Finau Driver Swing/Distance.

It amazes me how far Tony hits driver with his short back swing. This is a still from a video of his drive at 18 on Sunday at Riviera. Captured at the very top of his backswing. It’s almost as if he’s laying up with driver and he still averages 306 yards! The club head speed he generates with that short swing is astonishing. 

D973C1C4-9ADD-4B72-AFED-9B2F37F09C13.jpeg

Edited by TIScape
  • Like 1
  • Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Longest on tour if he wanted to be

Hey, when you grow up sharing a $1 iron with your brother and sleeping in your car starving,   Going pro at 17 to take care of Mom is pretty understandable.   Not like he has the l

Lol.  Didn’t say Tony was better.  Just that Tony not trying is longer than Bryson eating 40lbs of peanut butter a day , and lifting 47 hours a week.     Long drive contest , Tony eats his lunc

Posted Images

His swing is fun to watch. One thing I have noticed about a lot of big hitters is the forward hand position like Finau's and then turning the left hand over immediately during the takeaway. DJ Johnson, John Daly, Mike Austin and quite a few long drivers use(d) this technique. I use it when I'm swinging my best and hope to have it mastered sometime soon. I have tried everything like the one piece takeaway but I just can't make it work and feel relaxed too.

• Like 1

Macgregor M38 SK Fiber 85g X, i-Drive 2h Accuflex 82g X, Acer XV Tour/Pro 4i-S, FST 115 SX, TM TPA X

What does all this prove ? :classic_blink:

That you don't need to get the driver (or any club PHIL) back to parallel to generate max speed ?

Take a look at Matt Wolff. Barely gets his driver to vertical,,,,,,, and hits it a mile.

I believe the physical evidence says our swings actually begin to decelerate as we approach the ball. Not so ?

Perhaps Finau's and Wolff's swings, being as short as they are, are still accelerating into the ball ? :classic_wacko:

Wonder how far John Daly would've hit it if he didn't get so far past parallel; almost(?) to vertical (a 2nd time) ?

• Like 1

Want more posters to read and reply ? "[EMBRACE] THE LINE BREAK"

Callaway Epic Flash SZ Triple Diamond 9.0 Tour AD TP-6 Stiff

Ping G400 hybrid, 19*, 70 gr Stock Stiff

Ping G20, 5-PW, DGS300

Ping Glide Forged, 48, 52, 60, DGS300

Vokey SM8 56/08 (Thanks WRX !!!)

Seemore MT7 Face Balanced (Today)

Chrome Soft Truvis Yellow/Black

Just now, nsxguy said:

That you don't need to get the driver (or any club PHIL) back to parallel to generate max speed ?

Take a look at Matt Wolff. Barely gets his driver to vertical,,,,,,, and hits it a mile.

I believe the physical evidence says our swings actually begin to decelerate as we approach the ball. Not so ?

Perhaps Finau's and Wolff's swings, being as short as they are, are still accelerating into the ball ? :classic_wacko:

Wonder how far John Daly would've hit it if he didn't get so far past parallel; almost(?) to vertical (a 2nd time) ?

Don’t forget Rahm. Tony def isn’t at his max speed with that swing. So he isn’t maxing out, he’s just freaky enough to be able to avg over 300 with his non max swing and hits more fairways that way. Nice option to have. 

1 minute ago, TIScape said:

Don’t forget Rahm. Tony def isn’t at his max speed with that swing. So he isn’t maxing out, he’s just freaky enough to be able to avg over 300 with his non max swing and hits more fairways that way. Nice option to have. 

Yes, Rahm's another good example.

But how do you know Finau's not maxed out ?

I'm suggesting that a longer swing isn't necessarily a faster swing.

Evidence either way would be welcome. :classic_wink:

Ping G20, 5-PW, DGS300

8 minutes ago, nsxguy said:

As I stated above he posted a video playing  in Utah I believe, going all out or close to it, and was at 206  ball speed. Don’t remember the exact #. It was a popular video. I’m sure someone else has seen it. Found it

Edited by TIScape
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
10 minutes ago, nsxguy said:

Yes, as TIScape said, Tony reached 200 mph ball speed. And in doing so, he lengthened his swing.

That doesn't necessarily mean everyone will gain distance by lengthening their swing. But in general, it does help when done properly. 

Is there any long drive competitor that doesn't get to parallel or past parallel? 

Edited by straightshot7
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 3
2 minutes ago, TIScape said:

As I stated above he posted a video playing in Utah I believe, going all out or close to it, and was at 200 mph + ball speed. Don’t remember the exact #. It was a popular video. I’m sure someone else has seen it. 

I don't see where you said that but,,,,,,,,,,, I posted what I did as much for commentary on how far one needs (or doesn't) to back back to hit it as far as they can as anything else.

Ping G20, 5-PW, DGS300

3 minutes ago, TIScape said:

As I stated above he posted a video playing in Utah I believe, going all out or close to it, at was at 200 mph + ball speed. Don’t remember the exact #. It was a popular video. I’m sure someone else has seen it. 

https://www.instagram.com/p/CCgVyy6JBGq/?igshid=1pppl2chtuuax

• Thanks 1

Sun Mountain 4.5 LS 14-way / Cobra F9 HZRDUS Black 65 6.5 / Srixon Z F85 PX HZRDUS Black 75 6.5 / TM UDI 2i PX HZRDUS Smoke Black 100 6.5 / Srixon Z965 TT DG TI X100 / Cleveland RTX-4 50,54,60 TT DG TI S400 / Cleveland 2016 HB #1

JB Holmes and finau have an amazing ability to generate speed from a not-parallel backswing...

They are all time imho at this profoundly rare skill

love both their driver swings btw...

-chris

Edited by Christosterone
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Srixon Z745 Japanese Tour 430cc Tour AD-DJ7 XX
Srixon zU45 (2,3) KBS Tour 130X White Pearl 2* up
Srixon JDM Z945 (4-PW) KBS Tour 130X White Pearl 2* up
Cleveland 588 DSG(52,56,60) KBS Tour 130X White 2* up
dumbest putter ever...backstryke with tons of lead tape

19 minutes ago, Christosterone said:

JB Holmes and finau have an amazing ability to generate speed from a not-parallel backswing...

They are all time imho at this profoundly rare skill

love both their driver swings btw...

-chris

Good share, thank you 

G400 LST - TPT proto
TM M3 - Rogue Silver 110MSI 70S
21* Fourteen Type 7 Driving Iron - HZRDUS Black 6.5 105g
4 - PW Mizuno MP 18 MMC - SteelFiber FC115
50, 54, 60 RC Dual Bite - SteelFiber i125
Evnroll ER5
Snell MTB Black

22 minutes ago, bscinstnct said:

Man, if Tony could just have get a little more confidence on Sunday with his putter

Hed basically be DJ

Just want to see him play his best a few times, he’d really light it up. 

What's amazing about Tony is that all the success he's had, and we know it's not the best he can do.  When he figures out how to close, he's going to be on fire.  The dude is SOOOOO good!

• Like 1

Bag 1                                                                                        Bag 2

PING G400 Max 10.5° UST Attas 4U 6TS 44"                      PING G25 10.5° Graphite Design 2419S Prototype

Taylormade SLDR Mini 14° NV 2KXV Green 75X 42"            PING G25 3 Wood Aerotech Steelfiber ss75 S

Callaway 2015 Big Bertha 5 wood Attas 3 8X 41.5"             PING G25 5 Wood Aerotech Steelfiber ss85 S

Callaway Rogue 7 Wood Elements Wind 9X 41"                   PING G25 23° Hybrid KBS Tour V 110

Callaway Rogue 24° Hybrid Tour AD DI 95X                        PING G25 Irons 5-UW KBS Tour V 120

Mizuno JPX 900 Hot Metal 6-GW AMT Tour White s300    PING Glide 54° SS and 58° TS KBS 610 125

Mizuno T20 54° and 60° DG TI s400                                   PING Sigma Tyne H

Odyssey O-Works Red 7s

TF said in an interview that he can easily attain 190plus ball speeds but won't go there due to consistency and accuracy issues. Plus its an avenue for injury to swing that hard. 

Ping G425 Max 9 Ventus Blue 6x
Ping G425 17.5  Alta 65 Stiff
Ping G410 20.5 Tour 75

Ping G410 23.5 Tour 75
PXG 0311 5-PW Project X LTZ
Titleist Vokey 50 56 60

Ping Anser Putter

8 hours ago, nsxguy said:

Tony swings harder when he takes the club back further, he just can’t control it.  When he posted the video of 200+ ball speed he took it back further

7 hours ago, bscinstnct said:

Man, if Tony could just have get a little more confidence on Sunday with his putter

Hed basically be DJ

Just want to see him play his best a few times, he’d really light it up. 

He had a full ride scholarship for basketball and turned it down.   Decided to go pro at 17.   Was he ready at 17?  

Nothing he can do about now. 

• Like 1
11 hours ago, cardoustie said:

Longest on tour if he wanted to be

Longer than Champ if he was going all out?  If Champ wasn’t swinging the driver down at the ball I feel like he would be crazy long.  Not sure if it would be longer than Finau if he took a full back swing.

Rahm looks even shorter to me.  I’m not sure if he really is or not though.  

1 hour ago, bladehunter said:

Not to gotcha.  But Tony  isn’t maxed out.  He’s actually hitting a 3/4 or 13/16ths driver most of the time on tour.  He has another gear that’s longer than Bryson.  Bryson is a wannabe big hitter.  As in he’s having to work 24/7 to try to be what Tony was born with.  

Tony was born with a proclivity toward athletics.  

He will be a good player but never a great player.

BD is a big hitter and a better player.  You can't be a chop and win the US OPEN. 

Like him or not, he designed a methodology and executed.  He's got one of these to show for it.

image.png.e9a34c8337bd86f64fc65e922368bca8.png

• Like 4
12 hours ago, nsxguy said:

What it proves is that Tony could hit it a lot longer if he wanted to.  He prefers the shorter backswing for control.

Unseen, in the background, Fate was quietly slipping the lead into the boxing-glove.  P.G. Wodehouse

Scary thing is that he can make over 200 mph ball speed and has proven so in that one vid last year where he topped out at 201 back at home on his launch monitor.  He says that he shortens his back swing for tournament play so he can have more control.  He is one of the most talented players on tour for sure. 

TM SIM 2, 8* w/Ventus Black 7x

TM SIM 15* w/Ventus Blue 8x

TM Tour Issue Deep Face Ghost Proto TP 2 HB  w/Thump 105x

New Level NLU-01 21* w/KBS Proto 105x

New Level 623-M 5-PW w/MMT 125 TX

54* Miura HB w/KBS 610 S+, 58* Miura w/KBS Tour Black

Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 1