2024 Houston Open WITB Photos ×

PXG Putter Feedback

jonskelly91

Long time lurker here and this is my first ever post. I am thinking about buying one of the PXG putters while they have them on sale right now, and was wondering what the community thought about them. On sale they priced in line with other high end putters. I am kind of a putter whore and want to try one out.

Thanks for any feedback you can give!

Driver: Cobra Rad Speed XB - 9.0 Degree - Oban Revenge 65 S

Driver: TaylorMade 300 Mini Driver - 13.5 degree - Project X RDX Smoke Blue 65 S

5 wood: Ping G410 - Graphite Design 65 S

4 and 5 Hybrid: Titleist TS2 - Mitsubishi Tensei Orange 75 S

6-PW: Sub 70 639 CB Raw: KBS Tour 90 S

50 and 54 wedges: Sub 70 286 Raw: KBS Tour 90 S

60 Wege: TaylorMade High Toe - KBS High Rev 2.0 115 Wedge

Putter: Scotty Cameron Studio Style Newport 2

53 minutes ago, InsuranceGuy89 said:

Gen 1 is no good.  Gen 2 are awesome.  Feel is great.  If I was in the market for a putter, Id for sure give them a look.  

Thanks a lot!

Driver: TaylorMade 300 Mini Driver - 13.5 degree - Project X RDX Smoke Blue 65 S

Just now, getitdaily said:

Kind of have to be specific here...what models are you looking at? What hosel(s)?

I am looking at the Blackjack, The Lucky D, the Mini Gunboat, and maybe the bat attack or the one and done. Basically the mallets and mid mallets. I am torn on what hosel to buy. I have little arc in my stroke, (did the Sam Putt Lab last year) but don't want the total arc that the slant neck has, and have never been a huge plumbers neck guy. But I guess overall I am between the double bend and the plumber's neck. 

2 minutes ago, jonskelly91 said:

I am looking at the Blackjack, The Lucky D, the Mini Gunboat, and maybe the bat attack or the one and done. Basically the mallets and mid mallets. I am torn on what hosel to buy. I have little arc in my stroke, (did the Sam Putt Lab last year) but don't want the total arc that the slant neck has, and have never been a huge plumbers neck guy. But I guess overall I am between the double bend and the plumber's neck. 

The new bat attack isn't out yet. Their fitters dont even have a fitting head. 

The blackjack and one&done are very stable. With the plumber's neck on them both there is very little toe hang. I haven't putted with the lucky d. The mini gunboat isn't as stable as the one&done or blackjack. 

The face is milled with a variable depth diamond pattern. The feel.off the face is a solid thud like feel. Firmer than spider tours and just about any insert face but nowhere near as firm as a milled anser/scotty.

The interchangeable weights really do help. They are quite good putters but they have to fit your stroke. If you don't get along with rear CoG putters then the blackjack and one&done may cause you issues. 

1 hour ago, InsuranceGuy89 said:

Gen 1 is no good.  Gen 2 are awesome.  Feel is great.  If I was in the market for a putter, Id for sure give them a look.  

I'm going to disagree with this.  I got fit for a Gen1 Operator H seems like couple years ago and it's still in the bag and is an awesome putter.  Feel is wonderful and I've had great success with it.  If I've kept a putter in the bag that long, it must be good.

Ping G400 max
Ping G410 5 wood
Ping G410 7 & 9 woods 

PXG Gen 5 0311 P w/accra  5-gap 
54* & 58* PXG Forged
PXG Operator H w/ BGT stability tour shaft or  SIK FLO C with LAGP shaft

5 minutes ago, larryd3 said:

I'm going to disagree with this.  I got fit for a Gen1 Operator H seems like couple years ago and it's still in the bag and is an awesome putter.  Feel is wonderful and I've had great success with it.  If I've kept a putter in the bag that long, it must be good.

I guess I should preface it that I hate pretty much all insert putters and that is why I didnt think it felt great.  A milled putter is significantly superior to me

I just had a Gen 2 Blackjack for a short time, I have to say, it was really nice overall.  Feel off the milled face was really smooth but they tend to be on the heavy side unless you want to also buy the weight kit, which I did not care to do.  I struggled getting used to the weight and decided to just move on as I putt well with my current blade.  I would recommend the PXG putters for sure, especially at their prices, they are well built and look great.  I kind of wish I bought the operator, and may give one a try one of these days but for now I am just paying attention to reviews on WRX.

Ping G430 10k 9*  Ventus Velocore blue 6x

Ping G430 LST 15* HZRDUS smoke yellow 70s

Ping G430 19* Tour Chrome 2.0 85s

PXG 0211  4i KBS C Taper Lite 115x ss1x

Srixon zx7 mkii 5-7, Z forged ii 8-P KBS C Taper Lite 

Ping s159 50/12s, 54/10h, 58/8b  KBS Tour
Scotty Cameron NP2 Studio Stainless  34"

51 minutes ago, Nixhex524 said:

I just had a Gen 2 Blackjack for a short time, I have to say, it was really nice overall.  Feel off the milled face was really smooth but they tend to be on the heavy side unless you want to also buy the weight kit, which I did not care to do.  I struggled getting used to the weight and decided to just move on as I putt well with my current blade.  I would recommend the PXG putters for sure, especially at their prices, they are well built and look great.  I kind of wish I bought the operator, and may give one a try one of these days but for now I am just paying attention to reviews on WRX.

I just ordered an operator...moving on from the blackjack myself. Blackjack is a very, very good putter, for the person who likes a rear CoG. I wish I could have the blackjack with about 50% of it's weight distributed toward the face rather than back AND not be 380g+.

Will see what the operator has to offer. I realized that I made a statement not long ago "just give me a spider tour with a milled face"...well, that's the dang operator. 

So I ordered it.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, getitdaily said:

The new bat attack isn't out yet. Their fitters dont even have a fitting head. 

The blackjack and one&done are very stable. With the plumber's neck on them both there is very little toe hang. I haven't putted with the lucky d. The mini gunboat isn't as stable as the one&done or blackjack. 

The face is milled with a variable depth diamond pattern. The feel.off the face is a solid thud like feel. Firmer than spider tours and just about any insert face but nowhere near as firm as a milled anser/scotty.

The interchangeable weights really do help. They are quite good putters but they have to fit your stroke. If you don't get along with rear CoG putters then the blackjack and one&done may cause you issues. 

yeah I hate buying one without trying them out in person. They just look awesome and have me super intrigued. 

OP. Lots of putters for me as well. Have a gen1 mini gunboat and put ok with it but find it soft of the face compared to my Scotty’s. Ordered a Blackjack with DB as I like my Notchback and have very little arc. I like the looks and figure with the sale, it won’t be hard to resell if I somehow don’t like it.  

Like most on here, hard to to buy one without trying and testing but also pretty easy!

TSi3 Ventus Black 6TX

TSi2  Ventus Black 7X

3 T100s Tour AD DI 95X

4-GW T100s PX LZ 6.0

MG3 52, 56, 60 

PXG 0311 53, 58

PXG Blackjack/Scotty phantom 11

I have the Mini Gunboat in the double bend shaft.  Most consistent putter I have had.  Very good on lag putts and very easy to line up.  

• Taylormade Qi10 LS at 10.5° - Ventus TR Blue
  • Callaway Epic Speed (3) 15° - Mitsubishi TB
  • Callaway Ai Smoke Triple D (7) 20° -  Mitsubishi Tensei Blue
  • Callaway ‘21 Apex Pro 23° - Mitsubishi Tensei HY Blue
  • Srixon ZX5 MKII Black Chrome 5-W
  • Ping S159 Midnight- 56°, 60°
  • Taylormade Spider Tour Z

3 minutes ago, jmurdock81 said:

I have the Mini Gunboat in the double bend shaft.  Most consistent putter I have had.  Very good on lag putts and very easy to line up.  

I have a little bit of arc in my stroke do you see an issue with that or should I go plumbers neck? I do think it looks good in the double bend

3 minutes ago, jonskelly91 said:

I have a little bit of arc in my stroke do you see an issue with that or should I go plumbers neck? I do think it looks good in the double bend

I did the SAM putter lab at Club champion and I also have a slight arc.  A little more straight back and through, but a slight arc.  It recommended a face balanced putter for me, which the double bend gives you.  I was putting with my mini gunboat at my fitting.  I told the fitter that the PXG was staying in the bag before we started, but wanted to know what my stroke was doing and where I could improve.  Results came back with exactly what I had.  Mallet putter, face balanced. 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, bombs said:

Good looking putters.

Very expensive.

VERY heavy stock head weights.

They’re actually quite reasonable right now, in line with everything else at least as far as price goes. 

I have a O&D Double Bend. I have a slight arc in my stroke and putt just fine with it. Definitely worth the price of admission at the sale price. I don’t think they’re worth the normal price. Feel is as good as anything else that’s milled without getting into the copper stuff. Not overly soft but not clicky at all. Just nice and solid. 

Stealth Plus+ 10.5* || Ventus Blue TR 7x

SIM2 Rescue 17* || Ventus Blue HB 8x

X-Forged UT 18* || MMT UT 105tx

TSi2 21* || Ventus Black HB 10tx

T100/620MB 5-9 || DG X7

SM9 47 || DG X7

SM9 51, 55, 59 || DG X1

BB8 Tri Wiz Cu Insert || BGT Stability Tour

Bettinardi BKS #1

5 minutes ago, jmurdock81 said:

I did the SAM putter lab at Club champion and I also have a slight arc.  A little more straight back and through, but a slight arc.  It recommended a face balanced putter for me, which the double bend gives you.  I was putting with my mini gunboat at my fitting.  I told the fitter that the PXG was staying in the bag before we started, but wanted to know what my stroke was doing and where I could improve.  Results came back with exactly what I had.  Mallet putter, face balanced. 

very cool. I have a club champion about an hour away I may have to see if they have the pxg putter line there.

Just now, jonskelly91 said:

very cool. I have a club champion about an hour away I may have to see if they have the pxg putter line there.

They did have a few models at my CC.  Like I said though, I was using my own PXG.  I think they had 3-4 mallet/mid mallet and 2 blade style PXGs.  Good luck!

40 minutes ago, bombs said:

Good looking putters.

Very expensive.

VERY heavy stock head weights.

They are less expensive that Toulon, Scotty Cameron, Taylormade Spider, Bettinardi, and most Odyssey putters. 
As far as head weight, they are a little heavier than some, but they don’t feel heavy if that makes sense.  Also, I think the weight keeps it stable through the stroke. IMO.

• Like 2

PXG putters were not worth their original price, but at the sale price, it becomes a contender.

With Odyssey 10 series putters costing more, I cant argue that PXG feels or performs any worse than any Odyssey putters.

Having said this, I would not buy one again. I had the Mini Gunboat for awhile and also played around with One and Done, but for MY PREFERENCE, they felt dead to me. Like previous members response, its meaty and has a "thud" but thats not what everyone is looking for from a feel of a putter.

There was something artificial about the way it felt, that made distance control very difficult for me. After using for couple of weeks, I still found myself uncomfortable from anything over 15ft or so.

Alignment is top notch tho. Loved the contrast of black and white and overall it looked great.

I would highly recommend trying one before purchasing, but I dunno even where you can test one.

I love my mini Gunboat with a plumbers neck.  I even bought the blackjack as I love playing around with equipment but quickly went back to mini gunboat.  Great feel, easy on lag putts/distance control (which is most important to me).  I highly recommend and if you get fit, you will love the result.

12 hours ago, Gohigh said:

PXG putters were not worth their original price, but at the sale price, it becomes a contender.

With Odyssey 10 series putters costing more, I cant argue that PXG feels or performs any worse than any Odyssey putters.

Having said this, I would not buy one again. I had the Mini Gunboat for awhile and also played around with One and Done, but for MY PREFERENCE, they felt dead to me. Like previous members response, its meaty and has a "thud" but thats not what everyone is looking for from a feel of a putter.

There was something artificial about the way it felt, that made distance control very difficult for me. After using for couple of weeks, I still found myself uncomfortable from anything over 15ft or so.

Alignment is top notch tho. Loved the contrast of black and white and overall it looked great.

I would highly recommend trying one before purchasing, but I dunno even where you can test one.

This is one of my concerns with mine. I haven't gotten it outside yet due to the winter we're having. I'm used to something with a bit of a crisper feel than this. I've been using it indoors on my putting mats for the last month or so though and inside 10 feet I haven't used anything better. 

Stealth Plus+ 10.5* || Ventus Blue TR 7x

SIM2 Rescue 17* || Ventus Blue HB 8x

X-Forged UT 18* || MMT UT 105tx

TSi2 21* || Ventus Black HB 10tx

T100/620MB 5-9 || DG X7

SM9 47 || DG X7

SM9 51, 55, 59 || DG X1

BB8 Tri Wiz Cu Insert || BGT Stability Tour

Bettinardi BKS #1

It appears that PXG will also add to its Battle Ready Line up

On the Golf Digest Hot List, the blade tested was a Battle Ready Closer

https://www.golfdigest.com/hot-list/golf-clubs/blade-putters/pxg-battle-ready

If they keep the pricing they have now an add a Battle Ready Spitfire, they will get my money

They may get it when the Battle Ready Closer comes out.

• Like 2

Driver -Cobra RadSpeed 9*

5 Wood - PING G425 16*

Hybrid  PING G410 22*

Irons - PING G400 5-UW

Wedges - Cleveland Zipcore CBX 54* ; Cleveland CBX Zipcore Full Face 58*

Putter - PXG Battle Ready Closer-34"

Ball- Wilson Triad 

55 minutes ago, scott406 said:

It appears that PXG will also add to its Battle Ready Line up

On the Golf Digest Hot List, the blade tested was a Battle Ready Closer

https://www.golfdigest.com/hot-list/golf-clubs/blade-putters/pxg-battle-ready

If they keep the pricing they have now an add a Battle Ready Spitfire, they will get my money

They may get it when the Battle Ready Closer comes out.

They become a big player if they keep their pricing competitive. At their old prices I would never have looked at them. But they make really good putters many will never see if they go back to their old.pricing model. 

Said this in another thread, if they keep prices down to no longer be a luxury brand then they will have to refigure distribution. 

• Like 1

Thanks everyone for the feedback. Much appreciated for taking the time and giving me your thoughts. May have to try one out.