2021 Ping putters - 2021 WGC Workday Championship (Updated w/ Specs)

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

It’s amazing how distracting that bottom gets when rolling the rock 🤦🏻‍♂️ 

Spec and FAQ's   MOI and Materials: The three Anser versions (Anser, Anser 2, Anser 4) combine a stainless-steel head with tungsten heel and toe weights to elevate MOI. In the Kushin 4, DS 7

Ping putters need an overhaul.  It's sad but I believe a number of golfwrx users could design a better line.  Mizuno has a better putter line than ping!  I think they all need options for no sight lin

Posted Images

I love the Anser 2 my Dad gave me that he had for YEARS, but I’ve not had much success with Ping putters. I tried the Ketsch when it first came out, but it was out of the bag within a month. Maybe if I lived in AZ near their HQ and could do the full fitting I’d finally find one that works. I’ve liked the looks of many of them, just not the function, or even feel.

The look at address is pretty clean for most of these. I don't really care about what the bottom looks like. That being said I hope PING got the feel right with these, lately they have this issue where their putters are either way too soft or extremely firm. The best feeling PING putter in the last 10 years is still the old Anser milled line from 2011.

Surprised nobody has pointed out what looks like tungsten heel/toe weights on the face of several models. Pretty cool. I'm guessing the insert is fairly light and the tungsten weights add the weight back. Also the TR grooves are gone, which personally I think is a good idea. Most of their tour staff doesn't seem to want the TR grooves. 

IMG_4498.jpeg.b2eecea2d2f9aa9f92a732cfc9a549c9.jpg.9fb2c88c2219b134f2b7175473062579.jpg

Edited by nova6868
  • Like 1

Did someone get drunk watch too much knight rider ???

Driver 9* Titleist Tsi3 BLK 6x tipped 1”  45.5” C2 3w Tsi3 15* B1 Ventus Red 9x tipped 2" 43”2i 19.5* T-MB AD DI 105x (Tipped 2.5”)  Sans 2i R15 5w Fit on Pro 95XX (tipped 2.5”)Titleist MB 620 3-PW (47* PW) Tour Issue X100s (HSx1) lie angle 620mb std specs + .25 to .5” Vokey Wedge Works Sm8 D grind 54(@53*) bounce 12* | custom grind leading edge relief w/ Nippon 125 x + 1” lie angle 63* Sm8 K grind 58(@59*) low bounce 6* | custom grind heel relief w/ Nippon 125 x + 1” lie angle 63 | Bettinardi BB8 tri sole - 70* Lie angle 2* of loft Super Stroke GT 1.0
All woods & 2i hot melted, GP Tour Velvet . 580 Ping Hoofer 

On 2/23/2021 at 3:15 PM, UnderPar18 said:

I just feel like Ping putters keep getting uglier and cheaper looking. I’ll get backlash for this comment, but even there PLD releases IMO have been lackluster.

Agreed these look awful. I actually like some of their recent PLD releases though. Their retail lines just get worse and worse looking.

I think they look pretty good lol

• Like 1

Ping G425 LST 9* - Fujikura Ventus Black 6x

Taylormade SIM Rocket 14* - Aldila NV Green NXT 75x

Callaway x2 Hot Pro 18* Hybrid - PX Even Flow Blue 85g 6.5 // Ping i500 3i (18*) - Nippon Modus 3 105x

Titleist 620 CB 4+5, MB 6-P - KBS $ Taper 130

Vokey SM8 50*-8F (@51*), 56*-10S, 60*-08M - KBS Tour V Wedge

Ping Vault 2.0 Dale Anser

14 hours ago, rumstove said:

Fully agree with this. PP58 midsize is my favorite putter grip.

I doubt they're gonna stop producing these, but if they are I'll have to buy like 10

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Callaway x2 Hot Pro 18* Hybrid - PX Even Flow Blue 85g 6.5 // Ping i500 3i (18*) - Nippon Modus 3 105x

I get people who are upset with the business/tech in these. They're probably due for Vault 3.0 next year (Redwood 2.0 would also be really cool)

But concerning this line, I like the look of both the Ansers and both the Tynes, and the Hovland one too. I like the night rider look - you can see the tech but it looks sleek, still. Especially at address. What really matters is that the head shapes are nice, and I'm curious to see what the insert feels like.

Edited by mattman
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

That's so fetch

• Thanks 1

Taylormade SIM2 10.5* at 10 | Diamana D+ 70TX - Brooks Koepka US Open Edition

Taylormade M2 Tour 16.5*  | Diamana D+ 80 TX 

Nike Vapor Fly Pro 3 Iron | Fujikura Pro Tour Spec 95 X

Mizuno JPX 919 Tour 4-PW  | Tour Issue X100 

Titleist SM7 Raw 52/56 | Tour Issue S400 

Titleist SM8 Raw 60 L Grind | Tour Issue S400

Scotty Cameron Newport 2 Button Back 

I feel bad piling on because I’ve already commented in this thread, but I really hope Ping reads this forum and catches on. As a die hard Ping fan, I feel like they’re losing their consumer base with their putters, which should be their bread and butter. This is company that is so in-tune with drivers and irons that I can’t understand what’s happening with putters. Please Ping, read this thread and realize that a refocus, reorg, or reinvestment is necessary in your putter line development, otherwise you’ll continue losing market share to your competitors, who have repurposed your designs. Keep putting out this #*it and you’ll be the next Ray Cook.  

• Like 3
15 hours ago, tannerdc said:

I was told there will be a Hovland DS 72 released in March.  Anybody know anything about this?

That headshape is in this new line. 

Unfortunately it has an unattractive cheapo black (i.e. fast wearing) finish with 80s style red and white blocks on the sole, and a plastic insert - instead of the bronze look antiqued carbon steel of the PLD Hovi.

• PING G400 Max 9* Tensei Orange 60g S
  • PING Anser 17 & 20* hybrids Graphite Design 85S
  • PING iBlades Green Dot CFS 80-S
  • PING Anser Forged wedges Blue Dot DG Spinner
  • PING JAS Wti Anser 35" PP60

I liked the Sigma2 Fetch. Passed on Heppler; I'm actually happy about the cover and the single line.

Frankly I don't get the comments. I think they look fine. I'm in no hurry to change my putter, but I just don't see what most see here as "cheap", etc.

I'm a little concerned about the two-layer pebax, but we'll see how it does in the real world. I'm just shocked at the true-roll removal. 

• Like 1

410LST 8º, 2h 15.5º, 3h 20º, 210 4i, Blueprint s400ti, forged 50/54/58, fetch with breakthrough shaft. First par round 4 Oct 2020.

On 2/23/2021 at 1:59 PM, MaineMariner said:

Man, Lamkin's doing a really good job getting their grips on putters these days. Off to the top of my head, Taylormade, Cleveland, Bettinardi, Toulon, and now Ping have offered Lamkin Sink Fit grips as their standard grip on one of their retail lines.

I am not a fan of the material those Sink Fit grips use, so I hope this doesn't mean that Ping and Golf Pride are breaking up. The PP58 midsize is the best feeling rubber grip on the market, in this humble poster's opinion.

Grip options from the Ping Japan site:  (Not always what the US gets)8 midsize (black / red)Weight: about 83g

img_grip01.pngimg_grip_end01.png

PP58 midsize (black / red) Weight: Approximately 83g 

It features a soft texture. The energy transfer is good, and the feeling of impact is directly transmitted to your hand.

img_grip02.pngimg_grip_end02.png easy to

PP60 (black / white) Weight: Approximately 88g

It features a slightly hard texture. The flat shape makes it easy to be aware of the face surface.

All the posted videos show the players using the PP58 grip.

I can't seem to find any shaft info yet. Looks like they may have both single length and adjustable length options, but haven't found any details. Anyone find anything?

On 2/23/2021 at 3:15 PM, UnderPar18 said:

I just feel like Ping putters keep getting uglier and cheaper looking. I’ll get backlash for this comment, but even there PLD releases IMO have been lackluster.

I agree.  And I don’t get it.  The path to success is easy.  A milled body , an insert that isn’t too soft , but not rock hard , and several alignment / neck options.  Keep the price under $300.     But these look like the parts don’t fit together instead of precision  fit.  

• Like 1

Titleist tsi2 10* Mitsubishi TB 70x 

Titleist ts2 16.5 * Tensei CK pro Blue 80TX

Cobra F9  7 wood 22.5 blue board 80TX 

Titleist T100 4-pw   modus 130x 

Vokey sm7 50*54*58*v grind s400

Cameron GSS 009  1.5 , sound slot , tungsten sole weights , head speed shaft. 

I don’t love the bottom of them and the bit of red on the insert. That’s not a big deal. From the top I like the look and the black shaft. A Tyne C is a great addition. Does anyone have any recent rumors of a preorder and release date? 

PING G410 LST 10.5* --- PING Tour 65-S

PING G410 17.5* FW --- Aldila Tour Green 75-S

PING G410 20* & 23* Hybrids --- Aldila Tour Green 85-S

PING i210 5-UW --- Nippon Modus 120-S

PING Glide 3.0 Eye2 56* & 60* --- KBS Hi Rev 2.0 125

TaylorMade 2011 Ghost Spider Center Shaft

On 3/2/2021 at 4:58 AM, mco said:

Grip options from the Ping Japan site:  (Not always what the US gets)8 midsize (black / red)Weight: about 83g

img_grip01.pngimg_grip_end01.png

PP58 midsize (black / red) Weight: Approximately 83g 

It features a soft texture. The energy transfer is good, and the feeling of impact is directly transmitted to your hand.

img_grip02.pngimg_grip_end02.png easy to

PP60 (black / white) Weight: Approximately 88g

It features a slightly hard texture. The flat shape makes it easy to be aware of the face surface.

All the posted videos show the players using the PP58 grip.

I can't seem to find any shaft info yet. Looks like they may have both single length and adjustable length options, but haven't found any details. Anyone find anything?

I can get on board with an improved PP58 mid grip.

PING G400 Max 10.5° (-)
(fw tbd)
PING i25 22°, 26°
Callaway XHP 6-AW
PING Glide Forged 54°, 58°
PING TR B60, 35"
Srixon Z-Star Yellow
On 2/24/2021 at 10:56 PM, nova6868 said:

The best feeling PING putter in the last 10 years is still the old Anser milled line from 2011.

Hadn't thought of it like that until you mentioned this. I have an Anser milled, Anser 1 and have tried other putters to replace it with over the years and nothing has been able to do so. Might just be the feel that I'm favoring as well. 

I also have an Anser 4 from the milled line. Feels (or sounds) a little firmer than the Anser 1 to me. So different variations in shape, face thickness, even subtle ones can affect the feel even within the same line of putters.

• Like 1
  • easyyy changed the title to 2021 Ping putters - 2021 WGC Workday Championship (Updated w/ Specs)