Tiger Car Accident. ***All Content Subject to Moderation***

HateTheHighDraw

1 hour ago, Socrates said:

After looking at the photos, videos and the maps of the scene it is amazing it wasn't worse.  He just missed that double-pole hydro pole.  If he had hit that instead of brush, we likely would be eulogizing him right now.  Just want to see him be able to walk "normal" again. 

Looking at what we know

- late going to where he needed to be,

- likely going faster than the posted limit (50-70 mph),

- and just coming off a small stretch of straightish road.

It is most likely a case of distracted driving.  Looking at his phone or texting someone on his eta and didn't realize there was a bend in the road.  By the time he hits the median and processes what it going on, he likely is already into the trees.  That's why you don't see skid marks.

I don't think we need to look any farther than that.  Happens every day all over the world.  Just common stupidity that we see out of drivers every day.  I still remember doing 80 mph on the freeway in Phoenix - 6 lanes wide - and looking over at the car beside me and a teenager with both hands off the wheel, texting.

And it is an area known for wrecks.  I can see realizing the median, on the turn, down hill, too fast and next thing you know your on the other side trying to turn back.  Thank god he didn't plow head first into another car.  

• Like 1

Likely mentioned already but Phil broke both legs skiing in AZ in the 90’s. I think if memory serves he has a rod in one leg. Obviously every injury is unique but I could see Tiger needing more surgeries down the road ala Alex Smith.  
Tiger has wowed an entire generation of fans and competitors with his skills and determination. If he never hits another shot in competition it was a pleasure to witness all he did on a golf course. 
I hope he recovers well enough to be pain free for everyday life. More golf would be great but gravy at this point.

• Like 1

Tiger?

I guess if he done with the big surgeries now the challenges are infections and blood clots and complications like that.

Very lucky he seems to have sustained no head or internal injuries.

Meantime, I heard the first thing he said to the fireman as he was getting pulled through the windshield was...

A6CB1AF4-EFF8-48A3-8F26-ADF4DFD35924.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, bladehunter said:

Right.  Or on another note. Everyone is praising the Car for saving him.  As an expert on building cars , I’d argue that car is what hurt him.     You can’t get those leg injuries from a car with no more damage than that. And with no more frontal impact than it sustained without a serious defect in design of the engine or proximity of it to the cabin and/or the firewalls integrity.    Same crash in a larger suv or say a Ford F-150 and he likely walks out.  Why ?  The engine and /or firewall doesn’t crush his leg.  

ive repaired , built and wrecked cars for over 25 years.  Survived a head on at 50 in a ford ranger in 2001 and the cabin wasn’t compromised like this.   I didn’t have a seat belt on then either.  ( dumbass I know )  This is a design flaw not a great design on display.  If your going to make a cabin more compact. It better be stronger than this. 

Wow! You are an expert car designer?  Where did you go to school and what degrees do you hold?  And what vehicles did you design?

Car structures are designed using super computers where all kinds of crash simulations can be modeled.  I'm certainly no expert on the subject but I am a mechanical engineer that worked for a major Japanese OEM for 21 years, and I know some chassis and body designers that worked at our R&D facilities.  One thing that's well understood by people in the business is that pretty much all vehicles are a compromise in one shape or form, and todays vehicles are many times safer than they were in decades past.  

• Like 4

Ping G400 Max driver w/Aldila Rogue 125 Silver
Ping G425 5 wood & hybrid
Ping G30 irons w/Recoil 95

Ping G425 irons w/Accra ICWT 2.0 95
Ping Glide wedges w/Recoil 110
Ping Redwood Anser - the "real deal!"

1 hour ago, brew4eagle said:

Since a field sobriety test obviously couldn't be conducted, it would seem odd to not request a blood draw at the hospital (especially considering his history).  I'm not in law enforcement though, so don't know the protocols.

i did hear on the radio, California law does not require any type of test with single car accidents that do not involve death....its up to the police office to order a test, apparently its not mandatory in a case like this.....i dont know though.....just repeating what i heard on the radio from an officer

1 hour ago, Socrates said:

After looking at the photos, videos and the maps of the scene it is amazing it wasn't worse.  He just missed that double-pole hydro pole.  If he had hit that instead of brush, we likely would be eulogizing him right now.  Just want to see him be able to walk "normal" again. 

Looking at what we know

- late going to where he needed to be,

- likely going faster than the posted limit (50-70 mph),

- and just coming off a small stretch of straightish road.

It is most likely a case of distracted driving.  Looking at his phone or texting someone on his eta and didn't realize there was a bend in the road.  By the time he hits the median and processes what it going on, he likely is already into the trees.  That's why you don't see skid marks.

I don't think we need to look any farther than that.  Happens every day all over the world.  Just common stupidity that we see out of drivers every day.  I still remember doing 80 mph on the freeway in Phoenix - 6 lanes wide - and looking over at the car beside me and a teenager with both hands off the wheel, texting.

maybe he fell asleep.....could be 100 things.....coyote ran out from the bush, cars computer went haywire.....its not right to assume anything at this point

People think that Tiger Woods is going to sue the sponsor of the PGA tournament he hosts? Because why? He needs the money?

In addition such a lawsuit would expose himself to discovery and depositions regarding his potential negligence in the crash.

I don't think that's going to happen.

• Like 2

Yeah its a tad unrealistic considering how he has felt from back and other knee issues throught the years. Hes said there was days he barely could get out of bed before. I cant imagine this helps anything in any way. Ive broken a bone under my pinky and while the pain wasnt the worst having the cast on and not being able to move was almost unbearable at times. Now apply this to legs and not being able to walk for alot of months. He was barely sure about the masters with back surgery recently let alone this. Whatever happends... we got to see one of the greatest most dominate sports figures of all time. Thank you Eldrick Woods! If you never came along the game wouldnt have been the same.

2 hours ago, cardoustie said:

I believe he will recover ... and golf ... and win again and the media will be all “second coming of Hogan!!”

Love your optimism! I’m very optimistic by nature too, but I’m taking it one step at a time.

Going to be a long process for him to rehab not only his back, but now also needing to rehab both his legs also.

Would be great to see him compete on Tour again, if that’s what he chooses to do, and I’ll be rooting for him every step of the way.

But it could also be that all the injuries and surgeries have taken enough of a toll that it’s time for him to walk away for his own well-being and focus on the next chapter of his life, which can also be incredible.

Callaway Paradym X (11*) / Hzrdus Black Smoke 6.0

Callaway Paradym X (15*) / Hzrdus Silver 6.0

Callaway Rogue St Max OS (21*) / Tensei AV Blue 75 S

Srixon ZX5 (4-PW) / Nippon Modus3 Tour 105 S

Cleveland RTX 6 Zipcore (52* Mid, 58* Mid) / DG Spinner

Odyssey White Hot OG 7 S

WITB on WRX

Bantam Ben here, offering thoughts for TW and a strong recovery.

Driving way too fast can cause problems.  Add to that screwing with your cell phone and the possibilities are endless.

I think TW owes his life to this car.

Please share my pic below with all of your friends.

This Car.jpg

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

Bantam Ben

Purveyor of fine Hogan woods and irons

3 hours ago, BombinJim said:

What if that new genesis was responsible? Does it have some fancy self driving feature or defect? I wonder if they have ruled the vehicle out?

I have a low-end Kia, and it has a 'lane following assist' feature that will keep the vehicle in the center of the lane, as long as markings are visible.  I rarely use it, but in experimenting with it, it worked well.  However, if you take your hands off the wheel for too long (don't know what that timeframe is), it will start beeping warnings and shut off.

2 hours ago, jonsnow said:

I keep wondering about the impact to his back. I know the doctors have more immediate problems with the trauma to his leg/legs but this can't have been a good thing for a back that has been operated on numerous times & recently.

EDIT: Many thanks to the mods for their patience & work to keep this thread going. Somebody posted that it had a hospital waiting room feel & it does. I know I felt a little lost when it was locked temporarily.

My thoughts as well.  Seems there is no way that sort of accident wouldn't tweak even a healthy back.  And now that he'll likely be doing a lot of lying down and sitting, that won't be beneficial either, as backs generally perform better when you keep them mobile and stretched (from experience).

• Like 1

The biggest thing that no one seems to be talking about is how his mental health is going to be through this process. He has a known history with pain killers and self destructive behavior. I hope for him and his children he can remain positive in the face of this adversity. It really doesn't matter if he ever plays competitively again. 

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Bantam Ben said:

Bantam Ben here, offering thoughts for TW and a strong recovery.

Driving way too fast can cause problems.  Add to that screwing with your cell phone and the possibilities are endless.

I think TW owes his life to this car.

Please share my pic below with all of your friends.

This Car.jpg

He would have been better off if he had been driving his Mercedes.

• Like 1

Callaway Rogue Max LS Driver, 9 degrees, Tensei Blue shaft

Mizuno ST180 5 wood

Ping G425 Max 7 wood
Srixon ZX4 4 iron
Srixon ZX5 irons 5-PW, Nippon N.S. Pro Modus 3 Tour 120 shafts

Cleveland RTX6 48* wedge

Cleveland Zipcore 54* wedge
Cleveland RTX 58* full face wedge
Nike Method Core Drone 2.0 putter 34"

3 hours ago, cardoustie said:

I believe he will recover ... and golf ... and win again and the media will be all “second coming of Hogan!!”

I would agree except for two things.  He is 45 years old, and he just had his 5th back surgery.  Could it happen?  Sure...he's Tiger effing Woods, but it really depends more on his back than his leg long term, I would think.  

• Like 1

Ping G400 Testing G410.  10.5 set at small -
Ping G410 3, 5 and 7 wood

Ping G410 5 hybrid-not much use.  
Mizuno JPX 921 Hot Metal. 5-G
Vokey 54.10, 2009 58.12 M, Testing TM MG2 60* TW grind and MG3 56* TW grind.  Or Ping Glide Stealth, 54,58 SS.  
Odyssey Pro #1 black
Hoofer, Ecco, Bushnell
ProV1x-mostly

I used to train for CAT racing in PV hills to Malibu.  Having to share the roads with cages, I know them too well.  If you can't restrain yourself, it pays to be driving a well-built vehicle, like Genesis's new GV80.

• Like 1
  • TSR2 9.25° Ventus Velo TR Blue 58
  • TSR2 15° AD VF 74
  • T200 17 2i° Tensei AV Raw White Hybrid 90
  • T100 3i to 9i MMT 105
  • T100 PW, SM9 F52/12, M58/8, PX Wedge 6.0 120
  • SC/CA Monterey
  • DASH -ProV1x & AVX

1 hour ago, Draw Driver said:

Thanks for including Insurance and Underwriting. We appreciate the acknowledgement.

You're most welcome.  Love the insurance people.   And we expect some solid feedback as the facts start to emerge.   

Until that time, feel free to indulge yourself in speculation and theory.  As the forum's insurance representative you can say anything you wish as long as you end your posts with, "I do not determine liability."  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, bladehunter said:

Right.  Or on another note. Everyone is praising the Car for saving him.  As an expert on building cars , I’d argue that car is what hurt him.     You can’t get those leg injuries from a car with no more damage than that. And with no more frontal impact than it sustained without a serious defect in design of the engine or proximity of it to the cabin and/or the firewalls integrity.    Same crash in a larger suv or say a Ford F-150 and he likely walks out.  Why ?  The engine and /or firewall doesn’t crush his leg.  

ive repaired , built and wrecked cars for over 25 years.  Survived a head on at 50 in a ford ranger in 2001 and the cabin wasn’t compromised like this.   I didn’t have a seat belt on then either.  ( dumbass I know )  This is a design flaw not a great design on display.  If your going to make a cabin more compact. It better be stronger than this. 

It seems like it would be impossible to draw conclusions like that without knowing the exact details of the crash...

For example, do we know that Tiger's car didn't hit a tree as it was rolling? etc.

I was once the driver of a 2014 Honda Accord EXL that I crashed and it had FAR less damage than this and I completely shattered my left ankle. Similar to Tiger. Tibia, Fibula broken + Talus, etc. Took multiple surgeries to repair and still not the same to this day. 

Look at the front of Tiger's car. It obviously went through extreme impact to the front of the car. I don't understand what you're saying. You think the cabin should have held up better under that stress?

Maybe if he had been driving a larger SUV or an F-150 he'd be in better shape? Okay? Maybe if he'd been driving a sedan he would be dead. What's the point in discussing that unless we are doing a study on car safety. 
spacer.png

Edited by straightshot7
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, brew4eagle said:

Since a field sobriety test obviously couldn't be conducted, it would seem odd to not request a blood draw at the hospital (especially considering his history).  I'm not in law enforcement though, so don't know the protocols.

There needs to be signs of impairment or other articulable facts that would lead L.E. to believe he was DUI in order to justify a search warrant. Just doing a blood draw to see whats in his blood is a fishing expedition and a no go.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1