What exactly is unique about older Ping irons?

I intend to get my father’s old Ping ISI-Ks restored. I’m aware LL Golf does great work and will probably go that route. 

I would like to know what is specifically unique to the Ping heads from that era, as LL Golf will only restore Ping heads from that specific time frame. There must be something or he would expand his business into other heads. I know from searching old threads it has something to do with chrome plating, or lack thereof. But what exactly is it? And are there any other older irons from other manufacturers which were made the same way and could theoretically be subject to the same restoration process?

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

What’s unique?  Prior to Ping all golf irons were blades, mostly forged.  It was believed the more mass you put behind the ball the better.  Karsten basically invented perimeter weighting from an engi

I'll add one other thing that made Ping unique... the Eye2 was the best selling iron model in golf for an entire decade.  I don't think we will EVER see that again.   Think about all of the

I agree with Londoner.  

Posted Images

10 hours ago, dlygrisse said:

What’s unique?  Prior to Ping all golf irons were blades, mostly forged.  It was believed the more mass you put behind the ball the better.  Karsten basically invented perimeter weighting from an engineering perspective and made his heads through investment casting 17-4 stainless steel. The “eye” in his Eye and Eye 2 models was a color code to show lie angles, and his clubs were 100% custom fit and ordered for many years through pro shops only. No clubs sold off the rack. Custom lie, custom shaft lengths, custom grip size. He had his own fitting chart.the clubs had offset and he offered multiple wedge options that matched the set, including lob wedges which were new to the industry. His clubs were more forgiving, looked different, were durable with a stainless tumble finish and totally changed the industry.  All the major OEM’s had to scramble to catch up and many went out of business because they were behind the times. MacGregor, First Flight, Ram, Slazenger, Hogan and Wilson were the big names. Wilson probably only survived because they made s many other products.  Companies like Taylormade and Callaway came along to take market share because all the others were behind the curve. I started playing golf during this era, and all the young guys wanted something new and innovative, playing Taylormade metal woods and Eye2 irons during the ‘80’s was high tech cool.

Ping also did things like mass market a lightweight bag with a kickstand. Introduce the Hoofer, with a double strap, all the products made sense, were innovative and durable. Plus he totally reinvented the putter, the Anser changed golf, it used to be considered a large GI putter, now it’s a blade LOL, the most copied club in history. Prior everyone used a heel shafted blade, Bullseye style or maybe a small Ray Cook mallet. 

Simply before Ping irons and putters were mostly forged blades, forged and chrome plated for the most part. They totally changed the way golf equipment looked and played. 

Nail on head.... Every word spot on, well put sir 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
3 hours ago, Fellaheen51 said:

I agree with Londoner.

GN5Lq8YuRGunzPoqgHd7hA.jpg.a639717743778943f9835af92c2299b6.jpg

Nice to see the laminates alongside a modern driver. I've sometimes thought of bagging a favourite persimmon 5w in my modern bag instead of my hybrid. Not much difference in distance or ball flight, but I prefer the 5w off the tee.

I should try it some time.

• Like 2

Why I have a 6-way bag, always fooling around with adding a mix of "this and that" clubs when out for a solo round. 

By all means, you should give a 5 wood a go.  Kinda consider them to be an "old school" hybrid.  Similar head size and loft (~20*), distance realized.  For unknown reasons, hit a fairway better than most hybrids.  Picked up a Zing 5 wood during the off season, curious how that will play once golf season starts.

Ping woods are an acquired taste for some (not me).   Can hit the snot out of that E2 4 wood.  Every bit as good as the V-Steel 4 wood.  With a better trajectory.  Don't know why its not a semi-permanent resident in the bag.  

• Like 3

Laissez les bons temps rouler!

OGA - Mitglied Nummer Sechs

15 hours ago, miamistomp said:

Still use Eye 2 wedges- have not found anything better

You know it’s funny, a lot of people feel that way.  Back in the day I played Eye 2 irons and Cleveland wedges.  I just liked the traditional looking wedge. For awhile I used the Glide ES grind, then I switched back to either a Vokey or the Glide stealth SS grind.  They seem to either work for your technique or they don’t.  I have an old Eye 2 SW on my deck I hit chips with in my back yard on occasion.  But I have never fell in love. 

• Like 1

I pick 14 of the following:
Ping G400
Ping G410 3, 5 and 7 wood
Ping G 400 4 hybrid
Ping G 4-U
Ping Glide 2.0 Stealth 54, 58 SS
Grips NDMC +4
Odyssey Pro #1 black
Hoofer
ProV1x-mostly
ECCO Biom Hybrid 3

24 minutes ago, Londoner said:

And pricey. I had no ISI BeNi  wedge found one on ebay for £40. Same seller had a lefty and was asking 125 for it. 

Last summer, a set matching S2 wedge showed up on eBay for a BIN price of $17.95 + shipping.  Thought about it for like 10 seconds and bought it.  Don't think the seller knew what he had.  Still looking for a similar deal on a S3.  No luck so far.  

Had a + no + SW for a bit.  It was OK from sand, not so much from everywhere else.  Think I can proceed with the rest of my golfing life without using a E2 SW.  YMMV.  

• Like 1

15 hours ago, miamistomp said:

Still use Eye 2 wedges- have not found anything better

I played the eye2 BC LW and SW  from 1985 to 2012 and the ONLY reason I stopped using them is because finding a replacement eye 2 either new or in really good shape was becoming near impossible for less than down payment on a new house.

• Like 1

JBeam Bullet 10*                           Fujikura Ventus Black 6X

Exotics CBX119 15* 3WD.             Fujikura Ventus Red 8X

Exotics CBX119 18* 5WD              Accra Tour Z RPG 382 M5

Exotics CB2 21* 7WD                    Fujikura Ventus Red 9X
MIURA CB57 5-7                            MCI MMT-125TX

MIURA MB-001 8-P                       MCI MMT-125TX
Chikara V1 Proto 52, 57, 61           MCI MMT-125TX (8-iron)

Cameron 009 Prototype 1.5 Beach 34/350 (A010656)

On 2/23/2021 at 2:32 PM, LeftyMac said:

The older Ping heads are very durable.  I gamed a set of BeCu Eye 2+'s for 20 years but you wouldn't know it to look at them.  The durability alone would make restoration worthwhile. 

Had many sets and agree with durability however living in Colorado Springs (desert soil conditions) for past several years I had a set that got chewed up.  Wish I still had those pics from approximately 5 years.  I posted that topic back then and folks were in disbelief.  Caddie Master at TPC Scottsdale during my visit had a rough looking set of Eye 2s from play there.

Edited by Buzzkill
  • Like 1

Handicap:  3

6 hours ago, BIG STU said:

In those days the only thing that came remotely close were the Tommy Armour 845s and I say remotely. I know a lot of weekend warriors could not afford Eye2s so the numerous clones sold well too. Of course me I still played my old  (Gasp!!!) 66 Power Bilt Citation blades but did switch from a Ironmaster real Blade to a Anser putter. And I did carry a Eye2 one iron. Woods ha ha I never switched from persimmon to metal until after the turn of the century. 

My first set of clubs was a starter set I bought from a buddy for $50, some department store level Wilsons, they got the job done, and I used the 3 wood, laminated, for several years....I could kill that thing.  My buddy and I wanted some Pings so bad but we were poor students and opted to order Tour Model II irons from Golfsmith and build our own clubs 1-LW.  They worked just fine for several years, till I picked up a really nice set of used Eye2's.  My first "real" club purchase was a Ping Anser 3 manganese bronze putter.  

• Like 1

I pick 14 of the following:
Ping G400
Ping G410 3, 5 and 7 wood
Ping G 400 4 hybrid
Ping G 4-U
Ping Glide 2.0 Stealth 54, 58 SS
Grips NDMC +4
Odyssey Pro #1 black
Hoofer
ProV1x-mostly
ECCO Biom Hybrid 3

18 hours ago, Fellaheen51 said:

Why I have a 6-way bag, always fooling around with adding a mix of "this and that" clubs when out for a solo round. 

By all means, you should give a 5 wood a go.  Kinda consider them to be an "old school" hybrid.  Similar head size and loft (~20*), distance realized.  For unknown reasons, hit a fairway better than most hybrids.  Picked up a Zing 5 wood during the off season, curious how that will play once golf season starts.

Ping woods are an acquired taste for some (not me).   Can hit the snot out of that E2 4 wood.  Every bit as good as the V-Steel 4 wood.  With a better trajectory.  Don't know why its not a semi-permanent resident in the bag.  

I have been known to slip a certain 5 wood I have into the bag for certain courses. It is a Macgregot MT Custom with aluminum insert. Found it in my old man's stuff after he passed never hit. He ordered it for some reason and it is really hooked faced and tiny. I named it "Hooky" and I can hit one heck of a hook with it. Do not know in my present state of health with my back if I could ever hit it again because it does have a stiff Pro Pel shaft. No doubt he furnished the shaft because the Pro Pel was out when this was built. Not going to try right now maybe later on in the season

Edited by BIG STU
  • Like 1

Driver--- Honma G1-X Stock Regular shaft

3W Callaway Steel Head UST 65 Pro Force Gold Stiff

2I-- 1980 Macgregor VIP Nike R steel shaft

Irons 4 thru PW 1980 Mac Vip Hogan Apex #2 shafts

SW Cleveland 588 56* S- 400 Sensicore

Putter Old Rusty Santa Fe Bulls Eye fluted shaft

Bag Old Ping Hoofer I had in my stash

18 hours ago, Buzzkill said:

Had many sets and agree with durability however living in Colorado Springs (desert soil conditions) for past several years I had a set that got chewed up.  Wish I still had those pics from approximately 5 years.  I posted that topic back then and folks were in disbelief.  Caddie Master at TPC Scottsdale during my visit had a rough looking set of Eye 2s from play there.

I remember you posting pictures a few years ago of a set you had which showed about two months wear. I can't remember the set, but I think they might have been refurbished irons.

What I DO remember is how beaten up they were. It was hard for me to fathom because here we practice pretty much solely off matts, and the courses we play don't have sandy soil. If I used iron covers, I bet my irons would still look practically brand new after two or three years use.

• Like 1
19 hours ago, dlygrisse said:

You know it’s funny, a lot of people feel that way.  Back in the day I played Eye 2 irons and Cleveland wedges.  I just liked the traditional looking wedge. For awhile I used the Glide ES grind, then I switched back to either a Vokey or the Glide stealth SS grind.  They seem to either work for your technique or they don’t.  I have an old Eye 2 SW on my deck I hit chips with in my back yard on occasion.  But I have never fell in love. 

I can understand that. I have a BeCu L-wedge that I hated for many years. Then one day, a few years ago, I was back in the UK on a visit and took it out on a whim. While I still couldn't get used to hitting it from the fairway, I found it was a beast in the bunkers. I took it back to Japan with me, and take it out now and again. I'd go as far to say I love it as a bunker club and as a rescue club from nasty lies. Still a bit iffy off tight lies for me, though.

I also bought a modern EYE2 SW, but I haven't used it much yet, only practised with it. Probably should give it a good before long.

• Like 2
3 hours ago, BIG STU said:

Well I was like you back in the day. Always like Cleveland, Spalding or Wilson wedges. Could not stomach the looks of any Ping short iron. Well after reading on WRX I got curious on Ping wedges. Found a Eye2 LW on the yard one day WTH? only cost me 10 cents scrap price ok cool. Messed around with it some. Later on found a pristine Zing LW on the yard for some reason I liked the way it sat other than being butt ugly. Actually like the way it hits out of sand. Wow will stop a ball on a dime and give a nickel change. Normally as SOP I do not carry a 60 any more but if playing a course with fluffy greenside bunkers I slip the Zing in the bag. I only carry 12 clubs as SOP for me so it leaves room in the bag for additions on any end. I guess you can say I am a convert somewhat to Ping wedges

On an outing to the LGS the other day, rummaged through the used wedge bin.   Spotted a SS Zing SW (red dot).  Took it out for a waggle, placed it down at address position and eyeballed it.  Kinda a "thick" looking.  Was only $10.  Thought about it.  Couldn't get over how hideous the thing looked.  Placed it back in the bin.  Glad it wasn't close to being the right color code.  

• Like 2
  • Haha 1