PXG Putter Feedback

jonskelly91

Are there major differences between the Mustang and Closer besides the winged flange on the Mustang? They look like they’d be pretty similar putters in how they perform. I kind of like the alignment look you get with the flange of the Mustang. 

Callaway Paradym Triple Diamond 10.5 w/Diamana TB 60S

PXG GEN6 5 wood w/Diamana S-plus 70 stiff

Yamaha RMX VD 7 wood w/Diamana S-plus 70 stiff

Callaway Mavrik Pro hybrid (22) w/Aldila Tour Blue 85 stiff hybrid

Wilson Staff Model CB 5-G w/DG s300 shafts

Edel T grind 54 w/Nippon 125 wedge shaft

Fourteen RM-12 58 w/Dynamic Golds400

Axis1 Rose putter, 34 inches

5 hours ago, dmeeksDC said:

Are there major differences between the Mustang and Closer besides the winged flange on the Mustang? They look like they’d be pretty similar putters in how they perform. I kind of like the alignment look you get with the flange of the Mustang. 

Mustang is firmer off the face. They perform very similarly. A touch better balance on the closer. 

1 hour ago, getitdaily said:

@endy

Today was why the operator won't ever be sold. 9 birdies. Made just about everything I looked at. Operator was automatic today.

I can’t get away from it either, haven’t had 9 birdies in a round before (what the heck did you shoot ?!?!) but it’s been awesome, I’m kicking myself though because I had a SS GT Pistol 2.0 installed instead of a 1.0 and I freaking know better. Always liked the 1.0 best so going to have to get one installed soon. Also, very tempted to put a LAGP 135 or Fuji MC 115 in it but I think the Black TT or KBS (whatever is in it) is actually a pretty solid shaft. 

Edited by endy

1 minute ago, endy said:

I can’t get away from it either, haven’t had 9 birdies in a round before (what the heck did you shoot ?!?!) but it’s been awesome, I’m kicking myself though because I had a SS GT Pistol 2.0 installed instead of a 1.0 and I freaking know better. Always liked the 1.0 best so going to have to get one installed soon. 

66...with a 3 putt. I still struggle from distance with the operator. 3 bogies. Hit 14 greens and had 25 putts...with a 3 putt.  I 2 putted 3 times on the back and 1 putted all the other greens. Just did everything well today. Every putt I read correctly went in.

I'm with you on the 1.0. The pistol gt 1.0 is my grip.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, getitdaily said:

66...with a 3 putt. I still struggle from distance with the operator. 3 bogies. Hit 14 greens and had 25 putts...with a 3 putt.  I 2 putted 3 times on the back and 1 putted all the other greens. Just did everything well today. Every putt I read correctly went in.

I'm with you on the 1.0. The pistol gt 1.0 is my grip.

Wow. Nice playin. I need to check out that grip. The wristlock was too big and blocky to me. 

• Like 1

Got the mini gunboat gripped up, lie set, and ran putts on my birdie ball matt. 

On the matt, it seems to have a touch more stability than the closer. Pace off the face is firmer than operator. Firm like the closer. Only odd thing is that at 355g it feels very head heavy. Was pulling putts. Dropped to 345g and it feels superb. Hopefully get it on greens tomorrow while my 7yr old does his first tee stuff.

• Like 1

https://pluggedingolf.com/pxg-battle-ready-spitfire-putter-review/

Spitfire review

Would have to disagree with how they describe the sound of the putter as a "thud"

When I see someone say "thud", I think a low pitch sound.

My Spitfire is not low pitch sounding

Mine sounds like a "ding" a loud "ding"

Like an old PING Rite IN 5

It sounds like a "thud" when you miss the sweet spot

Other than that, good review.

Edited by scott406

Driver -Cobra RadSpeed 9*

5 Wood - PING G425 16*

Hybrid  PING G410 22*

Irons - PING G400 5-UW

Wedges - Cleveland Zipcore CBX 54* ; Cleveland CBX Zipcore Full Face 58*

Putter - PXG Battle Ready Closer-34"

Ball- Wilson Triad 

On 8/5/2021 at 8:51 PM, Liveonce said:

Looking to pick up a Closer if anyone has one up for grabs. 

I sent you a PM

Smoke 9* GD IZ 5s
Smoke 🔹🔹🔹15* GD IZ 6s

T150's 5-PW KBS Tour
SM10 Nickel 50/12F KBS Tour
SM10 Nickel 54/10S KBS Tour
SM10 Nickel 58/08M KBS Tour

Nike 006 Paul Casey Proto 
Nike 006 Rory Proto 

PRO V1 #36 or #70

[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/973333-mnnikeguy-nike-oven-witb/"]WITB Link[/url]

Put the mini gunboat in play for a casual round yesterday. It is what I hoped it would be...more stable than the closer with similar speed off the face. It won't unseat the operator on greens that have pace but it should be a very reliable slow greens putter. 

I have said this before and will say it again, pxg moveable weight in their putters is awesome. First 9 holes I was starting the ball ledt of my intended line too much. Moved more weight forward and presto, ball starting online. Absolutely love that there's no compromise with pxg putters. 

• Like 2

Trying to decide on which head to get for a midlock.  I like the look of the Operator the best but it looks like they may only have LH available now?  That leaves the Gunboat, Bat Attack, or the Blackjack because I am not sure the Blackbird would be okay since it looks so long and the One and Done is a no go for me.  I wish I could try them out but there isn't a place for me to try one for miles.  

Ping G430 Max 9* Fujikura Ventus Velocore Blue 6X
Ping G425 Max 14.5 Alta CB 65S
Callaway Rogue ST Max 18* Tensei Blue 75S

PXG 0211 XCOR2 5-GW
Titleist SM9  52*F 56*D and 60*D
L.A.B. Link1/Scotty Newport
Srixon Z Star XV

3 hours ago, Hstead said:

Trying to decide on which head to get for a midlock.  I like the look of the Operator the best but it looks like they may only have LH available now?  That leaves the Gunboat, Bat Attack, or the Blackjack because I am not sure the Blackbird would be okay since it looks so long and the One and Done is a no go for me.  I wish I could try them out but there isn't a place for me to try one for miles.  

Gunboat and bat attack will feel more balanced than the blackjack. The rear CoG of the blackjack is very noticeable. 

I'd personally go for the gunboat. It has more weight ports all around. Much better to use the weights to dial in path and face.

11 hours ago, getitdaily said:

Gunboat and bat attack will feel more balanced than the blackjack. The rear CoG of the blackjack is very noticeable. 

I'd personally go for the gunboat. It has more weight ports all around. Much better to use the weights to dial in path and face.

I was hoping you would reply, thank you.  What would you choose between the Gunboat, mini gunboat, or the Operator?  I am hoping I can get my guy to find one Operator somewhere.  Planning on ordering it tomorrow.  Thanks

Edited by Hstead

Ping G430 Max 9* Fujikura Ventus Velocore Blue 6X
Ping G425 Max 14.5 Alta CB 65S
Callaway Rogue ST Max 18* Tensei Blue 75S

PXG 0211 XCOR2 5-GW
Titleist SM9  52*F 56*D and 60*D
L.A.B. Link1/Scotty Newport
Srixon Z Star XV

10 minutes ago, Hstead said:

I was hoping you would reply, thank you.  What would you choose between the Gunboat, mini gunboat, or the Operator?  I am hoping I can get my guy to find one Operator somewhere.  Planning on ordering it tomorrow.  Thanks

The gunboat and the operator are both super stable. Operator has the higher moi but I don't think it's by much. Between those two, it really comes down to what you prefer to look down at. 

The mini gunboat doesn't have the same stability as those two but it's  not a slacker either. The mini gunboat is firmer off the face than the other 2. Selection of it may depend on whether you play on slow greens a lot. 

Look at the std weight of each head with the hosel option you want. You're going to want to play with weights. Remember that the putter is conforming to play with no weights in some or all.of the weight holes. It's been through pxg putters that I've found just how much small shifts in weight can have a big impact.

For example, as I was testing the mini gunboat, I had 10g weights in front ports, 20g in ports behind the front ports, and 15g total weight back (5g then 10g in the rear most ports). I was pulling putts a lot through 9 holes. On 10 I put the 20g in front, then 10g, then moved a 10g weight in the front rear port and moved the 5g to the rear most port...basically shifted the CoG forward a touch. Immediately started hitting everything online. 

Let me.know if I can answer anything else. I've putted a lot of their flat sticks and I love what they've done in the putter realm.

To answer your question directly...the operator is phenomenal for me on quicker greens. I've only had the mini gunboat for about 2 weeks. Haven't put it under pressure yet. I'd go operator all day. Just so stable. 

Edited by getitdaily
  • Like 2

On 6/28/2021 at 4:21 PM, rexwrx said:

Blackjack seems great so far. Very muted soft milled carbon type feel off the aluminum face. Very unlike some of the clanky loud PXG putters of prior generations. Removing the front heel weight seems to Balance out the extra weight of the hosel. Sits dead square with no sole plate wobbling open or closed at address. Now to decide if it’s worth investing in a LAGP, Fuji, or BGT Polar shaft upgrade!

BEE05FFE-925C-4EA2-BC46-C9450C410A05.jpeg

4E4B34E2-5833-444A-97CD-7C2F9E9BBEE4.jpeg

Did you end up with an upgraded shaft in it? Curious how you like it it so? I just bought a One & Done with Fuji MC 115 X Firm and waiting on it to arrive. Will post thoughts vs. my Operator once it does! 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, endy said:

Did you end up with an upgraded shaft in it? Curious how you like it it so? I just bought a One & Done with Fuji MC 115 X Firm and waiting on it to arrive. Will post thoughts vs. my Operator once it does! 

Couldn't make it work well enough on course to justify investing in a shaft upgrade. Missed everything left of my intended line no matter how I setup the weights. Busted out my trusty yellow Spider X and putted side-by-side and had no such leftward problems. Onward and backward!

• Like 1

Just now, rexwrx said:

Couldn't make it work well enough on course to justify investing in a shaft upgrade. Missed everything left of my intended line no matter how I setup the weights. Busted out my trusty yellow Spider X and putted side-by-side and had no such leftward problems. Onward and backward!

That’s crazy! I had the same issue with the blackjack. I’ve heard great things on the Fuji MC shafts so far, so I really have my hopes up here lol 

11 minutes ago, rexwrx said:

Yep...that's the rear CoG of the blackjack. 

• 3 weeks later...

Jumped in at the end of the sale and ordered a Mustang plumber’s neck with the skinny pistol grip and weight kit. I like the wide blade look with the flared ends on the back flange. Was liking this one and the Closer but felt like I was able to line up the Mustang easier. 

9 hours ago, dmeeksDC said:

Jumped in at the end of the sale and ordered a Mustang plumber’s neck with the skinny pistol grip and weight kit. I like the wide blade look with the flared ends on the back flange. Was liking this one and the Closer but felt like I was able to line up the Mustang easier. 

Both really good wide blade choices. I found the closer a touch more forgiving but the mustang easier to align. Sold them both tho.

Operator and mini gunboat in the stable. Operator won't leave. Going to demo the new bat attack Friday. 

1 hour ago, Scootre said:

I got fit for a PXG driver a couple days ago and liked the Bat Attack. It got ordered too and found out the price went down another $20, $229. Been trying to find a #7'ish looking putter with a plumber's neck for awhile.  Can't wait to try it. 

I have an appointment to roll the bat attack tomorrow. If it's good then $229 sweetens the pot. Good call out.

• Like 1

On 9/2/2021 at 9:09 AM, getitdaily said:

I have an appointment to roll the bat attack tomorrow. If it's good then $229 sweetens the pot. Good call out.

Will be interested to see how the Bat Attack fares against the Operator. Once the Operator is dialed in, I just don't know if there is anything out there that can unseat it. 

14 hours ago, ttm27 said:

Anyone know if they’re back to using the matte CT Tour shafts?  I bought a one and done in March and the shaft hasn’t flaked or Chipped at all.  So I assume

the one I have is a CT Tour and not TT.  Want to order one for my son now so hoping it’s the same as mine.  

Last I knew they were still using chrome shafts.