I think I got scammed by selling from here as buyer is reporting they did not get the item. What should I do next?

Hi All,

I'm sorry to post another one of these threads but I'm not sure what to do next. I was selling a high value item a few days ago and someone messaged me interested in the item. We go through the price talk and agreed at the price. He sent the payment via paypal and the payment took a week to clear due to high price. When it cleared, I shipped out but I shipped to the location the buyer advised via Text and not the address in paypal. I didn't think anything of it and now realizing, I should have stayed with that address. The buyer advised that was his GF's account and was apologizing for the delay in payment clearing. Anyway, after shipping, the item was received and paypal sends me a message stating item was never received in dispute form. I provided tracking number and information on waiting for payment to clear. I also uploaded the images of text conversation with buyer. I've since emailed the paypal'd gmail account that filed the claim with all this information as well. Now just waiting for a response.

Has anyone encountered this? and if so, how did it turn out / how did you protect yourself? I'm really surprised this happened as I've been selling and buying for years using paypal and golfwrx (as well as ebay and other forums). Another red-flag I just saw is the user just created the account a day before he contacted me about purchasing.. I was looking forward to sell the item so I didn't do my due diligence. Any advice would be appreciated.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Hi All,   Some good news... the "buyer" was unavailable / working and didn't see his phone. He advised that Paypal did that "automatically" for some reason. I'm not sure why or whatever happ

Who is the buyer?  Invite him to this thread. Not expecting him to respond as I think you got scammed as well.  Not piling on but as soon as I read the part about the different address I cringed.  

A couple of things.   First...the dollar amount of the item which was allegedly stolen is important.  It bumps the charge from Misdemeanor Theft, squarely into Felony theft.  It sounds like

Posted Images

Unless you have texts of this person saying they received the items you are probably going to be forced to file a claim with the shipper.  Did you pay extra for insurance and/or signature confirmation?

Sun Mountain 4.5 LS 14-way / Cobra F9 PX HZRDUS Black 65 6.5 / Srixon Z F85 PX HZRDUS Black 75 6.5 / Srixon Z H85 19* MCA Tensei CK Pro White 90 TX / SRIXON Z965 4-PW DG TI X100 / Cleveland RTX-4 50,54,60 DG TI S400 / Cleveland 2016 HB #1

Testing - Srixon Z-Star XV & Cobra Grandsport-35 thanks to GolfWRX, Srixon, and Cobra. 

I’ve sent the info the a moderator and the buyer hasn’t signed on since 2/11.... What I don’t get, is if the PayPal account saw the transaction, and the money cleared, wouldn’t you dispute it if you didn’t initiate it? I did wait a week for payment to clear too.

Buyer is averageGamer.

Btw, thanks for all the insight / advice. Just freaking out about this situation and hope this works out.

Edited by MaitriMike
Just now, MaitriMike said:

I’ve sent the info the a moderator and the buyer hasn’t signed on since 2/11.... What I don’t get, is if the PayPal account saw the transaction, and the money cleared, wouldn’t you dispute it if you didn’t initiate it? I did wait a week for payment to clear too.

Btw, thanks for all the insight / advice. Just freaking out about this situation and hope this works out.

I believe it’s this simple. He pays from his account. Or it could have been his girlfriends. He has you deliver to another address. But bottom line it wasn’t sent to the verified address. Claims it was never received. PayPal refunds. 

If you have all the exchanges/“evidence” PayPal might investigate but since you sent to a different address they’re under no obligation to refund you. 

• Like 1
16 minutes ago, MaitriMike said:

Buyer is averageGamer.

He joined the day that he messaged you asking whether you'd take offers.  And it's his only activity.

That alone would have given me reservation.  I realize everyone is new at one point, but I wouldn't have sold a Skytrak (I'm assuming that's what he purchased) to a member who joined Golfwrx on the day he reaches out to me.

Hope it works out for you.  Hope he didn't scam others (he reached out to someone else for a Skytrak as well).

I don't want to pile on but i have to just a little....Sold a skytrak  to a guy who just joined with no posts and did not send it to a verified address??...........Ok, now that that is out of the way count me as being in your corner......Wouldn't this be considered premeditated fraud...Seems like paypal would want to get to the bottom of something like this.

• Like 1

I've been a victim of this exact scheme. Probably a decade ago selling a pair of jeans on a style forum (feel free to pile on for this admission). If you search a bit, this is a very common scam and rarely does PayPal find in favor of the seller. Because it's been some time and I'm sure PayPal has seen this come up regularly, I'm rooting for you to be successful (and also because I've done business with you and know you to be a stand up guy). 

Hopefully the evidence you have will point PayPal in the right direction. Keep us posted and good luck. 

• Like 1

Oh god.

Ping G410 Plus 10.5°/Alta CB55 r flex, Maltby KE4 TC 5w/Xcaliber SL FW r flex, Maltby KE4 ST-H 3h/Xcaliber HY r flex, Maltby KE4 ST-H 4h/Xcaliber HY r flex, Maltby KE4 Tour TC 5h/Xcaliber Rapid Taper r flex, Maltby KE4 Tour+ 6-G/Xcaliber Rapid Taper r flex, Maltby Tricept 54° and 58°/Xcaliber Rapid Taper r flex, Mizuno Bettinardi C06

How scary is that. Thank goodness you did tracking and insurance. That is one of the biggest mistakes sellers make. 

TaylorMade R1  Motore Speeder 757X
TaylorMade Aeroburner 15* Graphite Design BB6S

TaylorMade SLDR 20* Motore 8.3 Tour Spec X

Cobra MIM Tour Recoil 3-PW F5 110

Cobra 52/58 snakebite Recoil F5 110

TaylorMade Spyder 
Vice Pro+ Lime Green Goodness