NC Membership Advice (Raleigh / Wilmington)

Long time lurker, first time poster. 

My wife and I are being transferred for work to the great state of NC.  We have narrowed down our cities to either Raleigh/Durham or Wilmington.   I hate to admit it, but having a good golf club nearby is certainly a criteria high on my list. 

I am coming from Philadelphia where I've been a member at Applebrook (Gil Hanse) for 7 years as well as Philly Cricket.  Both of these courses are what I am looking for:  a great group of younger guys - emphasis on golf, top tier course, and emphasis on walking only.  I would be joining a club as a young professional under 35. 

The problem I am having is: I'm just not that familiar with NC courses - it seems as though the rankings are all over the place.    In Wilmington I've seen Eagle Point and Cape Fear - can anyone provide a more accurate "feel" of these clubs?    For Raleigh friends have told me Old Chatham would fit my vibe, but I'll be honest - I'm very hesitant given its ranked in the mid 50s on multiple sites in-state.  OC seems like a great place but i just don't understand why it would be ranked so low in multiple places.   Should I consider Raleigh Country Club?   What else?

Any help and insight into some of the clubs in these areas would be extremely helpful!   Thank you! 

Raleigh native here.. 

So much to consider here.. 

First off -- some of the clubs in NC will be off limits to a northerner coming down -- its one of those situations were it doesn't matter how much money you have; its "who is your family and who do you know".... Eagle point is awesome, super heavy on golf and amazing conditioning.. basically a mens golf club.. playground of the rich and famous of Charlotte and Raleigh that have homes on Figure Eight island.. 

The Raleigh clubs -- 

Carolina CC -- unless your family is a member, don't worry about it.. bad golf course.. more of a social scene than golf club..  great club house.. very old membership

Raleigh CC -- just now redoing its course.. was D. Ross's last course before he died.. cutting down a ton of trees and should be great when its done.. look into the whole McConnell golf club thing cause you can play a ton of clubs in the area with membership to one club.. RCC is only really golf.. terrible pool.. okay food.. ugly clubhouse.. but the golf is good.. 

**The McConnell thing is kind of unique and you can find something that you are looking for there -- farther north of raleigh is Wakefield (they have a Korn Ferry event there every year).. Treyburn is great, but basically in Durham.. 

North Ridge CC -- two courses that are in good shape, but I wouldn't call them  top tier courses.. good golfers.. every hole is surrounded by homes.. lots of walking and gets a ton of play (its a kinda oversold and can be hard to get a tee time) .. getting a younger membership.. more family oriented.. clubhouse is very dated.. 

Prestonwood CC -- huge club with probably >1000 members -- 54 holes -- have a senior tour even there every year -- Its in Cary (raleigh suburb) -- I personally think the courses are pretty boring layouts -- don't see alot of people walking the times that I have been there (but thats only twice)

Old Chatham -- another mens golf club that super focuses on golf.. good conditioning.. the kinda course you take a caddie and really try to get good at golf.. in the woods.. had a USGA event recently.. I too was surprised it was in the mid 50s in golf.. 

If location doesn't matter to you and you can work from anywhere -- keep in mind that Pinehurst is only like 1 hour from Raleigh -- you cant fall out of bed without landing on a good course around there.. Pinehurst is a blast, mid-pines, pine-needles, mid-south, tobacco road.. CCNC.. all amazing tracts.. 

39 minutes ago, kjmtthws said:

Raleigh native here.. 

First off -- some of the clubs in NC will be off limits to a northerner coming down -- its one of those situations were it doesn't matter how much money you have; its "who is your family and who do you know".... Eagle point is awesome, super heavy on golf and amazing conditioning.. basically a mens golf club.. playground of the rich and famous of Charlotte and Raleigh that have homes on Figure Eight island.. 

The Raleigh clubs -- 

Carolina CC -- unless your family is a member, don't worry about it.. bad golf course.. more of a social scene than golf club..  great club house.. very old membership

Raleigh CC -- just now redoing its course.. was D. Ross's last course before he died.. cutting down a ton of trees and should be great when its done.. look into the whole McConnell golf club thing cause you can play a ton of clubs in the area with membership to one club.. RCC is only really golf.. terrible pool.. okay food.. ugly clubhouse.. but the golf is good.. 

**The McConnell thing is kind of unique and you can find something that you are looking for there -- farther north of raleigh is Wakefield (they have a Korn Ferry event there every year).. Treyburn is great, but basically in Durham.. 

North Ridge CC -- two courses that are in good shape, but I wouldn't call them  top tier courses.. good golfers.. every hole is surrounded by homes.. lots of walking and gets a ton of play (its a kinda oversold and can be hard to get a tee time) .. getting a younger membership.. more family oriented.. clubhouse is very dated.. 

Prestonwood CC -- huge club with probably >1000 members -- 54 holes -- have a senior tour even there every year -- Its in Cary (raleigh suburb) -- I personally think the courses are pretty boring layouts -- don't see alot of people walking the times that I have been there (but thats only twice)

Old Chatham -- another mens golf club that super focuses on golf.. good conditioning.. the kinda course you take a caddie and really try to get good at golf.. in the woods.. had a USGA event recently.. I too was surprised it was in the mid 50s in golf.. 

If location doesn't matter to you and you can work from anywhere -- keep in mind that Pinehurst is only like 1 hour from Raleigh -- you cant fall out of bed without landing on a good course around there.. Pinehurst is a blast, mid-pines, pine-needles, mid-south, tobacco road.. CCNC.. all amazing tracts.. 

This is super helpful, and really appreciate you taking the time to respond. 

Have you asked the pro, club manager, or membership director at one of your clubs if they have any recommendations or can make any introductions?  A top guys at a place like Philly Cricket are going to have connections all over the country and can help grease the skids during these type of relocations.

6 minutes ago, burnsniper said:

Have you asked the pro, club manager, or membership director at one of your clubs if they have any recommendations or can make any introductions?  A top guys at a place like Philly Cricket are going to have connections all over the country and can help grease the skids during these type of relocations.

Haven’t gotten that far yet. Still trying to figure out which club would be my #1 or 2... but good suggestion once I can figure it out. 

The Raleigh list was pretty much spot on. TPC Wakefield and Briercreek are two others you may want to check out, but the kjm’s post hit the big ones.

Macgregor also has a decent course in Cary, and if you’ll go farther away the Governor’s Club between Raleigh and Chapel Hill is a huge club with multiple courses. Large houses, seems to be mostly retirees.

Country Club of Landfall should also be your Wilmington list. 27 Nicklaus designed holes, 18 by Dye. The Dye course is better IMO, but the Nicklaus is more scenic, bigger practice area, and by the main clubhouse. It’s a large development. All in one property, but both courses have separate practice areas and clubhouses. The pool / tennis / gym also have a separate clubhouse. 

Cape Fear is basically to Wilmington, what Carolina Country Club is to Raleigh. Better course though and maybe (maybe) a little less uppity.

Eagle Pointe is phenomenal, but view it as a golf club not country club. Most members aren’t local and visit when they’re at their second homes on Figure 8. Also, you won’t see as much there in terms of social, or non golf aspects (I.e. tennis or swimming)

10 minutes ago, golfday said:

The Raleigh list was pretty much spot on. TPC Wakefield and Briercreek are two others you may want to check out, but the kjm’s post hit the big ones.

Macgregor also has a decent course in Cary, and if you’ll go farther away the Governor’s Club between Raleigh and Chapel Hill is a huge club with multiple courses. Large houses, seems to be mostly retirees.

Country Club of Landfall should also be your Wilmington list. 27 Nicklaus designed holes, 18 by Dye. The Dye course is better IMO, but the Nicklaus is more scenic, bigger practice area, and by the main clubhouse. It’s a large development. All in one property, but both courses have separate practice areas and clubhouses. The pool / tennis / gym also have a separate clubhouse. 

Cape Fear is basically to Wilmington, what Carolina Country Club is to Raleigh. Better course though and maybe (maybe) a little less uppity.

Eagle Pointe is phenomenal, but view it as a golf club not country club. Most members aren’t local and visit when they’re at their second homes on Figure 8. Also, you won’t see as much there in terms of social, or non golf aspects (I.e. tennis or swimming)

Justin re read your post. Based on your age and desired vibe, I’d say North Ridge or Raleigh seem like your best bets in Raleigh. If Cary is more convenient for you, then maybe Prestonwood followed by Macgregor. I haven’t been to OC in a while, but from what I recall it’s the second club for most of their members.

In Wilmington, Cape Fear and Landfall are the only two good options. Living at the beach is awesome, and there are a lot of good perks to being there, but there aren’t going to be as many young guys to play with there. It’s a smaller town, less professional / corporate based economy.

Raleigh native here too and agree with kjmtthws 100%. Personally, I think Raleigh CC is the best course in the area, but not sure about the membership profile any more. Back before McConnell bought it (when they were in the process of going bk) it was a real players club. You'd assume anyone you happened to play with was single digit. RCC has recently been re-done by Kyle Franz (notably restored Mid Pines which is a great round). My bet is that RCC creeps up the top NC list in the coming years.

One not mentioned is Hope Valley over in Durham. It's in the oldest part of Durham so the few homes that are close to the course are old and some historic. Also a Donald Ross, not nearly as pristine as RCC or Old Chatham will be regularly.

I'm 34 and don't live in Raleigh anymore, but if I did and wanted to play with others that walk and finish in <4 hours, I would go with RCC. Initiation will be significantly less than your northern clubs (~$15,000 or around there) too. All the others except Old Chatham are family clubs with mediocre golf courses at best with pools / gyms / tennis courts which I have a feeling you're not going to be using.

I could go on, but in summary, sadly you aren't going to find many clubs that put golf #1 in the south. There are a few, but after living in New York for the past 6 years, nothing in NC comes close to the clubs on Long Island.

Good luck!

3 minutes ago, putterboy75 said:

Raleigh native here too and agree with kjmtthws 100%. Personally, I think Raleigh CC is the best course in the area, but not sure about the membership profile any more. Back before McConnell bought it (when they were in the process of going bk) it was a real players club. You'd assume anyone you happened to play with was single digit. RCC has recently been re-done by Kyle Franz (notably restored Mid Pines which is a great round). My bet is that RCC creeps up the top NC list in the coming years.

One not mentioned is Hope Valley over in Durham. It's in the oldest part of Durham so the few homes that are close to the course are old and some historic. Also a Donald Ross, not nearly as pristine as RCC or Old Chatham will be regularly.

I'm 34 and don't live in Raleigh anymore, but if I did and wanted to play with others that walk and finish in <4 hours, I would go with RCC. Initiation will be significantly less than your northern clubs (~$15,000 or around there) too. All the others except Old Chatham are family clubs with mediocre golf courses at best with pools / gyms / tennis courts which I have a feeling you're not going to be using.

I could go on, but in summary, sadly you aren't going to find many clubs that put golf #1 in the south. There are a few, but after living in New York for the past 6 years, nothing in NC comes close to the clubs on Long Island.

Good luck!

Thank you very much for taking the time to write this up, super helpful. 

On 2/22/2021 at 9:44 AM, Wedgegamestrong said:

Long time lurker, first time poster. 

My wife and I are being transferred for work to the great state of NC.  We have narrowed down our cities to either Raleigh/Durham or Wilmington.   I hate to admit it, but having a good golf club nearby is certainly a criteria high on my list. 

I am coming from Philadelphia where I've been a member at Applebrook (Gil Hanse) for 7 years as well as Philly Cricket.  Both of these courses are what I am looking for:  a great group of younger guys - emphasis on golf, top tier course, and emphasis on walking only.  I would be joining a club as a young professional under 35. 

The problem I am having is: I'm just not that familiar with NC courses - it seems as though the rankings are all over the place.    In Wilmington I've seen Eagle Point and Cape Fear - can anyone provide a more accurate "feel" of these clubs?    For Raleigh friends have told me Old Chatham would fit my vibe, but I'll be honest - I'm very hesitant given its ranked in the mid 50s on multiple sites in-state.  OC seems like a great place but i just don't understand why it would be ranked so low in multiple places.   Should I consider Raleigh Country Club?   What else?

Any help and insight into some of the clubs in these areas would be extremely helpful!   Thank you! 

If you go with Raleigh Country Club you get access to all the Mcconnell course which are awesome. I'm a member at Sedgefield in Greensboro and we have access to courses from from Tennessee to South Carolina.  Best part is you pay the same fee at those other courses you would at your home course.  They also just purchased a new course in Virginia that looks awesome. You get access to Sedgefield, Treyburn, and Old North State which are ranked as top 20 courses in the state!

I worked at Raleigh CC back in the late 80s-early 90s while at NC State. The club was not doing well financially , and the conditions were ok, but it was a great layout, and a blast to play. I'm very biased, but if I lived there, that would be at the top of my list. I enjoyed Mc Gregor, as well.

Edited by caniac6
  • Like 1

@Wedgegamestrong

Lots of good info here.  One big difference is these courses are open near year round and largely bermuda grass and dormant Nov-April.  You may/may not care for this and the coures look and play quite a bit different at different times of year.  

What I'd add on all the others

1. Def look at some of the Pinehurst options.  More of a golf focus, more walking, and could do a regional/national membership.  

2. Plenty may offer a trial period.

3. Lots of good semi-private/public clubs in the Raleigh area.  Finley(UNC course), Duke, others are good walking and good layouts.  Golf focused just not a private atmosphere.  May be a fraction of the cost and you could do this with a Pinehurst type membership.  

I'm more in the Charlotte area but us know if you're down in the Carolinas and looking for a group to play.

I used to be a member at Old Chatham for 6+ years. Resigned when I moved to SC permanently. Here are the pros of OC.

- Status: great for networking and meeting business leaders in Raleigh 

- Convenience: limited membership and easy to play quickly (I would check this because i have heard they have gotten busier recently) 

- Conditioning - course usually is in great shape throughout the year 

Cons:

- Cost - most expensive club by far in Raleigh 

- Not the most fun club, leadership is dominated by some who have a particular way you should act and behave 

- Course - amazing piece of property with an OK course. No memorable holes 

I would say that if i was back in the Raleigh area I would look at RCC since the redo and I would also explore Hasentree in North Raleigh. Very good golf course, good conditions, fun membership

Hope that helps.

Cape Fear is an excellent modern course.  Is is semi-private, so you can check it out 
a lot until you join.   

CF is south of Wilmington, NC, within the Brunswick Forest development.   

If you don't need to be too close to Wilmington, a option to live is in 
St James Plantation, where they have 4 courses for residents only.  
One course has 27 holes.      

What does everyone think about Hope Valley in Durham? Surprised it hasn't been mentioned as its a classic Ross design.  I played it ~3 months ago and loved the course layout & design but it does not drain well at all. Is in the older part of Durham so very few homes on the course and also very walkable. Par 3's are strong (especially the finisher which is 230 from the back straight up the hill to the Clubhouse.)

It sounds like everyone is steering away from North Ridge anyway, but I’ll add that there is currently an 9 month+ waiting list and initiation is going up to $45k. 

Chapel Hill Country Club is trying to fill all their spots this month - they were down to 4 last week - and is running some great deals right now. Most members walk out there. If I lived closer, I’d have already joined for sure.

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/27/2021 at 10:01 PM, ArtMBgolf said:

Cape Fear is an excellent modern course.  Is is semi-private, so you can check it out 
a lot until you join.   

CF is south of Wilmington, NC, within the Brunswick Forest development.   

If you don't need to be too close to Wilmington, a option to live is in 
St James Plantation, where they have 4 courses for residents only.  
One course has 27 holes.      

There's  Cape Fear CC in Wilmington, Donald Ross design and Cape Fear National in Leland, across the river, much newer layout. 

Agree on St. James. It has a variety of courses. I remember when they just had "The Gauntlet" ,now the Founder's course. Lol

Raleigh CC is great track especially with the Gil Hanse re-do. They have some strong players at the club. McConnell Golf does a very good job plus you have some access to their other courses. Old Chatham is a special place with a good vibe but it is golf only. Cape Fear is a great country club with a very good course, wonderful facilities, strong social membership. 

• 2 weeks later...

Been to Wilmington playing both eagle point and landfall. Eagle point is no question the best spot I’ve ever been to. But membership is on the lower side but that’s some years ago now. Most travel in to play there. It’s truly a great experience though. Landfall is also great with a more of a social life at the club. Also with 5 9’s that’s also a nice touch 

On 2/22/2021 at 5:00 PM, kjmtthws said:

Raleigh native here.. 

The Raleigh clubs -- 

A little late to the game here, but also a Raleigh native and couldn't agree more with KJ. 

Almost joined Prestonwood before someone told me it's absolutely slammed packed on the weekends and almost impossible to get a morning tee time (and have less than a 5 hour round). Not sure if any of that is true.  

Not sure if it would be the environment you are looking for OP, but I was at Devil's Ridge (Holly Springs) for a couple of years. Very diverse age group, a lot of walkers, and IMO great course. Weekend groups go out every morning.

Great practice facility, food was good when I was there, and dues were very manageable.