Tiger Car Accident. ***All Content Subject to Moderation***

HateTheHighDraw

5 hours ago, LeoKal said:

Law enforcement has accident reconstruction experts and I have utilized many and have some such training myself.  You saw the vehicle?!!!  Plenty of proof there!

Of what? That it is damaged? That it went off the road? That it may have been going "x" when it hit some object plummeting down the hill? Technical investigations aren't typically warranted or called for in this sort of situation nor would one explain what caused the driver to cause the vehicle to leave the road and by itself not prove all the elements of a criminal charge.  No witnesses, Tiger doesn't recall what happened so nothing from his mouth will be evidence. They aren't spending $$$ for a TI on a misdemeanor traffic citation.  Whether a final decision has been made on issuing one for any reason I don't believe anyone has said, could still happen.

• Like 2

I got hit when I was 16 and only had my license for two weeks at that point. Was stopped at a stop light and got hit from behind at 50 mph no braking because he was “looking at scenery”. No air bags in an 1987 cavalier, trunk of car went up to the front seats and I smashed into the car in front of me turning into a 4 car collision. I ended up with only a small nick on my knee from hitting dash that needed a bandaid, to be 16 and bulletproof again. Oh and I was a little scared driving for a week after that considering I just got my license and was pretty traumatic.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

25 minutes ago, bscinstnct said:

Reminds me of time we were drivin to an Uncle Rico football game and the dopey kid driving hydroplaned going down a hill. We hit a big tree that stopped us before we went over the side of a hill!

Kids like, “my parents are gonna kill me!”

So we go look at the front and the bumper was barely dented!

Thats those old Volvos for ya. Literally built like a tank ; ) 

Back in high school, being young and stupid, I wrapped an ’81 Honda Accord around a tree at like 45 or 50 mph. Simple twist of fate it was the passenger’s side, and simple twist of fate I didn’t have a passenger with me. Walked away, but could’ve very easily killed myself or someone else.

Month later one of my best friends, being young and stupid, pulls across a four lane highway and gets t-boned by a fully loaded down F250 work truck doing 60 or 65. Moved the car like a quarter mile down the road, he had his little brother in the passenger seat which was the side that was hit. They both walked away with nothing but a few bruises. Late 70s Volvo 240 saved his brother’s life, no doubt, and possibly his too. Saw both cars in the wrecking yard after the crashes when we went to collect our stuff. The difference between how those two cars took a hit was hard to believe and I’ve literally been driving Volvos since. No big accidents since then, knock on wood, but I’ve had a couple of other cars bounce off the bumpers over the years and it’s always hilarious how those Volvos shrug it off.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, StiffShaft said:

Could lane assist have caused the accident? He went right through the break in the median.  He might have had it engaged without even knowing

Lane assist most likely would not have contributed to the accident, hence the name "lane assist." It would have kept him in the lane. Mine is all the time and love it. Still need to pay attention however. Lane assist and adaptive cruise control have proven to me that autonomous cars cannot get here fast enough.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, bscinstnct said:

Reminds me of time we were drivin to an Uncle Rico football game and the dopey kid driving hydroplaned going down a hill. We hit a big tree that stopped us before we went over the side of a hill!

Kids like, “my parents are gonna kill me!”

So we go look at the front and the bumper was barely dented!

Thats those old Volvos for ya. Literally built like a tank ; ) 

image.gif.481235ac53ccc909d04a45b7bc6a7d64.gif

• Like 1

13 hours ago, StiffShaft said:

Could lane assist have caused the accident? He went right through the break in the median.  He might have had it engaged without even knowing

My low-end Kia has both "Lane Keep Assist" and "Lane Following Assist".  With LKA, the vehicle will 'nudge' you over and sound an alarm if you are drifting.  You can turn it off completely or turn off the nudge feature and just allow the alarm to sound, which is what I do.  Assuming he had it on, it should have at least beeped annoyingly.  LFA, on the other hand, will try to keep you in the center of the lane as you are driving.  If you take your hands off the wheel for too long, an alarm will sound.  It won't do anything if it cannot detect lane markings, and if you are going too fast, it will not be able to keep you centered.  So the only way that could have been at fault, I would think, is if he was depending on it to keep him on the road, but going too fast with his hands off the wheel.  But that wouldn't really be the fault of the system anyway.

20 hours ago, bigred90gt said:

You cannot write a citation for speeding without having verification of the speed being traveled. While they can extrapolate some information from the scene to get an estimate, it would never hold up with even the worst legal representation, and I'm certain Tiger's legal representation is quite far from "the worst".

In the grand scheme of things, it really is inconsequential if he receives citations for speeding or reckless driving.  Costs of driving infraction fines are hardly the biggest concern for Tiger Woods the last 25 years.

Regardless, this car was obviously out of control and traveling way too fast for the conditions.  Otherwise it would not have been damaged as severely as it was, nor would it have been found all the way on the other side of the road and on its side.

The thirty-five ton rotator recovery unit was definitely excessive for the tow and recovery but that's being discussed in another forum.

• Like 1

Driver: Titleist 913 D3 8.5° A-1 setting Graphite Design YS-6+ 65g stiff

Wood:  Titleist 980F 17° Aldila NV stiff

Hybrid: Titleist 909H 21° Aldila Voodoo stiff 

Irons:  Titleist 716 AP2 4- W  DG AMT S300

Wedges: Titleist Vokey SM7  54°,  58° DG S200

Putter:  Odyssey White Hot #1 Tour

Ball: Titleist Pro V1

1 hour ago, Old Tom Morris said:

In the grand scheme of things, it really is inconsequential if he receives citations for speeding or reckless driving.  Costs of driving infraction fines are hardly the biggest concern for Tiger Woods the last 25 years.

Regardless, this car was obviously out of control and traveling way too fast for the conditions.  Otherwise it would not have been damaged as severely as it was, nor would it have been found all the way on the other side of the road and on its side.

The thirty-five ton rotator recovery unit was definitely excessive for the tow and recovery but that's being discussed in another forum.

I would guess speed limit on that road to be 45mph or so, even if he was slightly speeding (50-55) due to the down hill section, how far the car ended up really isn't shocking given he immediately hit the median and lost traction. 5000lbs of mass at even 45mph has a whole lot of momentum, which is very hard to stop when the tires are not in contact with the ground. 

But the people arguing that he should have been given a citation, sheesh

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Old Tom Morris said:

I laughed at that too.  By moreover.  What about the guys at the storage lot playing with it with the stinger on the hyster for what seemed like an hour , rather than just backing the rollback up to the bay door and sliding it in ?  It was like  watching army ants eat a dead monkey on time lapse video.  

Edited by bladehunter
  • Like 1

Callaway epic max LS 9* GD-M9003 7x 

TM Sim2 max tour  16* GD  ADHD 8x 

srixon zx 19* elements 9F5T 

Cobra king SZ 25.5* KBS TD cat 5 70 

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

Mizuno T22 raw 52-56-60 s400

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

16 hours ago, Hawkeye77 said:

Of what? That it is damaged? That it went off the road? That it may have been going "x" when it hit some object plummeting down the hill? Technical investigations aren't typically warranted or called for in this sort of situation nor would one explain what caused the driver to cause the vehicle to leave the road and by itself not prove all the elements of a criminal charge.  No witnesses, Tiger doesn't recall what happened so nothing from his mouth will be evidence. They aren't spending $$$ for a TI on a misdemeanor traffic citation.  Whether a final decision has been made on issuing one for any reason I don't believe anyone has said, could still happen.

They definitely did such an investigation though, based on the 1st press conference.  They said that's why it took so long to get the suv on the tow truck and clear the scene, indicated that the traffic/reconstruction (or some terminology like that) experts were taking their measurements, etc. and that always takes a long time.

PING i20 10.5*

Adams a7 19*, 22*

Maltby TS3 Forged 5-9

Vokey SM7 46F, 52F, 58M

PING BeCu Anser

Srixon QST

2 hours ago, Old Tom Morris said:

Another nod to our friends in the insurance industry: 

26% of all traffic related accidents involve excessive speed

17% of all traffic related deaths involve excessive speed

Therefore, excessive speed is a contributing factor with many traffic accidents, not just this accident, correct?

Glad he's alive, especially for his kids' sake. From the fact that he had a comminuted fracture and swelling that required additional surgical intervention to relieve--the physician interviewed about it said the report indicated it was so severe amputation would have been likely had it not happened within an hour or two of the accident--his recovery is going to be long and painful. I think this is going to be something that's going to be a harsh lesson at an already hard point in his career, and that's before any possible complications to the situation with his back or a knee that had already been surgically repaired before.

Sucks that wanting to get to wherever a few minutes faster is going to result in months or more of setbacks or worse. Very hard lesson indeed. I hope his recovery is as complete and swift as possible.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Loki said:

Lane assist most likely would not have contributed to the accident, hence the name "lane assist." It would have kept him in the lane. Mine is all the time and love it. Still need to pay attention however. Lane assist and adaptive cruise control have proven to me that autonomous cars cannot get here fast enough.

My wife has a 2020 Rav4 with lane assist.  If you turn on the cruise control and get out on a highway, the car will drive itself.  I'll let it but after a couple minutes it barks at me to put my hands back on the wheel.  Somehow it knows.  But there's no way it would override input from the steering wheel.  

17 minutes ago, TIScape said:

Looking around online at the reason someone wouldn’t remember a car accident. Main cause is TBI (traumatic brain injury) caused by severe head trauma. Was it reported that Tiger received severe head trauma? 

The same mechanisms that keep your brain sharp enough to escape immediate danger may also make it harder for both to recall the accident, and to put the trauma behind you.  The "normal thing" is that the person doesn’t remember the moment of the accident or right after.  That’s because the mind and the body enter a more alert but also more stressed state, with trade-offs that can save your life, but harm your mind’s memory-making abilities.  

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, TIScape said:

Looking around online at the reason someone wouldn’t remember a car accident. Main cause is TBI (traumatic brain injury) caused by severe head trauma. Was it reported that Tiger received severe head trauma? 

There are several reasons your brain will suppress memories especially after trauma.  Here is one that is currently being investigated.

https://www.nm.org/healthbeat/medical-advances/how-the-brain-hides-traumatic-memories

TM M6 9 Graphite Design HD 6x
TM M6 15 Graphite Design TP 7x
TM M6 18 Graphite Design VR 8x
Mizuno JPX 921 SEL 4-G Nippon SPO

Mizuno T22 56D, 61X Nippon SPO
Byron Morgan DH89 SSS 350g KBS CT Tour black

37 minutes ago, TIScape said:

There's blood on the airbag, so clearly there was appreciable impact to his head. The nose bleeds easily, but that aside I don't know anyone who's not at least a bit dazed after an accident and at the speed he was going and with the severity of the wreck some type of head trauma is believable. Wasn't specifically mentioned in the news stories I saw, but likely. If you search you can probably find more on the medical release from the doctors.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, TIScape said:

I haven't seen any speculation about TBI, but he undoubtedly had a concussion.  That will mess with your brain function.

20 minutes ago, golfandfishing said:

The airbag deploying will often knock a person out. In addition to being dazed and likely not actually remembering much from the accident, it is in his best interest to say he has no memory of the accident even if he somehow recalls every detail. 

Exactly what I was thinking originally if it wasn’t head trauma. Best not to risk implicating ones self in any way if not necessary.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, golfandfishing said:

The airbag deploying will often knock a person out. In addition to being dazed and likely not actually remembering much from the accident, it is in his best interest to say he has no memory of the accident even if he somehow recalls every detail. 

It's like getting punched in the face with a giant roll of toilet paper.  It's better than hitting the steering wheel, I guess.  We all knew he was going to remember nothing, or very little of anything.  

My buddy refers to his wife as "airbag."   When he takes a call from her, he's like, "hang on, the air bag is deploying."  Upon answering, he starts jerking his head back like he's getting hit in the face.  Always funny.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2