Buying a new rangefinder - what should I purchase?

Looking to gather thoughts on what rangefinders are available nowadays. There’s so many on Amazon and Instagram it’s hard to keep track of nowadays 

My Bushnell Pro X2 is giving me crazy distances and I’ve tried every fix there is. Slope switch isn’t working properly. I think it’s gone...

I’ve only ever had bushnell but I know there’s been a lot of talk about their customer service being horrible and the quality seeming to go downhill in recent years 

What does everything think the best options are on the market right now? I think the Tour V5 shift is at the top of my list at the moment 

Bushnell

Garmin

Precision Pro

Pinned

Leupold 

etc  

Titleist TSI3 - 8* - Fujikura Ventus Black 6x
Taylormade SIM Ti 3w - Fujikura Motore F1 8X
Taylormade SIM Ti 5w - Fujikura Ventus Black 9x

Taylormade 790 3 iron - Tensei White 100TX
Srixon 745 4-PW - Dynamic Gold Tour Issue X100 - SST Pure
Ping Glide 3.0 - 50SS - TI X100

Taylormade MG2 TW - 56 & 60 - TI S400
Putter - Who the He** knows

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I have the Bushnell Shift V5 and the Precision Pro NX9 Slope right now. Accuracy on both units is pretty much identical, even with the slope adjustment. I don't think they have been more than a yard a

To me, this is the key benefit of an image-stabilized rangefinder (mine is the original VR-equipped NIkon model from a few years back). Any decent rangefinder makes it easy to get the distance to our

I pulled the trigger on a Pro XE and have been using it for about a week. It’s been really good. I like the added benefits of it to make notes in my yardage book for when I have to turn that feature o

Posted Images

I have the Bushnell Shift V5 and the Precision Pro NX9 Slope right now. Accuracy on both units is pretty much identical, even with the slope adjustment. I don't think they have been more than a yard apart when comparing head to head. Both lock onto the target well and give the jolt to let you know you hit the flag and not the tree 50yds behind the green. I give the slight edge of speed, and I mean not even .5 sec, to the precision pro. The Bushnell's LCD is a little brighter and clearer but both are very easy to read. For the price I think it is hard to beat the NX9 Slope. 

Had a Leupold GX-5i3 for years and the LCD started to fade out last year. Was a solid unit and crazy accurate, but I don't really need measurements to the tenth of a yard. Downside was that it was older and didn't have the vibrating target or magnetic mount features. Was also much heavier than the other 2.

• Like 4

1785212142_CJPSignatureV2.png.8a958a3abbd6c7ef38ba6ca84d08fb97.png

Instagram  |  iTunes  |  SoundCloud  |  Spotify

I've had a Leupold for the better part of 6 years now and its been wonderful. The screen is crystal clear and the numbers were fantastic, but its finally starting to give me some issues. The one thing I really like about it is the red display. Especially if you play when it can get to be low light or cloudy, the red really pops off the backgrounds. I'll be starting my hunt for a few one for this upcoming season shortly. 

I have the Nikon Pro CoolShot for 2 years now. Excellent unit but pricey. I think it's still around $450. Lightweight, quick and accurate. Red LED cross hairs and when it hits the pin a large bright green circle appears around the cross hairs.

Buddy of mine is looking for a little less expensive unit so I picked up the Golf Buddy aim L10 in the PGATSS today. Nice unit with slope and a vibration/jolt when it locks on. Supposedly accurate to 1 yard. $279 in PGATSS, $199 on eBay and elsewhere.

Want more posters to read and reply ? "[EMBRACE] THE LINE BREAK"

Callaway Epic Flash SZ Triple Diamond 9.0 Tour AD TP-6 Stiff

Ping G400 hybrid, 19*, 70 gr Stock Stiff

Ping G20, 5-PW, DGS300

Ping Glide Forged, 48, 52, 60, DGS300

Vokey SM8 56/08 (Thanks WRX !!!)

Seemore MT7 Face Balanced (Today)

Chrome Soft Truvis Yellow/Black

Friend of mine has the precision pro with slope, it doesn’t pick up the flag very well. In fact at times it’s really bad. I prefer my older bushnell although distances are the same. Personally, really like the cheap one off amazon by woosports bought one for $80 includes slope and the numbers are almost identically to the bushnell. I put this in my travel bag to take with me when I go play other places and keep the bushnell in my 

TM Sim Ventus Blue Velocore 6x
Ping G410 plus 3 wood Ventus Blue Velocore 7x
TM Sim 5 wood Ventus Blue Velocore 8x
Mizuno MP20 Nippon Modus 120
Odyssey Stroke Lab Double Wide
Vokeys SM6 52,56 SM7 60
[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/940075-davids-bag-and-golf-room/"]WITB Link[/url]

Another vote for the Nikon Pro CoolShot. Had mine for over 2 years now and no issues. Point and shoot with instant numbers.

DRIVER -    Taylor Made Sim 2 - 9* | 🔥🔥KHT AUTOFLEX SF505🔥🔥
3 WD -        Taylor Made Sim Max 14* | Ventus Red Regular 
HYBRIDS-   PXG Gen 2 -  2/3/4 | Accra Tour 100i Stiff
IRONS -       PXG Gen 3 -  0311XP 5 - GW | Accra Tour 90i Stiff
WEDGES -  Ping Stealth Glide 2.0 54-12 / 58-06 Wedges | Wedge Flex
GRIPS -       JUMBOMAX XL ULTRALIGHT grips on ALL 
PUTTER -   PXG ☠️One and Done☠️w/JUMBOMAX 17" FLAT
BAG -           PXG Staff Bag
BALLS -       Snell MTB Black / Pro V1

I’ve actually owned the Nikon Coolshot Pro Stabilized. Best optics by far IMO but I hated the stabilization feature 

I guess it depends on what you want it to do.  I'm very happy with my Nikon Coolshot 20, but it is a straight-forward distance-only rangefinder, which is all I care that it does.  Certainly allows you to save some money for other golf expenses.  Have had it for a couple of years now.  I had a lower-end Bushnell that crapped out after about 2 years when it got a little wet in a sudden downpour, but I did keep the case to hold the Nikon, because I liked it better than the Nikon case.

Edited by jordan2240
17 hours ago, osubuckeyes691 said:

Looking to gather thoughts on what rangefinders are available nowadays. There’s so many on Amazon and Instagram it’s hard to keep track of nowadays 

My Bushnell Pro X2 is giving me crazy distances and I’ve tried every fix there is. Slope switch isn’t working properly. I think it’s gone...

I’ve only ever had bushnell but I know there’s been a lot of talk about their customer service being horrible and the quality seeming to go downhill in recent years 

What does everything think the best options are on the market right now? I think the Tour V5 shift is at the top of my list at the moment 

Bushnell

Garmin

Precision Pro

Pinned

Leupold 

etc  

For what it’s worth, I visited Bandon this past October and with the Fog my bushnell couldn’t pull yardages, but my caddie was able to with the Leupold and he said that was the laser of choice for caddies there.

• Like 2
11 hours ago, avidgolfer23 said:

For what it’s worth, I visited Bandon this past October and with the Fog my bushnell couldn’t pull yardages, but my caddie was able to with the Leupold and he said that was the laser of choice for caddies there.

That's a great recommendation. I never really thought to factor that in. I don't typically play in fog, but I do play through rain, which they also get plenty of, and that can mess around with it also. I think I'll end up with another Leupold. 

18 hours ago, avidgolfer23 said:

Leupold is finally releasing a new rangefinder in March. It’s on their website now. Has some additional features, one of which is fog mode 

On 2/24/2021 at 6:38 AM, osubuckeyes691 said:

Leupold is finally releasing a new rangefinder in March. It’s on their website now. Has some additional features, one of which is fog mode 

From Leopold Manual: The Fog Mode can be used in foggy/rainy conditions to screen out false readings from raindrops or other atmospheric interference to provide an accurate range. Fog Mode changes the algorithm to look for the “last” target. To increase ranging accuracy always range the ground around the pin/flag when Fog Mode is on.

How cool is that????

• Like 1

Can't tell you what to purchase, just what I rely on.  A Garmin Approach Z82 GPS & Laser and Garmin Fenix 5X watch with 40k courses, they work very well together.  

The Garmin Approach z82 has a lot of worthwhile functionality, but comes with a learning curve and hefty price tag.  Once those are overcome, it does a great job.   Last few weekends I played with 3-guys each had a Golf watch on, including me with the Fenix 5x.  However, every time I reached for Approach z82 to laser a yardage, others asked for a quick reading to something.

What's that tell ya.... Good golfers want certain details, and it's not likely even my 5X can provide all details as accurately and quickly as Approach Z82.   

Edited by Pepperturbo
Dyslexic typing errors, grr.
  • Like 1
  • Titleist TS2 9.5', Ventus 5 "S"
  • Titleist TS2 16', Ventus 7 "S"
  • Titleist 718 T-MB 17' 2i "S"
  • Titleist 620 Series 3i-PW "S"
  • SM6 F-52/8 "S"
  • SM6 M-58/8 "S"
  • SC CA Monterey
  • ProV1x, AVX, ProV1
15 hours ago, bap1130 said:

From Leopold Manual: The Fog Mode can be used in foggy/rainy conditions to screen out false readings from raindrops or other atmospheric interference to provide an accurate range. Fog Mode changes the algorithm to look for the “last” target. To increase ranging accuracy always range the ground around the pin/flag when Fog Mode is on.

How cool is that????

It will be interesting to see how this actually works during foggy conditions when trying to measure a flagstick.  

I have a Precision Pro NX7 and quite happy with it, no real complaints about it at all. Would definitely upgrade it to an NX9 or better in the future. 

As for the Leopold that fog mode sounds interesting, but would need to see how it works first but sounds too good to be true honestly. 

• Like 1

Lefty

Driver: 9° Ping G410 Plus - Tour 65S

3W: 13.5° Ping G410 LST - Aldila NV 2KXV Green 75X

3H: 19° Ping G410 - Tensei CK Pro Orange 90TX

Irons: 4i - 7i Srixon 585 / 8i - PW Srixon 785 - AMT Tour White S300

Wedges: 51° MD3 - 56° Glide 2 - 60° PM2

Putter(s): TP Mills Handmade - Kingdom Putter - SIK Pro Tour Proto - and more. 

WITB Thread

The actual technology that measures distances probably hasn't improved that much over the years.  All the new devices have are more bells and whistles.

It doesn't really matter what you buy.  It's probably going to work well enough.

I use mine (a Nikon) once or twice a round and on the driving range. 

I can't see spending a lot of $ on a new one.  

8 minutes ago, Lobby said:

The actual technology that measures distances probably hasn't improved that much over the years.  All the new devices have are more bells and whistles.

It doesn't really matter what you buy.  It's probably going to work well enough.

I use mine (a Nikon) once or twice a round and on the driving range. 

I can't see spending a lot of $ on a new one.  

You only use your RF once or twice a round ???

Anyway, I saw a new one on the counter the other day, a Golf Buddy AIM L10. Tried it out and it not only has slope but "pin lock on" vibration as well.

Half the price of the more expensive units at $199. If I didn't already have the Nikon I'd give it a try.

Ping G20, 5-PW, DGS300

5 hours ago, MattM97 said:

I have a Precision Pro NX7 and quite happy with it, no real complaints about it at all. Would definitely upgrade it to an NX9 or better in the future. 

As for the Leopold that fog mode sounds interesting, but would need to see how it works first but sounds too good to be true honestly. 

Agree. When I saw "last target" I thought it would never catch a flag with any trees, mounds, clubhouses, etc. behind the green.  Time will tell.  

26 minutes ago, cristphoto said:

Agree. When I saw "last target" I thought it would never catch a flag with any trees, mounds, clubhouses, etc. behind the green.  Time will tell.  

I use a pretty much top of the line rangefinder/laser meant for forestry work/surveying and that doesn't perform in certain weather conditions. Hard to see how a golf rangefinder can overcome that and be accurate. 

Lefty

Driver: 9° Ping G410 Plus - Tour 65S

3W: 13.5° Ping G410 LST - Aldila NV 2KXV Green 75X

3H: 19° Ping G410 - Tensei CK Pro Orange 90TX

Irons: 4i - 7i Srixon 585 / 8i - PW Srixon 785 - AMT Tour White S300

Wedges: 51° MD3 - 56° Glide 2 - 60° PM2

Putter(s): TP Mills Handmade - Kingdom Putter - SIK Pro Tour Proto - and more. 

WITB Thread

On 2/26/2021 at 10:33 AM, nsxguy said:

You only use your RF once or twice a round ???

Anyway, I saw a new one on the counter the other day, a Golf Buddy AIM L10. Tried it out and it not only has slope but "pin lock on" vibration as well.

Half the price of the more expensive units at $199. If I didn't already have the Nikon I'd give it a try.

Yeah.  Just once or twice a round.   

I prefer gps yardages.   Most courses I play have gps electronics in their carts.   On courses that don't, I use the GolfShot app.  

GPS is much faster.  I feel like I'm holding up play when I use a laser.

• Like 1
28 minutes ago, Lobby said:

Yeah.  Just once or twice a round.   

I prefer gps yardages.   Most courses I play have gps electronics in their carts.   On courses that don't, I use the GolfShot app.  

GPS is much faster.  I feel like I'm holding up play when I use a laser.

Well, it takes roughly 10 seconds total to use the RF and put it back in its place. And since I can usually shoot the pin/objects before it's my turn to hit I'm not wasting any time anyway.

But 6 months or so ago I got a Garmin S20 watch, mostly to get the yardage to the back or front of the green so as to know how much room I had past, or in front of, the pin an still be on the green.

First hole I used the watch to a back pin it told me 162 to the back of the green (regular shaped, more or less round). I shot the flag with my RF and got 167. Watch went on eBay the next day.

My RF is supposedly accurate to 1 yard. Most GPS devices I've seen are in the 4 yard range. And that assumes the mapping is correct in the first place.

Oh well, different strokes and all. shrug.gif

• Like 1

Ping G20, 5-PW, DGS300

Do any of you have experience with the MG rangefinder? It has regular distance and slope adjusted modes. Website says accurate within 2 yard up to 600 yard range. Only $99. I've had good experience with MG gloves and know people who like their golf balls but don't know anyone who has their range finder

21 hours ago, sabram said:

Do any of you have experience with the MG rangefinder? It has regular distance and slope adjusted modes. Website says accurate within 2 yard up to 600 yard range. Only $99. I've had good experience with MG gloves and know people who like their golf balls but don't know anyone who has their range finder

At $99 I might question the quality and longevity of the unit.  However good news is most laser technology will give similar numbers.  

• 3 weeks later...

I personally like the Precision Pro NX9.  It gives me all I want in regards to accuracy.  I like the rangefinders better than GPS cause I like to pick what I'm wanting yardages from, not just the target.  I use it all the time.  I cover this unit in depth in my review below.  Hope it helps!

https://teeprecision.com/precision-pro-nx9-review/

• Like 1
On 2/22/2021 at 9:17 PM, nsxguy said:

I have the Nikon Pro CoolShot for 2 years now. Excellent unit but pricey. I think it's still around $450. Lightweight, quick and accurate. Red LED cross hairs and when it hits the pin a large bright green circle appears around the cross hairs.

Buddy of mine is looking for a little less expensive unit so I picked up the Golf Buddy aim L10 in the PGATSS today. Nice unit with slope and a vibration/jolt when it locks on. Supposedly accurate to 1 yard. $279 in PGATSS, $199 on eBay and elsewhere.

I just got the Nikon. Awesome unit 

• Thanks 1