Any of you still hanging onto an older driver because you hit it straight?

I bought my first and only driver when I started playing in 2011.  A 2011 Taylormade Burner.  I upgraded the shaft with a Adila NV in 2012 and have been hitting it 260-280 with a baby draw pretty consistently straight ever since.  

I'm having the hardest time dropping the cash on a new driver when I hit my old one fairly well.  Someone talk me into upgrading!

• Like 1
  • Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

only in this joint do you have someone hitting 275 baby draws and wanting to be talked into dropping money on a new driver. 🤣

Boy, are you on the wrong website.   Why don't you go to jennycraig.com and ask "does anybody else find food unappealing?"

I'm hanging onto an older driver, not because I hit it straight, but because new ones are 749.99 off the rack here lol 

43.5” M1. Doesn’t go nearly as far as my B21, but it’s a driver I’ll never sell. I’ve tried and sold M3, M4, M6, F9, Epic Flash SZ, G410, Original One and Speedzone. Now I’m shopping for G400 Max on eBay. I blow through drivers. I probably need therapy😅

• Haha 4

Big Bertha B21 Driver 9* VeloCore Black 6X

Sim Ti 3W EvenFlow Black 75X

Sim Max 5W EvenFlow Black 75X

M4 7HL EvenFlow Blue 75X

SIM Max 6H EvenFlow Black 85X

G710 7-U Modus 105 X

PM Grind ‘19 Tour Grey 54 & 58

Ping Vault 2.0 B60 Copper

Drivers these days tout that they have higher ball speeds off mishits and the gear effect is less pronounced.  I will say that my ball curves less nowadays but I think it's a combo of head and shaft.  Velocore w/twist face tech, lol.  Im a club ho/junkie and need my fix so I find myself buying the latest and greatest quite often although the numbers have to optimal on trackman before I pull the trigger on anything.   

• Like 1

TM SIM 2, 8* w/Ventus Black 7x

TM SIM 15* w/Ventus Blue 8x

TM Tour Issue Deep Face Ghost Proto TP 2 HB  w/Thump 105x

New Level NLU-01 21* w/KBS Proto 105x

New Level 623-M 5-PW w/MMT 125 TX

54* Miura HB w/KBS 610 S+, 58* Miura w/KBS Tour Black

Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 1

I have been a driver hoe for quite some time now. lol 

In my recent driver adventure, I got the Ping G410, then the M6, then the Sim Max, then the Cobra Speedzone Extreme. All were great. But I came back to the G400 Max. This is my 4th G400 max. lol I keep on telling myself I hate the turbolators but I keep on coming back to it. It just works for me. I guess this time around I am going to really stick to this one. I got lucky that I found a very mint one. 

There was also this one time where I borrowed my buddy's Ping G driver. It worked so well for me that I found my ball in places that I don't usually end up at home course. I bought one right away from Ebay and it was mint. Tried and it was the same. Then I sold it because I thought to myself, it's not the latest model. lol what a dumb move. 

Reading through the comments here, I don't feel that bad anymore with all the things that I have done in the past. Haha. 

Edited by msg
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

@Jhc09, go and demo some drivers at a local store if you're able. If you can't tell the difference, hang onto what you have. If there's a noticeable distance increase, consider buying.

But as the comments above mine are stating, this may not be the best place to ask for a neutral, non-club-ho opinion. 🙂

• Like 1

Ping G410LST, 9, Ventus Blue 6S

Titleist TS2, 15, Hzrdus Smoke Black 70, 6.0

Titleist 818H1, 21 (set to 20), Tensei White Pro 90, S

Ping i210, 4-P (retro spec), DG 120 X

Ping Glide 2.0, 52 SS (bent to 51), 56 SS (bent to 55)

Callaway Jaws MD5, 60.8

Odyssey Triple Track 10 S, 34" / Odyssey SL1, 33.5"

Z Star XV

Last march i bought an old Rapture,subsequently sold the i20...and im reaching good distances and in the middle some days also...its a good smooth combo,just saw a real tired one sell for double what i paid !

• Like 1

2020 18 July mid winterNZ
Ping Rapture 2006 10.5
Nike VrS 3wood
Callaway Razr Edge5 wood

MP100=33 9876 5/mp63
54     RTX2
60     RTX2
ProPlatinum NewportTwo
2002 325gram +8.NewGrip
Dont hesitate to buy one!

Take your current club with you to a fitting and get on a monitor.

Hit some shots with your current driver after you're warmed up with it.

Try some others and see if any of them better what you have by enough that you'd be willing to drop the money.   If not, you just saved some money.

If you think you've found one, hit the current gamer at the end as a sanity check.

• Like 3

I am finally moving off my M3 10.5 with a AD DI 7X Black. Until 2021 I hadn't been able to find anything to beat it or justify beating it. SIM 2 with Ventus Black 6X did just that. Test and compare that's your best bet. If the new stuff doesn't justify the purchase then stick with what works. 

**WITB as of 4/14/21****

Taylormade SIM 2 - 10.5* - Ventus Blus 6X

Taylormade SIM 2 MAX - 15* Ventus Blue 7X

Taylormade SIM 2 MAX Hybrid - 19* Ventus Blue HB 9X

Nike VR TW Blades 3-PW KBS C-Taper Lite 115X/ (Waiting on Miura TC-201 4-PW KBS $-Taper 130X Black / Miura MC-501 3-PW $-Taper 130X)

SM8 DG TI S400 Black Onyx /50F/54D/58D
Golf Pride Tour Velvet Midsize
TaylorMade TP Soto 33.5” with Super Stroke Pistol GTR 2.0 - Side Piece TaylorMade Spider X 33.5"

1 hour ago, BlkNGld said:

Take your current club with you to a fitting and get on a monitor.

Hit some shots with your current driver after you're warmed up with it.

Try some others and see if any of them better what you have by enough that you'd be willing to drop the money.   If not, you just saved some money.

If you think you've found one, hit the current gamer at the end as a sanity check.

This would be the best recommendation for you!

I have built my own sets for some time.  In 2019 was the very first time I had even went for any fitting.  Guy spent well over 2 hours.  We went thru every club in the bag & even the ball I like the most.  In the end, he told me that the only change I would see in new equipment would be the iron distances due to the loft increases.  He gave me a recommendation on what graphite shafts to use if I were to switch over from steel.  I changed those over last year.

Guy only charged me $50 for the entire fitting & gave me a bunch of free stuff to boot!  Just the piece of mind I have from it was well worth the $50.  So you can see why I would recommend this is the way to go.

• Like 1

I played a Taylormade R9 Supertri for about 10 years. Something broke inside the head a couple of years ago, and I replaced it with a Ping G400. Went through a couple of shafts until I started to hit it well, but I have now had the Ping in the bag for a couple of years now. Once I have confidence in a driver, I rarely switch. I have demo'ed the G410, and I would like to try the G425... but I will always give up a little distance to have the confidence that I can keep it on the property. We will see this spring.

• Like 1

Driver & 3 wood: Ping G400

Hybrid: Adams

Irons (4 to U): Ping I200 or Staff FG62 (3 to P)

Wedges (56, 60): Ping Glide 2.0 or Staff FG Tour (52, 56, 60)

Putter: Ping Anser or My Day

Played a 910D3 for 7 years. Along a similar tract with a GBB Epic Subzero, think I could squeak out 5-10 more with a fitting but hit it far enough and the baby cut is solid. Also it doesn't normally go too far left.

Edited by shoot4par

Callaway - Epic Subzero 9* Oban Kiyoshi White 68g 04

TEE - CB Pro Limited 16.5*  Oban Kiyoshi White 74g 04

TEE - CB Pro U 19* Paderson KINETIXX TS Hybrid 80

Miura - Baby Blades 4 - PW KBS Tour Black 120s

Vokey - SM7 52* 56* 60* KBS Tour Black 120s

Ping - PLD Prime Tyne 35"

Grips- Iomic Sticky 2.3 .60

No, you will not find anything better; drivers have pretty much been maxed out in performance since around 2011 or the date of your current driver.  Since you are already hitting your club in the fairway and pretty darn long, you are not going to find anything which consistently outperforms it.  It sounds like a great shaft and head combination for you. 

As an anecdotal example,  I hit my Cobra Bio Cell + (2014) Callaway Alpha (2015), Callaway Big Bertha (2016), Ping G30 (2014 or 2015), Nike Vapor Fly Pro (2015), Ping G400 (2017) all within 5 yards of each other.  The clubs are all essentially the same and I switch them around when the mood strikes.  

It was fun to try new clubs but once the retail price of most drivers crested $500, I gave up. I was fine with buying and trading in clubs below that price but it just aggravates me to pay that much for a single club.

• Like 3

No.. I am hanging on my old drivers because no one else wants to them either... 🤣

I have a R7 Limited (First interchangeable shaft driver which really started my club hoing), R7 Superquad Tour Issued, R9, R9 Supertri, 2 SLDR. Then in current line up:  M1 440 and M5 Tour.. Nike Vapor Flex and Vapor Flex 440. 

I do admit that I am hanging on to that M1 because i was hitting it well just feel more confident with it than M5. 

Edited by mister2cool

M5 Tour 9*, Project X Even Flow White 65 6.0
2017 M1 3W, Project X Even Flow Blue 75 6.0
RBZ Stage 2 18*H, Project X Even Flow Blue 85 6.0
Srixon Z Forged 4-P, DG TI S400
Nike Engage DS 52* DG S400
Nike Engage TS 58* DG S400
Callaway X-Forged 64* DG S400
Putter... Who needs that?

Every year I take a new driver I can demo from my club and my Cobra Fly Z driver to my course I belong to when it is not crowded and hit 5 white balls with the new driver and 5 colored balls with the FlyZ and if I don't see a difference in Distance or dispersion I keep the Fly Z.

I did this with the F9 , the SpeeZone and the Mavrick. 

The Fly Z is still in my bag

I am about to do it with the RadSpeed and the new Epic. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Driver -COBRA FLY-Z 9.5*

4 Wood - PING G400 17.5*

Hybrid  PING G400 22*

Irons - PING G400 5-UW

Wedges - Callaway CB 54* ; Cleveland CBX2 Full Face 58*

Putter - PING Sigma G Kushin 34in 

Ball- Snell- Black

Why do people buy new clothes when current clothing fit & are still useable? Because life evolves & no one wants to see someone still living in the past. Shiny new things!

• Like 2

G400 LST 10*, Tensei CK White 60S

0317 Gen1 17* & 0317X Gen2 19*, MMT 80S

0311 Gen1 4-5 & 0311P Gen2 6-PW, SteelFiber 95S

RTX4 Raw 52* & 58*, Mid, TI S400; HiToe 64*, HiRev 2.0
SC Red X2

Tour B XS (normal cond.) / LD V1x (windy cond.)

- Testing: 0811X+ Proto; Orig One 11.5*; SuperHybrid 17*; 0311XF #3; 2021 TP5x, CS X Triple Track.

- Backups: EFSZ 9* & 15*; TS2 15*; ‘16 M1 3HL; F7 2-3H; 0211; TW-X; IC-601; 716 T-MB; Lucky 777CS; WHP 7CS & CSM 400g; Sigma G Kinloch C.

1 hour ago, shoot4par said:

Played a 910D3 for 7 years. Along a similar tract with a GBB Epic Subzero, think I could squeak out 5-10 more with a fitting but hit it far enough and the baby cut is solid. Also it doesn't normally go to far left.

I had a 910D2 I NEVER should have let go. Straight as could be. I wanted to start chasing more distance and boy did that cost me. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
2 hours ago, PJE said:

No, you will not find anything better; drivers have pretty much been maxed out in performance since around 2011 or the date of your current driver.  Since you are already hitting your club in the fairway and pretty darn long, you are not going to find anything which consistently outperforms it.  It sounds like a great shaft and head combination for you. 

As an anecdotal example,  I hit my Cobra Bio Cell + (2014) Callaway Alpha (2015), Callaway Big Bertha (2016), Ping G30 (2014 or 2015), Nike Vapor Fly Pro (2015), Ping G400 (2017) all within 5 yards of each other.  The clubs are all essentially the same and I switch them around when the mood strikes.  

It was fun to try new clubs but once the retail price of most drivers crested $500, I gave up. I was fine with buying and trading in clubs below that price but it just aggravates me to pay that much for a single club.

This man speaks the truth..

Unless you just want a shiny new toy..stick with your driver.

• Like 1