2024 Houston Open WITB Photos ×

Am I crazy to use classic "vintage" irons?

Crazy is in they eye of the beholder.  I know I'm crazy but some people might not agree with me.  😃

There is nothing crazy about playing vintage or classic irons however.

I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that pretty much any tour grade iron set in good condition with stiff shafts and made after about 1970 on would be totally playable for actual PGA Tour tournament use in the hands of a current PGA pro.  I'm sure Ricky Fowler would be comfortable playing several of my classic sets.  The main point is that despite what all the billions of dollars of marketing has had to say over the years the basic blade shape and execution has pretty much stayed the same since then.  Play the new $2000 Taylormade blades or find a $200 mint set of Wilson Tour Blades - the only real difference is price.  Not crazy at all.  

• Like 3

You guys crack me up (in a good way) 😜

Bless you for not caring about how you score, or trying to compete on a golf course.

You truly get pleasure from playing with hickory shafted irons and wooden heads for some reason, but as long as you’re not in front of me hitting 150 yard drives all day it’s all good, enjoy.

Do your wives still play doubles with wooden rackets at the club?

PING G425 Max 10.5* 

PING G425 3W 14.5* & 5W 17.5*

PING G425 4H 22** & 5H 26* 

CALLAWAY Apex DCB 6-AW 

CALLAWAY Raw Face 54-10 

CLEVELAND  RTX Zipcore 58-6 

SCOTTY CAMERON Phantom X 5.5

37 minutes ago, Swingingk said:

Crazy is in they eye of the beholder.  I know I'm crazy but some people might not agree with me.  😃

There is nothing crazy about playing vintage or classic irons however.

I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that pretty much any tour grade iron set in good condition with stiff shafts and made after about 1970 on would be totally playable for actual PGA Tour tournament use in the hands of a current PGA pro.  I'm sure Ricky Fowler would be comfortable playing several of my classic sets.  The main point is that despite what all the billions of dollars of marketing has had to say over the years the basic blade shape and execution has pretty much stayed the same since then.  Play the new $2000 Taylormade blades or find a $200 mint set of Wilson Tour Blades - the only real difference is price.  Not crazy at all.  

Serious question.

When was the last time you broke 100 on a real golf course using 50+ year old clubs?

PING G425 Max 10.5* 

PING G425 3W 14.5* & 5W 17.5*

PING G425 4H 22** & 5H 26* 

CALLAWAY Apex DCB 6-AW 

CALLAWAY Raw Face 54-10 

CLEVELAND  RTX Zipcore 58-6 

SCOTTY CAMERON Phantom X 5.5

21 minutes ago, john myrbch said:

Serious question.

When was the last time you broke 100 on a real golf course using 50+ year old clubs?

All the time actually and yes on a real golf course.  I regularly break 90 with any of my classic sets including the persimmon woods and I'm nothing special at all.  I usually play about 5 strokes better with modern woods but that's about it.  The closest I've come to breaking 80 was with my 1972 Wilson buttonbacks.  They play better than my 2010 Scratch blades, although the FG59'S play as good.  Persimmon woods are more difficult to use than modern woods yes and will cost you strokes, but classic blades are just as good as modern blades in my opinion. 

• Like 4

5 hours ago, john myrbch said:

You guys crack me up (in a good way) 😜

Bless you for not caring about how you score, or trying to compete on a golf course.

You truly get pleasure from playing with hickory shafted irons and wooden heads for some reason, but as long as you’re not in front of me hitting 150 yard drives all day it’s all good, enjoy.

Do your wives still play doubles with wooden rackets at the club?

Honestly, you sound like you believe that older gear was made out of cheese or something. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, coldwareragolfer said:

Another 80s baby!  Scarcer than hens teeth!  I try to find ways I’m connected to this old gear.  Although your post about the simple pleasure this gear brings us is enough, I still try to find a connection.

The only one I can come up with was goofing around on the park district courses as a junior high kid and seeing this gear. Maybe it was something one of your buddies grandfathers or fathers gave them.   Maybe it was something we found at the garbage of the fancy club?  I do know I saw old blades and persimmons when I was a kid so there is some nostalgia there.  Somehow.

Count me in as well!  My first set of clubs was a cut-down set of my dad's old irons from the 70's.  I've made it a hobby to trawl thrift stores for classic clubs, and have assembled a set of irons from the early 80's.  Though, I'll be honest, this was just the thrill of the hunt:  finding a servicable set of clubs for under $2 per club.  My true dream is to assemble a mid- to late-90's set...the stuff I'd drool over in Golf Magazine after those summer golf leagues with friends.

• Like 1

What's In The Bag?

Srixon Z565 Driver, 4W, 4H

Ping G400 5-U

Kirkland Sig Wedges

Odyssey White Hot Putter

Hyundai Equus Alignment Sticks

KSig balls for now - in search of something new

Found this elsewhere recently, and seems appropriate to post it here.  Given the discussion.  Found it to be an good explanation of why some of us do what we do.  Some exclusively, others (such as myself) occasionally.  But I believe there's a certain shared zeitgeist to be found with classic implements that is trending upwards across a spectrum of the golfing public.  

https://soundergolf.com/blogs/journal/guest-column-yearning-for-a-smaller-game

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Laissez les bons temps rouler!

OGA - Mitglied Nummer Sechs

1 hour ago, Fellaheen51 said:

Gentlemen.  Ignore the clueless.  They don't get it, likely never will.  Not worth expending the effort attempting justification or explanation.  Let them proceed forward with their Scotty's and PXG's, while the rest of us continue the quest in reverse.   

Where's my persimmons?  Mind if I play through?  

Ahh yes!  That crowd.  😃

Hanging out around all you here on the off season had me almost forgetting about those types of golfers.  The ones chasing modern technology and the ones standing on the tee box getting ready to "bomb" with their oversized drivers and then jump in their cart and race off.  Oh the joy of the modern game.

• Like 1

Instagram: cold_war_era_golfer 

Brother Fella, that's a lovely find, and a good read.  🙂

10 hours ago, coldwareragolfer said:

Another 80s baby!  Scarcer than hens teeth!  I try to find ways I’m connected to this old gear.  Although your post about the simple pleasure this gear brings us is enough, I still try to find a connection.

The only one I can come up with was goofing around on the park district courses as a junior high kid and seeing this gear. Maybe it was something one of your buddies grandfathers or fathers gave them.   Maybe it was something we found at the garbage of the fancy club?  I do know I saw old blades and persimmons when I was a kid so there is some nostalgia there.  Somehow.

Though I'm in my mid to late 50s, in golf terms, I may as well be an 80s baby.  I started playing golf in 1998, slowly having been drawn in by hitting balls on the driving range with my early teen stepson.  I completely missed out on the "all clubs are persimmons and blades" era.

It didn't take me long to start dabbling.  My gateway drugs were Golden Rams that I'd switched to in 2001, and a Louisville Smart Driver I'd found at 2nd Swing in the miscellaneous club rack, a couple years after I joined Club Ram.  Once I found I could hit the Smart Driver as far as the Ti driver I was using at the time, I was even more intrigued.

And here i am.  🙂

• Like 4

The Ever Changing Bag!  A lot of mixing and matching
Driver: TM 300 Mini 11.5*, 43.5", Phenom NL 60X -or- Cobra SpeedZone, ProtoPype 80S, 43.5"

Fwy woods: King LTD 3/4, Rogue Black 75X -or- TM Stage 2 Tour 3w, NV105 X -or- TEE E8 Beta 12*, Rogue Silver 70X
Hybrid:  Cobra King Tec 2h, MMT 80 S -or- TEE CBX 17*, HZRDUS 85 6.0

2 iron:  Arias D-23, Modus3 120 S; Mizuno MP-20 HMB, NS Pro 950 R

Irons grab bag:  1-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 1-PW Golden Ram TW282, RIP Tour 115 R; 2-PW Golden Ram Vibration Matched, NS Pro 950WF S; testing: Arias D-23 5i w/Modus 120 S
Wedges:  Dynacraft Dual Millled 52*, SteelFiber i125 S -or- Scratch 8620 DD 53*, SteelFiber i125 S; Cobra Snakebite 56* -or- Wilson Staff PMP 58*, Dynamic S -or- Ram TW282 SW -or- Ram TW276 SW
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34" -or- Cleveland Huntington Beach #1, 34.5" -or- Golden Ram TW Custom, 34" -or- Rife Bimini, 34" -or- Maxfli TM-2, 35"
Balls: Chrome Soft, Kirkland Signature 3pc (v3), Wilson Triad

Grip preference: various GripMaster leather options or Star Grip Sidewinders of assorted colors

46 minutes ago, Fellaheen51 said:

Found this elsewhere recently, and seems appropriate to post it here.  Given the discussion.  Found it to be an good explanation of why some of us do what we do.  Some exclusively, others (such as myself) occasionally.  But I believe there's a certain shared zeitgeist to be found with classic implements that is trending upwards across a spectrum of the golfing public.  

https://soundergolf.com/blogs/journal/guest-column-yearning-for-a-smaller-game

This article helps me answer the initial question better than my first response.  Although by high school I was pretty much done with golf I remember going to the park district course with friends in junior high/possibly early high school with cut down vintage sets and trying golf, buying the pop out of the vending machines, and having the place to ourselves because the adults worked.  So maybe there is more nostalgia for this 80s kid than I think.

But as some have stated here I too look back to older fashion/style/design.  I'm an old soul as is my wife.  We belonged to the rockabilly subculture(not so much anymore) and she was more likely to dress like Bettie Page than who ever was the contemporary.  I played vintage guitars and although our home is updated with modern conveniences most of our furniture is either vintage or reproduction of mid century design and has a time capsule feel.  

I get the same thrill finding a vintage set of MacGregors for 20 bucks as I do buying a piece of Heywood Wakefield furniture.  Yeah we could have bought a coffee table at IKEA or Target but woulda been more expensive and cheaply made.

I guess one thing this thread has exposed is I'm the CRAZY one!

• Like 4

Ah, you youngin's.  That are able to whack with authority a "lesser" implement.  

I'll confess to being one that utilizes a modern driver (400 Max) to "bomb" my drives.  Although the bombs only go about 220 with a well struck one.   Such are the realities that come with seasoning.  I play wood for fun and pleasure, the modern metal for when the sizzle gets serious.  Like the weekly bragging rights and funds exchanged amongst the buds.  

Although I can get within ~ 10 yards of the average drive off the modern D with a nutted one off the Eye 2 woody.  Which is kinda sweet.  

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, Fellaheen51 said:

Ah, you youngin's.  That are able to whack with authority a "lesser" implement.  

I'll confess to being one that utilizes a modern driver (400 Max) to "bomb" my drives.  Although the bombs only go about 220 with a well struck one.   Such are the realities that come with seasoning.  I play wood for fun and pleasure, the modern metal for when the sizzle gets serious.  Like the weekly bragging rights and funds exchanged amongst the buds.  

Although I can get within ~ 10 yards of the average drive off the modern D with a nutted one off the Eye 2 woody.  Which is kinda sweet.  

Oh yeah I've fallen into that situation too.  I got into a best ball tournament last summer and I really let my buds down off the tee as to I don't own any modern driver and sort of refused to use theirs so they were handicapped already as a team off the tee.  I do like to think I made up for that with my short game which seems to be lost on most of them even though they each own more wedges than I usually take in a minimalist bag.

But hey sometimes you got to make your buds put down the modern drivers and play for $$ with the old stuff.  Although, I'm finding I usually just golf with "vintage" minded players more and more and this is less of a problem.

4 hours ago, Fellaheen51 said:

Reads as though you've been performing some evaluative research, or have tried the selected models before.  All are worthy candidates.  Certainly of the classical vein, although not quite sure if I'd affix "vintage" as a descriptive.  The JNP ('90) and Edge (first version '89) are similar in type.  The FG-17 ('81) is substantively different as it's a MB.  Although as a 2.5 cap, don't see where that would present much of an issue given your apparent sound ball striking capabilities.   All are significantly older than the 20 year criteria, but not exactly ancient in terms of iron head design.  Would argue that a clean, basic, forged iron head is timeless.  

I've fielded FG-17's before, beyond my skill set to play reliably.  MB and stiff shafts are not a playable combination in my hands.  Have had a partial set of Edges out as well, the irons that keep Hogan solvent for awhile longer.  Believe them to be the first forged CB iron design.  They played quite well, even though they had Apex 4 shafts.  That would be first choice of the three.  Never swung the JNP.

You have a wide variety of options available in this timeframe (1980 - 2000).  Comes down to what meets the eye, how they play for you, and if a particular iron falls into a value slot for acquiring.  Something of a classic Hogan fan, have a predilection towards them for my classical fix.  Have been mentioned upthread, the '99 Hogan Apex are superb.  By my definition, they fall squarely into a classic definition by design, if not by chronology.  

WTS.  The current irons of choice in my frontline bag, as of last year, are Ping BeNi ISI's.  Been more than surprised how well they play.  Several of the head attributes are very suitable to my game.  And if you examine certain analytical metrics, they are the equal to the latest Ping models.  Not bad for ~25 year old irons.  Acquired for a pittance compared with "new".  Ball flights straight (tight dispersion is paramount), traverses the required distance.  Need my 140 yard iron (7i) to fly the ball 140 yards.  Why do I need it to fly 150?  To boast to the buds that I'm hitting an 8 iron?  (As if they care, they don't.)  False bravado.  

As a more seasoned golfer, of at best average abilities, installing suitable shafts in my regular play sets is of paramount importance.  Shafts are better now, with many more options than BITD.  They can really enhance the playability of a classic set of heads IMO.  May want to take this into consideration whatever direction you choose to take with an iron set.  You are in no code violation reshafting classic irons.  I reserve shaft changes to those that have passed the test of playability, and I'm going to keep around long-term.  A value decision.  The ISI's mentioned were reshafted to lighter weight, regular flex, steel from the original.  How they played, in my hands, was significantly improved.   

Ignoring the current marketing hyperbole is prudent strategy.  Much to be discovered once one recognizes that much of it may be a bunch of boolah.  To get peeps to open their wallet and buy "new" implements.  Because they are 'mo better.  

My .02 on the subject.  Enjoy the journey backwards.  Nothing crazy about it.  In fact, it's splendidly anachronistic.  Hopefully, we won't have to wait to much longer to play golf here in S.E. Michigan.  Despite what the outdoor conditions currently show.  First outing last year was March 9th, just before shutdown.  Always play sometime in March.  Drawing closer day by day.  

The most difficult challenge in front of me right now is finding a set of iron heads in acceptable condition.  I love the simplistic look of FG-17 irons, but finding a set of heads in a good playable condition has been challenging.  I don't mind some wear but I can't do with chrome missing or major rust.  I don't mind reshafting a set which I will end up doing as I prefer X-stiff shafts.  The same thing with Hogan blades too, first goal is finding a set of heads from somewhere that is in good condition.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Divot License said:

I have to admit I love the idea of playing persimmon I am yet to implement it.

I'll admit I am hesitant to drop the yardage with the driver but doubt I will see much difference with Irons. This year maybe the year to start the journey back in time. 

I have been playing with older blades for several years.  It didn't make a huge change in my scores at the time and my game has improved as I've been working on it since.  I would also like to move persimmon woods in to play on occasion, but the idea of loosing 30 yards off the tee doesn't sound fun, no matter how amazing the strike feels.  I think I will start this year by replacing a club other than driver, where maximum distance isn't the primary factor.   Maybe replace a 5 metal wood with a 4 persimmon and see how it goes.  Should be a reasonable transition.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, BURKMI19 said:

...I love the simplistic look of FG-17 irons, but finding a set of heads in a good playable condition has been challenging.  I don't mind some wear but I can't do with chrome missing or major rust....

One thing I haven't seen mentioned here is that FG-17s had major chrome issues when they came out. The pro I worked for and I both had FG-17s before the '84 Staffs came out and had to have them replaced for chrome loss, and that was the same year we bought them, not 40 years later.  When I see them in thrifts, I see some in good shape, but I also see plenty with chrome loss, much more than other Staffs. For that reason, despite how pretty the heads are, I will never have a positive opinion on that model. In contrast, I've been picking up '84 Staff heads lately to both replace worn heads from my original set and possibly build a second set with different shafts and I haven't seen any chrome issues. I came across two partial sets lately that had been abused, one with bent shafts and one with destroyed ferrules, and neither had even a slight chrome issue. If you want a set of classic blades in playable shape, shoot for the model or two after the FG-17s.

1 hour ago, Joe S said:

I have been playing with older blades for several years.  It didn't make a huge change in my scores at the time and my game has improved as I've been working on it since.  I would also like to move persimmon woods in to play on occasion, but the idea of loosing 30 yards off the tee doesn't sound fun, no matter how amazing the strike feels.  I think I will start this year by replacing a club other than driver, where maximum distance isn't the primary factor.   Maybe replace a 5 metal wood with a 4 persimmon and see how it goes.  Should be a reasonable transition.

Good strategy, trying fairways.  Don't quite know why, but can realize positive results and acceptable distance with fairways off turf.  Find that a 5 persimmon plays similar to a modernist hybrid.  Head sizes are comparable, shorter steel shafts to maintain delivery control, lofts ~ 20* to assist getting the ball airborne.   A means to gain confidence with playing wood woods.  

The D can be challenging, and I'm in no means a good player with them.  So I adjust course lengths accordingly.  Play ones that I can hit and chase, without unnecessary hazard carries. And often reserve persimmon play for the solitary round, absent a scorecard.  Feel more at ease when no one else is around, watching, can focus on the task at hand.   Removes all the pressure of exposed ineptitude.  Hit a solid shot, then attempt to do it again.  

• Like 4

10 hours ago, Joe S said:

without realizing at the time, one of the Citation 3 woods I found a while back turned out to be either altered or a ladies club.

shaft length is equal to a modern hybrid and the head is about the same mass.

it still has use at lesser distances.

plus the odd ribbing - 'He's got the Tree wood."

• Haha 1

currently playing:
FT-5 - D
Cally FT hybrids
Hogan Edge GS, 4-PW
Vokey Oil Can 52, 56
Ping Anser 2

TM FlexTech Lite/Titleist StaDry

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/22/2021 at 4:23 PM, coldwareragolfer said:

You might be but it's all I do.   My most modern sets are Ping Eye 2s and 1988 Wilson Fluid Feels. Which I'm in the process of selling the Fluid Feels because I don't see much difference between them and the vintage ones. 

For the courses I play vintage blades are fine.  I'll never be more than a weekend warrior and the most competitive I get is with my friends who all play modern so what's the point if I'm not having fun beating them with what I found at garage sales?

For me the most fun is walking to my local par 3 with a Jones bag filled with a set of late 50s early 60s irons.  I'd rather go dress shopping with my wife than ride around in a cart with a modern set of clubs.

I was born in 1982 so I don't know why I'm attracted to the old stuff.  I think it's more so about connecting with the game the way it used to be played.

I was born in 81.  I too love the classic stuff even though it predates my  earliest golf days as I didn't start playing until 1997.  The newest irons I've played in the last few years are 1999 Mizuno MP-29s.  Just last weekend I played my first round with Hogan Ft Worth Redlines from 92-93.   I cut my teeth on vintage stuff with FG-17s close to 20 years ago then on to a set of 1983 Titleist Tour Models 1-W.  I've had several sets of newer stuff through the years that I thought would be better, every time I was wrong and went back to the classic stuff.  The 1 exception to that might be the 1994 Big Bertha irons.  Those things are a lot better than they get credit for.  I guess they're still pretty classic though considering they're getting close to 30 years old.

• Like 1

Brother @deejaid, your post reminds me....

Twelve to thirteen years ago, I was playing a lot of golf with a friend of mine (who's since moved a couple hundred miles away).  This was during the three months plus period I played persimmons, and successfully navigated myself from low double digits to an 8 hdcp.  

We had occasion to meet up with a younger guy, with whom we wound up playing a handful of rounds over several weeks.  At some point, he mentioned that when we'd met, he wasn't sure what he was getting in to, seeing the older woods and blades in my bag.  He said he wasn't the sort to say much, but he sure wasn't going to talk smack to an older guy who was outdriving him with old wood woods.

Love those memory triggers. 

I sometimes wonder what happened to that guy, we lost touch with him several years ago.  🙂

• Like 4

The Ever Changing Bag!  A lot of mixing and matching
Driver: TM 300 Mini 11.5*, 43.5", Phenom NL 60X -or- Cobra SpeedZone, ProtoPype 80S, 43.5"

Fwy woods: King LTD 3/4, Rogue Black 75X -or- TM Stage 2 Tour 3w, NV105 X -or- TEE E8 Beta 12*, Rogue Silver 70X
Hybrid:  Cobra King Tec 2h, MMT 80 S -or- TEE CBX 17*, HZRDUS 85 6.0

2 iron:  Arias D-23, Modus3 120 S; Mizuno MP-20 HMB, NS Pro 950 R

Irons grab bag:  1-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 1-PW Golden Ram TW282, RIP Tour 115 R; 2-PW Golden Ram Vibration Matched, NS Pro 950WF S; testing: Arias D-23 5i w/Modus 120 S
Wedges:  Dynacraft Dual Millled 52*, SteelFiber i125 S -or- Scratch 8620 DD 53*, SteelFiber i125 S; Cobra Snakebite 56* -or- Wilson Staff PMP 58*, Dynamic S -or- Ram TW282 SW -or- Ram TW276 SW
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34" -or- Cleveland Huntington Beach #1, 34.5" -or- Golden Ram TW Custom, 34" -or- Rife Bimini, 34" -or- Maxfli TM-2, 35"
Balls: Chrome Soft, Kirkland Signature 3pc (v3), Wilson Triad

Grip preference: various GripMaster leather options or Star Grip Sidewinders of assorted colors

@deejaidIt's been nagging at me too honestly.  I'm way further down on the beginner notch than most of my classic golf brothers here but I have been known to out play the weekend warrior with the modern bag at least at my par 3.

My goal this year has been to get better with woods at the range when it's somewhat warm this winter. So I can play better at the longer courses.  I need the confidence I have in the low irons and vintage putters with the woods.

Now I'm being no better than the troll but I see guys at my range with the ugliest swings out driving me with these modern irons and everytime I hear a range ball klang off one I think about this thead and think, "No, I'd be crazy to want to do THAT!"

• Like 2

6 hours ago, deejaid said:

You know, this thread has been nagging at me for awhile.   Maybe it was the trolling response that we “hit our drives 150 yards” and slow down play.  Why is it always assumed that playing with older, less tech-dominated clubs means that you can’t play at a high level?   I enjoy playing classic clubs but I also enjoy playing the clubs that work best for my game, which just happen to be classic clubs.   

I’ve bought tens of thousands of dollars worth of golf gear in my 35+ years playing the game and none of it has made me a better player.   My game actually only really started improving when I began playing blades and persimmon full time.   I actually started learning how to manipulate the club to work the ball.   I learned to use a single wedge all around the green; opening it up for flop shots, hooding it to run low.  I’ve learned more about balance and control hitting a smaller head persimmon driver, paying way more attention to my swing arc and the face angle at impact.

The clubs I put in my bag I understand.   Everything written on the web says my narrow sole, no-bounce irons should be impossible to hit, but why then do I find large modern clubs more difficult to hit while I can stand over the ball with a blade iron and have complete confidence?

And to the guy worried I’m going to slow him down with my “antique clubs and 150 yard drives”,  I shot a 77 last Saturday on a 6500 yard tree lined course hitting 13 of 14 fairways with the bag in my signature.  What did you shoot?

Love the post. 

• Like 1