Wilson Staff, Staff Model Wedge

Except the disadvantage of not having many bounce and grind options. Is there any reason to not game these?

Anyone have experience from using them? They are gourgeos and there is a possibility to get them for a fair price here in Sweden. 

Bonus question: If I play 1” longer irons wouldn’t it make sence to have longer shafts in wedges too? For some reason I’ve never had this and never thought About it before.

Edited by hulten
  • hulten changed the title to Wilson Staff, Staff Model Wedge
  • Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I think they will fit the bill for wedges. Everybody is a short game guru that needs available wedge grinds but still shoot in the 80s. I have some interest in them too, I didn’t get the chance to swi

Yeah.  I agree on that one.  Because of this pandemic, my wedge game has improved tremendously learning to use the bounce correctly doing hundreds of pitch, flop and pitch shots against a net in my ba

Friends don't let friends play Titleist  

I played them for about 15 rounds. Really good wedges, superb feel. They have a smaller footprint so you need to like the smaller look. They are releasing a tour grind in the higher lofted wedges and that is worth waiting for if you like to manipulate your shots around the greens. The thing with dormy (Swedish retailer) is that you probably can’t order them custom at that offer but double check that.

[i][font=times new roman,times,serif][size=2]Driver: Mizuno st180 - Diamana Bf60x[/size][/font][/i]
[i][font=times new roman,times,serif][size=2]3 wood: Callaway rogue sz - GD Tour AD-DI 7x[/size][/font][/i]
[i][font=times new roman,times,serif][size=2]Hybrid: Callaway Rogue 19* - GD Tour AD-DI 85x ---Testing Srixon H85 veylix rome 988x[/size][/font][/i]
[i][font=times new roman,times,serif][size=2]2-Iron: PXG 0311x extreme dark - KBS Tour prototype hybrid 95s+[/size][/font][/i]
[i][font=times new roman,times,serif][size=2]Irons: Mizuno JPX919 Tour 5-pw - Project x lz 6.5[/size][/font][/i]
[i][font=times new roman,times,serif][size=2]Wedges: Mizuno T7 52&58 - KBS Custom Black Wedge shafts[/size][/font][/i]
[i][font=times new roman,times,serif][size=2]Putter: Toulon Atlanta Garage All black[/size][/font][/i]

11 minutes ago, MizunoMade said:

I played them for about 15 rounds. Really good wedges, superb feel. They have a smaller footprint so you need to like the smaller look. They are releasing a tour grind in the higher lofted wedges and that is worth waiting for if you like to manipulate your shots around the greens. The thing with dormy (Swedish retailer) is that you probably can’t order them custom at that offer but double check that.

Thanks for feedback The guy at the shop said i could.

9 minutes ago, No_Catchy_Nickname said:

I like my iron shafts to be on long side, so I order wedges longer than standard, but it may mean pretty high swing weights (like D5~6) if the OEM doesn't have any lighter heads.

No idea what swingweight is or how it would affect my game. But thanks 🙂

I think used but near new vokeys are a much better idea. I had them and really disliked them personally. Just something a bit odd. High bounce but played low due to a narrower sole just really no refinement compared to Vokey, Cleveland, TM, callaway, ping etc. There’s a reason none of their pros really play them. 

Callaway Mavrik SZ 8* Rogue White 130MSI 70x | Ventus Black 6x

Callaway Mavrik SZ 15* Rogue White 130MSI 80x | Ventus Blue 7x

Taylormade Sim UDI 2i Hzrdus Handcrafted Black 105x

Callaway Tour Issue Apex 2019 Hybrid @ 19* Veylix Rome 988X

Srixon z745 4-PW Dynamic Gold Tour Issue X100

Taylormade MG2 51* SB, 56* TW Grind, 60* TW Grind Dynamic Gold Tour Issue S400

Odyssey WH Pro #7 | Byron Morgan DH89 34.75/70*/2*

Srixon Z-Star XV

Ping Hoofer

1 hour ago, TigerInTheWoods said:

I think used but near new vokeys are a much better idea. I had them and really disliked them personally. Just something a bit odd. High bounce but played low due to a narrower sole just really no refinement compared to Vokey, Cleveland, TM, callaway, ping etc. There’s a reason none of their pros really play them. 

Wedges are like Linus' blanket.  Pros are funny about them.  If they like a certain look or grind or feel, they will stay loyal to that manufacturer obviously.  I think at the pro tour level it comes down to service and who you have grinding the wedge.  If you have someone who is really talented at shaping and grinding a wedge, some pro will find you. And some companies pursue their players and work hard with them to get them into a full bag, others are content with less.  

2 hours ago, TigerInTheWoods said:

Friends don't let friends play Titleist

• Haha 1

The Ever Changing Bag!  A lot of mixing and matching
Driver: TM Original One 11.5* set to 10*, Aldila RIP Alpha 80 X, 43.5"
3w:  Cobra King LTD, Matrix 8m3 X, 42"
Hybrid:  TaylorMade Stage 2 Tour, NV105 S or DGS400

Irons grab bag:  3-PW Mizuno MP37, Recoil Proto 125 F4 (reshaft pending); 1-PW Golden Ram TW282 or Vibration Matched Golden Rams, RIP Tour 115 R (coin flipping for the reshaft project); 1i & 3-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S
Wedges:  Dynacraft Dual Millled 52*, DGS400; Scratch 8620 DD 53*, SteelFiber i125 S; Ram Watson Scoring System 55*, DGX 7i shaft; Ram TG-898, DGS400; Ram TG-898, NV105 S; Wilson Staff PMP 58*, DGS300; Ram 1982 Commemorative Nickel 58*, Dynamic S; Ram TW282, DGS; Ram TW276, DGS; Ram Troon Grind 58*, Dynamic S; Maltby Design 60* mid sole, DGS400; Maltby Design 60* mid sole, NV105 S
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34"
Balls: Wilson Staff Duo Professional or TaylorMade TP5

I think they will fit the bill for wedges. Everybody is a short game guru that needs available wedge grinds but still shoot in the 80s. I have some interest in them too, I didn’t get the chance to swing them at Carl’s.  I’d say hit them and try out your normal shot shapes and techniques and see how they do, I will when I do 

• Like 2

Ping G400/ Ping tour 65 s

Cleveland launcher dst 3w/ diamana red board s 

Nike vrs covert 5w/ kurokage black s

Titleist 718 T-mb 4 iron / amt white s300

Titleist 716 AP2 5-pw/ amt white s300

Nike VR forged 52-56 / dynamic gold s400

Nike midnight method 006/ red pure grip 

4 hours ago, TigerInTheWoods said:

There’s a reason pros play their own grind outside the ones you have. There’s also a reason they release someone’s “grind” for you peons.  Lol fan boy.  You the guy who needs all these grind options but end up playing standard shots. 

25 minutes ago, SylvesterLundgren said:

There’s a reason pros play their own grind outside the ones you have. There’s also a reason they release someone’s “grind” for you peons.  Lol fan boy.  You the guy who needs all these grind options but end up playing standard shots. 

You literally know nothing of my game. I’m not going to dignify that BS with a response other than, I have a very diverse and high end wedge game. 

As for the wedges, have you owned a full set of them? Because I have and I really disliked them. They also wore incredibly fast. For the same money you can get better and I truly believe that. 

Srixon Z-Star XV

Ping Hoofer

5 minutes ago, TigerInTheWoods said:

You literally know nothing of my game. I’m not going to dignify that BS with a response other than, I have a very diverse and high end wedge game. 

As for the wedges, have you owned a full set of them? Because I have and I really disliked them. They also wore incredibly fast. For the same money you can get better and I truly believe that. 

We’re talking about the 2021 line up? The ones that come stock with the 120 s300?? I can agree that since they’re listed as “forged” they will probably wear down compared to the softer cast clubs no debate there.  
I don’t need to know your game to see your opinion/approach. I meant it in satire as well but I can see how it came off heavy handed. 
I’ll be honest my response is one based off of skill because if technique is versatile and abundant then you could make most wedges work. I haven’t had the chance to swing the Wilson’s but I will give them a fair look regardless of the grind/bounce available 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, SylvesterLundgren said:

I’ll be honest my response is one based off of skill because if technique is versatile and abundant then you could make most wedges work. I haven’t had the chance to swing the Wilson’s but I will give them a fair look regardless of the grind/bounce available 

Yeah.  I agree on that one.  Because of this pandemic, my wedge game has improved tremendously learning to use the bounce correctly doing hundreds of pitch, flop and pitch shots against a net in my basement which transitioned very very well in real world conditions.  I also tend to practice off of crappy and bare lies when I'm at a chipping green which gives me very little room for error.  I didn't use a $200+ Vokey wedge to practice with but an old SW from a '97 Callaway Bertha Gold set.  I'm not going to judge anyone's wedge opinions but can only speak for myself but I can pretty much get around the course now with any wedge.  I can even get away with only using a PW or even a 9 iron if needed.

Edited by cgasucks
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10.5 deg Titleist 905R with stock UST Proforce V2 Shaft
1999 Ben Hogan Apex Blades (3-PW) with stock Apex 4 Steel Shafts
Taylormade V-Steel 5W & 3W with Grafalloy Prolaunch Red shafts
Taylormade ATV wedges in 54 and 58 degrees with stock steel shafts
Rife Island Series Aruba Blade Putter

"Loft for loft, length for length, and shaft for shaft, the ball will go the same distance when hit on the sweet spot regardless how old the iron."

2 minutes ago, cgasucks said:

Yeah.  I agree on that one.  Because of this pandemic, my wedge game has improved tremendously learning to use the bounce correctly doing hundreds of pitch, flop and pitch shots against a net in my basement and translated very very well in real world conditions.  I didn't use a $200+ Vokey wedge to practice with but an old SW from a '97 Callaway Bertha Gold set.  I'm not going to judge anyone's wedge opinions but can only speak for myself but I can pretty get around the course now with any wedge.  I can even get away with using a PW if needed.

Most definitely, I’ve mentioned to my teammates about using a pw even with a slight open face for a quick nipper he seems surprised over that shot idea. Lol he prefers to close down a 60 and play that style of shot.

Everybody is different and has a different “feel” towards their short games. I don’t advocate to change your swing but I do with style of technical work and training those approach thoughts leading into playing a shot.  Those people who are unfamiliar seem to think I am trying to coach a swing out of them. Lol 

• Like 1

Guys, I'm not saying I couldn't play them I'm saying I didn't prefer them? My buddy who plays on tour and I stood on the range and went back and forth hitting a bunch of different shots with my old gamers, his gamers, and the Wilson with pro v1s and they just flat out weren't as good for our games. He's a +4 and I'm a +1 (at the time - gone up a bit since). I just thought they were a bit clunky and didn't like how they went through the ground. It's an equipment forum and we are talking about a piece of equipment. I'm not a Vokey fanboy. I have a couple of really nice forged Vokey JDM and they didn't wear nearly as bad for the record, but also game MG2 TW grind because they work best for my game. 

• Like 1

Srixon Z-Star XV

Ping Hoofer

3 minutes ago, TigerInTheWoods said:

Guys, I'm not saying I couldn't play them I'm saying I didn't prefer them? My buddy who plays on tour and I stood on the range and went back and forth hitting a bunch of different shots with my old gamers, his gamers, and the Wilson with pro v1s and they just flat out weren't as good for our games. He's a +4 and I'm a +1 (at the time - gone up a bit since). I just thought they were a bit clunky and didn't like how they went through the ground. It's an equipment forum and we are talking about a piece of equipment. I'm not a Vokey fanboy. I have a couple of really nice forged Vokey JDM and they didn't wear nearly as bad for the record, but also game MG2 TW grind because they work best for my game. 

Lol it was in jest. You’re not a fanboy ! I get that they’re others that can share better traits for the short game. Should have lead with this statement instead of your first one. It’s all love 🙏🏻 Lol 

Liking how a wedge looks is check 1, which you do.  Limited grinds/bounces is only a negative if the ones they have don't agree with you.  Options are great, but if you don't need them then you don't need them.  I always look at sole width. 

Playing 1" longer is about 6 SW points.  I'll assume the STAFF model wedges start at about D4 -- so, they'll end up really heavy.  For you, how about 1/2" longer than standard.  Then, I like the idea of having a minimum length on your wedges; in other words, after the PW or gap stop stepping them down.  

13 minutes ago, shot-savior said:

Liking how a wedge looks is check 1, which you do.  Limited grinds/bounces is only a negative if the ones they have don't agree with you.  Options are great, but if you don't need them then you don't need them.  I always look at sole width. 

Playing 1" longer is about 6 SW points.  I'll assume the STAFF model wedges start at about D4 -- so, they'll end up really heavy.  For you, how about 1/2" longer than standard.  Then, I like the idea of having a minimum length on your wedges; in other words, after the PW or gap stop stepping them down.  

Thanks for the explanation! Hopefully helps with gapping aswell since i never really managed to fix it between PW and gap. 50 little or no gap and 52 abit too much. Saves me the time learing how to 3/4 my PW 🤪

11 hours ago, MizunoMade said:

I ordered mine from Dormy with custom shafts and got the 3 for 2 deal. 

Great wedges.