Sub70 699u driving iron- get one

I feel like I'm getting away with something.  If you're interested in trying a driving iron but think that $250 is a bit much for this spot in your bag, check out sub 70 699u. There's no way a club this cheap should be this good.   Looks are pretty inoffensive for a club of its type, but there's definitely some offset and topline.  Good stock shaft options (I went with smoke black 6.0 90g, 2 iron loft).  Feel and sound are great.  Impact is a satisfying thump- not clicky cheap cast feeling, but at the same time it's not a mizuno either.  Very easy to flight up or down.  Very satisfied with this one, can't wait to get it out on course. 

Note- they'll send it to you shaft logo up unless otherwise specified.  First order of business was to pull the head and hide the logos. 

Note 2- sub70 has great customer service and communicates excellently and seems willing to build just about whatever you want.   Easily the most responsive golf company I've ever interacted with. 

• Like 3
  • Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I feel like I'm getting away with something.  If you're interested in trying a driving iron but think that $250 is a bit much for this spot in your bag, check out sub 70 699u. There's no way a club th

Glad to hear. I have the 3 on order with the same shaft. Looking forward to hitting it. 

Jay has mentioned they are working on adding left handed stuff. not a ton of difference between the 699 and the utility iron, if you want one.

• 2 weeks later...

I have one.

also @Sub70Golfis great to deal with... I just bought wedges from them... 100% success with sand saves! (Statistics are fun).

my 22 degree 699 is a monster. Perfect club for what I needed. 4 iron replacement, stinger and recovery club... 

As of 1/24/21

9 Callaway Mavrk Sub Zero with RipX

13 Degree Adams Speedline with Aldila Alpha 

18 Degree Adams A12 with Proforce V2

4 Utility Sub70 699u 22 degree Proforce V2

5 iron Sub70 639 CB with S400

6-GW Adams CMB with Project X 6.0

Sub70 286 54

Sub70 JB Low Bounce 58

SeeMore milled Tri-Mallet fit and built at SeeMore 

I have one.....a 4 that Sub70 modified (bent weak to 23*; shortened 1/2") such that it is similar to a G710 5-iron (I play 7-UW). Based on sim testing last week, I hit the club 160 (140 carry) and straight off a tee, making it the right call for longish par 3s and short, tight par 4s. I hit it surprisingly well off the deck and anticipate it will be god for recovery shots.

Sub70 customer service is terrific and I am a satisfied customer. 

I don't see a lefty options. But Sub 70 is skimpy on the left anyway.

Taylormade M3 driver

Mitsubishi Kuro Kage TiNi 70G shaft (cut to 44")

Taylormade M1 5 wood

Lazrus 3 18* Hybrid 

KZG Forged 2-M cavity back 2-6

KZG Forged Blade 7-PW

Lazrus 52/8 and 56/12 wedges

Tour "Percision" [sic] Milled TP-M5 putter

Golf Pride Concept Helix grips

2 hours ago, lefthack said:

I don't see a lefty options. But Sub 70 is skimpy on the left anyway.

Jay has mentioned they are working on adding left handed stuff. not a ton of difference between the 699 and the utility iron, if you want one.

• Like 1

As of 1/24/21

Sub70 286 54

Sub70 JB Low Bounce 58

Sub 70 sure is on my list of irons to hit, especially with the trial program (but I'd likely buy them anyway). Glad to hear they are expanding the lefties.

• Like 1

Taylormade M3 driver

Mitsubishi Kuro Kage TiNi 70G shaft (cut to 44")

Taylormade M1 5 wood

Lazrus 3 18* Hybrid 

KZG Forged 2-M cavity back 2-6

KZG Forged Blade 7-PW

Lazrus 52/8 and 56/12 wedges

Tour "Percision" [sic] Milled TP-M5 putter

Golf Pride Concept Helix grips

I agree.  I have the 699 Pro Utility in a 3. I wanted to do an experiment of getting utility club with a 5 iron shaft to match the shafts in my set (Modus 120). The price point made Sub 70 the perfect option. 

It like everything about it. It looks great, plays great. A nice option for short/tight par 4s off the tee. 

• Like 1

Driver: PING G410 Plus, Fujikura Pro 2.0 Tour Spec 6S
3W: Titleist D917 13.5 @ 15, Fujikura Pro 2.0 Tour Spec 7S
5W: Titleist D917 18 @ 18.75, Fujikura Pro 2.0 Tour Spec 8S
Hybrid: Titleist 816 H2 21 @ 22, Diamana D+ 100 Hybrid
Irons: PING i210 (5-U), Nippon Modus 120S
Wedges: PING Glide (54 SS, 58 WS), PING CFS Wedge
Putter: PING Sigma 2 Arna
Ball: Titleist Pro V1x

It makes sense for them to build out left handed options, they don’t iterate club design much... I’ve forgotten what jay said was coming in lefty, but I know it’s some of their stuff.

As of 1/24/21

Sub70 286 54

Sub70 JB Low Bounce 58

12 hours ago, C_rad said:

Do they ship to canada?

They do, but there was extra cost for shipping and additional duty once it got here - I understand they are working with a company to make this more efficient. I tried to not let the extra cost bother me as it is just the way it works for us in Canada, but it does start to eat away at the cost savings vs a bigger OEM. That said, the customer experience, quality, and performance are all reasons I'm thinking of adding more Sub70 clubs to my bag!

• Like 1
22 minutes ago, BballMike14 said:

They do, but there was extra cost for shipping and additional duty once it got here - I understand they are working with a company to make this more efficient. I tried to not let the extra cost bother me as it is just the way it works for us in Canada, but it does start to eat away at the cost savings vs a bigger OEM. That said, the customer experience, quality, and performance are all reasons I'm thinking of adding more Sub70 clubs to my bag!

They are working to have a distributor in Canada... I’m pretty sure it’s close to being done. Hopefully that helps with the mark up and duty stuff.

• Like 1

As of 1/24/21

Sub70 286 54

Sub70 JB Low Bounce 58