Jump to content

I'm going there: Vokey Wedges...


Recommended Posts

  • Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Anything raw shouldn't be upcharged at all...

I know, I know...it's petty but I'm gonna say it.... Slate blue AND raw vokey wedges shouldn't be a premium.  Both should simply be part of their normal lineup.   Do you guys agree or disagr

We have one less step in the process and that saves us money. It will cost you extra for the convenience. Have a nice day.

Posted Images

As a guy that plays raw vokeys, I get it. There shouldn’t be an up charge because it’s less steps for the manufacturer. I also understand the golf market that raw wedges are a niche market. 99% of golfers don’t realize that the guys on tour play raw wedges. The average golfer is going to choose the chrome or black wedge over the raw every single day of the week. The people that are adamant about playing raw wedges (like myself) are willing to pay for an up charge even if they believe it’s ridiculous (like myself). The complaints about an upcharge for raw wedges are tired and overplayed. Nothing is ever going to happen. We just have to accept it. 

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, AThompson_3 said:

As a guy that plays raw vokeys, I get it. There shouldn’t be an up charge because it’s less steps for the manufacturer. I also understand the golf market that raw wedges are a niche market. 99% of golfers don’t realize that the guys on tour play raw wedges. The average golfer is going to choose the chrome or black wedge over the raw every single day of the week. The people that are adamant about playing raw wedges (like myself) are willing to pay for an up charge even if they believe it’s ridiculous (like myself). The complaints about an upcharge for raw wedges are tired and overplayed. Nothing is ever going to happen. We just have to accept it. 

 

I don't understand why anyone would pay an upcharge for the raw wedges when you can just buy the black wedges and easily remove the paint in a matter of hours letting it soak in vinagar (I think, I can't remember what I used).  It's silly.  Get a raw wedge in 1 easy step.

 

Could probably sandblast the other 2 options to get the same thing if wanted.  

 

I buy a ton of golf stuff so when I complain about something like this it's my way of saying, I don't support this pricing concept and therefore don't buy premium vokeys brand new.  It's just losing easy business for Titleist.

Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, Rory4Pres said:

I don't understand why anyone would pay an upcharge for the raw wedges when you can just buy the black wedges and easily remove the paint in a matter of hours letting it soak in vinagar (I think, I can't remember what I used).  It's silly.  Get a raw wedge in 1 easy step.

 

People are going to tend to choose convenience over saving a few bucks 99% of the time. Titleist knows this so they are taking advantage of it. Nothing wrong with a little capitalism. 

 

It's basically the same as changing the oil in your car. Sure I could buy the oil for $15 and do it myself at home in about an hour, but I'd rather pay someone $40 to do it so I don't have to do the work. Saving that extra $20-30 just isn't worth it for me. 

 

 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

Why act like this is unique to the golf industry?

 

Companies in all sorts of industries release a base product and then after some time release a different version of that product with cosmetic "upgrades" and charge more for it.

 

 

PING G410 LST 9* VA Nemesys 65X

PING G410 LST 14.5* Tour AD DI 7X

Srixon U85 18* Tour AD 95X

Titleist 818 H2 20* Tour AD DI 85X

Mizuno MP20 HMB 4 Tour AD 95X

Mizuno JPX 919 Tour 5-9 Oban CT 115 X(-)

Titleist Vokey SM7 46F - 54S - 59D

Mizuno M Craft II

Bridgestone Tour B X

Link to post
Share on other sites
48 minutes ago, Rory4Pres said:

 

I don't understand why anyone would pay an upcharge for the raw wedges when you can just buy the black wedges and easily remove the paint in a matter of hours letting it soak in vinagar (I think, I can't remember what I used).  It's silly.  Get a raw wedge in 1 easy step.

 

I think they went the extra step of making that a lot harder with the SM8, I couldn’t actually get it down to a raw wedge that way (used CLR). I could remove the black but I couldn’t do much more. SM7 and 6 it was easy though. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, Abh159 said:

 

People are going to tend to choose convenience over saving a few bucks 99% of the time. Titleist knows this so they are taking advantage of it. Nothing wrong with a little capitalism. 

 

It's basically the same as changing the oil in your car. Sure I could buy the oil for $15 and do it myself at home in about an hour, but I'd rather pay someone $40 to do it so I don't have to do the work. Saving that extra $20-30 just isn't worth it for me. 

 

 

 

Terrible comparison, removing the black paint is easier than making a sandwich.  I think 99% of people would spend 3 minutes of their time to save $40+.  They simply don't know that's an option.

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, FatThinShank said:

I think they went the extra step of making that a lot harder with the SM8, I couldn’t actually get it down to a raw wedge that way (used CLR). I could remove the black but I couldn’t do much more. SM7 and 6 it was easy though. 

Ahhhhh, interesting and evil.  Man, maybe I need to check out mizuno wedges next go round.  Have played exclusively vokeys for the past 8 years or so.

Link to post
Share on other sites

As mentioned, the black wedges stripped to raw won't rust up the same way as a raw does because of how the black finish is applied during the manufacturing process. They also know that the user that has to have raw wedges will ultimately pay the extra money for them so it's a business decision.  Same reason they don't release the slate blue finish until year 2, they know they can get people who want to have them to buy the chrome or black the 1st year, and then the 2nd year will buy the slate wedges whether they played enough to wear the grooves down or not. They're in the business of making money and they know the people who are specific for those types of things will shell out the extra coin to have what they want. Not saying that it's right (it's not) but it's business.

  • Like 1

Testing
Nike Vapor Fly 3HL Matrix 8M2
Titleist 910HD Fuji HB 90/Nike VFP 3 Fuji P95X
T-MB 4 C-Taper 130X

T-MB 5 PX LS 7.0
6-PW VR Pro CB/MB Raw Combo PX LS 7.0
Vokey TVD 52/58 KBS Tour 130X
PM Grind 64 KBS Tour 130X
Studio Design 1.5 Circle T/Arm Lock Double Wide

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, AThompson_3 said:

As a guy that plays raw vokeys, I get it. There shouldn’t be an up charge because it’s less steps for the manufacturer. I also understand the golf market that raw wedges are a niche market. 99% of golfers don’t realize that the guys on tour play raw wedges. The average golfer is going to choose the chrome or black wedge over the raw every single day of the week. The people that are adamant about playing raw wedges (like myself) are willing to pay for an up charge even if they believe it’s ridiculous (like myself). The complaints about an upcharge for raw wedges are tired and overplayed. Nothing is ever going to happen. We just have to accept it. 

Well, you pay more to get Titleist stamped on it so why not....

Link to post
Share on other sites

I think there's definitely a supply and demand issue here. Because tour players want them, we want them, and we'll pay for them. Heck...people pay more for Tour Issue shafts, and the only difference is tighter tolerances for weight because that's what they get on tour. 

 

I think there's also a retail element here. As someone mentioned before, most people have no idea about raw wedges. Selling raw wedges is hard at the retail level because they don't look as nice as the finished wedges. Yes, a raw wedge is fewer steps, but the OEMs are (rightfully for them) making SO MANY MORE chrome/slate/finished wedges. It just kind of makes sense to charge more for a fringe request.

 

With all that said...Callaway's raw wedge is the same price as the other options. So yeah.

 

 

TS3 10.5 (A1) Project X Even Flow White 65 6.0

TS2 15 (B1) Project X Even Flow White 75 6.0
TS3 19 (C4) Project X Even Flow White 90 6.0
PING iBlade 4-5 DGS400
PING Blueprint 6-PW DGS400
SM7 51, 56, 60 in Tour Chrome, DG S200
Scotty Cameron 009m and Tour Newport 
Pro V1x YELLOW / Vice Pro+ Lime / Srixon Z-Star XV Yellow

Link to post
Share on other sites

There's always a market for clubs that are a) visually different and b) have some sort of Tour connection. Certain people want to own those clubs BECAUSE they aren't available at retail and they cost more, not in spite of it.

 

The raw finish Vokeys are one such product. The specialness and expensiveness is part of the marketing package.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, lefthack said:

 

We have one less step in the process and that saves us money. It will cost you extra for the convenience. Have a nice day.

While I do agree the upcharge is too much, in the long run the logistics of keeping those heads on hand is what costs more. 95% of the golfing population thinks rust is bad, if someone sees a rusted out wedge in a store they are not going to want to buy it, I'm guessing inventory issues is why vokey stopped offering a raw finish at retail long ago (and even then, those oil can finishes had some protection). The cost of the post processing is small, they are all finished in big batches. The cost to custom build one off's is not small.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Abh159 said:

 

People are going to tend to choose convenience over saving a few bucks 99% of the time. Titleist knows this so they are taking advantage of it. Nothing wrong with a little capitalism. 

 

It's basically the same as changing the oil in your car. Sure I could buy the oil for $15 and do it myself at home in about an hour, but I'd rather pay someone $40 to do it so I don't have to do the work. Saving that extra $20-30 just isn't worth it for me. 

 

 

 

You buy 3 wedges which most will do that is $120 plus tax. If you're in Canada like myself and may other WRX'ers that's $150 CAD plus taxes. That ain't a convenience fee that's a money grab, that's a really nice round of golf where I'm at. s*** I'll buy the Jet Black and soak them in Coke for a few hours to get my raw wedges. I'll use a bit of elbow grease to get what I want, paying that price is an inconvenience.  

Lefty WITB

Driver: 9° Ping G410 Plus - Tour 65S

3W: 13.5° Ping G410 LST - Aldila NV 2KXV Green 75X

3H: 19° Ping G410 - Tensei CK Pro Orange 90TX

Irons: 4i - 7i Srixon 585 / 8i - PW Srixon 785 - AMT Tour White S300

Wedges: 51° MD3 - 56° Glide 2 - 60° PM2

Putter(s): TP Mills Handmade - SIK Pro Tour Proto - MannKrafted MA/66 LN - and more. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, lefthack said:

 

We have one less step in the process and that saves us money. It will cost you extra for the convenience. Have a nice day.

The phrase "Less is more" certainly takes on a new meaning...

  • Like 1

Driver PING G10 (12*)

Fairway Woods Callaway Big Bertha Warbird (16*, 20*, 24*)

Irons PING G10 XG (5-9, PW, UW)

Wedges PING Eye2 XG (55*, 60*)

Putter PING Karsten 1959 Anser X (35")

Bag Datrek DG Lite II

Cart Clicgear 3.5+

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Krt22 said:

While I do agree the upcharge is too much, in the long run the logistics of keeping those heads on hand is what costs more. 95% of the golfing population thinks rust is bad, if someone sees a rusted out wedge in a store they are not going to want to buy it, I'm guessing inventory issues is why vokey stopped offering a raw finish at retail long ago (and even then, those oil can finishes had some protection). The cost of the post processing is small, they are all finished in big batches. The cost to custom build one off's is not small.

 

It's not like they are storing these in a box in the back yard. Yes, rust is bad. But the only way you will get rust is to expose them. 

 

Unless I'm missing something. My wedges aren't raw, either.

Taylormade R1 driver

Taylormade M1 3/5 wood

Nike CPR 3h

Nike VR Pro 4h

Nike Vapor Pro Combo 3, 5-PW (I need a left 4 iron)

Nike SV Wedge 56

Tout "Percision" [sic] Milled TP-M5 putter

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, lefthack said:

 

It's not like they are storing these in a box in the back yard. Yes, rust is bad. But the only way you will get rust is to expose them. 

 

Unless I'm missing something. My wedges aren't raw, either.

If they are really raw, it only takes a little bit of moisture to start the process, which then compounds quickly. I imagine it can be an issue in any of the numerous humid parts of the country, it can happen during shipping, etc.

Edited by Krt22
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, FatThinShank said:

I think they went the extra step of making that a lot harder with the SM8, I couldn’t actually get it down to a raw wedge that way (used CLR). I could remove the black but I couldn’t do much more. SM7 and 6 it was easy though. 

Use toilet bowl cleaner and finish with a scotch bright pad. Still not the same as the factory raw finish, bit its close

Link to post
Share on other sites

Upcharge is the result of a manufacturing spec that requires taking additional steps not inline with stock manufacturing steps.  RAW and Blue require additional steps, therefore additional costs are incurred and passed on to the retail consumer.

 

Last I knew creating a RAW surface is NOT actually raw like the raw material used to form the head in the press.

  • Titleist TS2 9.5', Ventus 5 "S"
  • Titleist TS2 16', Ventus 7 "S"
  • Titleist 718 T-MB 17' 2i TENSEI AV White AM(2) "S"
  • Titleist 620 Series 3i-PW TENSEI AV White AM(2) "S"
  • SM6 F-52/8 TENSEI AV White AM(2) "S"
  • SM6 M-58/8 DGS200 "S"
  • SC CA Monterey
  • ProV1 or AVX
Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Pepperturbo said:

Upcharge is the result of a manufacturing spec that requires taking additional steps not inline with stock manufacturing steps.  RAW and Blue require additional steps, therefore additional costs are incurred and passed on to the retail consumer.

 

Last I knew creating a RAW surface is NOT actually raw like the raw material used to form the head in the press.

 

Paying for anything non-standard would likely require an upcharge to cover costs.

 

Doesn't make it sound any less funny to be up charged for "raw". Just saying.

Taylormade R1 driver

Taylormade M1 3/5 wood

Nike CPR 3h

Nike VR Pro 4h

Nike Vapor Pro Combo 3, 5-PW (I need a left 4 iron)

Nike SV Wedge 56

Tout "Percision" [sic] Milled TP-M5 putter

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, lefthack said:

 

Paying for anything non-standard would likely require an upcharge to cover costs.

 

Doesn't make it sound any less funny to be up charged for "raw". Just saying.

But RAW is NOT actually raw like you're thinking.  It's a process - like Chrome or Satin, etc.

  • Titleist TS2 9.5', Ventus 5 "S"
  • Titleist TS2 16', Ventus 7 "S"
  • Titleist 718 T-MB 17' 2i TENSEI AV White AM(2) "S"
  • Titleist 620 Series 3i-PW TENSEI AV White AM(2) "S"
  • SM6 F-52/8 TENSEI AV White AM(2) "S"
  • SM6 M-58/8 DGS200 "S"
  • SC CA Monterey
  • ProV1 or AVX
Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, soregongolfer said:

$199 for a wedge?  Holy schnikes.

 

And to think I am getting 3 free with my irons purchase. 🤣

 

But seriously, they are damn nice.

Taylormade R1 driver

Taylormade M1 3/5 wood

Nike CPR 3h

Nike VR Pro 4h

Nike Vapor Pro Combo 3, 5-PW (I need a left 4 iron)

Nike SV Wedge 56

Tout "Percision" [sic] Milled TP-M5 putter

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Pepperturbo said:

But RAW is NOT actually raw like you're thinking.  It's a process - like Chrome or Satin, etc.

No it's not, its actually raw, ie no plating or coating of any kind, that is exactly why it rusts. There may be one additional finishing step to get a uniform surface, but I would not call it an additional process 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, Krt22 said:

No it's not, its actually raw, ie no plating or coating of any kind, that is exactly why it rusts. There may be one additional finishing step to get a uniform surface, but I would not call it an additional process 

I understand.  I don't work for them so not speaking for them.  I am just speaking as a CEO of a different product based company, that I sold.  If any product is modified in a way that is not inline with current production standards, it's a change that increases production costs, so the cost is passed on.

 

Edited by Pepperturbo
  • Like 1
  • Titleist TS2 9.5', Ventus 5 "S"
  • Titleist TS2 16', Ventus 7 "S"
  • Titleist 718 T-MB 17' 2i TENSEI AV White AM(2) "S"
  • Titleist 620 Series 3i-PW TENSEI AV White AM(2) "S"
  • SM6 F-52/8 TENSEI AV White AM(2) "S"
  • SM6 M-58/8 DGS200 "S"
  • SC CA Monterey
  • ProV1 or AVX
Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, Pepperturbo said:

I understand.  I don't work for them so not speaking for them.  I am just speaking as a CEO of a different product based company, that I sold.  If any product is modified in a way that is not inline with current production standards, it's a change that increases production costs, so the cost is passed on.

 

I think we can agree it doesn’t make it 40$ more expensive, they charge that because they can and people will pay for it. The extra step of pulling some heads off the assembly line early before they get a certain finish is not a 25% increase in cost. Other companies offer raw finish and don’t charge extra. 

Edited by FatThinShank
  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   1 member

  • Our picks

    • 2021 WGC Workday Championship @ The Concession Photos- Links & Discussion (UpDaTeD)
      Please post any questions or comments here.
       
      Links...
       
      2021 WGC Workday Championship - Tuesday #1
      2021 WGC Workday Championship - Tuesday #2
      2021 WGC Workday Championship - Tuesday #3
      2021 WGC Workday Championship - Tuesday #4
      2021 WGC Workday Championship - Tuesday #5
      2021 WGC Workday Championship - Tuesday #6
      Cameron Smith's Cameron 11.5 putter - 2021 WGC Workday Championship
      Cameron putter 2021 WGC Workday Championship
      2021 Ping putters - 2021 WGC Workday Championship
      Rory wearing new Nike Tour Victory II shoes - 2021 WGC Workday Championship
      Odyssey putters - 2021 WGC Workday Championship
       
      • 46 replies
    • 2021 AT&T Pebble Beach - discussion
      2021 AT&T Pebble Beach - Tuesday #1
      2021 AT&T Pebble Beach - Tuesday #2
       
      2021 AT&T Pebble Beach - Tuesday #3
       
      2021 AT&T Pebble Beach - Tuesday #4
       
      2021 AT&T Pebble Beach - Tuesday #5
       
      2021 AT&T Pebble Beach - Tuesday #6
       
      2021 AT&T Pebble Beach - Tuesday #7
       
      2021 AT&T Pebble Beach - Tuesday #8
       
      2021 AT&T Pebble Beach - Tuesday #9

      Ryan Moore with Axis 1 putter @ 2021 AT&T PB
       
       
       
      Please post any questions and comments here
      • 59 replies
    • 2021 Waste Management Phoenix Open - Discussion
      General galleries
      2021 Waste Management Phoenix Open - Tuesday #1
      2021 Waste Management Phoenix Open - Tuesday #2
      2021 Waste Management Phoenix Open - Tuesday #3
      2021 Waste Management Phoenix Open - Tuesday #4
      Monday Qualifier for Waste Management Open 
      Special galleries
       
      Ping PLD putters - 2021 WMPO Scott Brown with MMT graphite shafts in his ProTo Concept irons - 2021 WMPO TaylorMade putter cover from 2021 Waste Management Phoenix Open New Srixon golf balls - 2021 WMPO Bettinardi putters & cover - 2021 Waste Management Phoenix Open Cameron putters -2021 Waste Management Phoenix Open Piretti putters -2021 Waste Management Phoenix Open Cameron mallets - 2021 WMPO Odyssey 2-ball Ten - 2021 WMPO  
      Please put any questions or comments here
       
      Jason Day's Bag...
        • Like
      • 21 replies
    • 2021 FARMERS WITB & Equipment Photos- Links and comments
      We are back on the ground at the 2021 Farmers PGA Tour event. Please add you comments in this thread. Here are links to all the galleries:
       
      Special galleries:
      2021 Farmers - Tuesday #1
      2021 Farmers - Tuesday #2
      2021 Farmers - Tuesday #3
      2021 Farmers - Tuesday #4
      2021 Farmers - Tuesday #5
       
      2021 Farmers - Tuesday #6
       
      2021 Farmers - Tuesday #7
       
      Cameron putters - Farmers 2021
       
      Odyssey 2-ball Ten - Farmers 2021
       
      Project X Even Flow RipTide MX & LX proto shafts - Framers 2021
       
      TaylorMade putter cover for Torrey Pines - Farmers 2021
       
      Sling Shot training aid - Farmers 2021
       
       
      • 47 replies
    • 2021 American Express WITB & Equipment Photos- Links and comments
      We are back on the ground at the American Express PGA event.
       
      Here are links to all the galleries:
       
      Cameron putters - 2021 American Express
      PXG Gen 4 prototype drivers - new putters
      UST Maymiya LinQ shafts - American Express 2021
      Mitsubishi Kaili & MMT shafts - American Express 2021
      Titleist TSi 2 & TSi 3 hybrids - American Express 2021
      TaylorMade putter cover for Palm Springs/Palm Desert - American Express
      New Aldila Synergy, Ascent & prototype shafts - American Express 2021
      Callaway Apex Pro iron, Epic Driver and fairway, Apex iron & hybrid - American Express 2021
      New Perfect Practice training aids - American Express 2021
      New KBS prototype shafts - American Express 2021
       
        • Like
      • 18 replies

×
×
  • Create New...