New driver vs new putter

If you have to choose between the two... which will have a greater impact in your overall game. 

I have a 915d2 but have never been fit for a driver in my life. I hit it ok and i know a new driver wont make my swing better but maybe one that is fitted could help me... 

For my putter, i have a lajosi dd201 whit my daughter name on it. It is special for me but if im being totally honest, i never had a lot of confidence with it. So i have my eyes on the new scotty 5.5 (thomas model) and i know it fit my stroke better: had an odyssey mini jailbird with a slant neck which i really liked. I sold that putter to force the use of only my blade putter, and for 2 years i really committed. But honestly, the mallet was just better for my game. 

would like to hear your opinion... even if i am pretty sure everyone will say “get both”... it is golfwrx after all. 

Titleist 915 d2
Titleist 917 f2 18*

PIng i25 hybrid 22* pwr 90

[u]project x L.Z 5.5[/u]:
Bridgestone J15 cb 5-pw
Nike engage 52 square,
56 toe sweep
60 dual sole

Lajosi Dd201

A dream bag

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Putter.  At best, you use your driver 14 times.  You use the putter on every hole and putts account for roughly 30-40% of your total strokes.  

From my experience, driver.  I've played a number of different putter types; from face-balanced mallets to major toe-hang blades, and only practice has improved my putting.   My worst rounds

Both is the only real answer.  Lol.    but. Given your info. Driver 100%.  You’ll gain over the 915d2 for sure.  Forgiving. Yes. But nobody ever called that head fast. Try the tsi2 , I’d bet yo

Putter - 100%

and get fit for it, use evidence.

then buy a new driver

• Like 1

Driver (9.0) - Cobra F9 Aldila Rogue Silver 70 S, 44.5"
Wood (15) - Exotics EX10 Aldila Rougue Silver 70S
Driving Iron (20) - Srixon U65 Project X 5.5
Irons (5-6) - Srixon Z565 Project X 5.5
Irons (7-P) - Srixon Z765 Project X 5.5
Wedges - Vokey SM-7 Jet Black / 50.08 F / 54.08 M / 58.08 M DG S300
Putter - Edel E-1
Ball - Titleist Prov1x
ZGrip Midsized Grips

Both is the only real answer.  Lol. 

but. Given your info. Driver 100%.  You’ll gain over the 915d2 for sure.  Forgiving. Yes. But nobody ever called that head fast. Try the tsi2 , I’d bet you are hooked on first swing.  They are that good. 

• Like 3

Titleist tsi2 10* Mitsubishi TB 70x 

Titleist ts2 16.5 * Tensei CK pro Blue 80TX

Pxg Gen 2 0317X 3h  kbs 95 s+ 

Titleist T100 [email protected]*  modus 130x 

Vokey sm7 50*54*58*v grind s400

Cameron GSS 009  1.5 , sound slot , tungsten sole weights , head speed shaft. 

10 minutes ago, bladehunter said:

Both is the only real answer.  Lol. 

but. Given your info. Driver 100%.  You’ll gain over the 915d2 for sure.  Forgiving. Yes. But nobody ever called that head fast. Try the tsi2 , I’d bet you are hooked on first swing.  They are that good. 

And yet you have an avatar of a putter in your profile pic, haha.  I second the notion that the OP should go with driver.  The 915d2 is a dinosaur.  Drivers these days are more forgiving on off center hits. 

• Haha 1

TM SIM 2, 8* w/Ventus Black 7x

TM SIM 15* w/Ventus Blue 8x

TM Tour Issue Deep Face Ghost Proto 2 HB  w/Thump 105x

Vega VDC-01 4i w/Recoil Proto 125 F5

New Level 623-M 5-PW w/MMT 125 TX

54* Miura HB w/KBS 610 S+, 58* Miura w/KBS Tour Black

Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 1

New driver for sure.  Having a club that you feel confident off the tee translates well to the rest of your game.  Then figure out why you don't like putter, is it the lie angle (big one here that will make a nice change to your line of site)? loft? grips easily changed try something thinner/fatter/pistol profile,etc.  Those can be tweaked cheaply.  If you have the itch for something new try the Elevado line of putters by Cleveland to save $$.  

• Like 1

Taylormade M6, 9.0* head set -1.5*, Aldila 110 Rogue Silver Stiff 
Cobra FLY Z+ 3 wood, orange, aldila tour blue stiff, 14.5*
Sub 70 939x, 3H(18*), Proforce V2 85 stiff
Sub 70 939x, 4H(21*), Proforce V2 85 stiff
Sub 70 699 Pros, 5-AW, Modus 120 stiff
PING glide 2.0, 54* and 58*, SS, Modus 120 stiff
Scotty Select Newport, 73* lie, 1* loft, 34"
Bridgestone Tour BX

Another 100% for the putter, especially if it involves a fitting.

Do not know if this makes a good example, but had my very first fitting in early 2019.  I had built my own set thru trial & error for the past 15 years.  The putter I had sworn by for the previous 4 years was an old Odyssey 2-ball center shaft putter.

The putter was the last thing that we went over in the fitting.  Before we started, the fitter told me he did not think much of center shaft putters.  His quote when we finished, "Don't ever get rid of that putter!".  

From my experience, driver.  I've played a number of different putter types; from face-balanced mallets to major toe-hang blades, and only practice has improved my putting.

My worst rounds come when I'm routinely out of position, or out of bounds, on my 2nd shot.  

Edited by forrester_fire
  • Like 4

Putter costs you strokes and driver costs you yards.

Yeah, Putter is the way to go. The driver can come in the not-so-distant future.

BT

Mizuno ST180 10.5 - Diamana Kai'Li 70 S @ 44.5"
Mizuno JPX 850 3w 14.5 - Diamana Kai'Li 80 S @ 43"
Mizuno JPX 850 7w 19.5 - Diamana Kai'Li 80 S @ 41.5"
Mizuno MP5 4-PW - Aldila RIP Tour 115 R
Mizuno MP-T5 52, 56 & 60 - TT Wedge
Grips - Grip Master Master Perforated Midsize

To me a driver is the most important club in the bag. It sets up the hole.  You might putt good with a blue light special putter(i have seen it done) but, the same likely cannot be said about the driver. If you are spraying the ball all over the place with the driver while giving up forgiveness and length it makes the round of golf tougher.  

Depends on how many yards you stand to gain with a new driver vs how many strokes gained with a putter. Probably would pick up some yards with a fitted driver, same is true with reducing strokes with a confidence inspiring putter. Maybe look at last years models of both and save a little $$ but see some performance gains? 

2 hours ago, herdman said:

To me a driver is the most important club in the bag. It sets up the hole.  You might putt good with a blue light special putter(i have seen it done) but, the same likely cannot be said about the driver. If you are spraying the ball all over the place with the driver while giving up forgiveness and length it makes the round of golf tougher.  

Blue light special...I loved Kmart as a kid. Thought they had everything a guy would ever need in there. 

This is a good topic. It would be player dependant because we really dont know how good of a driver or putter you are. But all things being equal, from a statistical perspective i would think a good driver fitting in the end would have a bigger impact, unless you 3 putt ALOT.  I would try to find a fitter that offers waiving fitting  with minimum purchase. You could get the whole bag fitted and just meet the minimum purchase threshold. The fitter should be able to tell you which he thinks would have a better impact.

• Like 2

@Red4282 brings up a great point about finding a fitter that could help in a deeper way.  If not, I always address my game from the pin working my way back to the tee.  🤷🏻‍♂️

PXG  Proto 0811X 9* Oban Hashimoto Limited 04

Titleist TS3 15* Diamana S+ ltd Blueboard 70s tipped 1" 

Titleist U500 2i Fujikura Motore Speeder Tour Spec 9.8 hb

Callaway  18 X Forged UT 4i  Accra iCWT 105

Callaway  Apex Pro Double Dot 5-pw  Nippon Modus 125 stiff

Vokey Raw SM8 50F, 54S, 58S  Nippon Modus 125 wedge

Cushman Custom   C&C 1.0 Welded Hex Flow Neck  KBS CT Tour Matte Black, Lamkin Deep Etch Full Cord

Bridgestone Tour B XS

I think putter... you can get a new driver and still hit it really bad. I just watched a video saying that drivers from 2017 to now there are virtually no difference in performance. That being said sure maybe you can pick up a few yards and accuracy with a brand new driver but it depends on how good you are at driving too.. putting is pretty important as well. A bad putter feels soo wrong. Hmm... maybe just buy some balls and call it a day lol.

1 hour ago, jacobanderson123 said:

Which part of your game do you consider weaker? Whichever one you think will save you the most strokes is the one you should get fit for.

Great point. For me, my game off the tee is by far my weakest attribute. I know what i am doing with my irons, my wedge, even the putter to be honest is not that bad. Some good players my game on the green was ok, nit great but ok. But from the tee, i am not a confident player. I think i will go with the driver.

• Like 1

Titleist 915 d2
Titleist 917 f2 18*

PIng i25 hybrid 22* pwr 90

[u]project x L.Z 5.5[/u]:
Bridgestone J15 cb 5-pw
Nike engage 52 square,
56 toe sweep
60 dual sole

Lajosi Dd201

A dream bag

Good topic!  I'd go driver.  I'm bias, but if I'm driving the ball well, the rest of the game falls into place. 

Honestly, I feel that I could put any putter in my hand I will be able to two-putt most greens.  While I understand the value of a good, fitted putter, it never made me a better flat stick user.  A well fit driver has had the opposite effect for me and though it's just my opinion, there have been many more great advances in drivers than putters since you purchased your 915d2; especially with forgiveness. 

Good luck with your choice!

Driver: Callaway Mavrik Max @ 10.5* (Playing @11.5*) w/Mitsubishi Tensei CK White 60S 
Fairway: Callaway Mavrik Max @ 15* w/Mitsubishi Tensei CK Blue 70S
Hybrid: Callaway Super Hybrid @ 21* w/Mitsubishi Tensei CK Blue 80S

Utility/Hybrid: Cobra RADSPEED @ 24* w/UST Recoil 480ESX F4-76g or Fujikuri Ventus Blue 70S
Irons: Cobra RADSPEED (5-GW) w/KBS $ Taper Lite Black S
Wedges: Cobra King MIM Black @52-8V and 57-10V w/KBS $ Taper Black 

Putter: Odyssey Stroke Lab V-Line CS @ 34"
Ball: Testing Titleist Pro V1x Left Dash vs. Snell MTB Black vs. Oncore Vero X1

Bag: Ping Pioneer Cart Bag-White/Black

917/tsi lets say 8 to 15yards.over xmas i spent 6+ hours doing putting practice,learnt a lot,i became a lot more automatic at putting...especially from 5 yards!My best gains are putter then 19 and 16 degree fwys.

2020 18 July mid winterNZ
Ping Rapture 2006 10.5
Nike VrS 3wood
Callaway Razr Edge5 wood

MP100=33 9876 5/mp63
54     RTX2
60     RTX2
ProPlatinum NewportTwo
2002 325gram +8.NewGrip
Dont hesitate to buy one!

Do this...

Take that "dinosaur" driver into a golf store and hit it against all the new drivers. My guess is you won't see the significant gains most seem to think you will. 

Then go get fit for a putter.

Driver is used 14 times a round at the very most...more likely 10-12 times.

The putter will be used 30-40 times.

In your case, putter, because you said you hit the driver OK but have little confidence in the putter. 

But both are probably fixable without spending a lot. Your driver is old enough that you could find something on eBay in your correct spec that's 2-3 years old and it would still outperform what you've got. 

And with putters, tech is so much less important. There are a million used options online, so finding one that gives you more confidence than your current stick shouldn't be too hard.

• Like 1

Ping G425 Max Ventus Blue

Ping G425 LST 3w Ventus Blue

Ping G425 Max 5w/9w Ventus Blue

Mizuno MP20 5-Pw Modus Tour 120

Mizuno T20 50/54/58 Tour Issue S400

Lab B2 | Titleist Pro V1 | Golf Pride CP2

Personally, I went putter with a professional fitting... I wrote up my experience in the @SeeMore Putters section of the putting forums... I haven’t had a chance to ply a round with it, but having a putter I’m confident with is awesome... 

it sounds like you don’t trust your current putter, so I’d replace that first. If you are near Nashville, go see Cody. Awesome experience.

if you aren’t going to get fit, pick up a used driver... plenty of great options out there, I’m a fan of buying used cobra stuff. It tends to be cheaper. 

plenty of inexpensive putter options if you don’t get fit... standard seemores aren’t that much, but you can get a Tommy armour or Cleveland putter for $100 new.

• Like 1

As of 1/24/21

9 Callaway Mavrk Sub Zero with RipX

13 Degree Adams Speedline with Aldila Alpha 

18 Degree Adams A12 with Proforce V2

4 Utility Sub70 699u 22 degree Proforce V2

5 iron Sub70 639 CB with S400

6-GW Adams CMB with Project X 6.0

54, 58 Vokeys

SeeMore milled Tri-Mallet fit and built at SeeMore