Bridgestone Tour BX vs Left Dash ProV1X

DiracDelta

Has anyone compared these two balls side by side? Too chilly in my area to experiment myself.

I have been playing the Tour BX for the last 2 years and have been relatively pleased, but anything that may fly high and spin less catches my attention. I spin every club quite a lot and at 112mph driver speed I think I might be quick enough to see some benefit by switching.

Hey I’ve played both. Full wedges for me spin too much with the tour  b x.  Left dash was a little less for sure. I almost had a few knuckles with the left dash with some clubs that didn’t launch correctly. Was strange. Great golf ball though. 

I’ve always been a tp5x guy and probably still will be. But both great balls 

• Like 3

Agree with @belh22. The left dash is very very comparable to the 2019 tp5x. Both will by quite lower than bxs on full wedge and short iron spin. The new 2021 tp5x seems to not be as low spin. Still lower than the tp5 but much closer. Both the 2019 tp5x and left dash are very firm feeling as well.

• Like 3

I’m going to echo what the others have said. BX spins quite a bit more with irons and wedges than LD and 2019 TP5x is more similar to the LD. I found the LD to be better in the wind than the 5x and comparable to the BX. I was really hoping that the 21 5x would keep the same low spin as the 19 and improve the aerodynamics, but that doesn’t seem to be the case. 21 5x is probably more similar to BX now. 

• Like 1

Stealth Plus+ 10.5* || Ventus Blue TR 7x

SIM2 Rescue 17* || Ventus Blue HB 8x

X-Forged UT 18* || MMT UT 105tx

TSi2 21* || Ventus Black HB 10tx

T100/620MB 5-9 || DG X7

SM9 47 || DG X7

SM9 51, 55, 59 || DG X1

BB8 Tri Wiz Cu Insert || BGT Stability Tour

Bettinardi BKS #1

Tour BX has been my ball for the last year.  I switched to the LD Prov1X a few moths ago and it works better for me.  It's similar in spin off the tee compared to the AVX, but launches a bit higher.  Definitely more spin off of short irons than the AVX, but not quite as much as the Tour BX.  I still get great check on partial shots and great spin with full wedges and short irons.  I really like the ball, but it can be hard to come by and expensive.  I tried a sleeve of the TP5x last year, but found that I had trouble spinning the ball around the green unless it was a tight and softish lie.  I'll probably go back to the Bridgestone if the LD becomes unavailable.  I bought 5 dozen, so it should last me until the back half of the season.

• Like 1

I have played LD for the last year. It is a great ball, probably the best I have played. This was confirmed when I decided to give BX a shot for the last month or so. Distance wise it was nearly identical from driver to wedge (for reference driver ss - 108). Bx had more spin around the greens and a touch softer feel. However, my biggest gripe about the BX is the cover. any wedge shot 40 - 130 yards would rip the cover to smithereens. I would be pulling urethane from the cover that had chipped/exposed to provide a smooth surface for my putts. LD cover is far more durable and still provides great feel. I will be keeping the LD in play for foreseeable future. 

• Like 1

Killing me. The B X has gotten roughed up pretty easy. Like

to try the LD if it is anything close to the B X. 

• Like 1

Mizuno ST-Z 230 9.5 Diamana T+ 60s
Mizuno ST-Z 15* Diamana T+ 60s 

TM Sim2 Max 19 Hybrid Ventus 7-S

Mizuno Pro 225 4-GW DG 105 S300
Mizuno T24 Denim 54S/58V DG S400

L.A.B. DF 2.1 Broomstick

17 minutes ago, OspreyCI said:

Killing me. The B X has gotten roughed up pretty easy. Like

to try the LD if it is anything close to the B X. 

The BX is going to spin a lot more than the left dash, there actually isn't a lot of spin difference between the BX and BXS. Both pretty spinny.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, B.Easy said:

Tour BX has been my ball for the last year.  I switched to the LD Prov1X a few moths ago and it works better for me.  It's similar in spin off the tee compared to the AVX, but launches a bit higher.  Definitely more spin off of short irons than the AVX, but not quite as much as the Tour BX.  I still get great check on partial shots and great spin with full wedges and short irons.  I really like the ball, but it can be hard to come by and expensive.  I tried a sleeve of the TP5x last year, but found that I had trouble spinning the ball around the green unless it was a tight and softish lie.  I'll probably go back to the Bridgestone if the LD becomes unavailable.  I bought 5 dozen, so it should last me until the back half of the season.

You should be able to order LD in the 4 for 3 deal. I see you're in Washington, Pro Golf Discount stocks the LD now as well.

• Like 1

TSR3 9° Tensei Black 65X
TSi2 15° ATX Green 75TX
917F 18° ATX Green 85X
ZX5 MkII 4-5 / ZX7 MkII 6-P  Modus 120X
ZipCore 50° Modus 120X

Vokey SM9 54S/60M Modus 125 Wedge
Nike Neo

ZStar

In terms of spin, the BX ball isn't really at either extreme amongst the firmer X type balls available. It spins less on irons and wedges than things like ProV1X, XV, and Chrome Soft X but more than balls like Left Dash and TP5X. In terms of firmness, it also sits near the mean amongst other X type balls. "Well balanced" is the phrase that first comes to mind when trying to describe the BX to those that haven't tested it for themselves.

• Like 3

OEM Certified Master Fitter

"Never forget that the luxury of being
wrong is not enough to make you right."
WITB Link

I’ve played both balls and I have to say the Pro V1x LD is my first choice. Much of my experience has been like the others who have responded. I played the TP5x for 2 years but found I didn’t like the changes to the 2019 version.

If I had to rate them it would be:

1-ProV1 LD

2-TP5x

3-BX

Edited by Sparty4202
  • Driver - Ping G400 10.5 Graphite Design VR 5 R1
  • Wood - Taylormade Sim TI 5 wood 19* (17.5) Diamana 65R
  • Wood - Callaway Epic Speed 7 wood 21* HZRDUS 60-5.5
  • Hybrid - Ping G430 22* R 
  • Hybrid - Ping G425 26* @ 25* R
  • Irons - New Level 902 PD 6-PW & AW Elevate MPH 95 R 
  • Wedge - Ping Glide 2.0 50* AWT 
  • Wedge - Callaway  MD3 Milled 56/10 TT Elevate MPH 95 R
  • Putter - Odyssey White Hot OG #7 Bird 34” 
  • Ball - Maxfli Tour 

2 hours ago, bcflyguy1 said:

In terms of spin, the BX ball isn't really at either extreme amongst the firmer X type balls available. It spins less on irons and wedges than things like ProV1X, XV, and Chrome Soft X but more than balls like Left Dash and TP5X. In terms of firmness, it also sits near the mean amongst other X type balls. "Well balanced" is the phrase that first comes to mind when trying to describe the BX to those that haven't tested it for themselves.

Yes I would build on this, I think the BX has really good balance of lower spin on the driver, but higher spin on the irons. It goes forever but I'm not hitting flyers every other mid iron. With the AVX or TP5X I was hitting some serious moon balls on like 6-8 irons because the spin was so low. Need to give the caveat I had my irons built with a lower launch/higher spin profile to get more control, so I'm always trying to strike the balance balance of a ball that works for both the irons and driver. 

Edited by gators78

I played the BX most of last year.  Really like it for nearly everything with one exception and that is spin on full shots inside of 130 or so.  Every now and then I will zip it back something crazy like 20+ feet.  Anyone else experience this with the BX?

The frustrating thing is it's random so there have been times when I've tried to play for it and nada - I'm 15 feet past the hole.  I have a dozen left dashes and plan to try them early this season although I do like the BX feel better off putter and for chipping.  

Edited by Corey Pavins Moustache
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Corey Pavins Moustache said:

I played the BX most of last year.  Really like it for nearly everything with one exception and that is spin on full shots inside of 130 or so.  Every now and then I will zip it back something crazy like 20+ feet.  Anyone else experience this with the BX?

The frustrating thing is it's random so there have been times when I've tried to play for it and nada - I'm 15 feet past the hole.  I have a dozen left dashes and plan to try them early this season although I do like the BX feel better off putter and for chipping.  

Had the same issue and I played and loved the previous iteration of the BX. Went with the left dash for now. Harder feel off the putter and around the greens. Otherwise it reminds me of the 2018 BX

For me, BX and LD are about the same length off the driver.

Mid irons BX has a bit more spin, enough to make it more predictable than LD.

With short irons, BX has more spin and a much softer feel. For me, the LD can produce the occasional flyer and be tough to hold firm greens.

Around the green, it's no contest - the BX has the most control of all the tour balls I've tested and played.

For my game, the BX reacts perfectly with every club in the bag... in short, the best ball I've played to date.

Edited by G-Bone
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

PING G430 Max 10K Driver 8º ~ GD Tour AD-IZ 5

PING G430 Max 3 Wood 14º ~ GD Tour AD-IZ 6

Titleist TSr2 5 Wood 18º ~ GD Tour AD-IZ 7

Titleist TSr2 7 Wood 21º ~ GD Tour AD-XC 8

Srixon ZX4 Mk II Irons 5–7 ~ Project X IO 6.0

Srixon ZX5 Mk II Irons 8–P ~ Project X IO 6.0

Vokey Design SM9 Raw Wedges 'Voke' Handground 50.12F • 56.08M • 62.08M ~ Project X 6.0
Odyssey  Tri-Hot 5K Three ~ BGT Stability Tour 2 Polar
Titleist Pro V1x ~ #12

• 1 year later...

Bumping this as I am planning on switching out of the standard ProV1x this year.  Ping Balnamic fit me into either LD or Tour BX as the top two choices.  Ideally, I'd like to get my iron carry distance figured out before the season starts, but I'm having a hard time choosing which ball will be better for me while the ground is so soft.  It is impossible to evaluate stopping power for irons and short game when the greens are so soft.  A range ball will hop and stop on the soft spring greens in my area.  We really won't see firm greens until the end of spring and what I don't want to do is settle on a ball and get comfortable with the trajectory and carry distances only to find out that it doesn't perform on summer greens the way that I like.  

I'm leaning towards the LD right now.  I much prefer a firmer ball and I'm not a super fast swinger (105-110 driver), so I could use a bit of launch on my long irons, 19* hybrid and 16.5* FW.  That sounds like LD to me.  That said, I do hit driver quite high as I hit up on the ball quite a bit (~6* up) so I don't need a ton of height off of the driver and I love to play lower launching pitch shots with plenty of spin that hop and stop, which sounds more like the BX to me.  I love the standard V1x for short game shots, and distance control / flier prevention.  I am looking for improvement in driver distance, wind performance and reduced spin on full wedge shots.  I play a Donald Ross course where pretty much all greens slope back to front.  Many greens have false fronts that will leave you with a 40yd pitch shot from the bottom of a hill if you wind up on the false front.  Often times my full wedges will spin enough that a shot well past a front pin will rip back off the front of the green.  Likewise, many back pins are tough for me to get to with a wedge as the ball will rip back down the slope to the middle/front.  My questions for anyone who can compare the two are as follows:

1. What type of a ballflight should I expect from LD and BX compared to V1x off of the driver?  I'm fine if the launch is similar as long as it is spins a bit less and is less floaty than the V1x.
  2. How does the stopping power of the LD and BX compare to V1x on mid/long irons?  Our greens only get to about medium firm.  They never get hard.  
  3. How is the short game performance of the LD and BX vs V1x?  I'm specifically asking about low checking pitch shots.  I'd like to see the ball hit and then check within 5 feet on medium firm greens.
  4. How is the spin off of full wedges for the LD and BX?  I'm looking for something that will sit where it lands and not rip back.
  5. Wind performance for both?

Thanks!

Edited by kintap

Callaway Paradym 9* w/ Mitsubishi Kai'li White 60S

Callaway Paradym 16.5* w/ Mitsubishi Kai'li White 70S

Titleist 915F 21* w/ Aldila Rogue Black 85S

Ping G410 Hybrid 19* w/ Aldila Rogue Black 85S

Srixon z785 5-P w/ Project X LZ 6.0

Cleveland RTX4 50*, 54*, 58* w/ DG Tour Issue S400

Scotty Cameron Golo S5

Bridgestone Tour BX