Tiger Car Accident. ***All Content Subject to Moderation***

One unknown here is how Tiger's back fared in all of this.  Was any damage done in the areas where he's had his surgeries and particularly the latest one which was still healing.  Wishing nothing but the best for him but a specific timeline for recovery may not be known for some time.  Regardless of what was the cause of the accident I'd like to see him end his career on his own terms.

• Like 3

Callaway Epic Speed - MMT60/S
TEE EXS 15* - Tensei CK Blue/S
Callaway Apex Pro 20*/23* - MMT80/S
W/S C300 Forged 5-P  KBS Tour 105/S
W/S Staff Model 52/56/60  DGS300
TM Patina Juno

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Have absolutely no interest in any rank speculation about how it happened and on and on.  A prayer he's okay and makes a full recovery - wouldn't wish this on anyone.    

Some of the replies in here are just gross. What happened to this site...

Truck upside down in the ditch, 1/2-mile from the local bar on a Friday night...   GolfWrx:  "Probably some drunk redneck leaving the bar."       Tiger Woods, fresh off o

Posted Images

1 hour ago, brew4eagle said:

Maybe not officially, but if officers pull up on a known 'town drunk' (not implying that's what Tiger is) then it's definitely a consideration.  Human bias does exist, whether or not it's acknowledged. 

Now going in circles.  If there is nothing to trigger legal requests for testing, then suggesting past behavior makes a difference because they are rolling up on Otis Campbell makes no sense.  You were talking about the scene as it was found when they found Tiger - past acts are irrelevant and consideration of them might lead to more scrutiny which only goes so far - still nothing to trigger legal requests for testing.  So nothing to do with this situation.

• Like 4
15 minutes ago, Nessism said:

You proclaim yourself an "expert at designing cars" yet you think safety can be defined by simple factors like full frame vs. unibody?  LOL man.

In case you didn't know, F1 cars use a monocoque construction technique, basically a unibody.  What's safer?  One of those or an F150?

Not a tiny SUV, and the engine compartment is designed to push the engine down and under the car rather than back into the cab in a head on.  Tiger rolled the car and hit a tree as well.  Tiger may have been speeding, spilled a cup of hot coffee in his lap just before it all went bad.  It was early morning.

It's good to actually have some facts a day later. Some comments from me though:

1) Interesting that all the police and sundry all went on record as saying Tiger was NOT under the influence.  It is unfortunate that this has to be said.

2) If I was the anesthesiologist, I would want to be darn sure my patient had not taken any alcohol, painkillers, sedatives etc. before I put him under. I am sure someone would have done a drug screen before putting him under.

3) I would be FAR more concerned about the ankle than the tib/fib fracture. Options for managing an ankle joint once arthritis sets in are limited.

4) By the looks of all the footage, this could have been FAR worse for Tiger. Glad to see he's coming through okay.

• Like 1

Callaway Epic Flash Subzero Driver, 9 degrees, Diamana S+ shaft
Mizuno ST 180 5 wood, set to 16*
Srixon H85 20* hybrid
Srixon H85 22* hybrid
Srixon ZX5 irons 5-AW, Nippon N.S. Pro Modus 3 Tour 120 shafts

Cleveland Zipcore 54* wedge
Mizuno S18 58* wedge
Cleveland VP Milled No. 3 putter

No drug test done according to todays news so all that is just speculation. I give him a pass on that considering he may never play professional golf again. I had a mulit-break compound fracture decades ago. These injuries are very serious, take a long time to heal, and no mention his back if it was injured. I wish him well. 

• Like 1

Swag Suave One 33"

Byron Morgan 615 33"

Spider X 33"

5 hours ago, bscinstnct said:

Tiger?

I guess if he done with the big surgeries now the challenges are infections and blood clots and complications like that.

Very lucky he seems to have sustained no head or internal injuries.

Meantime, I heard the first thing he said to the fireman as he was getting pulled through the windshield was...

A6CB1AF4-EFF8-48A3-8F26-ADF4DFD35924.jpeg

385bd900-dde6-4080-938f-fc409376126e_screenshot.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

The other thing to keep in mind is what one of the doctors in one of those Youtube videos upstream mentioned. The surgery yesterday dealt with only the most serious and obvious injuries. But given the impact, all parts of his body took a hit. He has has a number of previous knee procedures and the energy that did such damage to his lower leg transferred up to the knees and possibly even his hips. Knee damage could be possible, maybe even likely. His upper body was restrained by the shoulder belt but there could be shoulder/arm damage and his neck likely was whipped around as well. Then of course there is his fragile back. They mentioned on PTI tonight that Alex Smith had 17 surgeries after his injury. I suspect there are more in Tiger's future as well.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Nessism said:

You proclaim yourself an "expert at designing cars" yet you think safety can be defined by simple factors like full frame vs. unibody?  LOL man.

In case you didn't know, F1 cars use a monocoque construction technique, basically a unibody.  What's safer?  One of those or an F150?

Assumptions.  You realize what they do to you and I ? 

I didn’t say I designed new cars.  Nor did I mention F1.  To try to draw a parallel to their driver capsule and a unibody suv is the laughable part.  Apples and cumquats sir.  

im not sure why you constantly try to start a measuring contest.  I have neither the time nor desire to have one in this thread. But if you pm me I’ll oblige. 

care to enlist your super computer and address the point I tried to make ? That a proper design doesn’t include the engine pushing its way into the cabin in an impact that didn’t even render the drivers door inoperable. ( see pic of it clearly hinged open )  ?     

it was a very simple point , that we shouldn’t praise this car for saving him , when it actually didn’t do it’s job.  Unless you think that it did. Which im fine debating.  But it’s going to be hard to make me believe that this much force is designed to enter the toe box of any coach assembly.  Unibody or not.    I mean the A pillar and B pillar appear to be mostly in place if not completely, considering a rollover.  The sunroof isn’t busted etc.  to me this doesn’t add up when the drivers front wheel appears to only be pushed back 3-4 inches.  Thoughts ? 

• Like 3

Titleist tsi2 10* Mitsubishi TB 70x 

Titleist ts2 16.5 * Tensei CK pro Blue 80TX

Cobra F9  7 wood 22.5 blue board 80TX 

Titleist T100 4-pw   modus 130x 

Vokey sm7 50*54*58*v grind s400

Cameron GSS 009  1.5 , sound slot , tungsten sole weights , head speed shaft. 

6 minutes ago, bladehunter said:

Assumptions.  You realize what they do to you and I ? 

I didn’t say I designed new cars.  Nor did I mention F1.  To try to draw a parallel to their driver capsule and a unibody suv is the laughable part.  Apples and cumquats sir.  

im not sure why you constantly try to start a measuring contest.  I have neither the time nor desire to have one in this thread. But if you pm me I’ll oblige. 

care to enlist your super computer and address the point I tried to make ? That a proper design doesn’t include the engine pushing its way into the cabin in an impact that didn’t even render the drivers door inoperable. ( see pic of it clearly hinged open )  ?     

it was a very simple point , that we shouldn’t praise this car for saving him , when it actually didn’t do it’s job.  Unless you think that it did. Which im fine debating.  But it’s going to be hard to make me believe that this much force is designed to enter the toe box of any coach assembly.  Unibody or not.    I mean the A pillar and B pillar appear to be mostly in place if not completely, considering a rollover.  The sunroof isn’t busted etc.  to me this doesn’t add up when the drivers front wheel appears to only be pushed back 3-4 inches.  Thoughts ? 

@Nessism Please take this to PM if you want to continue discussing. Thanks! 

Edited by 1t2golf
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Sic omnia fatis In peius ruere ac retro sublapsa referri...semper ubi sub ubi

10 hours ago, cardoustie said:

I believe he will recover ... and golf ... and win again and the media will be all “second coming of Hogan!!”

It’s not hard to agree.  Despite not being a fan of his, I fully recognize his position as the most mentally tough athlete and greatest closer in golf, if not all sports. 

Some discussion of the Hogan comparison, frequently cited here and on mainstream news yesterday and today.  BH had a “double” pelvic fracture, arguably his most important initial insult. It’s speculation since the medical record is fairly limited, but these could be anywhere in the pelvis, including some very problematic areas such as within the acetabulum (part of the hip joint).  Typically since the pelvis is a ring, when it breaks it happens in two spots, with of course exceptions.  But based on other reports of bladder injury, and absent any references of the necessity of surgical stabilization, they may have been simply pubic rami fractures. Painful and often assoc with bladder injury and significant, even fatal internal bleeding, but injuries that generally heal over several months, often with little long term deficit.  Then he had a clavicle fracture, maybe some rib fractures, +/- wrist or hand, closed head injury with prob concussion, and facial soft tissue injuries.  

His problems really began, or at least escalated, when he developed leg DVT, deep vein thrombosis, and subsequently clots to his lungs (pulmonary embolism). The treatment done for him was ligation of his inferior vena cava (main vein back to the heart), something not done today.  Following this he experience leg pain and swelling affecting him for the rest of his career, and well documented in the story of his Open win. 

My point?  Tiger’s initial injuries on the face of it, with admitted limited specific information, seem worse, with potential to develop some complications. With luck, and good medical care, he hopefully should recover.  Playing competitive golf seems a little farther off, but given the heart of the man it is not inconceivable. 

Edited by Duct Tape
  • Like 1
58 minutes ago, Holy Moses said:

Yes, a lot of people in here comment about breaking the leg and how Duval, Mickelson etc have done it in the plast. This is something totally different. His tibia will be just fine. A steel rod fix that.

It’s really all about the ankle and what parts that have been crushed. And also how much damage was made to tissues because of these splinters. In worst case scenario he can lose his foot, and it could be a month before they need to take that decission. Priority no 1 right now is that the tissue doesn’t die. Anyway, I posted a very good video about all this earlier today. 

2 hours ago, manku said:

I totaled an Audi Q5 a few years back.  No bodily injury. 

At the body shop, I asked the owner if there  were any cars he wouldn’t buy because of safety/construction quality.  

Kia/Hyundai.  

BTW, I’ve now totaled two Audis.  Not a scratch on any of us.  Germans know how to make tanks!

I wouldn’t say that they are inherently unsafe vehicles. They have to meet certain safety standards set by the NTSB.   Kia and Hyundai are inexpensive crappy vehicles.  The Body shop manager probably was describing the fact that they fall apart easily and don’t get repaired because they total out very easily since they instantaneously depreciate significantly.  My experience owning a wrecker service has me observing motorists usually walking away unscathed from wrecks in modern vehicles of any make in crashes at 45-55 mph.  Above those speeds is where the more serious injuries, lifeflights, and deaths occur. Regardless of make of vehicle.  SPEED is the biggest contributing factor in the severity of outcomes of these crashes.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Driver: Titleist 913 D3 8.5° A-4 setting Graphite Design YS-6+stiff

Wood:  Titleist 980F 17° Aldila NV stiff

Hybrid: Titleist 909H 21° Aldila Voodoo stiff 

Irons:  Titleist 716 AP2 4- W  DG AMT S300

Wedges: Titleist Vokey SM7  54°,  58° DG S200

Putter:  Odyssey White Hot #1 Tour

Ball: Titleist Pro V1x

18 minutes ago, Duct Tape said:

Not a good look to hear of some physician talking out of shop with a country club friend.  Very disappointing. Patient privacy is sacrosanct and has been so for most of us long before the federal government jumped in and started telling us what to do with HIPAA etc.  

Two things will always be evident. 

People love to chit chat 
People love to start rumors

Well...three things

People can’t keep their mouths shut a lot of times either

I guess if you were going to have to pick an ankle to have damage to and still want to play golf...it would be the trail ankle over the lead?

Also not quite sure I buy this whole ‘pinned’/‘crushed’ stuff either necessarily. Doesn’t quite sound like they had to break his legs free of anything. He was stuck, and they pulled him out, so I get it...but at the same time, there’s been a number of race car drivers sustaining some pretty bad ankle/leg injuries just from the force of impact. Bottom of the console and the side of the footwell could have done it just as easily. Same reason race car drivers now have all the extra plating in those areas to eat up the dead space so appendages don’t go slamming into things. This part not related to your post anyway, just adding my thoughts on it here instead of making a second post. 

TM M3 440 w/ Speeder Evo II 6.1 TS
TM M5 14* Rocket w/ BB S+ 70  
Taylormade P790 2 UDI w/ DG 105R or M3 19* 5W w/ BB S+ 70

Titleist TS2 19* Hybrid w/ PX Evenflow Blue 85 6.0

4-PW Nike VR Pro MBs w/ DG AMT White R300
Kyoei 52/58 Personal Grinds w/ DG S400s
Odyssey MXM 1W

Tell Tiger that he has virtually no chance of doing something and he is the type that will do his best to prove you wrong 'if' there is half a chance.  I'm guessing this will be the most difficult set of injuries for him to come back from in terms of playing tour level competitive golf again. 

It would not surprise me to see Tiger 'largely' recover from his injuries over the next few years with the focus of maybe trying to compete on the Champions Tour in 4 years or so. Then again, Tiger may just say the heck with trying to play competitive golf at his age and with all his injuries and surgeries, and instead just try to regain the ability to live a normal life without the struggle of trying to compete against people half his age, or compete against people without the types of injuries he has had.

My guess is Tiger will decide pretty quickly - early-on - what the future will be in terms of him playing competitive golf again.     

There are two things you can learn by stopping your backswing at the top and checking the position of your hands: how many hands you have, and which one is wearing the glove.

1 hour ago, Greg_B said:

The other thing to keep in mind is what one of the doctors in one of those Youtube videos upstream mentioned. The surgery yesterday dealt with only the most serious and obvious injuries. But given the impact, all parts of his body took a hit. He has has a number of previous knee procedures and the energy that did such damage to his lower leg transferred up to the knees and possibly even his hips. Knee damage could be possible, maybe even likely. His upper body was restrained by the shoulder belt but there could be shoulder/arm damage and his neck likely was whipped around as well. Then of course there is his fragile back. They mentioned on PTI tonight that Alex Smith had 17 surgeries after his injury. I suspect there are more in Tiger's future as well.

Quite a few of Alex Smith's surgeries were due to infections.  If you see his leg, big chunks of his calf, hamstring and quad are missing.  That was all due to infections.  ESPN did a piece of him a few months back and it is eye opening.