Any of you still hanging onto an older driver because you hit it straight?

Jhc09

G400 Max has not been ousted by G410 plus, nor PXG 0211 or Proto no matter what shaft they threw in them (even a couple of high $ exotics just for $#!Ts and giggles).

In my Datrek - DG lite II cart bag attached via Top-Lok to my Bag Boy - Quad XL - I'm decidedly brand agnostic:

PING - G400 Max 10.5 - Graphite Design Tour AD DI 5 R

Titleist - TS2 4W - Graphite Design Tour AD DI 6 RS TS2 7W - Alta CB 65 R

Cobra - Baffler 23* - Aldila NV-HL 65 R

PXG - 0211 (2019 version) - 5-PW - MMT 80 S

Cleveland - CBX2 50 / 54 / 58 - Rotex 

L.A.B. Golf - Directed Force 2.1 - KBS Tour - Press No. II 3*

Snell - MTB  Black

For the first time in more than a decade, I got fitted for a driver in 2008 from a selection of seven. Basically, I was moving from Stiff to Regular in my entire bag. Just went to my fourth driver since then.

Three drivers I still have.

• Callaway HyperX Tour 10.5* - 68-gram R.flex shaft
  • RazrFit 9.5* with RIP'D NV 60 gram R-flex shaft.
  • XR16 Pro 10.5* with a Fuji Speeder 665 R-flex 63 gr. shaft.

I have all three because the HyperX Tour was used after fact in testing shaft inserts. And, it's a cool driver that I could only get $70 for on trade.

RazrFit is up for sale... it just never quite worked.

XR16 Pro was great first couple of years, but shaft now too much for me. I may play around with a reshaft - head felt great when I was on.

Also, ancient pros used to say, "Never get rid of a driver or a putter - you might need it later." I would say hang onto your most recent prior driver. Most of the rest end up as clutter.

What's In The Bag (As of April 2023, post-MAX change + new putter)

Driver:  Tour Edge EXS 10.5° (base loft); weights neutral   ||  FWs:  Calla Rogue 4W + 7W

Hybrid:  Calla Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  Calla Mavrik MAX 5i-PW

Wedges*:  Calla MD3: 48°... MD4: 54°, 58° ||  PutterΨSeeMore FGP + SuperStroke 1.0PT, 33" shaft

Ball: 1. Srixon Q-Star Tour / 2. Calla SuperHot (Orange preferred)  ||  Bag: Sun Mountain Three 5 stand bag

* MD4 54°/10 S-Grind replaced MD3 54°/12 W-Grind.

Ψ  Backups:

• Ping Sigma G Tyne (face-balanced) + Evnroll Gravity Grip |
  • Slotline Inertial SL-583F w/ SuperStroke 2.MidSlim (50 gr. weight removed) |

I was still hanging onto my Titleist 905R right up until last year. I had the same thought process as the OP... I could hit a nice little draw about 285 yards 90% of the time with it so why change?

On a whim I went and got fit for a TM Sim and ended up ordering it. Figured I could always return it if I didn't like it. 

Long story short I kept the SIM and I still hit the same nice little draw 90% of the time, but now I'm carrying it 305. New isn't always better, but in my case it most certainly was. 

Edited by Abh159

I still have & actually play a 360ti tour from time to time.

It's still to this day - the absolute longest driver I've ever hit. I can't play my normal draw & it gets me in trouble unless my mind wonders off.

It makes me smile still.....some 20 yrs later though

Edited by animalgolfs

9 Clubs Sunday Bag

UST Mamiya - Lamkin - RXS 

https://forums.golfwrx.com/topic/1840618-witb-731-full-bag/

16 hours ago, pup142 said:

Just my 2 cents. There is no comparison between new Drivers and Drivers that are 10 years old. That is also true with Fairway woods. You find the right combination and it will be a game changer.

No real technology changes..you're buying a shiny new toy. Not that there's anything wrong with that.

But "no comparison" just isn't really true. 

• Like 2

I'm still playing a 2016 M1.  It isn't old, but it's ancient by WRX standards.  I was considering getting fit for a new driver this year, but I think I want some shiny new irons instead.  Especially after seeing MGS' recent test of their last 5 "Most Wanted" drivers, where the M1 placed 2nd, and the differences between 1st and 5th were so marginal as to be essentially nonexistent.

Edited by forrester_fire
  • Like 1

I am hanging onto my older driver because I hit it straight... along with the other 8 I USED to hit straight.

• Like 1

Taylormade 16' M2 9.5º (Tensei 60 Orange R)

Taylormade M1 HL3 17º (Kuro Kage 70 S)

Titleist 910H 21º and 24º (Stock Diamana Kai'li R)

Srixon 745 5-PW (TT DG Lite S300)

Titleist Vokey SM4 50.08F, 54.14F, 58.09S

Titleist SC PP Del Mar 3.5, Odyssey WH Pro 7, Cleveland HB Soft 11.

Royal M Taper 360's

1 hour ago, pup142 said:

For me there was. My 2008 Taylormade Driver and Fairway wood go no where. My XXIO Prime 9 Driver and Fairway wood give me alot more yardage. It has been a game changer so technology does matter for me.

So you had driver A that didn't work for you and driver B was a better fit and worked better. That's great you found something better. However that doesn't change that fact that your "there is no comparison" between tech statement isn't true.

• Like 1

Been a while since I posted, but this is such an interesting topic.  Also been a while since I found a driver that I really liked and felt at least somewhat confident with (not that I haven't tried through fittings and on my own).  I'm still using a 2004/2005 release Mizuno MP 001 (460cc) that I purchased new way back then, a driver that seemed to be well ahead of its time at least in terms of technology.  I'm sure I'm giving up a bit of forgiveness (and possibly distance) by not using a more recent driver release, but this one just sets up so well behind the ball, even when I just plop it down and sole it.  It just wants to go where it is aimed, and It's so much easier to align than many newer drivers since it has the "older" traditional brushed chrome/silver face contrasting with the dark colored head.  Wish the major manufacturers would go back to the brushed chrome/silver face instead of using the black/dark faces so common now.  Maybe someday I'll find something that can replace the MP 001.

My favorite driver of all time was the 2007 TaylorMade Burner TP (10.5 with Graphite Design TP S shaft). Loved that club, could stripe it long and straight all day long. Played it for 4 years until it lost its pop (had a hairline crack at the face and topline weld). Took a while to find a replacement, many clubs came and went till I hit the 2011 PING G20. I special ordered one from Discount Dans (PING G20 10.5 with a square face and a Graphite Design DJ 6s) and it was love at first hit. Felt like my old burner and was just as long and straight.

I have been using the G20 faithfully for the last 10 years. During that time I have tried to replace it with many of the new drivers, but nothing has been able to beat it. Some were longer but not straighter, some were straighter but not as long. So I continued to play the G20.

It wasn't until the 2018 PING G400 MAX came out that anything looked like it could dethrone the G20. I ordered a PING 400 MAX (10.5 with PING TOUR 6s)from TGW and was ready to call it the new KING till I took it to the range. It was definitely more forgiving but I could not control it. I think the face angle looked open to me so I struggled with alignment. I tried to dial it in for 4 months, multiple shafts and settings. I even pulled the shaft from my G20 and tried that to no avail. I really wanted to make the MAX work because I loved the looks of that club and was ready for something new, but no matter what I tried it was not as long and accurate for me as the G20 was. Back to ole faithful.

I had all but given up on replacing the G20 till I decided to give this years new drivers a go. I demoed all the top dogs and one stood out to me as a contender. Another PING driver, the G425 MAX. This time the face looked square to me. After a demo session with both my G20 and the new MAX it was determined the MAX was both longer and straighter than ole faithful. I picked up a 2021 PING G425 MAX 10.5 with MC Tensei Orange Raw AV 65s from my local Edwinn Watts and was off to the the races. After a couple of range sessions and one round I can say it looks like I may have finally found a new driver that will dethrone the G20, but I will keep it around just in case...

Edited by ShortSticks
grammer

On 2/24/2021 at 9:06 AM, Jhc09 said:

I bought my first and only driver when I started playing in 2011.  A 2011 Taylormade Burner.  I upgraded the shaft with a Adila NV in 2012 and have been hitting it 260-280 with a baby draw pretty consistently straight ever since.  

I'm having the hardest time dropping the cash on a new driver when I hit my old one fairly well.  Someone talk me into upgrading!

Well, you drive the ball as well as a lot of scratch players per your comment, but you have a 9.5 handicap.  I would suggest you take the cash that would cover a new driver and get some help with all the shots that need to hit when the ball is laying on the ground.  Maybe start with iron play, then fairway woods and hybrids, followed by pitching, chipping, sand play and putting.  

Your swing must be pretty good but things like ball position, non-flat lies could probably improve.

Hitting the long club from a flat lie with the ball off the ground is not a problem.

Still rocking the G400 Max.  I'm going out today to just hit some balls at my course when it gets over 45 degrees.  I'll give the Epic Flash a try, but I doubt it kicks the PING out.

PING G400 Max 10.5° GD YS Nano Reloaded 6X                                            

TaylorMade SIM2 Max 16.5° 3HL Mitsubishi Diamana Kai'Li 70 X                                                       

Callaway V-Series 19° 5 wood Mitsubishi Diamana Kai'Li 80 S                                                         

PING G410 22°, 26° & 30° Hybrids KBS Steel Hybrid Shaft X                                               

Adams A4 Forged 7-PW Dynamic Gold AMT X100 D4                                                                        

Cleveland CBX 50°, 55° Dynamic Gold S400

Cleveland CBX Full Face 60° Dynamic Gold Tour Spinner

Odyssey 2-Ball Blade w/Triple Trac

Vice Pro Plus Lime

To the best of my understanding driver distance when hitting the sweet spot hasn't changed very much in recent years - that was maxed out a while ago given the restrictions the governing bodies in place. The focus has been on more distance and straighter ball flights when you miss the center of the face. If you're hitting your current driver consistently in the fairway, there might not be much to be gained in moving to a newer one.

• Like 1

Ping G430 LST Driver 10.5* (set @ Flat)  Rogue White 130 MSI 70 X

Callaway '21 Apex UW 17* Ventus Blue 7X
Ping G410 Hybrids 22* & 26* (set @ F- to 21* & 25*) Even Flow Black 85 6.5
Titleist '21 T100S 6-PW Nippon Modus 3 Tour 120S
Titleist Vokey SM10 48.10F, 52.12F, 56.14F, 60.12D, DG Wedge
Bettinardi INOVAI 6.0 CTR 35"

On 2/24/2021 at 11:32 AM, Newgs said:

I have been playing a cobra amp cell from 2012-13. I have bought countless drivers since but this one keeps finding its way back in the bag. Go with what works!

Im playing a Bio Cell + still.  I break the shaft every 2 years and always just put a new one in.  Nothing goes as straight as it!

• Like 2

Driver: Bio Cell + Adila Rogue 70g TX

3 Wood: M3 HZRDS Smoke Black TX

2 Iron: Titleist 712U X100

Irons (3-PW): Cobra AMP Cell Pro X100

Wedges (54-58): Titleist Vokey SM7

Putter: Taylormade Spider X Copper

7 hours ago, aquapig said:

So you had driver A that didn't work for you and driver B was a better fit and worked better. That's great you found something better. However that doesn't change that fact that your "there is no comparison" between tech statement isn't true.

You probably still have your same car from 10 years ago too. There is no comparison of the technology.Yes it is a true statement. Better golf heads, golf shafts.and the golf balls of today make a big.difference for the average golfer.

Edited by pup142