Any Autoflex Users In The Building?

I've been using the Autoflex (SF505X) with some degree of success - but I'm wondering if I can still squeeze some juice out of it.

Currently using it with a Ping G425Max and curious to see if anyone has information about how other heads have performed with other heads as some people in my club have mentioned that the G425 heads SPECIFICALLY do not go well with the AF shaft.

Has anyone gone from Ping heads to another head with the AF shafts?

2 hours ago, SLC524 said:

I've been using the Autoflex (SF505X) with some degree of success - but I'm wondering if I can still squeeze some juice out of it.

Currently using it with a Ping G425Max and curious to see if anyone has information about how other heads have performed with other heads as some people in my club have mentioned that the G425 heads SPECIFICALLY do not go well with the AF shaft.

Has anyone gone from Ping heads to another head with the AF shafts?

I've tested about 6 different heads so far. For me the best was the Sim2 Max with stock weight swapped out to get the headweight down around 190. 

The RadSpeed was tied for second with the Epic Max LS. 

People have had a lot of success with the tsi3 also. Tsi3 is one I haven't gotten to, however it's on the list after I sell off a few. 

Can I ask what the headweight is like currently in your G425? You may be able to tinker with it a bit more and squeeze out that extra juice.

9 hours ago, M44km44k said:

I've tested about 6 different heads so far. For me the best was the Sim2 Max with stock weight swapped out to get the headweight down around 190. 

People have had a lot of success with the tsi3 also. Tsi3 is one I haven't gotten to, however it's on the list after I sell off a few. 

Can I ask what the headweight is like currently in your G425? You may be able to tinker with it a bit more and squeeze out that extra juice.

Hi. Thanks for the info.

My current head weight is 203g (206 originally and i changed the weight). Haven't gotten around to any other heads as I've been a Ping user for my past 3 drivers.

May I ask why you moved it to 190? When I changed mine to 203g, the shop said it is now at D1.5 swing weight - which is what AF suggested right? Won't 190g be too light?

Or you found your 190 to be D1.5?

9 hours ago, M44km44k said:

Have you tested it with the Ping G425Max? If so, may I ask what the results were?

9 minutes ago, SLC524 said:

Hi. Thanks for the info.

My current head weight is 203g (206 originally and i changed the weight). Haven't gotten around to any other heads as I've been a Ping user for my past 3 drivers.

May I ask why you moved it to 190? When I changed mine to 203g, the shop said it is now at D1.5 swing weight - which is what AF suggested right? Won't 190g be too light?

Ping heads are 10-12g heavier than most other brand heads. They use counter balanced shafts to lower the swing weight. Head weight is more important with Autoflex. The head should be around 190-194g. Some people will need it to be lower. After getting the head in this weight range, the swing weight should be D0-2 to start. Autoflex is not counterbalanced so a 203g head would have a very high swing weight.

5 minutes ago, rlb4 said:

Ping heads are 10-12g heavier than most other brand heads. They use counter balanced shafts to lower the swing weight. Head weight is more important with Autoflex. The head should be around 190-194g. Some people will need it to be lower. After getting the head in this weight range, the swing weight should be D0-2 to start. Autoflex is not counterbalanced so a 203g head would have a very high swing weight.

The 190 to 194g, is that including the adaptor?

1 hour ago, rlb4 said:

Thanks for the information. My G425/Autoflex is now at D1.5 (at least that's what the store said - when they used their scale with the slide rule).

By moving to a lighter head - won't this change the SW? I was told that AF should be at D1 to D1.5

Interested in trying out the Sim 2 Max head - as one poster here who has tried several heads found it to be the best combination he's tried.

1 hour ago, rlb4 said:

apparently, the sim2 max driver head is also 203 grams.

1 hour ago, dlow206 said:

The 190 to 194g, is that including the adaptor?

My apologies. I incorrectly stated that the head weights were WITH the adapter. The head weights should be WITHOUT adapter. So most heads weigh around 192-195g without adapter. Sim 2 Max is about 194g without adapter. Most adapters will weight 7-10ish grams.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, rlb4 said:

My apologies. I incorrectly stated that the head weights were WITH the adapter. The head weights should be WITHOUT adapter. So most heads weigh around 192-195g without adapter. Sim 2 Max is about 194g without adapter. Most adapters will weight 7-10ish grams.

Thanks. So the sim2max should fit in nicely into that 190-195gram window yes?

22 minutes ago, SLC524 said:

Thanks for the information. My G425/Autoflex is now at D1.5 (at least that's what the store said - when they used their scale with the slide rule).

By moving to a lighter head - won't this change the SW? I was told that AF should be at D1 to D1.5

Interested in trying out the Sim 2 Max head - as one poster here who has tried several heads found it to be the best combination he's tried.

What is your Autoflex shaft length? So you have in the stock 26g weight in the head? Do you have an oversized or heavier grip?

Just now, SLC524 said:

Length is 46inches (did not reduce length when i got it).

Weight in the head is 23g (from 26g originally).

Grip I use is midsized golf pride with two tapes inside.

I'm certainly not an expert on swing weight so maybe someone else can comment if those #'s fit. The 3g head weight is about 1.5 swing weight pts(every 2g head weight is 1 sw). The heaver midsized grip with extra wrap will also lower sw. 1/2" of shaft length is about 3 sw pts. There is a pretty good swing weight calculator online.  http://www.leaderboard.com/SWINGWT.HTM

Just now, rlb4 said:

I'm certainly not an expert on swing weight so maybe someone else can comment if those #'s fit. The 3g head weight is about 1.5 swing weight pts(every 2g head weight is 1 sw). The heaver midsized grip with extra wrap will also lower sw. 1/2" of shaft length is about 3 sw pts. There is a pretty good swing weight calculator online.  http://www.leaderboard.com/SWINGWT.HTM

Thanks will check it out! Thanks for all the inputs. Very insightful.

Just now, SLC524 said:

Thanks will check it out! Thanks for all the inputs. Very insightful.

I'm no expert but the most important thing I've learned reading about Autoflex is there is no 1 combination of settings for everyone. There is a lot of trial and error as what works for one may not work for another. Start with a head weight of 192-194g(without adapter) and a swing weight of D0-D2. Try it on a launch monitor and see how you do. Then try different shaft lengths(choke down) and lower head weights(in 2g intervals). You can use that sw calculator to get an estimate of your sw as you make your changes. Some people do better with low to mid 180g head weights and mid to upper C swing weights. Also, a good # of people have done better with a shorter shaft. Try 45-45.5". There is an excellent Facebook page for AF users. Keep us posted.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, rlb4 said:

I'm no expert but the most important thing I've learned reading about Autoflex is there is no 1 combination of settings for everyone. There is a lot of trial and error as what works for one may not work for another. Start with a head weight of 192-194g(without adapter) and a swing weight of D0-D2. Try it on a launch monitor and see how you do. Then try different shaft lengths(choke down) and lower head weights(in 2g intervals). You can use that sw calculator to get an estimate of your sw as you make your changes. Some people do better with low to mid 180g head weights and mid to upper C swing weights. Also, a good # of people have done better with a shorter shaft. Try 45-45.5". There is an excellent Facebook page for AF users. Keep us posted.

Thanks. Joined the group already and started the inquiry. Thanks for the assistance. Appreciate it.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, SLC524 said:

Hi. Thanks for the info.

Weight is w/out adapter. I use a jumbomax wrap that is nearly 100g. Tricks the swing weight scale too much for me to even measure anymore. 

13 hours ago, SLC524 said:

Have you tested it with the Ping G425Max? If so, may I ask what the results were?

I have not tested g425 yet. But it is next after the tsi3. There has been at least a couple of guys that are gaming it though with great success. I'll look back through my messages and can point you to one of them. Maybe they can answer some questions.

11 hours ago, SLC524 said:

Length is 46inches (did not reduce length when i got it).

Weight in the head is 23g (from 26g originally).

Grip I use is midsized golf pride with two tapes inside.

@rlb4 is right. People are having success with many different combinations. I personally fought with the full length autoflex shaft for far too long, wasting a lot of testing time. 

In the end there were two adjustments I made that changed the game for me. The first was cutting down the shaft to play more normal length (45" playing length). The second was moving up to the 505x from the 505. 

This shaft does not need to play 46+ to have massive distance gains, and if you have an aggressive transition bumping up a flex can keep you from needing to change your whole swing to load it correctly. 

• 2 months later...

I have an SF505 and it’s the only shaft on the planet that I’ve been able to high a high bombing draw with.  I love that thing but sometimes it a high draw, sometimes it’s a straight stinger, sometimes it a fade and that is because my swing and tempo is inconsistent. For recreational rounds, I love everything about the 7 mph ball speed gains and the 15 yards of carry gains but for tournament play I’m not consistent enough to keep the shot shape the same and I get into trouble so I listed it on WRX for anyone who is interested. Naturally I’m taking a big loss but I can’t have one of the most expensive shaft on the market on a rotating schedule in my bag so I’m willing to cut my losses here. 

Hope the feedback helps and if your interested in the shaft check out my listing and send me a text at 416-434-7285. 

• 1 month later...

I am so intrigued by these Autoflex shafts, but the cost makes trial and error very expensive.

To minimize frustration, I am trying to narrow some factors down before ordering.

Recent history:
I was recently fitted with a Ping G425 Max 12 degree driver with the stock length Tensei Orange AV 65 regular flex shaft.

Interestingly, I have it set to the fade bias, yet my shots are pretty straight. The neutral and draw settings really brought the left side of the fairway into play.

It may seem ridiculous to be looking for improvement as I am hitting this club extremely well.

In my fitting, it was clear that I hit the 12 degree better than the 10.5; and the reg flex Tensei Orange was better than other TO flexes or other Ping shafts.

My swingspeed is about 90-95 mph and I am 61 years old.

Questions:
Which model should I consider (405 vs 505)?

I have heard the AF shaft works best with lighter and/or lower-lofted driver heads. Is this true? 

If lighter is required, can I just change the Ping head weights?

If lower loft is required, should I consider a 10.5 Max or 10.5 LST? 

I would like to stay with the Ping 425 club heads.....

Any all suggestions/observations welcome.

Driver: Ping G425 Max 12 deg w/MR Tensei Orange R
Woods: Ping G425 5w & 7w w/MR Tensei Orange R
Hybrid: Ping G410 26 deg w/MR Diamana Blueboard R
Irons: Ping i230 5-U w/Nippon Modulus3 105S
Wedges: Ping Eye 2 Gorge SW w/DG Spinner/Cleveland 588 Tour Issue 64 deg w/DG S400
Putter: Bettinardi Queen B #10
Ball: Titleist ProV1x (2021) 

• 3 months later...

Checking in here...

Got the 505 as I have a 100mph swing speed with a relatively smooth tempo. 5 handicap. Tried it in my GBB Epic sub zero at the range and it was a disaster. Low hooks. Changed the weights which made a difference, but I bought a Mavrik sub zero head and some additional weights to play around with and that really unlocked something for me.

Swing speed is up to circa 103mph, occasionally over 105mph. Ball flight is low - typically under 95ft (I like that visually) and spin is also generally mid 2000s. I'm playing the 9 degree with +2 loft and nothing is missing to the left (I'm left handed). It's taken one side of the course totally out of play for me, with a predictable soft draw. Smash factor typically around 1.47. I've not had a problem getting good strikes on it.

Was on Trackman indoors yesterday and got over 280 yards total which for me is a lot and a distance I've not seen for a long time. But more important is the predictability. Nothing is missing left.

I've now got a Epic Max LS to play about with as well to see if that gives me anything more but overall very pleased with it.

• 1 month later...

Not sure the swing weight but I am using an Epic Max LS head set to 8 degrees. 45 1/2" SF 505 shaft. I am hitting about a club and half less downwind and 2 clubs less into wind than my former driver Epic Star Flash with Attas shaft (yes I am really old). No idea about the tech or the confounding variables of different heads and the Auto Flex but it is statistically significantly longer and I still hit it straight. 

• 2 months later...

Just wanted to report my results. My driver SS is in the 90-95 range and I went with the SF-505 Autoflex in my Titleist TSi2 driver. I swapped in a lighter weight (5g versus the stock 9g) for about a D1 swing weight. It has a playing length of 45".

Total game changer for me. I'm hitting it longer and straighter than I ever have before. Easily hitting 1.5 - 2 clubs less into greens and doing it from the fairway is really nice too :). I love this shaft.

I did have to go to the flat setting (B1) to keep from drawing it too much. Experimented with bringing the loft down too but I'm more consistent hitting high draws at the stock 9* loft. I just start it up the right side and it turns over nicely into the fairway.

Driver - Titleist TSi2 9* (A1) Autoflex SF505                   Frankenstein Irons:

3W - Ping G430 Tour 2.0 Chrome 75 (S)                         4i - PING i210

19* Hyb - Ping G430 Tour 2.0 Chrome 85 (S).                5i - Cobra King Tour (MIM)

Irons - 4-PW Maltby TS1 Nippon 950GH Stiff                 6i - Titleist T100

GW - Vokey SM8 50* F-grind                                           7i - Mizuno MP20 MMC

SW - Vokey SM8 54* D-grind (bent to 55)                      8i - Callaway X-Forged

LW - Vokey SM8 60* M-grind                                           9i - TaylorMade P7MC 

Putter - SeeMore PCB with LAGP SoHo                          PW - Srixon ZX-7

GW - Wilson Staff CB

• 4 weeks later...

Playing a sf505X  @46.25 in a Callaway Rogue TD T 8* and a sw of D2… Still working through the break in period. I’ve hit some great drives and when I just swing and not pull from the top..Perfection. It’s a work in progress, but I do see the Benefits long term. Swing speed is down 105 at 65 years young and I was looking for a little help. Is it longer than what I was playing? Yes, but just not as consistent which is a result of some old swing flaws. 

Ping g430 10K w/ Ventus Red 6-S

TaylorMade iq10 5 Wood w/ TD-70-S

Taylormade Stage 2 Tour hybrid w/Fujikura Speeder HB-S

PXG 0317t w/steelfiber i95-S 5-PW

SM8. 52* & 58* TM High Toe

Lab Mezz...46”

Jones Players Bag
Taylormade TP5X

• 1 month later...

Just got a 505 on a rogue st max 9 degree with 55g grip. I don’t have access to a club scale but read the rogue was d3 so I took the 4g insert out. I’m slicing like no tomorrow. I still need to take it to the range to get used to it. Was playing an epic speed 9 with evenflo stiff 50g. Does anyone else have it with a rogue st? Just want to get your thoughts.