2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

Wilson Staff, Staff Model Wedge

hulten

Except the disadvantage of not having many bounce and grind options. Is there any reason to not game these?

Anyone have experience from using them? They are gourgeos and there is a possibility to get them for a fair price here in Sweden. 

Bonus question: If I play 1” longer irons wouldn’t it make sence to have longer shafts in wedges too? For some reason I’ve never had this and never thought About it before.

Edited by hulten

TaylorMade M4 @ 9,5° / Atmos Red 5 S-flex 45,75"

Cobra F8+  FW 3-4 @ 17,5°

Titleist AP712 (3-PW) / Project X Rifle 5.5+1"

Wilson Staff Model Wedge @ 52°/56° Dynamic Gold S300+0,5"
Titleist Vokey SM8 @ 60° Dynamic Gold S300

TalorMade Spider Tour 34"

• hulten changed the title to Wilson Staff, Staff Model Wedge

I played them for about 15 rounds. Really good wedges, superb feel. They have a smaller footprint so you need to like the smaller look. They are releasing a tour grind in the higher lofted wedges and that is worth waiting for if you like to manipulate your shots around the greens. The thing with dormy (Swedish retailer) is that you probably can’t order them custom at that offer but double check that.

[i][font=times new roman,times,serif][size=2]Driver: Mizuno st180 - Diamana Bf60x[/size][/font][/i]
[i][font=times new roman,times,serif][size=2]3 wood: Callaway rogue sz - GD Tour AD-DI 7x[/size][/font][/i]
[i][font=times new roman,times,serif][size=2]Hybrid: Callaway Rogue 19* - GD Tour AD-DI 85x ---Testing Srixon H85 veylix rome 988x[/size][/font][/i]
[i][font=times new roman,times,serif][size=2]2-Iron: PXG 0311x extreme dark - KBS Tour prototype hybrid 95s+[/size][/font][/i]
[i][font=times new roman,times,serif][size=2]Irons: Mizuno JPX919 Tour 5-pw - Project x lz 6.5[/size][/font][/i]
[i][font=times new roman,times,serif][size=2]Wedges: Mizuno T7 52&58 - KBS Custom Black Wedge shafts[/size][/font][/i]
[i][font=times new roman,times,serif][size=2]Putter: Toulon Atlanta Garage All black[/size][/font][/i]

11 minutes ago, MizunoMade said:

I played them for about 15 rounds. Really good wedges, superb feel. They have a smaller footprint so you need to like the smaller look. They are releasing a tour grind in the higher lofted wedges and that is worth waiting for if you like to manipulate your shots around the greens. The thing with dormy (Swedish retailer) is that you probably can’t order them custom at that offer but double check that.

Thanks for feedback The guy at the shop said i could.

9 minutes ago, No_Catchy_Nickname said:

I like my iron shafts to be on long side, so I order wedges longer than standard, but it may mean pretty high swing weights (like D5~6) if the OEM doesn't have any lighter heads.

No idea what swingweight is or how it would affect my game. But thanks 🙂

I think used but near new vokeys are a much better idea. I had them and really disliked them personally. Just something a bit odd. High bounce but played low due to a narrower sole just really no refinement compared to Vokey, Cleveland, TM, callaway, ping etc. There’s a reason none of their pros really play them. 

1 hour ago, TigerInTheWoods said:

I think used but near new vokeys are a much better idea. I had them and really disliked them personally. Just something a bit odd. High bounce but played low due to a narrower sole just really no refinement compared to Vokey, Cleveland, TM, callaway, ping etc. There’s a reason none of their pros really play them. 

Wedges are like Linus' blanket.  Pros are funny about them.  If they like a certain look or grind or feel, they will stay loyal to that manufacturer obviously.  I think at the pro tour level it comes down to service and who you have grinding the wedge.  If you have someone who is really talented at shaping and grinding a wedge, some pro will find you. And some companies pursue their players and work hard with them to get them into a full bag, others are content with less.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, TigerInTheWoods said:

Friends don't let friends play Titleist

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

The Ever Changing Bag!  A lot of mixing and matching
Driver: TM 300 Mini 11.5*, 43.5", Phenom NL 60X -or- Cobra SpeedZone, ProtoPype 80S, 43.5"

Fwy woods: King LTD 3/4, Rogue Black 75X -or- TM Stage 2 Tour 3w, NV105 X -or- TEE E8 Beta 12*, Rogue Silver 70X
Hybrid:  Cobra King Tec 2h, MMT 80 S -or- TEE CBX 17*, HZRDUS 85 6.0

2 iron:  Arias D-23, Modus3 120 S; Mizuno MP-20 HMB, NS Pro 950 R

Irons grab bag:  1-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 1-PW Golden Ram TW282, RIP Tour 115 R; 2-PW Golden Ram Vibration Matched, NS Pro 950WF S; testing: Arias D-23 5i w/Modus 120 S
Wedges:  Dynacraft Dual Millled 52*, SteelFiber i125 S -or- Scratch 8620 DD 53*, SteelFiber i125 S; Cobra Snakebite 56* -or- Wilson Staff PMP 58*, Dynamic S -or- Ram TW282 SW -or- Ram TW276 SW
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34" -or- Cleveland Huntington Beach #1, 34.5" -or- Golden Ram TW Custom, 34" -or- Rife Bimini, 34" -or- Maxfli TM-2, 35"
Balls: Chrome Soft, Kirkland Signature 3pc (v3), Wilson Triad

Grip preference: various GripMaster leather options or Star Grip Sidewinders of assorted colors

I think they will fit the bill for wedges. Everybody is a short game guru that needs available wedge grinds but still shoot in the 80s. I have some interest in them too, I didn’t get the chance to swing them at Carl’s.  I’d say hit them and try out your normal shot shapes and techniques and see how they do, I will when I do 

• Like 3

Ping G400/ Ping tour 65 s

Ping 410 3w / Ping tour 65 s 

Nike VRS covert 5w/ kurokage black s

Titleist 718 T-mb 4 iron / amt white s300

Titleist 716 AP2 5-pw/ amt white s300

Cleveland Rtx4  48(bent to 50)mid, 54 mid, 58 mid / dynamic gold s400

Nike midnight method 006/ Black SS Gt 1.0 w 25g counter core.

4 hours ago, TigerInTheWoods said:

There’s a reason pros play their own grind outside the ones you have. There’s also a reason they release someone’s “grind” for you peons.  Lol fan boy.  You the guy who needs all these grind options but end up playing standard shots. 

• Haha 2

25 minutes ago, SylvesterLundgren said:

There’s a reason pros play their own grind outside the ones you have. There’s also a reason they release someone’s “grind” for you peons.  Lol fan boy.  You the guy who needs all these grind options but end up playing standard shots. 

You literally know nothing of my game. I’m not going to dignify that BS with a response other than, I have a very diverse and high end wedge game. 

As for the wedges, have you owned a full set of them? Because I have and I really disliked them. They also wore incredibly fast. For the same money you can get better and I truly believe that. 

5 minutes ago, TigerInTheWoods said:

You literally know nothing of my game. I’m not going to dignify that BS with a response other than, I have a very diverse and high end wedge game. 

As for the wedges, have you owned a full set of them? Because I have and I really disliked them. They also wore incredibly fast. For the same money you can get better and I truly believe that. 

We’re talking about the 2021 line up? The ones that come stock with the 120 s300?? I can agree that since they’re listed as “forged” they will probably wear down compared to the softer cast clubs no debate there.  
I don’t need to know your game to see your opinion/approach. I meant it in satire as well but I can see how it came off heavy handed. 
I’ll be honest my response is one based off of skill because if technique is versatile and abundant then you could make most wedges work. I haven’t had the chance to swing the Wilson’s but I will give them a fair look regardless of the grind/bounce available 

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, SylvesterLundgren said:

I’ll be honest my response is one based off of skill because if technique is versatile and abundant then you could make most wedges work. I haven’t had the chance to swing the Wilson’s but I will give them a fair look regardless of the grind/bounce available 

Yeah.  I agree on that one.  Because of this pandemic, my wedge game has improved tremendously learning to use the bounce correctly doing hundreds of pitch, flop and pitch shots against a net in my basement which transitioned very very well in real world conditions.  I also tend to practice off of crappy and bare lies when I'm at a chipping green which gives me very little room for error.  I didn't use a $200+ Vokey wedge to practice with but an old SW from a '97 Callaway Bertha Gold set.  I'm not going to judge anyone's wedge opinions but can only speak for myself but I can pretty much get around the course now with any wedge.  I can even get away with only using a PW or even a 9 iron if needed.

Edited by cgasucks
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

10.5 deg Titleist 905R with stock UST Proforce V2 Shaft (Stiff flex)
Titleist 990 (3-PW) with stock Dynamic Gold in S300
Taylormade V-Steel 5W & 3W with Grafalloy Prolaunch Red shafts (Regular Flex)
2011 Adams Tom Watson signature wedges in 52 and 56 degrees with stock steel shafts (Player's Grind)
Rife Island Series Aruba Blade Putter

"Loft for loft, length for length, and shaft for shaft, the ball will go the same distance when hit on the sweet spot regardless how old the iron."

2 minutes ago, cgasucks said:

Yeah.  I agree on that one.  Because of this pandemic, my wedge game has improved tremendously learning to use the bounce correctly doing hundreds of pitch, flop and pitch shots against a net in my basement and translated very very well in real world conditions.  I didn't use a $200+ Vokey wedge to practice with but an old SW from a '97 Callaway Bertha Gold set.  I'm not going to judge anyone's wedge opinions but can only speak for myself but I can pretty get around the course now with any wedge.  I can even get away with using a PW if needed.

Most definitely, I’ve mentioned to my teammates about using a pw even with a slight open face for a quick nipper he seems surprised over that shot idea. Lol he prefers to close down a 60 and play that style of shot.

Everybody is different and has a different “feel” towards their short games. I don’t advocate to change your swing but I do with style of technical work and training those approach thoughts leading into playing a shot.  Those people who are unfamiliar seem to think I am trying to coach a swing out of them. Lol 

• Like 1

Guys, I'm not saying I couldn't play them I'm saying I didn't prefer them? My buddy who plays on tour and I stood on the range and went back and forth hitting a bunch of different shots with my old gamers, his gamers, and the Wilson with pro v1s and they just flat out weren't as good for our games. He's a +4 and I'm a +1 (at the time - gone up a bit since). I just thought they were a bit clunky and didn't like how they went through the ground. It's an equipment forum and we are talking about a piece of equipment. I'm not a Vokey fanboy. I have a couple of really nice forged Vokey JDM and they didn't wear nearly as bad for the record, but also game MG2 TW grind because they work best for my game. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, TigerInTheWoods said:

Guys, I'm not saying I couldn't play them I'm saying I didn't prefer them? My buddy who plays on tour and I stood on the range and went back and forth hitting a bunch of different shots with my old gamers, his gamers, and the Wilson with pro v1s and they just flat out weren't as good for our games. He's a +4 and I'm a +1 (at the time - gone up a bit since). I just thought they were a bit clunky and didn't like how they went through the ground. It's an equipment forum and we are talking about a piece of equipment. I'm not a Vokey fanboy. I have a couple of really nice forged Vokey JDM and they didn't wear nearly as bad for the record, but also game MG2 TW grind because they work best for my game. 

Lol it was in jest. You’re not a fanboy ! I get that they’re others that can share better traits for the short game. Should have lead with this statement instead of your first one. It’s all love 🙏🏻 Lol 

Liking how a wedge looks is check 1, which you do.  Limited grinds/bounces is only a negative if the ones they have don't agree with you.  Options are great, but if you don't need them then you don't need them.  I always look at sole width. 

Playing 1" longer is about 6 SW points.  I'll assume the STAFF model wedges start at about D4 -- so, they'll end up really heavy.  For you, how about 1/2" longer than standard.  Then, I like the idea of having a minimum length on your wedges; in other words, after the PW or gap stop stepping them down.  

13 minutes ago, shot-savior said:

Liking how a wedge looks is check 1, which you do.  Limited grinds/bounces is only a negative if the ones they have don't agree with you.  Options are great, but if you don't need them then you don't need them.  I always look at sole width. 

Playing 1" longer is about 6 SW points.  I'll assume the STAFF model wedges start at about D4 -- so, they'll end up really heavy.  For you, how about 1/2" longer than standard.  Then, I like the idea of having a minimum length on your wedges; in other words, after the PW or gap stop stepping them down.  

Thanks for the explanation! Hopefully helps with gapping aswell since i never really managed to fix it between PW and gap. 50 little or no gap and 52 abit too much. Saves me the time learing how to 3/4 my PW 🤪

11 hours ago, MizunoMade said:

I ordered mine from Dormy with custom shafts and got the 3 for 2 deal. 

Great wedges.

• 1 year later...

Old thread (I know, I know) - but just wanted to chime in as and say I'm a little over a year in with the Wilson Staff Wedges in a 50/54/58 (58 in TG) setup.  This is still one of the top results on Google when you search for staff model forged wedges, so just wanted to provide a different point of view:

Previous season wedges were SM4s (2012-2016), Ping Glide 2.0 (2017 & 2018), Vokey SM7 (2019 & 2020) and Mizuno T20 (2021).  A few things I wanted to share from about 70 rounds with them:

• they've held up well, no different than any other wedge I've ever owned. 
  • they have a unique feel - it's a heavy, soft, solid feel.  You may or may not like that, but I do.  I try to play quiet hands (a la Stricker/Day) and I think it's a good complement to that style… I don't it would feel right if I did a lot of face manipulation. 
  • they aren't spin monsters.  I have access to Trackman and have hundreds of side-by-side Trackman comps with other popular wedges.  They are close on full swings but a bit fewer RPMs on delicate shots.   I don’t mind that as I play a bit of roll on a stock pitch, and have no trouble opening up the 58 and getting it to stop.
  • Just as a point of comparison, I couldn't wait to get rid of the Mizunos.  I just do not understand how a company that makes such soft forged irons can consistently make such clicky wedges. Chris Voshall, if you are listening, DITCH THE BORON please.

I hit the SM9s at a demo session and thought they were okay, but I'm sticking with the Wilsons and ordering a new set.   I play 716 CBs and wouldn't mind more Titleist in the bag, but the only reason would be brand loyalty.  The Staff Model wedges have made the Vokeys feel kinda hard.

Also - in wedges, price matters more to me.  They are kind of consumable clubs if you play a lot…if you look around you’re probably $50 under a comparable Vokey and that adds up if you replace them on a regular basis.  

• Like 2

On 2/23/2021 at 2:10 AM, hulten said:

Except the disadvantage of not having many bounce and grind options. Is there any reason to not game these?

Anyone have experience from using them? They are gourgeos and there is a possibility to get them for a fair price here in Sweden. 

Bonus question: If I play 1” longer irons wouldn’t it make sence to have longer shafts in wedges too? For some reason I’ve never had this and never thought About it before.

There are a few guys on pro tours using them. They are as good as anything else as long as they are fit correctly. I would make your wedges longer as well. Not just a big adjustment length wise, but the shorter wedges will feel much stiffer than your irons if they are shorter.

TaylorMade Sim Max 9* @ 7* Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 5 Reg
Ping G425 3wd @ Flat setting Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 5 Reg 
Ping G425 7wd @ -1 Flat setting Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 6 Reg
Ping G425 22 hybrid @ Flat setting Fujikura Ventus Blue HB 6 reg
PXG Gen 4 0311XP 6-GW Fujikura Axiom 75 R2 

Cleveland CBX Zipcore 50*, 56*, 60* DG Spinner Stiff stepped soft
Evnroll ER7  33” Rosemark grip

On 3/25/2022 at 8:03 PM, rollingrock said:

Old thread (I know, I know) - but just wanted to chime in as and say I'm a little over a year in with the Wilson Staff Wedges in a 50/54/58 (58 in TG) setup.  This is still one of the top results on Google when you search for staff model forged wedges, so just wanted to provide a different point of view:

Previous season wedges were SM4s (2012-2016), Ping Glide 2.0 (2017 & 2018), Vokey SM7 (2019 & 2020) and Mizuno T20 (2021).  A few things I wanted to share from about 70 rounds with them:

• they've held up well, no different than any other wedge I've ever owned. 
  • they have a unique feel - it's a heavy, soft, solid feel.  You may or may not like that, but I do.  I try to play quiet hands (a la Stricker/Day) and I think it's a good complement to that style… I don't it would feel right if I did a lot of face manipulation. 
  • they aren't spin monsters.  I have access to Trackman and have hundreds of side-by-side Trackman comps with other popular wedges.  They are close on full swings but a bit fewer RPMs on delicate shots.   I don’t mind that as I play a bit of roll on a stock pitch, and have no trouble opening up the 58 and getting it to stop.
  • Just as a point of comparison, I couldn't wait to get rid of the Mizunos.  I just do not understand how a company that makes such soft forged irons can consistently make such clicky wedges. Chris Voshall, if you are listening, DITCH THE BORON please.

I hit the SM9s at a demo session and thought they were okay, but I'm sticking with the Wilsons and ordering a new set.   I play 716 CBs and wouldn't mind more Titleist in the bag, but the only reason would be brand loyalty.  The Staff Model wedges have made the Vokeys feel kinda hard.

Also - in wedges, price matters more to me.  They are kind of consumable clubs if you play a lot…if you look around you’re probably $50 under a comparable Vokey and that adds up if you replace them on a regular basis.  

On 3/25/2022 at 9:09 PM, hammergolf said:

There are a few guys on pro tours using them. They are as good as anything else as long as they are fit correctly. I would make your wedges longer as well. Not just a big adjustment length wise, but the shorter wedges will feel much stiffer than your irons if they are shorter.

Bought them and played them last season. Ended up switching out my 60* for a Vokey. Most likley a conficence thing (could be the grind) but for some reason i couldn't stop thinning it over the green T_T. Also found the Vokey 60* more versetile and suitable for bunkershots at my home club.

As for feel I do think the Vokeys feel better & softer. However I've been better and more accurate from 120 yards and below this season. Went from 6.5-2.9 hcp and alot of it has to do with more consistent wedgeplay (my home course is quite short, most Par 4's are between 340-400 yards).

With that said I belive they are basically what rollingrock says, as good as any wedge. I've been playing on average 90-100 rounds the last two years and feel the need to replace wedges atleast after 1-1½ season (along with new grips every season). Don't personally like secondhand wedges so price is a big factor. 

To sum it all up: If I'd choose between Vokeys and Wilson I'd choose Vokey based on feel. Would i be willing to pay the 60-75$ extra per club that come with that choise? No.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 4/1/2022 at 2:59 AM, hulten said:

Bought them and played them last season. Ended up switching out my 60* for a Vokey. Most likley a conficence thing (could be the grind) but for some reason i couldn't stop thinning it over the green T_T. Also found the Vokey 60* more versetile and suitable for bunkershots at my home club.

As for feel I do think the Vokeys feel better & softer. However I've been better and more accurate from 120 yards and below this season. Went from 6.5-2.9 hcp and alot of it has to do with more consistent wedgeplay (my home course is quite short, most Par 4's are between 340-400 yards).

With that said I belive they are basically what rollingrock says, as good as any wedge. I've been playing on average 90-100 rounds the last two years and feel the need to replace wedges atleast after 1-1½ season (along with new grips every season). Don't personally like secondhand wedges so price is a big factor. 

To sum it all up: If I'd choose between Vokeys and Wilson I'd choose Vokey based on feel. Would i be willing to pay the 60-75$ extra per club that come with that choise? No.

Can't recommend the TG model  enough in lob wedge if anyone is looking at a set of these:  

https://www.wilson.com/en-us/product/staff-model-tour-grind-wedge-wg1p0032#hand=57347

In my experience, the stock (full) grind is just fine in 50 & 54 for 99% of shots.  The spot I need a more aggressive grind with heel and toe relief is in the highest lofted wedge in my bag, and the 58 TG is probably my favorite club.  Play it square, plenty of bounce.  Play a toe down, putter stroke greenside chip?  No chance it digs.  Thanks to the really aggressive heel grind, you can open it  waaaaay up and the leading edge barely comes off the ground.  I used to need 60°+ to stop the ball at my home course if short sided, but I can open this up almost 45° and the ball just lands and stays there.  I am not a HT guy so I can;t speak to that club but i'd stongly recommend giving the TG a go if you don't find the stock club versatile enough.  

• Like 1