Jump to content

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, limegreengent said:

" Set the Cat amongst the Pigeons😂😁

 

Terpfangolfer / Imp

Please read my remarks again together with 17.1e(2) - 

First Bullet point.

 I never said free relief.

 I said Mandatory relief under penalty.

I believe Everyone who has been following this thread realises that Free Relief is not available.🤗🤗

 

Sawgrass 

I take your point and agree that

'Stance alone" is not the "sole' determining factor and did not intend as such.

Any interference to a stroke by a NPZ would be relevant.

 

As part of the focus of the question was concerned with stance  - I was only illustrating that this type of interference automatically made the  the ball  '" position a wrong place''

 

"A place from where a stroke is not allowed ."

 

Pretend the Bush was not there.   It would still be a place where a stroke is not allowed.

 

Of course the practicality of playing the stroke ( by the presence of the Bush ) raises the additional questions fundamental to free relief or not.

 

My view is unaltered.

Whether there is a serious Breach would depend on facts unknown to us

A Comparison of where the stroke was played after incorrectly taking relief ( wrong place) and where the player was allowed to drop to satisfy 17.1d ( right place)🤔

 

 

 

In my view the bush prevents free relief, yet is a “right place” irrespective of stance. If you’re up against an ob fence, that doesn’t preclude your being in a right place — same with being near a NPZ. Anyway, one could always shorten the distance one chooses to stand from the ball, play in a different direction, or swing opposite-handed to avoid the NPZ. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

What should the score have been is really an irrelevant question, the result is DQ. But I don't put it past the MGA to be asking that type of misleading question!  

My accounting is like this: a. One stroke into PA b. There is no relief from the NPZ (17.1e(2)) c. Player has then played from a wrong place and it is serious breach (ball was impossibl

If the player had decided his actions constituted a serious breach and was correcting that serious breach, he would be dq'd for not reporting that to the Committee, as per 14.7b(2).

1 hour ago, rogolf said:

Imo, any conclusion that there is a serious breach in this situation only leads to one answer - D, disqualification.

A serious breach would not be part of A, B or C, since he failed to notify the Committee.


And that's where I was leaning, but ... how will the committee know if it was a serious breach, if the player didn't mention anything, and the question mentions nothing of the FCs/marker saying anything either (lot's of "what ifs" that go unanswered in 22)?

I'm relying on 20.1.C, in that the player didn't discuss with FCs what he was doing (not mentioned in the question at least), being 'sure of themselves', and in not doing so, I believe would constitute a serious breach there. While the player "thought it was easy" they proceeded wrongly... Discussing with FCs should/could have been done in the least and if there was indecision on the rules between the player and FCs in the correct spot to play the ball, the player would have been covered playing 2 balls from the different spots in the least, and then gone to committee. Not doing any of that, should be a DQ.

 

Callaway Fusion 9* / Callaway Rogue 3W / Mizuno JPX-EZ Forged Irons / Vokey SM8 50*, 56*, Callaway, 64*, Balls by Snell.

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Imp said:


And that's where I was leaning, but ... how will the committee know if it was a serious breach, if the player didn't mention anything, and the question mentions nothing of the FCs/marker saying anything either (lot's of "what ifs" that go unanswered in 22)?

I'm relying on 20.1.C, in that the player didn't discuss with FCs what he was doing (not mentioned in the question at least), being 'sure of themselves', and in not doing so, I believe would constitute a serious breach there. While the player "thought it was easy" they proceeded wrongly... Discussing with FCs should/could have been done in the least and if there was indecision on the rules between the player and FCs in the correct spot to play the ball, the player would have been covered playing 2 balls from the different spots in the least, and then gone to committee. Not doing any of that, should be a DQ.

 

Read 14.7b(2) and note the second bullet.

Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, Sawgrass said:

In my view the bush prevents free relief, yet is a “right place” irrespective of stance. If you’re up against an ob fence, that doesn’t preclude your being in a right place — same with being near a NPZ. Anyway, one could always shorten the distance one chooses to stand from the ball, play in a different direction, or swing opposite-handed to avoid the NPZ. 

Thank you Sawgrass

I welcome your contrary viewpoint- It's good to test the old grey cells in this Lockdown period. 😁 

 

Let me try to state my understanding of the context of Wrong v Right  Place in this scenario and how it impacts on your scenarios above.

Establishing the applicable rule is vital in coming to your decision as well as where a stroke is made.

 

Your OB Fence.

 Applicable Rule 

9.1

Consequently if you move or lift it when not permitted then it must be replaced.

The original spot is the right place in this example.

Any other spot where a stroke is" MADE' is the wrong place.

The reason 

'" Because this rule 9.1 does not require or allow the player to play from another spot.

(Applicable rule)

 

Now before moving to our scenario let's look at a comparable situation -easier to follow.

 

Wrong Green.

Ball laying on green.

Applicable Rule 13.1f

This rule prohibits play of the ball and the ball MUST be played from a spot permitted by the rules.

The Applicable Rule.

 

Consequently any other spot where a stroke is MADE is a wrong place including the spot on the green.

The reason because 13.1f Is the Applicable Rule and spot cannot be on the green.

 

Now apply these principles to the scenario under discussion.

 

NPZ/ Penalty Area.

The Applicable Rule is 17.1d 

( First bullet point of 17.1e(2).

 

The application of this rule in these circumstances requires that the ball shall be played outside of this penalty area under any of the options applicable.

 

All of these spots are Right Places if a stroke is made from them. All other spots are Wrong Places if a stroke is made from them including any spots inside the Penalty Area including the Original spot in the Bush.

 

Thereto - When Comparing 

Wrong Place and Right Place You use as the Wrong Place any spot in the Penalty Area where a stroke is made and the Right Place is any of your permitted options.

The Bush in the Penalty Area is not a Right Place and cannot be used as such for Serious Breach Considerations when 17.1d is the Applicable Rule.

 

This is my viewpoint.

😀😁😂

 

 

 

 

Edited by limegreengent
Link to post
Share on other sites
49 minutes ago, kjelllkri said:

I count 9 strokes
==================

1 TS from the tee

1 PS R17.1 - The applicable rule for the drop from the NPZ is R17.1

2 PS He should have dropped outside the PA. Wrong place. Not serious.

1 TS to OOB

1 PS R17.2b

1 TSs to green
2 putts
 

 

You forgot one. 🙂

Swing DNA: 91/4/3/6/6
D & 3W: ST 180 / 21º, MP-H5 / 4-PW: MP-4 / 50º: MP-T5 / 55º: FG Tour PMP  / 60º: Hi-Toe / Mizuno Bettinardi BC-4

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, limegreengent said:

Thank you Sawgrass

I welcome your contrary viewpoint- It's good to test the old grey cells in this Lockdown period. 😁 

 

Let me try to state my understanding of the context of Wrong v Right  Place in this scenario and how it impacts on your scenarios above.

Establishing the applicable rule is vital in coming to your decision as well as where a stroke is made.

 

Your OB Fence.

 Applicable Rule 

9.1

Consequently if you move or lift it when not permitted then it must be replaced.

The original spot is the right place in this example.

Any other spot where a stroke is" MADE' is the wrong place.

The reason 

'" Because this rule 9.1 does not require or allow the player to play from another spot.

(Applicable rule)

 

Now before moving to our scenario let's look at a comparable situation -easier to follow.

 

Wrong Green.

Ball laying on green.

Applicable Rule 13.1f

This rule prohibits play of the ball and the ball MUST be played from a spot permitted by the rules.

The Applicable Rule.

 

Consequently any other spot where a stroke is MADE is a wrong place including the spot on the green.

The reason because 13.1f Is the Applicable Rule and spot cannot be on the green.

 

Now apply these principles to the scenario under discussion.

 

NPZ/ Penalty Area.

The Applicable Rule is 17.1d 

( First bullet point of 17.1e(2).

 

The application of this rule in these circumstances requires that the ball shall be played outside of this penalty area under any of the options applicable.

 

All of these spots are Right Places if a stroke is made from them. All other spots are Wrong Places if a stroke is made from them including any spots inside the Penalty Area including the Original spot in the Bush.

 

Thereto - When Comparing 

Wrong Place and Right Place You use as the Wrong Place any spot in the Penalty Area where a stroke is made and the Right Place is any of your permitted options.

The Bush in the Penalty Area is not a Right Place and cannot be used as such for Serious Breach Considerations when 17.1d is the Applicable Rule.

 

This is my viewpoint.

😀😁😂

 

 

 

 

In the subject case, the ball is only prohibited from being played if you take a particular stance. If you take a different stance, the ball may be played.  It is valid to attempt a stroke from the opposite side, for instance.

 

My view therefore remains that the comparison between the original valid location in the bush and the illegal location (in the PA further back after the drop) yields a significant breach.

 

But perhaps you already understood my above point and reject it. If so, I wonder if you would ding me for hitting from a wrong place if I did make that opposite side stroke . . .

 

Edit: BTW, I don’t believe I could find a more agreeable fellow with whom I could disagree. 

Edited by Sawgrass
Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, Sawgrass said:

In the subject case, the ball is only prohibited from being played if you take a particular stance. If you take a different stance, the ball may be played.  It is valid to attempt a stroke from the opposite side, for instance.

 

My view therefore remains that the comparison between the original valid location in the bush and the illegal location (in the PA further back after the drop) yields a significant breach.

 

But perhaps you already understood my above point and reject it. If so, I wonder if you would ding me for hitting from a wrong place if I did make that opposite side stroke . . .

 

Edit: BTW, I don’t believe I could find a more agreeable fellow with whom I could disagree. 

Back to Question 22, I wonder if this is intended to be a situation as described in 1.3c(4)/4?

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/23/2021 at 10:19 AM, antip said:

I'm assessing the difference between where the ball lay and where the player played from.  I don't see any examples in the rules or interpretations that decide serious breach by comparing where a ball was played from with where the ball could have been played from if some form of penalty relief had been employed. 

 

 

I am stepping in late and have not yet read all the posts but the issue of a serious breach is the least described in the Rules of all possible things and I have not yet seen any, ANY, logical approach to that issue.

 

The only guideline I have seen is and has been significant advantage. Dropping a ball in the PA instead of dropping a ball on the fairway of equal distance cannot be a serious breach if the determining factor is significant advantage.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Sawgrass said:

My view therefore remains that the comparison between the original valid location in the bush and the illegal location (in the PA further back after the drop) yields a significant breach.

 

The way I see it is that the comparison must be made between the place the player dropped his ball (= incorrect place) and the place he SHOULD have dropped his ball (= correct place). After all, the player takes (penalty) relief from the bush/NPZ as he is allowed to, now it is only question where should he drop his ball.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Sawgrass said:

In the subject case, the ball is only prohibited from being played if you take a particular stance. If you take a different stance, the ball may be played.  It is valid to attempt a stroke from the opposite side, for instance.

 

My view therefore remains that the comparison between the original valid location in the bush and the illegal location (in the PA further back after the drop) yields a significant breach.

 

But perhaps you already understood my above point and reject it. If so, I wonder if you would ding me for hitting from a wrong place if I did make that opposite side stroke . . .

 

Edit: BTW, I don’t believe I could find a more agreeable fellow with whom I could disagree. 

 

Thank you for your kind remarks.

-----------------

""The ball is found but it is impossible to reach with a club due to the bush.

 The player is then relieved to see that a nearby section of the penalty area is marked as a no play zone, and that if a stance is taken for a shot from the bush, the player’s feet would be inside the no play zone. "

-------------

I believe that I now understand a possible reason why there may be some disagreement between us

I have taken the highlighted words at their face value.

It is impossible to reach the ball with a club.

My comprehension of the second paragraph is that if the player took a stance he would be standing in the NPZ but the shot is still not playable

 

If this is a miscomprehension on my part ( and others) and that a stroke at the ball is reasonable (albeit r/handed,l/ handed, etc) and interfered by NPZ, this would completely change the scenario as bullet point 2 would come into play and the drop and stroke would be valid.

 

If bullet 2 does not apply( which I still believe) then I still maintain that  original spot in the Bush cannot be a "right place"

 

 

MGA Certainly do not deserve any plaudits for their continuing poor presentation of the Quiz 😣😣

 

And Yes - If the circumstances were such that  you did make a stroke in the Penalty Area whilst standing in a NPZ - I WOULD PING you  WITH A PENALTY ( same as Wrong green) even though you were civil to me.😂

Aplace prohibited by the applicable rule.

Edited by limegreengent
Link to post
Share on other sites
54 minutes ago, limegreengent said:

 

-----------------

""The ball is found but it is impossible to reach with a club due to the bush.

 The player is then relieved to see that a nearby section of the penalty area is marked as a no play zone, and that if a stance is taken for a shot from the bush, the player’s feet would be inside the no play zone. "

-------------

 

 

And Yes - If the circumstances were such that  you did make a stroke in the Penalty Area whilst standing in a NPZ - I WOULD PING you  WITH A PENALTY ( same as Wrong green) even though you were civil to me.😂

Aplace prohibited by the applicable rule.

For the record, my side question to you was whether you’d ding me for a wrong place if I took the precaution of avoiding taking a stance in the NPZ yet made a stroke in an unusual way.

 

I also believe it possible to make a legal stroke at a ball which can not be reached by a club — for instance by striking a root which might then move your ball.  All still leading to the OP ball being in a valid place from which to make a stroke.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • Our picks

    • 2021 WGC Workday Championship @ The Concession Photos- Links & Discussion (UpDaTeD)
      Please post any questions or comments here.
       
      Links...
       
      2021 WGC Workday Championship - Tuesday #1
      2021 WGC Workday Championship - Tuesday #2
      2021 WGC Workday Championship - Tuesday #3
      2021 WGC Workday Championship - Tuesday #4
      2021 WGC Workday Championship - Tuesday #5
      2021 WGC Workday Championship - Tuesday #6
      Cameron Smith's Cameron 11.5 putter - 2021 WGC Workday Championship
      Cameron putter 2021 WGC Workday Championship
      2021 Ping putters - 2021 WGC Workday Championship
      Rory wearing new Nike Tour Victory II shoes - 2021 WGC Workday Championship
      Odyssey putters - 2021 WGC Workday Championship
       
      • 60 replies
    • 2021 AT&T Pebble Beach - discussion
      2021 AT&T Pebble Beach - Tuesday #1
      2021 AT&T Pebble Beach - Tuesday #2
       
      2021 AT&T Pebble Beach - Tuesday #3
       
      2021 AT&T Pebble Beach - Tuesday #4
       
      2021 AT&T Pebble Beach - Tuesday #5
       
      2021 AT&T Pebble Beach - Tuesday #6
       
      2021 AT&T Pebble Beach - Tuesday #7
       
      2021 AT&T Pebble Beach - Tuesday #8
       
      2021 AT&T Pebble Beach - Tuesday #9

      Ryan Moore with Axis 1 putter @ 2021 AT&T PB
       
       
       
      Please post any questions and comments here
      • 59 replies
    • 2021 Waste Management Phoenix Open - Discussion
      General galleries
      2021 Waste Management Phoenix Open - Tuesday #1
      2021 Waste Management Phoenix Open - Tuesday #2
      2021 Waste Management Phoenix Open - Tuesday #3
      2021 Waste Management Phoenix Open - Tuesday #4
      Monday Qualifier for Waste Management Open 
      Special galleries
       
      Ping PLD putters - 2021 WMPO Scott Brown with MMT graphite shafts in his ProTo Concept irons - 2021 WMPO TaylorMade putter cover from 2021 Waste Management Phoenix Open New Srixon golf balls - 2021 WMPO Bettinardi putters & cover - 2021 Waste Management Phoenix Open Cameron putters -2021 Waste Management Phoenix Open Piretti putters -2021 Waste Management Phoenix Open Cameron mallets - 2021 WMPO Odyssey 2-ball Ten - 2021 WMPO  
      Please put any questions or comments here
       
      Jason Day's Bag...
        • Like
      • 21 replies
    • 2021 FARMERS WITB & Equipment Photos- Links and comments
      We are back on the ground at the 2021 Farmers PGA Tour event. Please add you comments in this thread. Here are links to all the galleries:
       
      Special galleries:
      2021 Farmers - Tuesday #1
      2021 Farmers - Tuesday #2
      2021 Farmers - Tuesday #3
      2021 Farmers - Tuesday #4
      2021 Farmers - Tuesday #5
       
      2021 Farmers - Tuesday #6
       
      2021 Farmers - Tuesday #7
       
      Cameron putters - Farmers 2021
       
      Odyssey 2-ball Ten - Farmers 2021
       
      Project X Even Flow RipTide MX & LX proto shafts - Framers 2021
       
      TaylorMade putter cover for Torrey Pines - Farmers 2021
       
      Sling Shot training aid - Farmers 2021
       
       
      • 47 replies
    • 2021 American Express WITB & Equipment Photos- Links and comments
      We are back on the ground at the American Express PGA event.
       
      Here are links to all the galleries:
       
      Cameron putters - 2021 American Express
      PXG Gen 4 prototype drivers - new putters
      UST Maymiya LinQ shafts - American Express 2021
      Mitsubishi Kaili & MMT shafts - American Express 2021
      Titleist TSi 2 & TSi 3 hybrids - American Express 2021
      TaylorMade putter cover for Palm Springs/Palm Desert - American Express
      New Aldila Synergy, Ascent & prototype shafts - American Express 2021
      Callaway Apex Pro iron, Epic Driver and fairway, Apex iron & hybrid - American Express 2021
      New Perfect Practice training aids - American Express 2021
      New KBS prototype shafts - American Express 2021
       
        • Like
      • 18 replies

×
×
  • Create New...