Buying a new rangefinder - what should I purchase?

Moved from an older Bushnell to Nikon Pro CoolShot for this season. Loving the Nikon so far. Second to none out of those that I've tried.

• Thanks 1

Taylormade Stealth 2 Plus - 9* Fujikura Ventus TR Black 6x  

Taylormade Stealth 2 - 16.5* Fujikura Ventus TR Blue 7x  

Taylormade Stealth 2 - 21* Fujikura Ventus TR Blue 8x  
Ping I20 (4 - GW) - KBS Tour 130 X-Stiff 130g  
Titleist Vokey SM4 Nickel - 56.14 - KBS Tour X-Stiff 130g  
Titleist Vokey SM4 Nickel - 60.10 - KBS Tour X-Stiff 130g  
Titleist Scotty Phantom X 7  

Titleist Pro V1 Ball | NO1 50-PRO Grips | Nikon Coolshot Pro II Rangefinder

I pulled the trigger on a Pro XE and have been using it for about a week. It’s been really good. I like the added benefits of it to make notes in my yardage book for when I have to turn that feature off 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Stealth Plus+ 10.5* || Ventus Blue TR 7x

SIM2 Rescue 17* || Ventus Blue HB 8x

X-Forged UT 18* || MMT UT 105tx

TSi2 21* || Ventus Black HB 10tx

T100/620MB 5-9 || DG X7

SM9 47 || DG X7

SM9 51, 55, 59 || DG X1

BB8 Tri Wiz Cu Insert || BGT Stability Tour

Bettinardi BKS #1

Got an NX9 about a month ago, and it's worked great for me.  Can't beat the cost, magnetic side is strong and useful.  For me, coming from an older Bushnell, I could not justify spending $200+ more for a new Busnhell vs the NX9.

• Like 1

Cobra LTDx LS 10.5* // LA Golf DJ Series 65 (5)
TM Stealth Plus 13.5* // Ventus Black 6x
Callaway Uwood 19* // Ventus Blue 7s
4i - Callaway Rogue ST Pro // Mitsubishi MMT 105tx

5i-PW - NCW // Mitsubishi MMT 105tx
Vokey SM8 52.12F S300
Vokey SM8 56.14F S200
Vokey SM8 60.14K S200
Odyssey 2 ball ten
Callaway Chrome Soft X LS

Last fall I bought the Caddytech at costco.com. $130 with (optional) slope.

This works as good if not better than my Bushnell V2, and far better than my old Nikon ever did.

I've dropped it several times and it still works lightning fast and is uber accurate.

Why pay (hundreds) more for another rangefinder?

https://www.costco.com/caddytek-golf-laser-rangefinder%2c-caddyview-v2-%2bslope.product.100419508.html

Someone told me they're even cheaper on Amazon.

Edited by Hateto3Putt
speeling

X________________________________ Sign Here

I have had the same Leupold unit for the better part of 12 years now and have never had an issue.  It has no jolt or slope, but it gives me the accurate distance I need to pins, trees, lips of bunkers etc.  I have changed the battery a few times and purchased magnetic strap for when I'm in a cart, still going strong.  When it does come time to replace it I will most likely buy another Leupold.

• Like 1

Hey guys, sorry for seeing this thread late. There are a lot of great options out there for rangefinders and gps. If anyone has any questions just tag me. In the meantime make sure to check out our social and be on the lookout for some exciting things coming from us. I'll drop a discount below if you want to join the Precision Pro team!

Use promo code GOLFWRX you will receive $20 off. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Precision Pro Golf said:

Hey guys, sorry for seeing this thread late. There are a lot of great options out there for rangefinders and gps. If anyone has any questions just tag me. In the meantime make sure to check out our social and be on the lookout for some exciting things coming from us. I'll drop a discount below if you want to join the Precision Pro team!

Use promo code GOLFWRX you will receive $20 off. 

Excited to see more info about the R1!

• Like 1

Titleist TSR2 - TPT Nitro 16lo
Taylormade SIM Ti 3w - Tensei 1k Black 85tx
Taylormade SIM Ti 5w - Fujikura Ventus Black 9x

Cobra Tec Hybrid 2 - Kai'li 90tx

Cobra Tec Hybrid 4 - Aldila Tour Black 105tx
Srixon ZX5/ZX& Mkii 5-PW - Project X 6.5

Callaway Jaws Raw 50s, 54s, 58z - BGT ZNE 130

Putter - LAB something or another

On 3/22/2021 at 10:17 AM, Hateto3Putt said:

This works as good if not better than my Bushnell V2, and far better than my old Nikon ever did.

I've dropped it several times and it still works lightning fast and is uber accurate.

https://www.costco.com/caddytek-golf-laser-rangefinder%2c-caddyview-v2-%2bslope.product.100419508.html

How does one know if their RF is "uber accurate" ?

I find that most RFs work pretty quickly so speed, IMO, isn't an issue. Slope is nice but I never use it.

I find the "jolt", or on my Nikon, the green circle, a nice to have to confirm you've got the flag.

But accuracy and the ability to "lock on"/confirm you've got the flag are the 2 most important items to me.

Just the other day, after a really good drive downwind and a lucky cart path bounce I had 167 to a front pin on a par 5. After I stopped "flexing" for the group :classic_laugh:  I shot the flag at 167, and was still surprised I was so close. I'm pulling my 6 iron and 2 other guys in my group shot the flag at 190+, several times.

I shot it a few more times myself and kept getting 167. That was the correct number. They were clearly getting something past the green.

Another problem with the $$$. One never knows how durable a unit is. Bouncing around in one of the cup holders in the cart, or even while in the golf bag in the trunk of the car.

One unit you can drop on a cart path several dozen times and nothing happens while another one bumps the padded dining room table and it's done. TEAR HAIR.gif

Will it last a year ? Or 10 ? Who knows ? Only time will tell.

I bought a Bushnell Z6 around 2012 when it was current. Used it for 7 years until I bought my Nikon as a Christmas present to myself 2 years ago and just recently sold the Z6 to a buddy for $75. 9 years old and still going strong. clappy.gif

Callaway Epic Flash SZ 9.0 Ventus Blue 6S

Ping G425 14.5 Fairway Tour AD TP 6X

Ping G425 MAX 20.5 7 wood Diamana Blue 70 S

Titleist 716 AP-1  5-PW, DGS300

Ping Glide Forged, 48, DGS300

Taylormade MG3 52*, 56*, TW 60* DGS200

LAB Mezz Max 34*, RED, BGT Stability

Titleist Pro V1X

Oh, and by-the-by, for the friend of mine who wanted me to find him a reasonably priced unit I found the Golf Buddy AIM L10 I referred to on Page 1 for $95 on eBay in "As new" condition.

And that's exactly how I got it. Couldn't tell it from new.

Tried it out before I gave it to my friend when he came back down to SoFla last week and it was just as accurate as my $450 Nikon.

• Like 1

Titleist Pro V1X

+1 on the Precision Pro NX9

Love the Magnetic grip

And free Battery replacement doesn't hurt 

• Like 1

Driver -Cobra RadSpeed 9*

5 Wood - PING G425 16*

Hybrid  PING G410 22*

Irons - PING G400 5-UW

Wedges - Cleveland Zipcore CBX 54* ; Cleveland CBX Zipcore Full Face 58*

Putter - PXG Battle Ready Closer-34"

Ball- Wilson Triad 

On 3/23/2021 at 10:43 AM, nsxguy said:

How does one know if their RF is "uber accurate" ?

I find that most RFs work pretty quickly so speed, IMO, isn't an issue. Slope is nice but I never use it.

I find the "jolt", or on my Nikon, the green circle, a nice to have to confirm you've got the flag.

But accuracy and the ability to "lock on"/confirm you've got the flag are the 2 most important items to me.

Just the other day, after a really good drive downwind and a lucky cart path bounce I had 167 to a front pin on a par 5. After I stopped "flexing" for the group :classic_laugh:  I shot the flag at 167, and was still surprised I was so close. I'm pulling my 6 iron and 2 other guys in my group shot the flag at 190+, several times.

I shot it a few more times myself and kept getting 167. That was the correct number. They were clearly getting something past the green.

Another problem with the $$$. One never knows how durable a unit is. Bouncing around in one of the cup holders in the cart, or even while in the golf bag in the trunk of the car.

One unit you can drop on a cart path several dozen times and nothing happens while another one bumps the padded dining room table and it's done. TEAR HAIR.gif

Will it last a year ? Or 10 ? Who knows ? Only time will tell.

I bought a Bushnell Z6 around 2012 when it was current. Used it for 7 years until I bought my Nikon as a Christmas present to myself 2 years ago and just recently sold the Z6 to a buddy for $75. 9 years old and still going strong. clappy.gif

I know it's "uber" accurate based on a few things: course experience, comparisons to friends lasers, and comparisons to my own GPS numbers. If all those are showing (almost) identical information I'm safely assuming my data is good.

This caddytek does have the "jolt" feature when it locks on the pin. It vibrates when locked.

I agree with you opinion on the speed, I've never had a problem with the time needed to get the information. However, reading these boards, it seems so many guys (especially the gps crowd)  find a millisecond an issue. I can get every number needed (flag, bunker carry, etc.) almost immediately.

As far as durability, you're right, the jury is still out on this particular unit. I can tell you this though, I abuse just about everything I touch. In the 8 months or so I've had this device I've dropped it at least 3 or 4 times. I also use a magnetic mount (which is fabulous BTW) that attaches to the cart windshield post and drive the cart like it's stolen. So far this laser has taken it like a champ.

Will it last 10 years? I have no idea. I do know if it broke tomorrow, I would buy another one in a second. 

I could also take it back to Costco for a full refund, but being a "goes around comes around" Karma guy, I would not do that.

As to the slope feature, I've played in your state of Florida many times, and can understand why slope is a non issue for you. Bring your sticks to the mountainous terrain of western Pennsylvania and I think you'll appreciate the additional data. We have a par 3 measuring 145, slopes to about 85. My California friend swears there's not a flat shot or level lie anywhere in the state.

I have my V2 in my backup bag, after 5 years of abuse (see above) it started to wonk out. I think that one cost me $300+.

Again, this one costs $129 (cheaper on Amazon) and IMO is worth every penny.

Edited by Hateto3Putt
add white space :)
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, 8602081 said:

I have precision pro, which I like a lot.. but if I were to get a new one..

I would get Nikon with image stabilization..  Makes it so much easier to shoot the flag..

The new Leupold GX-6C will also have image stabilization

2 hours ago, Hateto3Putt said:

I know it's "uber" accurate based on a few things: course experience, comparisons to friends lasers, and comparisons to my own GPS numbers. If all those are showing (almost) identical information I'm safely assuming my data is good.

This caddytek does have the "jolt" feature when it locks on the pin. It vibrates when locked.

I agree with you opinion on the speed, I've never had a problem with the time needed to get the information. However, reading these boards, it seems so many guys (especially the gps crowd)  find a millisecond an issue. I can get every number needed (flag, bunker carry, etc.) almost immediately.

As far as durability, you're right, the jury is still out on this particular unit. I can tell you this though, I abuse just about everything I touch. In the 8 months or so I've had this device I've dropped it at least 3 or 4 times. I also use a magnetic mount (which is fabulous BTW) that attaches to the cart windshield post and drive the cart like it's stolen. So far this laser has taken it like a champ.

Will it last 10 years? I have no idea. I do know if it broke tomorrow, I would buy another one in a second. 

I could also take it back to Costco for a full refund, but being a "goes around comes around" Karma guy, I would not do that.

As to the slope feature, I've played in your state of Florida many times, and can understand why slope is a non issue for you. Bring your sticks to the mountainous terrain of western Pennsylvania and I think you'll appreciate the additional data. We have a par 3 measuring 145, slopes to about 85. My California friend swears there's not a flat shot or level lie anywhere in the state.

I have my V2 in my backup bag, after 5 years of abuse (see above) it started to wonk out. I think that one cost me $300+.

Again, this one costs $129 (cheaper on Amazon) and IMO is worth every penny.

"Course experience" ??? Duuuuuuude !!! shocked.gif

Comparing with other rfs ? Ok, fair enough.

Comparing to GPS ? Nope, not me.

Haven't read the poop on GPS nowadays but I seem to recall them being +/- 3-4 yards. Good enough for many purposes but not for the flag on the green. Maybe they're better now ?

A couple of years ago I tried the Garmin S20 watch. Got it specifically to check out back flags because often my RF couldn't see how much area there was past the flag and/or off the back of the green.

Very first back flag I checked. My RF said 167 to the flag. My Garmin gave me 160 to the back edge of the green. Watch went on eBay the next day. help sos.gif

As for using slope, yup, here in Florida everything is as flat as,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, but regardless, if you're using the slope feature, the round shouldn't be posted for handicap purposes. Not so ?

Or do you and your buddies not care about slope so long as everyone can/is using it as well ?

But whatever works. high five.gif

Titleist Pro V1X

2 hours ago, nsxguy said:

Did you just duuuuuuude me? 🤣

Anyway you're right, this thread is about whatever works, and this rangefinder flat out does for me.

I've been a "laser guy" forever, I've owned and used probably 6 or 7 models, most of them Bushnells, a Nikon and a Callaway. Absolutely have spent well over $1,000 combined, hell the first one was the Bushnell 400 (I think?), it cost me $400 and this was when $400 was a lot of money.

The OP was looking for opinions, that was mine.

Why you want to disagree and line item my thoughts is beyond me.

42 minutes ago, Hateto3Putt said:

Did you just duuuuuuude me? 🤣

Anyway you're right, this thread is about whatever works, and this rangefinder flat out does for me.

I've been a "laser guy" forever, I've owned and used probably 6 or 7 models, most of them Bushnells, a Nikon and a Callaway. Absolutely have spent well over $1,000 combined, hell the first one was the Bushnell 400 (I think?), it cost me $400 and this was when $400 was a lot of money.

The OP was looking for opinions, that was mine.

Why you want to disagree and line item my thoughts is beyond me.

It's a discussion board.

I was simply "discussing".  :classic_biggrin:

Agreed ? 👍

X____nsxguy_____________________ Sign Here

Titleist Pro V1X

On 3/26/2021 at 11:58 AM, nsxguy said:

Comparing with other rfs ? Ok, fair enough.

Comparing to GPS ? Nope, not me.

Haven't read the poop on GPS nowadays but I seem to recall them being +/- 3-4 yards. Good enough for many purposes but not for the flag on the green. Maybe they're better now ?

A couple of years ago I tried the Garmin S20 watch. Got it specifically to check out back flags because often my RF couldn't see how much area there was past the flag and/or off the back of the green.

Very first back flag I checked. My RF said 167 to the flag. My Garmin gave me 160 to the back edge of the green. Watch went on eBay the next day. help sos.gif

As for using slope, yup, here in Florida everything is as flat as,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, but regardless, if you're using the slope feature, the round shouldn't be posted for handicap purposes. Not so ?

Or do you and your buddies not care about slope so long as everyone can/is using it as well ?

A couple of weeks ago I played with a guy who used a Bushnell XE and me with my S62 and "Plays like" enabled. Damn close all day and we would compare every hole. Granted, a rangefinder is way more versatile at finding various hazard distances way more quickly! He also he used a older Garmin Watch as well ( no need with his rangefinder but hey, we all have weird stuff we do). 

I have gone through at least a dozen rangefinders and several GPS units and the Nikon Coolshot Pro Stabilized is the best one yet.  It is really easy to get a measurement to literally ANY spot you want, a small mound, even a spot on the green that isn’t the pin and my favorite is when I pull up to my partners short drive, I can measure how much mine is ahead of his!  I like the idea of a Garmin watch and tried one, but they aren’t accurate enough, sometimes the distance is off by 9 yards depending on flag position.  Even though I am only a 15 hcp, that is just too much error for this former engineer.

Edited by CaymanS

12* Paradym X

16* SIM2 MAX-D

19* SIM2 MAX-D

24* Paradym super hybrid

- 6~GW '23 Great Big Bertha for regular use

- 6~GW Apex DCB for occasional use 

ChipR

54* Glide 4.0 WS

58* Glide 4.0 EYE2

Scotty GoLo 6

Has anyone had their hands on the new Leupold GX-2C and tested it out? I'm on my second PP NX7 Slope and still having issues with it ranging flags on overcast days, which are pretty prevalent up here in the PNW, and was intrigued by this new model from Leupold.

Went down to Bandon late February, and all of the caddies we had in our group used Leupold, with no issues ranging. Pretty frustrating when my own rangefinder worked probably 25% of the time, and we had some great weather while down there.

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

2 minutes ago, msulliv7 said:

Has anyone had their hands on the new Leupold GX-2C and tested it out? I'm on my second PP NX7 Slope and still having issues with it ranging flags on overcast days, which are pretty prevalent up here in the PNW, and was intrigued by this new model from Leupold.

Went down to Bandon late February, and all of the caddies we had in our group used Leupold, with no issues ranging. Pretty frustrating when my own rangefinder worked probably 25% of the time, and we had some great weather while down there.

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

I’d love to hear new info about the Leupold Gx series but there’s literally no info out there except for the thread that I started on this site that has all of the new product sell in decks

Recently got a Golf Buddy Laser Lite as a backup to my Bushnell Pro X2.  Yardage reading are same most of the time or within a yard at most.  It vibrates when it locks in and has slope function too.  Best bang for buck at $129.98

https://www.amazon.com/Golf-Buddy-Laser-Lite-Magnification/dp/B08PJGXDF8/ref=sr_1_2_sspa

Edited by theadvocate_ivan

Callaway Epic Flash Subzero Double Diamond Ventus TR Blue 6S tipped 1.5"

Callaway Epic Flash Subzero 15* bonded Ventus TR Blue 7S tipped 1.25"

Callaway Rogue Sub Zero 20* Ventus TR Blue 8S tipped 1.5"

Epon AF Tour 4-PW Modus 105 Stiff
Cleveland RTX6 Zipcore 51, 55, 59 Modus 115 and 125 Wedge Shaft

Byron Morgan 612 GSS

On 3/31/2021 at 6:11 PM, CaymanS said:

I have gone through at least a dozen rangefinders and several GPS units and the Nikon Coolshot Pro Stabilized is the best one yet.  It is really easy to get a measurement to literally ANY spot you want, a small mound, even a spot on the green that isn’t the pin and my favorite is when I pull up to my partners short drive, I can measure how much mine is ahead of his!

To me, this is the key benefit of an image-stabilized rangefinder (mine is the original VR-equipped NIkon model from a few years back). Any decent rangefinder makes it easy to get the distance to our prism-equipped flags from 160 yards or whatever. But without the image stabilization, there's no way to reliably range the edge of a bunker, the edge of a water hazard, etc. 

Each round I have at least a few shots (usually more) where I need to carry a bunker or pond and I can't see visually how far beyond the hazard the flag is located. If it's 140 to the flag and the carry is 130 that's a very different shot than if it's 140 to the flag and the carry is 110. The stabilized Nikon makes it trivial to range the bunker lip or bank of the pond or creek.

I also like how my Nikon can reliably give me distances to the flag (again, ours or prism equipped) from 400 or 500 yards away. It's nice knowing before you even tee off where the flag is front, middle or back of the green. That's not really a super-valuable feature but it's nice.

FWIW, I got mine a little over 4 years ago and paid $299. I figure that's in the neighborhood of 50 cents per round (or about 2 cents per distance rangefindered!) so I've gotten my money's worth. Still going strong although, being white, it looks a little funky from several summers of being handled by my sweaty mitts.

Edited by North Butte
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

3 minutes ago, dylanl said:

Does anyone know where you can even buy the new Leupold GX-2C? My rangefinder died on the course yesterday and this is the one I'd like to go with. I can't find it anywhere online. 

I think they're available June 1

On 3/22/2021 at 10:17 AM, Hateto3Putt said:

Now on sale at Costco for 99.99. Really thinking about it now.