Jump to content

PXG Putter Feedback


Recommended Posts

Long time lurker here and this is my first ever post. I am thinking about buying one of the PXG putters while they have them on sale right now, and was wondering what the community thought about them. On sale they priced in line with other high end putters. I am kind of a putter whore and want to try one out.

 

Thanks for any feedback you can give!

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 277
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I got my battle ready bat attack today. I did the full bag fitting and I rolled them all but went with the bat attack with plumbers neck. I’m currently playing a handmade custom xenon blade and have b

BR putters were decreased another $20 on the PXG website. I called to order a Proto hybrid and they gave me a credit  for the difference since I just purchased the BR spitfire a couple of weeks ago.

Had the fitting today and another great experience with David J.     First, the PXG putters I hit really roll the ball well. I found that the Brandon really has a very soft feel and excellen

Posted Images

Just now, getitdaily said:

Kind of have to be specific here...what models are you looking at? What hosel(s)?

I am looking at the Blackjack, The Lucky D, the Mini Gunboat, and maybe the bat attack or the one and done. Basically the mallets and mid mallets. I am torn on what hosel to buy. I have little arc in my stroke, (did the Sam Putt Lab last year) but don't want the total arc that the slant neck has, and have never been a huge plumbers neck guy. But I guess overall I am between the double bend and the plumber's neck. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, jonskelly91 said:

I am looking at the Blackjack, The Lucky D, the Mini Gunboat, and maybe the bat attack or the one and done. Basically the mallets and mid mallets. I am torn on what hosel to buy. I have little arc in my stroke, (did the Sam Putt Lab last year) but don't want the total arc that the slant neck has, and have never been a huge plumbers neck guy. But I guess overall I am between the double bend and the plumber's neck. 

The new bat attack isn't out yet. Their fitters dont even have a fitting head. 

 

The blackjack and one&done are very stable. With the plumber's neck on them both there is very little toe hang. I haven't putted with the lucky d. The mini gunboat isn't as stable as the one&done or blackjack. 

 

The face is milled with a variable depth diamond pattern. The feel.off the face is a solid thud like feel. Firmer than spider tours and just about any insert face but nowhere near as firm as a milled anser/scotty.

 

The interchangeable weights really do help. They are quite good putters but they have to fit your stroke. If you don't get along with rear CoG putters then the blackjack and one&done may cause you issues. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, InsuranceGuy89 said:

Gen 1 is no good.  Gen 2 are awesome.  Feel is great.  If I was in the market for a putter, Id for sure give them a look.  

I'm going to disagree with this.  I got fit for a Gen1 Operator H seems like couple years ago and it's still in the bag and is an awesome putter.  Feel is wonderful and I've had great success with it.  If I've kept a putter in the bag that long, it must be good.

SIM2 Autoflex 505
Epic 15*
Sub70 3 hybrid
Sub70 5 hybrid

Sub70 6 hybrid
Apex 21 irons  6-gap 
54* SM8
Sub70 JB low bounce 58*
PXG Operator H

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, larryd3 said:

I'm going to disagree with this.  I got fit for a Gen1 Operator H seems like couple years ago and it's still in the bag and is an awesome putter.  Feel is wonderful and I've had great success with it.  If I've kept a putter in the bag that long, it must be good.

I guess I should preface it that I hate pretty much all insert putters and that is why I didnt think it felt great.  A milled putter is significantly superior to me

Link to post
Share on other sites

I just had a Gen 2 Blackjack for a short time, I have to say, it was really nice overall.  Feel off the milled face was really smooth but they tend to be on the heavy side unless you want to also buy the weight kit, which I did not care to do.  I struggled getting used to the weight and decided to just move on as I putt well with my current blade.  I would recommend the PXG putters for sure, especially at their prices, they are well built and look great.  I kind of wish I bought the operator, and may give one a try one of these days but for now I am just paying attention to reviews on WRX.

Callaway Mavrik 9.5 Aldila Rogue white 60x

Ping G425 Max 14.5*  Alta CB 65x

Ping G25 20*  TFC189s

Srixon Z785 4-P Modus 120s

Ping Glide 2.0 stealth 52/12

Titleist Vokey SM6 , 58/12

Taylormade Spider X navy  35"

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
51 minutes ago, Nixhex524 said:

I just had a Gen 2 Blackjack for a short time, I have to say, it was really nice overall.  Feel off the milled face was really smooth but they tend to be on the heavy side unless you want to also buy the weight kit, which I did not care to do.  I struggled getting used to the weight and decided to just move on as I putt well with my current blade.  I would recommend the PXG putters for sure, especially at their prices, they are well built and look great.  I kind of wish I bought the operator, and may give one a try one of these days but for now I am just paying attention to reviews on WRX.

I just ordered an operator...moving on from the blackjack myself. Blackjack is a very, very good putter, for the person who likes a rear CoG. I wish I could have the blackjack with about 50% of it's weight distributed toward the face rather than back AND not be 380g+.

 

Will see what the operator has to offer. I realized that I made a statement not long ago "just give me a spider tour with a milled face"...well, that's the dang operator. 

 

So I ordered it.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, getitdaily said:

The new bat attack isn't out yet. Their fitters dont even have a fitting head. 

 

The blackjack and one&done are very stable. With the plumber's neck on them both there is very little toe hang. I haven't putted with the lucky d. The mini gunboat isn't as stable as the one&done or blackjack. 

 

The face is milled with a variable depth diamond pattern. The feel.off the face is a solid thud like feel. Firmer than spider tours and just about any insert face but nowhere near as firm as a milled anser/scotty.

 

The interchangeable weights really do help. They are quite good putters but they have to fit your stroke. If you don't get along with rear CoG putters then the blackjack and one&done may cause you issues. 


yeah I hate buying one without trying them out in person. They just look awesome and have me super intrigued. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

OP. Lots of putters for me as well. Have a gen1 mini gunboat and put ok with it but find it soft of the face compared to my Scotty’s. Ordered a Blackjack with DB as I like my Notchback and have very little arc. I like the looks and figure with the sale, it won’t be hard to resell if I somehow don’t like it.  

 

Like most on here, hard to to buy one without trying and testing but also pretty easy!

SIM 9.0 Ventus 6X

SIMTi 15 Rogue white 130

3 T100s AMT X100

4-GW T100S PX LZ 6.0

53 0311 PX LZ 6.0

58 0311 PX LZ 6.0

 

PXG Blackjack

Link to post
Share on other sites

I have the Mini Gunboat in the double bend shaft.  Most consistent putter I have had.  Very good on lag putts and very easy to line up.  

  • Titleist TSi 3 - Mitsubishi Tensei White
  • Callaway Epic Speed 15° - Diamana TB 70
  • Callaway Epic Speed 21° -  Mitsubishi MMT 70
  • Callaway ‘21 Apex Pro 23° - Mitsubishi Tensei HY Blue
  • Ping i210 - Mitsubishi MMT 105 5-P
  • Ping Glide 2.0 Stealth - 50°, 54°, 58°
  • PXG Gen 2 Mini Gunboat 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, jmurdock81 said:

I have the Mini Gunboat in the double bend shaft.  Most consistent putter I have had.  Very good on lag putts and very easy to line up.  


I have a little bit of arc in my stroke do you see an issue with that or should I go plumbers neck? I do think it looks good in the double bend

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, jonskelly91 said:


I have a little bit of arc in my stroke do you see an issue with that or should I go plumbers neck? I do think it looks good in the double bend

I did the SAM putter lab at Club champion and I also have a slight arc.  A little more straight back and through, but a slight arc.  It recommended a face balanced putter for me, which the double bend gives you.  I was putting with my mini gunboat at my fitting.  I told the fitter that the PXG was staying in the bag before we started, but wanted to know what my stroke was doing and where I could improve.  Results came back with exactly what I had.  Mallet putter, face balanced. 

  • Like 1
  • Titleist TSi 3 - Mitsubishi Tensei White
  • Callaway Epic Speed 15° - Diamana TB 70
  • Callaway Epic Speed 21° -  Mitsubishi MMT 70
  • Callaway ‘21 Apex Pro 23° - Mitsubishi Tensei HY Blue
  • Ping i210 - Mitsubishi MMT 105 5-P
  • Ping Glide 2.0 Stealth - 50°, 54°, 58°
  • PXG Gen 2 Mini Gunboat 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, bombs said:

Good looking putters.

 

Very expensive.


VERY heavy stock head weights.


They’re actually quite reasonable right now, in line with everything else at least as far as price goes. 
 

I have a O&D Double Bend. I have a slight arc in my stroke and putt just fine with it. Definitely worth the price of admission at the sale price. I don’t think they’re worth the normal price. Feel is as good as anything else that’s milled without getting into the copper stuff. Not overly soft but not clicky at all. Just nice and solid. 

TSi3 9* / Ventus Black 6x

TSi3 13.5* / Ventus Black 8x

TSi3 19* / Ventus Black HB 10tx

U500 20* / MMT UT 125tx

T100•s 5-P / Dynamic Gold X7

SM8 50, 54, 58 / Dynamic TI X100

Squareback 2 / Stability - Cuvio / TPZ ONE35

WITB Thread

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, jmurdock81 said:

I did the SAM putter lab at Club champion and I also have a slight arc.  A little more straight back and through, but a slight arc.  It recommended a face balanced putter for me, which the double bend gives you.  I was putting with my mini gunboat at my fitting.  I told the fitter that the PXG was staying in the bag before we started, but wanted to know what my stroke was doing and where I could improve.  Results came back with exactly what I had.  Mallet putter, face balanced. 


very cool. I have a club champion about an hour away I may have to see if they have the pxg putter line there.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, jonskelly91 said:


very cool. I have a club champion about an hour away I may have to see if they have the pxg putter line there.

They did have a few models at my CC.  Like I said though, I was using my own PXG.  I think they had 3-4 mallet/mid mallet and 2 blade style PXGs.  Good luck!

  • Titleist TSi 3 - Mitsubishi Tensei White
  • Callaway Epic Speed 15° - Diamana TB 70
  • Callaway Epic Speed 21° -  Mitsubishi MMT 70
  • Callaway ‘21 Apex Pro 23° - Mitsubishi Tensei HY Blue
  • Ping i210 - Mitsubishi MMT 105 5-P
  • Ping Glide 2.0 Stealth - 50°, 54°, 58°
  • PXG Gen 2 Mini Gunboat 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, bombs said:

Good looking putters.

 

Very expensive.


VERY heavy stock head weights.

They are less expensive that Toulon, Scotty Cameron, Taylormade Spider, Bettinardi, and most Odyssey putters. 
As far as head weight, they are a little heavier than some, but they don’t feel heavy if that makes sense.  Also, I think the weight keeps it stable through the stroke. IMO.

  • Like 2
  • Titleist TSi 3 - Mitsubishi Tensei White
  • Callaway Epic Speed 15° - Diamana TB 70
  • Callaway Epic Speed 21° -  Mitsubishi MMT 70
  • Callaway ‘21 Apex Pro 23° - Mitsubishi Tensei HY Blue
  • Ping i210 - Mitsubishi MMT 105 5-P
  • Ping Glide 2.0 Stealth - 50°, 54°, 58°
  • PXG Gen 2 Mini Gunboat 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

PXG putters were not worth their original price, but at the sale price, it becomes a contender.

 

With Odyssey 10 series putters costing more, I cant argue that PXG feels or performs any worse than any Odyssey putters.

 

Having said this, I would not buy one again. I had the Mini Gunboat for awhile and also played around with One and Done, but for MY PREFERENCE, they felt dead to me. Like previous members response, its meaty and has a "thud" but thats not what everyone is looking for from a feel of a putter.

 

There was something artificial about the way it felt, that made distance control very difficult for me. After using for couple of weeks, I still found myself uncomfortable from anything over 15ft or so.

 

Alignment is top notch tho. Loved the contrast of black and white and overall it looked great.

 

I would highly recommend trying one before purchasing, but I dunno even where you can test one.

 

 

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I love my mini Gunboat with a plumbers neck.  I even bought the blackjack as I love playing around with equipment but quickly went back to mini gunboat.  Great feel, easy on lag putts/distance control (which is most important to me).  I highly recommend and if you get fit, you will love the result.

Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Gohigh said:

PXG putters were not worth their original price, but at the sale price, it becomes a contender.

 

With Odyssey 10 series putters costing more, I cant argue that PXG feels or performs any worse than any Odyssey putters.

 

Having said this, I would not buy one again. I had the Mini Gunboat for awhile and also played around with One and Done, but for MY PREFERENCE, they felt dead to me. Like previous members response, its meaty and has a "thud" but thats not what everyone is looking for from a feel of a putter.

 

There was something artificial about the way it felt, that made distance control very difficult for me. After using for couple of weeks, I still found myself uncomfortable from anything over 15ft or so.

 

Alignment is top notch tho. Loved the contrast of black and white and overall it looked great.

 

I would highly recommend trying one before purchasing, but I dunno even where you can test one.

 

 

 

 

 

This is one of my concerns with mine. I haven't gotten it outside yet due to the winter we're having. I'm used to something with a bit of a crisper feel than this. I've been using it indoors on my putting mats for the last month or so though and inside 10 feet I haven't used anything better. 

TSi3 9* / Ventus Black 6x

TSi3 13.5* / Ventus Black 8x

TSi3 19* / Ventus Black HB 10tx

U500 20* / MMT UT 125tx

T100•s 5-P / Dynamic Gold X7

SM8 50, 54, 58 / Dynamic TI X100

Squareback 2 / Stability - Cuvio / TPZ ONE35

WITB Thread

Link to post
Share on other sites

It appears that PXG will also add to its Battle Ready Line up

On the Golf Digest Hot List, the blade tested was a Battle Ready Closer

 

https://www.golfdigest.com/hot-list/golf-clubs/blade-putters/pxg-battle-ready

 

 

If they keep the pricing they have now an add a Battle Ready Spitfire, they will get my money

They may get it when the Battle Ready Closer comes out.

 

 

  • Like 2

Driver -COBRA FLY-Z 9.5*

5 Wood - PING G400 17.5*

Hybrid  PING G400 22*

Irons - PING G400 5-UW

Wedges - Callaway CB 54* ; Cleveland CBX2 Full Face 58*

Putter - PXG Battle Ready Spitfire-34in

Ball- Snell- Black

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
55 minutes ago, scott406 said:

It appears that PXG will also add to its Battle Ready Line up

On the Golf Digest Hot List, the blade tested was a Battle Ready Closer

 

https://www.golfdigest.com/hot-list/golf-clubs/blade-putters/pxg-battle-ready

 

 

If they keep the pricing they have now an add a Battle Ready Spitfire, they will get my money

They may get it when the Battle Ready Closer comes out.

 

 

They become a big player if they keep their pricing competitive. At their old prices I would never have looked at them. But they make really good putters many will never see if they go back to their old.pricing model. 

 

Said this in another thread, if they keep prices down to no longer be a luxury brand then they will have to refigure distribution. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • Our picks

    • Wichita Open (Korn Ferry) - Discussion and Links
      Please put any question or comments here.
       
      Links to the galleries...
      2021 Wichita Open (Korn Ferry) - Tuesday #1
      2021 Wichita Open (Korn Ferry) - Tuesday #2
      2021 Wichita Open (Korn Ferry) - Tuesday #3
      2021 Wichita Open (Korn Ferry) - Tuesday #4
      2021 Wichita Open (Korn Ferry) - Tuesday #5
      2021 Wichita Open (Korn Ferry) - Tuesday #6
      2021 Wichita Open (Korn Ferry) - Tuesday #7
      2021 Wichita Open (Korn Ferry) - Tuesday #8
      2021 Wichita Open (Korn Ferry) - Tuesday #9
       
      Adam Svensson with new model of Puma golf shoes - 2021 Wichita Open (Korn Ferry)
       


       
      2021 Wichita Open (Korn Ferry) - Tuesday #1
      2021 Wichita Open (Korn Ferry) - Tuesday #2
      2021 Wichita Open (Korn Ferry) - Tuesday #3
      2021 Wichita Open (Korn Ferry) - Tuesday #4
      2021 Wichita Open (Korn Ferry) - Tuesday #5
      2021 Wichita Open (Korn Ferry) - Tuesday #6
      2021 Wichita Open (Korn Ferry) - Tuesday #7
      2021 Wichita Open (Korn Ferry) - Tuesday #8
      2021 Wichita Open (Korn Ferry) - Tuesday #9
       
      Adam Svensson with new model of Puma golf shoes - 2021 Wichita Open (Korn Ferry)
       

       
        • Like
      • 4 replies
    • 2021 Palmetto Championship @ Congaree - Discussion and Links
      Please put any questions or comments here
       
       

       
      2021 Palmetto Championship @ Congaree - Tuesday #1
      2021 Palmetto Championship @ Congaree - Tuesday #2
      2021 Palmetto Championship @ Congaree - Tuesday #3
      2021 Palmetto Championship @ Congaree - Tuesday #4
      2021 Palmetto Championship @ Congaree - Tuesday #5
      2021 Palmetto Championship @ Congaree - Tuesday #6
       
       

       
       
      Bryson Nimmer's Bettinardi putter - 2021 Palmetto Championship @ Congaree
      Dustin Johnson's got the putter try-outs going on - 2021 Palmetto Championship @ Congaree
      Scotty Cameron putters - 2021 Palmetto Championship @ Congaree
       
       
       
       
        • Like
      • 35 replies
    • 2021 Memorial - Discussion & Links
      Please put any questions or comments here
       
       
       
       

       
      2021 Memorial - Tuesday #1
      2021 Memorial - Tuesday #2
      2021 Memorial - Tuesday #3
      2021 Memorial - Tuesday #4
      2021 Memorial - Tuesday #5
      2021 Memorial - Tuesday #6
      2021 Memorial - Tuesday #7
      2021 Memorial - Tuesday #8
      2021 Memorial - Tuesday #9
       
       
       

       
       
       

       
      Piretti putter & cover for Hideki - 2021 Memorial
      Odyssey putters - 2021 Memorial
      New Odyssey (play like a kid) putter over - 2021 Memorial
      Bettinardi putters & covers - 2021 Memorial
      Ben An's Cameron putter - 2021 Memorial
       
       
      • 27 replies
    • 2021 Charles Schwab Challenge  - Discussion & Links
      Please put any questions or comments here
       
       

       
      2021 Charles Schwab Challenge - Tuesday #1
      2021 Charles Schwab Challenge - Tuesday #2
      2021 Charles Schwab Challenge - Tuesday #3
      2021 Charles Schwab Challenge - Tuesday #4
      2021 Charles Schwab Challenge - Tuesday #5
      2021 Charles Schwab Challenge - Tuesday #6
      2021 Charles Schwab Challenge - Tuesday #7
       
       

       
      2021 Charles Schwab Challenge winner will get this Power wagon
      Eric Compton testing Axis 1 putter - 2021 Charles Schwab Challenge
      Cameron putter and new cover - 2021 Charles Schwab Challenge
       
       
      • 7 replies
    • Phil Mickelson Winning WITB from the 2021 PGA Championship
      Phil Mickelson's Winning What's In The Bag? 
       
      Driver: Callaway Epic Speed Triple Diamond (6 degrees @5.5 , green dot cog) Fujikura Ventus Black 6 X (47.9 inches)
      2-wood: TaylorMade “Original One” Mini Driver (11.5 degrees) Fujikura Ventus Black 7 X
      4-wood: (Sunday only): Callaway Mavrik Sub Zero (16.5 degrees) Fujikura Ventus Blue 8 X
      Irons: Callaway X Forged UT (16) (Thursday-Saturday), Callaway X21 UT Proto (19 degrees @20.5, 25), Callaway Apex MB ‘21 (small groove) (6-PW) Shafts- 16* MCA MMT 105 TX, KBS Tour V 125 S+
      Wedges: Callaway PM Grind ’19 “Raw” ([email protected]*, 55-12*, 60-10*) Shafts: KBS Tour V 125 S+
      Putter: Odyssey Milled Blade “Phil Mickelson” SuperStroke Pistol GT Tour
      Ball: Callaway Chrome Soft X (Triple Track)
      Grips: Golf Pride MCC
       
      Link to more pics on the front-page... https://www.golfwrx.com/654804/phil-mickelson-witb-2021-may-pga-championship/
       

       
       
        • Thanks
        • Like
      • 86 replies

×
×
  • Create New...