Jump to content

PXG Putter Feedback


Recommended Posts

Long time lurker here and this is my first ever post. I am thinking about buying one of the PXG putters while they have them on sale right now, and was wondering what the community thought about them. On sale they priced in line with other high end putters. I am kind of a putter whore and want to try one out.

 

Thanks for any feedback you can give!

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I just ordered an operator...moving on from the blackjack myself. Blackjack is a very, very good putter, for the person who likes a rear CoG. I wish I could have the blackjack with about 50% of it's w

They are less expensive that Toulon, Scotty Cameron, Taylormade Spider, Bettinardi, and most Odyssey putters.  As far as head weight, they are a little heavier than some, but they don’t feel heavy i

I did the SAM putter lab at Club champion and I also have a slight arc.  A little more straight back and through, but a slight arc.  It recommended a face balanced putter for me, which the double bend

Just now, getitdaily said:

Kind of have to be specific here...what models are you looking at? What hosel(s)?

I am looking at the Blackjack, The Lucky D, the Mini Gunboat, and maybe the bat attack or the one and done. Basically the mallets and mid mallets. I am torn on what hosel to buy. I have little arc in my stroke, (did the Sam Putt Lab last year) but don't want the total arc that the slant neck has, and have never been a huge plumbers neck guy. But I guess overall I am between the double bend and the plumber's neck. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, jonskelly91 said:

I am looking at the Blackjack, The Lucky D, the Mini Gunboat, and maybe the bat attack or the one and done. Basically the mallets and mid mallets. I am torn on what hosel to buy. I have little arc in my stroke, (did the Sam Putt Lab last year) but don't want the total arc that the slant neck has, and have never been a huge plumbers neck guy. But I guess overall I am between the double bend and the plumber's neck. 

The new bat attack isn't out yet. Their fitters dont even have a fitting head. 

 

The blackjack and one&done are very stable. With the plumber's neck on them both there is very little toe hang. I haven't putted with the lucky d. The mini gunboat isn't as stable as the one&done or blackjack. 

 

The face is milled with a variable depth diamond pattern. The feel.off the face is a solid thud like feel. Firmer than spider tours and just about any insert face but nowhere near as firm as a milled anser/scotty.

 

The interchangeable weights really do help. They are quite good putters but they have to fit your stroke. If you don't get along with rear CoG putters then the blackjack and one&done may cause you issues. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, InsuranceGuy89 said:

Gen 1 is no good.  Gen 2 are awesome.  Feel is great.  If I was in the market for a putter, Id for sure give them a look.  

I'm going to disagree with this.  I got fit for a Gen1 Operator H seems like couple years ago and it's still in the bag and is an awesome putter.  Feel is wonderful and I've had great success with it.  If I've kept a putter in the bag that long, it must be good.

TM M4 
Epic 15*
Sub70 3 hybrid
Sub70 4 hybrid
Sub70 5 hybrid
Titleist T200 6-GW
54* SM8
58* SM8
PXG Operator H

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, larryd3 said:

I'm going to disagree with this.  I got fit for a Gen1 Operator H seems like couple years ago and it's still in the bag and is an awesome putter.  Feel is wonderful and I've had great success with it.  If I've kept a putter in the bag that long, it must be good.

I guess I should preface it that I hate pretty much all insert putters and that is why I didnt think it felt great.  A milled putter is significantly superior to me

Link to post
Share on other sites

I just had a Gen 2 Blackjack for a short time, I have to say, it was really nice overall.  Feel off the milled face was really smooth but they tend to be on the heavy side unless you want to also buy the weight kit, which I did not care to do.  I struggled getting used to the weight and decided to just move on as I putt well with my current blade.  I would recommend the PXG putters for sure, especially at their prices, they are well built and look great.  I kind of wish I bought the operator, and may give one a try one of these days but for now I am just paying attention to reviews on WRX.

Titleist TSi2 9*  (D4) Aldila VS Proto 60x

Titleist 917f2 16.5* (C1)  Aldila Rogue silver 70s

Mizuno MP-H4 3i  Aldila NVS HYB 85s

Bridgestone J15cb 4-P, PX LZ 6.5

Ping Glide 2.0 Stealth 52/12, 56/12, 60/8

Ping Anser Milled 2  34"

Snell MTB black

Link to post
Share on other sites
51 minutes ago, Nixhex524 said:

I just had a Gen 2 Blackjack for a short time, I have to say, it was really nice overall.  Feel off the milled face was really smooth but they tend to be on the heavy side unless you want to also buy the weight kit, which I did not care to do.  I struggled getting used to the weight and decided to just move on as I putt well with my current blade.  I would recommend the PXG putters for sure, especially at their prices, they are well built and look great.  I kind of wish I bought the operator, and may give one a try one of these days but for now I am just paying attention to reviews on WRX.

I just ordered an operator...moving on from the blackjack myself. Blackjack is a very, very good putter, for the person who likes a rear CoG. I wish I could have the blackjack with about 50% of it's weight distributed toward the face rather than back AND not be 380g+.

 

Will see what the operator has to offer. I realized that I made a statement not long ago "just give me a spider tour with a milled face"...well, that's the dang operator. 

 

So I ordered it.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, getitdaily said:

The new bat attack isn't out yet. Their fitters dont even have a fitting head. 

 

The blackjack and one&done are very stable. With the plumber's neck on them both there is very little toe hang. I haven't putted with the lucky d. The mini gunboat isn't as stable as the one&done or blackjack. 

 

The face is milled with a variable depth diamond pattern. The feel.off the face is a solid thud like feel. Firmer than spider tours and just about any insert face but nowhere near as firm as a milled anser/scotty.

 

The interchangeable weights really do help. They are quite good putters but they have to fit your stroke. If you don't get along with rear CoG putters then the blackjack and one&done may cause you issues. 


yeah I hate buying one without trying them out in person. They just look awesome and have me super intrigued. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

OP. Lots of putters for me as well. Have a gen1 mini gunboat and put ok with it but find it soft of the face compared to my Scotty’s. Ordered a Blackjack with DB as I like my Notchback and have very little arc. I like the looks and figure with the sale, it won’t be hard to resell if I somehow don’t like it.  

 

Like most on here, hard to to buy one without trying and testing but also pretty easy!

9.5 TS3 Rogue 130 TX

15 TS3 Rogue 125 TX

19 818 H2 Tensei Pro white X

4-GW T100S PX LZ 6.0

54 SM7 KBS 610

60 SM7 KBS 610

SC Notchback DB

 

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I have the Mini Gunboat in the double bend shaft.  Most consistent putter I have had.  Very good on lag putts and very easy to line up.  

  • Ping G400 - Tour shaft 8.4°
  • Callaway Epic Speed - Mitsubishi Tensei Blue 74
  • Ping G425 Hybrid - VA Composites Raijin 84
  • Callaway Apex Pro '21 - MMT Hy80  23°
  • Ping i210 - Mitsubishi MMT 105 5-P
  • Ping Glide 2.0 Stealth - 50°, 54°, 58°
  • PXG Gen 2 Mini Gunboat 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, jmurdock81 said:

I have the Mini Gunboat in the double bend shaft.  Most consistent putter I have had.  Very good on lag putts and very easy to line up.  


I have a little bit of arc in my stroke do you see an issue with that or should I go plumbers neck? I do think it looks good in the double bend

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, jonskelly91 said:


I have a little bit of arc in my stroke do you see an issue with that or should I go plumbers neck? I do think it looks good in the double bend

I did the SAM putter lab at Club champion and I also have a slight arc.  A little more straight back and through, but a slight arc.  It recommended a face balanced putter for me, which the double bend gives you.  I was putting with my mini gunboat at my fitting.  I told the fitter that the PXG was staying in the bag before we started, but wanted to know what my stroke was doing and where I could improve.  Results came back with exactly what I had.  Mallet putter, face balanced. 

  • Like 1
  • Ping G400 - Tour shaft 8.4°
  • Callaway Epic Speed - Mitsubishi Tensei Blue 74
  • Ping G425 Hybrid - VA Composites Raijin 84
  • Callaway Apex Pro '21 - MMT Hy80  23°
  • Ping i210 - Mitsubishi MMT 105 5-P
  • Ping Glide 2.0 Stealth - 50°, 54°, 58°
  • PXG Gen 2 Mini Gunboat 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, bombs said:

Good looking putters.

 

Very expensive.


VERY heavy stock head weights.


They’re actually quite reasonable right now, in line with everything else at least as far as price goes. 
 

I have a O&D Double Bend. I have a slight arc in my stroke and putt just fine with it. Definitely worth the price of admission at the sale price. I don’t think they’re worth the normal price. Feel is as good as anything else that’s milled without getting into the copper stuff. Not overly soft but not clicky at all. Just nice and solid. 

TSi3 9* / Ventus Black 6x

TSi2 16.5* / Ventus Black 8x

TSi2 21* / Ventus Red 9x

T100•s 4-PW / DG X7

SM8 50-8 F, 54-12 D / DG TI X1

WW SM8 58-6 LB K Grind / DG TI X1

One and Done DB

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, jmurdock81 said:

I did the SAM putter lab at Club champion and I also have a slight arc.  A little more straight back and through, but a slight arc.  It recommended a face balanced putter for me, which the double bend gives you.  I was putting with my mini gunboat at my fitting.  I told the fitter that the PXG was staying in the bag before we started, but wanted to know what my stroke was doing and where I could improve.  Results came back with exactly what I had.  Mallet putter, face balanced. 


very cool. I have a club champion about an hour away I may have to see if they have the pxg putter line there.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, jonskelly91 said:


very cool. I have a club champion about an hour away I may have to see if they have the pxg putter line there.

They did have a few models at my CC.  Like I said though, I was using my own PXG.  I think they had 3-4 mallet/mid mallet and 2 blade style PXGs.  Good luck!

  • Ping G400 - Tour shaft 8.4°
  • Callaway Epic Speed - Mitsubishi Tensei Blue 74
  • Ping G425 Hybrid - VA Composites Raijin 84
  • Callaway Apex Pro '21 - MMT Hy80  23°
  • Ping i210 - Mitsubishi MMT 105 5-P
  • Ping Glide 2.0 Stealth - 50°, 54°, 58°
  • PXG Gen 2 Mini Gunboat 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, bombs said:

Good looking putters.

 

Very expensive.


VERY heavy stock head weights.

They are less expensive that Toulon, Scotty Cameron, Taylormade Spider, Bettinardi, and most Odyssey putters. 
As far as head weight, they are a little heavier than some, but they don’t feel heavy if that makes sense.  Also, I think the weight keeps it stable through the stroke. IMO.

  • Like 2
  • Ping G400 - Tour shaft 8.4°
  • Callaway Epic Speed - Mitsubishi Tensei Blue 74
  • Ping G425 Hybrid - VA Composites Raijin 84
  • Callaway Apex Pro '21 - MMT Hy80  23°
  • Ping i210 - Mitsubishi MMT 105 5-P
  • Ping Glide 2.0 Stealth - 50°, 54°, 58°
  • PXG Gen 2 Mini Gunboat 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

PXG putters were not worth their original price, but at the sale price, it becomes a contender.

 

With Odyssey 10 series putters costing more, I cant argue that PXG feels or performs any worse than any Odyssey putters.

 

Having said this, I would not buy one again. I had the Mini Gunboat for awhile and also played around with One and Done, but for MY PREFERENCE, they felt dead to me. Like previous members response, its meaty and has a "thud" but thats not what everyone is looking for from a feel of a putter.

 

There was something artificial about the way it felt, that made distance control very difficult for me. After using for couple of weeks, I still found myself uncomfortable from anything over 15ft or so.

 

Alignment is top notch tho. Loved the contrast of black and white and overall it looked great.

 

I would highly recommend trying one before purchasing, but I dunno even where you can test one.

 

 

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Gohigh said:

PXG putters were not worth their original price, but at the sale price, it becomes a contender.

 

With Odyssey 10 series putters costing more, I cant argue that PXG feels or performs any worse than any Odyssey putters.

 

Having said this, I would not buy one again. I had the Mini Gunboat for awhile and also played around with One and Done, but for MY PREFERENCE, they felt dead to me. Like previous members response, its meaty and has a "thud" but thats not what everyone is looking for from a feel of a putter.

 

There was something artificial about the way it felt, that made distance control very difficult for me. After using for couple of weeks, I still found myself uncomfortable from anything over 15ft or so.

 

Alignment is top notch tho. Loved the contrast of black and white and overall it looked great.

 

I would highly recommend trying one before purchasing, but I dunno even where you can test one.

 

 

 

 

 

This is one of my concerns with mine. I haven't gotten it outside yet due to the winter we're having. I'm used to something with a bit of a crisper feel than this. I've been using it indoors on my putting mats for the last month or so though and inside 10 feet I haven't used anything better. 

TSi3 9* / Ventus Black 6x

TSi2 16.5* / Ventus Black 8x

TSi2 21* / Ventus Red 9x

T100•s 4-PW / DG X7

SM8 50-8 F, 54-12 D / DG TI X1

WW SM8 58-6 LB K Grind / DG TI X1

One and Done DB

Link to post
Share on other sites

It appears that PXG will also add to its Battle Ready Line up

On the Golf Digest Hot List, the blade tested was a Battle Ready Closer

 

https://www.golfdigest.com/hot-list/golf-clubs/blade-putters/pxg-battle-ready

 

 

If they keep the pricing they have now an add a Battle Ready Spitfire, they will get my money

They may get it when the Battle Ready Closer comes out.

 

 

  • Like 1

Driver -COBRA FLY-Z 10.5*

4 Wood - PING G400 17.5*

Hybrid  PING G400 22*

Irons - PING G400 5-UW

Wedges - Callaway CB 54* ; Cleveland CBX2 Full Face 58*

Putter - PING Kushin 34in (Spider Tour Black 34in)

Ball- Bridgestone RX

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
55 minutes ago, scott406 said:

It appears that PXG will also add to its Battle Ready Line up

On the Golf Digest Hot List, the blade tested was a Battle Ready Closer

 

https://www.golfdigest.com/hot-list/golf-clubs/blade-putters/pxg-battle-ready

 

 

If they keep the pricing they have now an add a Battle Ready Spitfire, they will get my money

They may get it when the Battle Ready Closer comes out.

 

 

They become a big player if they keep their pricing competitive. At their old prices I would never have looked at them. But they make really good putters many will never see if they go back to their old.pricing model. 

 

Said this in another thread, if they keep prices down to no longer be a luxury brand then they will have to refigure distribution. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   1 member

  • Our picks

    • 2021 WGC Workday Championship @ The Concession Photos- Links & Discussion (UpDaTeD)
      Please post any questions or comments here.
       
      Links...
       
      2021 WGC Workday Championship - Tuesday #1
      2021 WGC Workday Championship - Tuesday #2
      2021 WGC Workday Championship - Tuesday #3
      2021 WGC Workday Championship - Tuesday #4
      2021 WGC Workday Championship - Tuesday #5
      2021 WGC Workday Championship - Tuesday #6
      Cameron Smith's Cameron 11.5 putter - 2021 WGC Workday Championship
      Cameron putter 2021 WGC Workday Championship
      2021 Ping putters - 2021 WGC Workday Championship
      Rory wearing new Nike Tour Victory II shoes - 2021 WGC Workday Championship
      Odyssey putters - 2021 WGC Workday Championship
       
      • 48 replies
    • 2021 AT&T Pebble Beach - discussion
      2021 AT&T Pebble Beach - Tuesday #1
      2021 AT&T Pebble Beach - Tuesday #2
       
      2021 AT&T Pebble Beach - Tuesday #3
       
      2021 AT&T Pebble Beach - Tuesday #4
       
      2021 AT&T Pebble Beach - Tuesday #5
       
      2021 AT&T Pebble Beach - Tuesday #6
       
      2021 AT&T Pebble Beach - Tuesday #7
       
      2021 AT&T Pebble Beach - Tuesday #8
       
      2021 AT&T Pebble Beach - Tuesday #9

      Ryan Moore with Axis 1 putter @ 2021 AT&T PB
       
       
       
      Please post any questions and comments here
      • 59 replies
    • 2021 Waste Management Phoenix Open - Discussion
      General galleries
      2021 Waste Management Phoenix Open - Tuesday #1
      2021 Waste Management Phoenix Open - Tuesday #2
      2021 Waste Management Phoenix Open - Tuesday #3
      2021 Waste Management Phoenix Open - Tuesday #4
      Monday Qualifier for Waste Management Open 
      Special galleries
       
      Ping PLD putters - 2021 WMPO Scott Brown with MMT graphite shafts in his ProTo Concept irons - 2021 WMPO TaylorMade putter cover from 2021 Waste Management Phoenix Open New Srixon golf balls - 2021 WMPO Bettinardi putters & cover - 2021 Waste Management Phoenix Open Cameron putters -2021 Waste Management Phoenix Open Piretti putters -2021 Waste Management Phoenix Open Cameron mallets - 2021 WMPO Odyssey 2-ball Ten - 2021 WMPO  
      Please put any questions or comments here
       
      Jason Day's Bag...
        • Like
      • 21 replies
    • 2021 FARMERS WITB & Equipment Photos- Links and comments
      We are back on the ground at the 2021 Farmers PGA Tour event. Please add you comments in this thread. Here are links to all the galleries:
       
      Special galleries:
      2021 Farmers - Tuesday #1
      2021 Farmers - Tuesday #2
      2021 Farmers - Tuesday #3
      2021 Farmers - Tuesday #4
      2021 Farmers - Tuesday #5
       
      2021 Farmers - Tuesday #6
       
      2021 Farmers - Tuesday #7
       
      Cameron putters - Farmers 2021
       
      Odyssey 2-ball Ten - Farmers 2021
       
      Project X Even Flow RipTide MX & LX proto shafts - Framers 2021
       
      TaylorMade putter cover for Torrey Pines - Farmers 2021
       
      Sling Shot training aid - Farmers 2021
       
       
      • 47 replies
    • 2021 American Express WITB & Equipment Photos- Links and comments
      We are back on the ground at the American Express PGA event.
       
      Here are links to all the galleries:
       
      Cameron putters - 2021 American Express
      PXG Gen 4 prototype drivers - new putters
      UST Maymiya LinQ shafts - American Express 2021
      Mitsubishi Kaili & MMT shafts - American Express 2021
      Titleist TSi 2 & TSi 3 hybrids - American Express 2021
      TaylorMade putter cover for Palm Springs/Palm Desert - American Express
      New Aldila Synergy, Ascent & prototype shafts - American Express 2021
      Callaway Apex Pro iron, Epic Driver and fairway, Apex iron & hybrid - American Express 2021
      New Perfect Practice training aids - American Express 2021
      New KBS prototype shafts - American Express 2021
       
        • Like
      • 18 replies

×
×
  • Create New...