Finau Driver Swing/Distance.

TiScape

44 minutes ago, Ferguson said:

Tony was born with a proclivity toward athletics.  

He will be a good player but never a great player.

BD is a big hitter and a better player.  You can't be a chop and win the US OPEN. 

Like him or not, he designed a methodology and executed.  He's got one of these to show for it.

image.png.e9a34c8337bd86f64fc65e922368bca8.png

13th in the world rankings and not a great player? Damn you set the bar high 🙂 Big fan of Tony here, love his game tee to green and he always impresses me in his interviews with how calm and positive he is.

55 minutes ago, bladehunter said:

Lol.  Didn’t say Tony was better.  Just that Tony not trying is longer than Bryson eating 40lbs of peanut butter a day , and lifting 47 hours a week.  

Long drive contest , Tony eats his lunch

i mean Corey pavin has one of those trophy’s ! 😂.  

Pavin's win was at 6900 yards, pretty much the same distance at most large courses/clubs from the back tees. 

Distance wasn't the main factor to Pavin's win.  I can't stand Pavin, by the way. 

Tony lacks a catalyst for growth.   He's perfectly happy playing for second or at least his body language and lack of wins tell that story. 

Going pro at 17?  C'mon - right there you can ascertain he makes poor decisions.  Nevertheless, 14 years he's making money and is a crowd favorite.  15 years from now the pundits will call his career a complete letdown and refer to the twisted ankle so that viewers will understand who they are talking about, "oh yeah, that guy."

Let's get one thing clear - Bryson opened a new chapter on distance.   

He's polarizing.   

49 minutes ago, 80sFredriksson said:

13th in the world rankings and not a great player? Damn you set the bar high 🙂 Big fan of Tony here, love his game tee to green and he always impresses me in his interviews with how calm and positive he is.

I get it - he's the heartstrings favorite. 

Where are the wins?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ferguson said:

Pavin's win was at 6900 yards, pretty much the same distance at most large courses/clubs from the back tees. 

Distance wasn't the main factor to Pavin's win.  I can't stand Pavin, by the way. 

Tony lacks a catalyst for growth.   He's perfectly happy playing for second or at least his body language and lack of wins tell that story. 

Going pro at 17?  C'mon - right there you can ascertain he makes poor decisions.  Nevertheless, 14 years he's making money and is a crowd favorite.  15 years from now the pundits will call his career a complete letdown and refer to the twisted ankle so that viewers will understand who they are talking about, "oh yeah, that guy."

He's polarizing.   

He went pro at 17 to help feed his family.  TF turned out just fine. Makes millions and millions every year. You sound bitter.   Dude wake up.

Edited by mosesgolf
  • Like 1

Ping G425 Max 9* Venus Red TR 5 Stiff

Titleist TSI2 18 Tensei White Stiff

Titleist 818 21 KBS PROTO Stiff
Ping G710 4-PW

Ping S159 50 54 58

Ping Senita 38 Putter

Where the club ends up isn't always an indicator of swing speed, its the shoulder turn that counts. Finau's shoulder turn is like all big hitters like Day, Holmes, Woods etc.

"Shirtsleeve" swing technique:

1. Setup: Elbows bent forearms pressed together against shaft slightly forward of center with "Hogan" "active/flexed" leg tension left foot turned out slightly and the right leg slightly farther to the right - weight mostly on balls of feet butt of left hands sits on the top of the grip with very light grip.

2. Swing - W/o disturbing weight distribution of legs and feet lower hands while doing a forward press "swing trigger" then the left upper arm takes over on the backswing, it needs to go out in front of the body then back in front of the chest as the hands trace down initially then up to over the right shoulder "Torres". The goal is to not disturb the pressure of the feet during the initial takeaway.

Notes:

1. Only swing thought after swing trigger - extend left arm at shirt sleeve when reaching left hand over right shoulder "Shirtsleeve technique".

2. The upper left arm move "Shirtsleeve technique" can be practiced independently without a club, sitting down for instance

3. The correct feet tension can be felt by doing very short hops on the balls of the feet then holding the same feeling of pressure on the front of the feet and then taking three practice swings with the grip very loose in order to not disturb the same pressure on the feet and on the 3rd swing actively do the "Shirtsleeve" move. From there the swing should be done within a matter of seconds to not lose the feel of the legs resisting, this way this is not a learned technique as much as it is a setup technique.

1 hour ago, Ferguson said:

He's polarizing.   

Eh..... he just publicized it better.  Tony is freakishly long.  As is champ.  Bryson is neither.     He’s swinging in a dangerous way.  No human body can stand that out of control swing for ever.  Tony and Champ both do it with little visual effort . Bryson is that little yapping dog in the cartoons that always follows the big bulldog around chirping about this and that.  

im just saying that there’s long and then there’s long.   Bryson’s athletic ability is a 2 maybe 3 if Tony is a 10 on a 1-10 scale.  

now.  If we want to talk golfers and score.  Sure. Bryson and pavin win.  But.... would you bet on either to throw a football farther or jump higher or even run faster than Tony ?  I wouldn’t.  

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Callaway epic max LS 9* GD-M9003 7x 

TM Sim2 max tour  16* GD  ADHD 8x 

srixon zx 19* elements 9F5T 

Cobra king SZ 25.5* KBS TD cat 5 70 

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

Mizuno T22 raw 52-56-60 s400

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

1 hour ago, bscinstnct said:

Hey, when you grow up sharing a $1 iron with your brother and sleeping in your car starving,

Going pro at 17 to take care of Mom is pretty understandable.

Not like he has the luxury of time to go to “State” and drink beer and play for free.

He took his shot. Like Trevino, Faldo, Rory

And he’s making it happen.

+ 1000 for working uncle Rico into this. Lmao 😂!   

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

15 hours ago, nsxguy said:

Yes, Rahm's another good example.

But how do you know Finau's not maxed out ?

I'm suggesting that a longer swing isn't necessarily a faster swing.

Evidence either way would be welcome. :classic_wink:

Because there are literally videos of him swinging to parallel and hitting 200 mph ball speed. Do you think professional long drivers would swing the way they do if it wasn't advantageous for speed? 

• Like 1

I am of the belief that a longer swing has more potential raw speed wise than a shorter swing.  With that, you still have to learn to time everything to get the most out of it.  For people that don't practice a long swing, it probably isn't going to net you as good of results as you might think.  Same thing kind of goes for using a 48 inch long driver vs a standard driver length.  You should in theory, be able to produce X amount more speed with a longer driver but, in practice, most don't gain much unless they frequently practice with it and figure out how to swing it and get the most out of it.  

Then on top of this is contact inconsistency that also comes with not practicing it enough.  Just my thoughts.

Edited by clevited

Swing hard in case you hit it!

36 minutes ago, bladehunter said:

Eh..... he just publicized it better.  Tony is freakishly long.  As is champ.  Bryson is neither.     He’s swinging in a dangerous way.  No human body can stand that out of control swing for ever.  Tony and Champ both do it with little visual effort . Bryson is that little yapping dog in the cartoons that always follows the big bulldog around chirping about this and that.  

im just saying that there’s long and then there’s long.   Bryson’s athletic ability is a 2 maybe 3 if Tony is a 10 on a 1-10 scale.  

now.  If we want to talk golfers and score.  Sure. Bryson and pavin win.  But.... would you bet on either to throw a football farther or jump higher or even run faster than Tony ?  I wouldn’t.  

Better publicized??   

No one is better publicized than Tony Finau. 

ESPN fails to recognize that Homa beat a field of players - and some good ones too. 

image.png.3c0804274cf542515d09a5a31a19f6fb.png

The GC reports Finau almost won. 

image.png.b47292a6c8b81047862ead6f02b16f5f.png

Yahoo and Golfweek reports Finau's sunday low, but fail to mention the winner. 

image.png.5570275477d3e1877d9b2a571e4da0b2.png

Edited by Ferguson
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, mosesgolf said:

He went pro at 17 to help feed his family.  TF turned out just fine. Makes millions and millions every year. You sound bitter.   Dude wake up.

Bitter?  I'm just saying the guy is overrated, and the very stats you're always quoting tell the story.   I don't care what's he's worth.   

• Like 3

At the top of the wing, just looking at how far away his hands are from the ball.. He’s 6’4”?
I’m 5’9” and my hands are no where near that far away from the ball, and then there’s the whole train wreck of my downswing compared to his.. I can absolutely see why he carries it 50 yards farther than I do.

3 hours ago, Ferguson said:

I have seen you reference this on multiple posts about Finau. Why is it to you that it was a bad decision? How can you say because of this he makes poor decisions? As a 17 year old kid with his talent to compete for millions of dollars, it was the right decision. He has been one of the better golfers over the last 10 years despite not winning many trophies.

What is to say that if he waits until he is 21 to go pro that he wont still be in the same place or worse off? I just do not see the logic here. He felt he was ready as did many others. It was the right decision.

Edited by stephenmatt

I also think its funny all the crapping on BDC.  The way that I see it, is Bryson had to develop a way to swing hard with his unique swing.  Tony and Champ's swings have much more whip to them, while Bryson's swing doesn't have that whip, so its gotta be more of a smash.  Plus is a good thing a lot of people don't think golfers are athletes, so I'm sure Bryson will be OK being a 2 on the scale.

With all that said, I love TF, his story is awesome, he seems like a really good guy and an amazing player.  I think he just needs to be slightly more aggressive putting.  That putt on 10 in the playoff was weaaaaak. 

TBD - G430 Max 15* - 818 H2 19*- Sub 70 Pro 23* - i525 6-U - SM9 54* / 58* / 62*  - F22

3 hours ago, bscinstnct said:

Hey, when you grow up sharing a $1 iron with your brother and sleeping in your car starving,

Not like he has the luxury of time to go to “State” and drink beer and play for free.

great post...trevino, btw joined the marines at 17 and didn’t officially become a pga pro until he was 28 if memory serves

-chris

Srixon Z745 Japanese Tour 430cc Tour AD-DJ7 XX
Srixon zU45 (2,3) KBS Tour 130X White Pearl 2* up
Srixon JDM Z945 (4-PW) KBS Tour 130X White Pearl 2* up
Cleveland 588 DSG(52,56,60) KBS Tour 130X White 2* up
dumbest putter ever...backstryke with tons of lead tape

If you watched Tony F. on Sunday, holes where he wanted Driver distance, he extended his back swing closer to the top and the ball went further, but left nearly every time, into the rough. 

• TSR2 9.25° Ventus Velo TR Blue 58
  • TSR2 15° AD VF 74
  • T200 17 2i° Tensei AV Raw White Hybrid 90
  • T100 3i to 9i MMT 105
  • T100 PW, SM9 F52/12, M58/8, PX Wedge 6.0 120
  • SC/CA Monterey
  • DASH -ProV1x & AVX

5 hours ago, bscinstnct said:

Exactly. Easy to judge from a glass house 

4 hours ago, Ferguson said:

Better publicized??   

No one is better publicized than Tony Finau. 

ESPN fails to recognize that Homa beat a field of players - and some good ones too. 

image.png.3c0804274cf542515d09a5a31a19f6fb.png

The GC reports Finau almost won. 

image.png.b47292a6c8b81047862ead6f02b16f5f.png

Yahoo and Golfweek reports Finau's sunday low, but fail to mention the winner. 

image.png.5570275477d3e1877d9b2a571e4da0b2.png

Come on Ferg.  I’ve had a long day.  

Bryson does Instagram or YouTube or Twitter videos with a bunch of random Bros.  Or Brahs or dudes.  Not sure what they’re using now.   I bet he’s even streaming it somewhere.  Maybe even to snackchat. ( only guessing since he has a PBJ addiction). 

meanwhile Tony is off starting his own softball team.  Organically.   He’s way too busy for tiktok.  

Ferg ! You know you’re my bud !     I don’t dislike Byson.   I just don’t take him as seriously as he does.  😂

• Like 1

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

3 hours ago, bscinstnct said:

TF be like,

Everybody say hi to Ferg!

; )

0161B5F7-250C-4B44-9D1E-332D2ACC58BE.jpeg

As my grandpa used to say about any male child in our line ...” no need for a blood test on that one.  “.   

we tend to share strong identical traits just like Tony’s beautiful kids there.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

7 minutes ago, bladehunter said:

Come on Ferg.  I’ve had a long day.  

Bryson does Instagram or YouTube or Twitter videos with a bunch of random Bros.  Or Brahs or dudes.  Not sure what they’re using now.   I bet he’s even streaming it somewhere.  Maybe even to snackchat. ( only guessing since he has a PBJ addiction). 

meanwhile Tony is off starting his own softball team.  Organically.   He’s way too busy for tiktok.  

Ferg ! You know you’re my bud !     I don’t dislike Byson.   I just don’t take him as seriously as he does.  😂

We're cool, absolutely!   

Bryson is a tool but the tour needs people we can point at. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Ferguson said:

We're cool, absolutely!   

Bryson is a tool but the tour needs people we can point at. 

Agreed there ! Lol 

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

17 hours ago, bladehunter said:

As my grandpa used to say about any male child in our line ...” no need for a blood test on that one.  “.   

we tend to share strong identical traits just like Tony’s beautiful kids there.  

My wife says of my siblings, "you may share traits, but you are not one of them."  

Tony is a family man and that's a good thing.