rates. If you have a basic cable package bundled with internet you probably start around the same for cable vs YTTV. However YTTV has barely raised their prices and when they did they added channels. If you are a whole house dvr type setup with cable you're probably in the 150-200 range before you add in internet. With YTTV you pay $65/month with one time fees for any streaming box you want for however many tvs you want. The product is also better and more flexible as others have mentioned.

Someone mentioned regional fox sports channels above and if I needed that I'd throw a buddy a few bucks for his cable login to stream on the fox apps and chromecast to a tv. I do agree with the other complaint, the guide isn't quite as good on some devices. If you use a fire tv with a remote you get pretty much the same guide as cable. Playstation like cable had a quick last channel shortcut I wish YTTV would implement, maybe one day.

I will say the Hulu Live guide is pretty good, plus you get Hulu without commercials, and (I think) a discounted Disney+ subscription.  I haven't had YTTV or Vue, but I cant' say enough good things about Hulu Live.

TBD - G430 Max 15* - 818 H2 19*- Sub 70 Pro 23* - i525 6-U - SM9 54* / 58* / 62*  - F22

15 minutes ago, J_Tizzle said:

I will say the Hulu Live guide is pretty good, plus you get Hulu without commercials, and (I think) a discounted Disney+ subscription.  I haven't had YTTV or Vue, but I cant' say enough good things about Hulu Live.

I've heard good things from friends that have Hulu live. There are a few differences that when PS Vue shut down caused me to go to YTTV as illustrated by their convenient graphic below. Mainly the dvr and 3 vs 2 streams at a time.

image.png.e757bf81ac20bf190b4fa96c78752ea1.png

• Like 1

Driver: Sim OG 8* (-2g), Diamana ZF 40x

3wood: Sim Ti Rocket 14*, SMT 3390 Tour V 50x

5wood: Sim Ti @18*, SMT 3390 Tour V 50x

4i-GW: Ke4 Max (-8g), SMT Bassara 65x +1"

SW: CBX2 52*, Rotex Precision 90g wedge flex

LW: Tour Grind MG 60*

P: 2013 Scotty Cameron Newport Black, Pistolero

Grips: Lamkin Crossline 58r

Ball: TP5X 2019

Wow I’m glad to see there are so many options, guess I’m not the only one who was curious about this.  As I mentioned antenna is lit for me, I assume the OTA is as well but I’ll look into it.  I had no idea Amazon Prime offered golf coverage, I’d watched a few Thursday nfl games on it but that’s all.  I’ll have to check that out too.  I have a bundles Disney+ subscription that came with Hulu and ESPN+.  VERY disappointed in ESPN+ but Hulu live might make sense. 

Thank you all for the discussion!

On 2/21/2021 at 11:51 PM, bscinstnct said:

YouTube tv is like 65 a month now.

Thats pretty much cable, no?

Nobody really leaves cable. This girl I know say she got no cable but pay like more money for all these streaming services. 

Stick with cable! Is great, you got all sports, pawn shop show, people living in Alaska, Emiril fried chicken commercial. Plus Harry Potter,Bourne Identity, and Hunger Games on like 24/7. 

You think you can beat the cable company?

The nice thing about YTTV is you can cancel and re-start very easily. Plus watch on multiple devices, etc.

I was worried about it costing me more due to no longer having the "double play" bundle with Verizon but I was actually able to increase my internet speed with them at a lower rate! Amazing. So nice to live in a spot that has both FiOS and Xfinity available, competition is good. 🙂

One problem with many of the streaming cable replacements is adding in Golf Channel almost always kicks you up to a higher tier and higher price. Of course that was also true on cable, for some reason it's never included with the other "sports" stuff like ESPN. It's a scam, I tell ya....

Edited by jdl

8 hours ago, Hateto3Putt said:

My Internet all in is $85. I am able to write that off as a business expense.

Even without using it for TV content, I (like most everyone) would still be paying this.

I own my router and modem.

Netflix is $19.

Prime I pay annually $125. (so lets say $11 monthly)

My Oooma phone is $5, that includes a landline with 2 numbers and all that other good phone stuff, call waiting, Caller ID, 3 way calling, 911 and other features I do not use.

Most of the other "apps" that are installed are free (Pluto, IMBD, Cinema HD, KODI, Youtube, Crackle, Smithsonian, Justwatch, bunch of local channel newsapps, Firefox, etc, etc. I was just scrolling through my loaded apps but got tired of typing....

My kids use my Netflix and Prime Logins, my Wife uses their Disney and Hulu.

The Hulu on our sets has commercials, so I'm out.

Couple all of the above with the 60 OTA channels. The Pluto and IMDB channels show up on the Recast channel guide, so for all intents and purposes, I have about 200 "surfable" channels with a cable-like guide.

Let's add that up.

Hardware costs:

Outdoor antenna installed in attic. $40

Amazon 2TB recast $170

Firesticks  5 X $30 = $150

Oooma (New on Ebay) $30

Router and Modem $200

TOTAL HARDWARE: $590

Monthly Services:

Internet $85

Netflix $19

Prime $11

Oooma $5

Monthly Nut: $120, that includes more stuff than any human could watch and includes "big" Internet which for me is a business expense. All content is delivered to 5 sets including the unused guest room and most of my mobile devices.

That was one thing that really ticked me off about cable, I had a main DVR, a slave DVR and then I needed a little tuner box on all TV's. I was also paying $13 monthly for a mediocre router. I think my equipment rental was like $60 a month when I finally looked.

Had the Comcast bill NOT been $5 higher every time I'd open it, I'd probably still be connected.

With the Internet providers being the same company as the cable providers I don't know how long prices will be "reasonable".

As reference, my first basic cable bill way back when was in the $8 range.

Happy The Simpsons GIF

Thanks this is very informative. I actually never considered purchasing my own modem and router. Wow that alone would save me a chunk.  

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Hateto3Putt said:

My Internet all in is $85. I am able to write that off as a business expense.

Even without using it for TV content, I (like most everyone) would still be paying this.

I own my router and modem.

Netflix is $19.

Prime I pay annually $125. (so lets say $11 monthly)

My Oooma phone is $5, that includes a landline with 2 numbers and all that other good phone stuff, call waiting, Caller ID, 3 way calling, 911 and other features I do not use.

Most of the other "apps" that are installed are free (Pluto, IMBD, Cinema HD, KODI, Youtube, Crackle, Smithsonian, Justwatch, bunch of local channel newsapps, Firefox, etc, etc. I was just scrolling through my loaded apps but got tired of typing....

My kids use my Netflix and Prime Logins, my Wife uses their Disney and Hulu.

The Hulu on our sets has commercials, so I'm out.

Couple all of the above with the 60 OTA channels. The Pluto and IMDB channels show up on the Recast channel guide, so for all intents and purposes, I have about 200 "surfable" channels with a cable-like guide.

Let's add that up.

Hardware costs:

Outdoor antenna installed in attic. $40

Amazon 2TB recast $170

Firesticks  5 X $30 = $150

Oooma (New on Ebay) $30

Router and Modem $200

TOTAL HARDWARE: $590

Monthly Services:

Internet $85

Netflix $19

Prime $11

Oooma $5

Monthly Nut: $120, that includes more stuff than any human could watch and includes "big" Internet which for me is a business expense. All content is delivered to 5 sets including the unused guest room and most of my mobile devices.

That was one thing that really ticked me off about cable, I had a main DVR, a slave DVR and then I needed a little tuner box on all TV's. I was also paying $13 monthly for a mediocre router. I think my equipment rental was like $60 a month when I finally looked.

Had the Comcast bill NOT been $5 higher every time I'd open it, I'd probably still be connected.

With the Internet providers being the same company as the cable providers I don't know how long prices will be "reasonable".

As reference, my first basic cable bill way back when was in the $8 range.

Happy The Simpsons GIF

Getting your own router and modem will save you tons over a year. Wish I could write off my internet as a business expense but that's a solid option for those that are able to.  

• Like 1

On 2/22/2021 at 7:56 AM, forrester_fire said:

You can stream most events on Amazon Prime Video, for free, if you're a member.   You can also find free sports streaming sites online if you really don't want to pay for anything.

I cut the cord over 7 years ago, but I didn't watch a lot of live sports.

I don't like what all the networks are doing with movement to their own services like Hulu, whatever CBS' online streaming is called, etc., but I can't help but think Amazon Prime Video will follow the same precedent Amazon did when it came to first books then everything else. They'll take the losses of providing content well below cost for years until the competition has no choice but to sell or goes out of business and then they'll be the only game in town. Amazon likely isn't doing it to be a competitive business, they're doing it so they can try to become the only business in as many arenas as possible.

2 hours ago, PedronNiall said:

I don't like what all the networks are doing with movement to their own services like Hulu, whatever CBS' online streaming is called, etc., but I can't help but think Amazon Prime Video will follow the same precedent Amazon did when it came to first books then everything else. They'll take the losses of providing content well below cost for years until the competition has no choice but to sell or goes out of business and then they'll be the only game in town. Amazon likely isn't doing it to be a competitive business, they're doing it so they can try to become the only business in as many arenas as possible.

We have Prime, Netflix, and Hulu which keep us entertained. Since we cut the cord so long ago, we have little interest in these network-specific services that are popping up because we never got into any of their series over the last 7+ years.