Nippon NS Pro 950GH Iron Shafts

I’m wondering if anyone has any insight into the Nippon NS Pro 950GH shafts, or thoughts/opinions on them. I’m looking at a Srixon Zx7/Zx5 combo set with these shafts. I’ve read some reviews and watched some reviews and in one particular review the reviewer mentioned that the newer version, the 950GH Neo, was created to be an updated version of the original due to the modern iron heads and a lower COG. Does that mean that the original 950GH shafts are outdated, or that they’re not ideal for today’s iron heads? I’ve been playing True Temper XP 95’s for a while now and I want something similar in weight and I like profile of the Nippon shafts being a smooth feeling shaft. I’m a 5-7 handicap, smooth swing, 83-85mph swing speed. Anyone try the 950GH shafts in the Srixon irons or any more recent players-style irons? Any guidance or feedback is greatly appreciated. 

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

@JungleJimbo,   I called up the original Bridgestone loaner e-mail from 2014, and it turns out it was a NS Pro 1050 R-flex shaft that was in the J40 DPCs. (see below) ------------------

Excellent shafts. I had them in my Srixon 765/965 irons and the only reason I moved away from them is because I wanted graphite to help me deal with osteoarthritis issues.    I would still use

Tried out the NS Pro 950GH in a Bridgestone J40.DCB iron test set. Good solid medium iron shots.   A year later, I refitted my Callaway irons with highly similar NS Pro 8950GH shafts. The 89

Posted Images

Great shafts.  I believe the new Neo launches a bit higher than the original.  The original are by no means outdated.  I have the original in a set of PXG 0311 irons, which are players-like irons.  The 950s work great with those heads, and certainly should work great with other players-style irons.  Based upon what you are describing, I think they would work well for you.  I prefer the 950 to XP 95's.  YMMV.

Callaway Epic Max 9* Driver, Fujikura Speeder 665 Evo II TS R
Callaway Epic Flash 5 and 7 Woods, Accra Fx 2.0 200F M4
Callaway Big Bertha ‘19 4 Hybrid, KBS Tour Hybrid Prototype 65 R
Titleist T300 Irons 5-GW, Kuro Kage 105 S
Titleist Vokey SM8 BS SW (54*/14F) and LW (58*/12D), DG Wedge
Scotty Cameron 009-M Putter

Nippon 950GH is a fantastic shaft.  I have them in a set of Z565s and have played them in many previous sets.  I sampled the Neo on one of the Z565 club heads to see if there was a benefit to the newer shaft.  There wasn't (for me).

Ping G410 Plus
Ping G410 3 wood, Cobra F6 Baffler
Callaway XR hybrids

PXG 0211 1st gen irons 
Ping Glide 2.0 Stealth 54/14 and Zing Lob wedges
Odyssey Triple Track 2-Ball putter

I bought a couple of Srixon Z355 irons (4 and 6) with 950 shafts to experiment with several years ago and this led me to buy Z565 irons (which have 980 shafts). All shafts stiff flex.

Difference between the 950 and 980 is the 980's are 3to 5 grams heavier and a slightly higher balance point to better suit the 565 head (supposedly).

I like both shafts with the difference being the 950s have a slightly higher trajectory and spin a touch more. I like the 950 shaft so much that I put one in my 565 6 iron as an experiment and have left it insitu. I don't mind the slightly higher trajectory and it feels a touch more enjoyable to play for me, but very minor feel difference.

These are simply good quality and enduring shafts.

For reference I have spent most of my golfing life playing in my irons 120 -130 gram shafts including Precision Rifle 5.0 & DG R and S300s. Mid single cap, 105mph driver SS with quick transition.

I have enjoyed the drop in shaft weight, I haven't had timing issues with less weight and am a club longer.

Edited by Rapidcat

Cobra F8+ 9° XCaliber 6+ S 45” or XCaliber Tour SL TS 45.5” //  Cobra Fly-Z 14.5° XCaliber FW S 43.25” //  Srixon F45 18° XCaliber FW S 42” //  Srixon Z565 3-PW Nippon N.S. Pro 980GH DST S

Cleveland CBX 50.11 //  Cleveland RTX3 56.14 bent 55.13 //  Nike VR X3X Toe Sweep 58.10  //  Wilson Infinite Windy City //  Titleist Pro V1 

Excellent shafts. I had them in my Srixon 765/965 irons and the only reason I moved away from them is because I wanted graphite to help me deal with osteoarthritis issues. 

I would still use them otherwise. I would love for Nippon to make graphite iron shafts with a similar profile. I didn’t find them weak to flex, I just found them incredibly smooth feeling. Much more so than say the Modus 105

• Like 1

Callaway Rogue 10.5
Callaway BB Alpha 816 16
Srixon Z H45 19 Hybrid
Srixon Z U85 23 Utility
Srixon Z 785/Z-Forged 5 - PW
Cleveland RTX-4 Mid Grind 50 54 58
TaylorMade Spider Tour Red
TaylorMade TP5X

5 hours ago, anth said:

Excellent shafts. I had them in my Srixon 765/965 irons and the only reason I moved away from them is because I wanted graphite to help me deal with osteoarthritis issues. 

I would still use them otherwise. I would love for Nippon to make graphite iron shafts with a similar profile. I didn’t find them weak to flex, I just found them incredibly smooth feeling. Much more so than say the Modus 105

What kind of graphite shafts did you switch to if I may ask? I played with SteelFiber i110cw’s and i95’s before I switched to the XP 95’s and I loved the feel of them. The flight was lower than I liked in my long irons, but the feel was great. 

Edited by dirtbike29

Recoil 95 F4.  I like them.  Feel is very comparable, they fly higher and spin a touch more than the Nippon.  I don’t have data to back that up - it’s just using the eye test.

I wasn’t convinced by them about a month ago as I’ve been having trouble really dialling in the shorter irons.  But I think this is the club head and not the shafts.  When I moved from the Nippon in the 765/965 to the Recoil I put them in some 785/Z Forged.  I’m not hitting these clubs as well as my old set.  I thought it was the Recoil but I now think it’s the difference between the 785 and the Z Forged - they are just different enough that I’m having issues with the shorter clubs.  The Z Forged I think play like true blades - you have to really be on your game.  The 965 were very forgiving for a blade, and they really matched the 765 closely.  So I found that set played like one set.  The Z Forged I think spin and launch slightly differently to the 785 (which I find really playable and fun to hit without being overly demanding).

All this and the osteoarthritis issues and I have called it on my blades career (LOL).  It was great playing the 965 but I’m hoping the ZX7 I have on order will play a little better for me (If they ever arrive!).

Sorry for the long post. I hope you found it useful.

Callaway Rogue 10.5
Callaway BB Alpha 816 16
Srixon Z H45 19 Hybrid
Srixon Z U85 23 Utility
Srixon Z 785/Z-Forged 5 - PW
Cleveland RTX-4 Mid Grind 50 54 58
TaylorMade Spider Tour Red
TaylorMade TP5X

Tried out the NS Pro 950GH in a Bridgestone J40.DCB iron test set. Good solid medium iron shots.

A year later, I refitted my Callaway irons with highly similar NS Pro 8950GH shafts. The 8950 variation were slightly higher launching, and I used the redone irons for several seasons.

• Like 1

What's In The Bag (Summary as of October 2020)

Driver:  Tour Edge EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  Calla Rogue 4W + 7W

Hybrid:  Calla Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  Tour Edge CB Pro Tungsten 4i-9i

Wedges*:  Calla MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter: Ping Sigma G Tyne (face-balanced)

Ball: Calla SuperHot (Orange preferred)  ||  Bag: Sun Mountain Three 5 stand bag

For details see:  Pending (need protocol to embed file list).

* MD4 54°/10 S-Grind being tested as possible SW to replace MD3 54°/12 W-Grind.

I have used both.  The Neo launches a bit lower with a flatter top of the arc.  It also spins slightly less than the original 950gh.  If you need more spin in your irons I would go with the original.  If you need less spin then the Neo or hard step the original.  If you have a quick transition the Neo might work better as well.  I should also mention the Neo feels slightly firmer than the original 950gh.  My swing doesn’t generate a ton of spin so the original works best for me.  But I can play the Neo as well, it’s just doesn’t fit my swing quite as well as the original 950gh.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, ChipNRun said:

Tried out the NS Pro 950GH in a Bridgestone J40.DCB iron test set. Good solid medium iron shots.

A year later, I refitted my Callaway irons with highly similar NS Pro 8950GH shafts. The 8950 variation were slightly higher launching, and I used the redone irons for several seasons.

@ChipNRun: Could I trouble you to Pls double-check that “8950” shaft model you mentioned?

Genuine question/ curious! Thanks 🙏 (as there are sometimes LtdEdition/ Anniversary special releases!) 

I’m guessing it might’ve been the “850” model... or possibly the “950 *HT*” high-trajectory model instead?

(ie I’ve seen 850/ 950/ 1050 shaft models, and heard of 1150... ie roughly 85gr/ 95gr/ 105gr etc  )

https://nipponshaft.com/product/steel_950gh.php

@skraly: Thanks for the comparison of the Neo model vs the Original!

Edited by JungleJimbo

@JungleJimbo,

I called up the original Bridgestone loaner e-mail from 2014, and it turns out it was a NS Pro 1050 R-flex shaft that was in the J40 DPCs. (see below)

------------------------

Your order will ship in 1-3 business days. Club Shaft Value DPC 5 Iron Dynamic Gold SL R300 Flex $125.00 DPC 5 Iron Nippon 1050 GH R Flex $125.00 ....

------------------------

In doing research today, the NS Pro 1050GH is a bit confusing. I found it in a Nippon shaft site, but it appears in none of the GolfWorks component catalogs. Basic specs:

• R1...106 gr / Taper 0.355
  • S1...109.5 gr / Taper 0.355
  • X1...114 gr. / Taper 0.355

This is the one NS Pro "non-Modus" that lacks a parallel tip version.

Now, back to what we know for sure. The NS Pro 1150GH and 8950GH first appear in the 2011 edition of The GolfWorks 2011/Edition 1 catalog, p. 93.

2084909461_nsprotableau11.jpg.f97ba3dd3bcc212f6b7715fc997d0be4.jpg

The 8950GH in R-flex is what I put in my Calla X20 Tours to go lighter. This played as a fairly high launch- low spin shaft, stable in wind but getting pretty good stop due to high descent angle.

The NS Pro 950GH didn't appear in GW until The GolfWorks 2015 / Edition 1, p. 115. The superlight Zelos 7 shaft also makes its debut.

118868182_nsprotableau15.jpg.57eccd8d3eb6a883651f3dd10c94de96.jpg

As stated in the tableau, the 8950 has a slightly higher launch than the 950. Both are made from the same special steel alloy.

As of 2021... the NS Pro 8950GH shafts are still available online from The GolfWorks, but are no longer listed on the Nippon/NS Pro web site.

15 hours ago, JungleJimbo said:

I’m guessing it might’ve been the “850” model... or possibly the “950 *HT*” high-trajectory model instead?

Yes, the current Nippon/NS website lists the 850GH and the 950HT. But, the 850GH pair only weighs 87 grams in R and 91 grams in S; so, it's not a follow-on to the 8950

Possibly the NS Pro 1050GH is some special-order item. It appears on the Nippon/NS web site, but not in GolfWorks components system.

Edited by ChipNRun
  • Like 2

Hybrid:  Calla Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  Tour Edge CB Pro Tungsten 4i-9i

Wedges*:  Calla MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter: Ping Sigma G Tyne (face-balanced)

Ball: Calla SuperHot (Orange preferred)  ||  Bag: Sun Mountain Three 5 stand bag

3 minutes ago, ChipNRun said:

@JungleJimbo,

I called up the original Bridgestone loaner e-mail from 2014, and it turns out it was a NS Pro 1050 R-flex shaft that was in the J40 DPCs. (see below)

------------------------

Your order will ship in 1-3 business days. Club Shaft Value DPC 5 Iron Dynamic Gold SL R300 Flex $125.00 DPC 5 Iron Nippon 1050 GH R Flex $125.00 ....

------------------------

In doing research today, the NS Pro 1050GH is a bit confusing. I found it in a Nippon shaft site, but it appears in none of the GolfWorks component catalogs. Basic specs:

• R1...106 gr / Taper 0.355
  • S1...109.5 gr / Taper 0.355
  • X1...114 gr. / Taper 0.355

This is the one NS Pro "non-Modus" that lacks a parallel tip version.

Now, back to what we know for sure. The NS Pro 1150GH and 8950GH first appear in the 2011 edition of The GolfWorks 2011/Edition 1 catalog, p. 93.

2084909461_nsprotableau11.jpg.f97ba3dd3bcc212f6b7715fc997d0be4.jpg

The 8950GH in R-flex is what I put in my Calla X20 Tours to go lighter. This played as a fairly high launch- low spin shaft, stable in wind but getting pretty good stop due to high descent angle.

The NS Pro 950GH didn't appear in GW until The GolfWorks 2015 / Edition 1, p. 115. The superlight Zelos 7 shaft also makes its debut.

118868182_nsprotableau15.jpg.57eccd8d3eb6a883651f3dd10c94de96.jpg

As stated in the tableau, the 8950 has a slightly higher launch than the 950. Both are made from the same special steel alloy.

As of 2021... the NS Pro 8950GH shafts are still available online from The GolfWorks, but is no longer listed on the Nippon/NS Pro web site.

Yes, the current Nippon/NS website lists the 850GH and the 950HT. But, the 850GH pair only weighs 87 grams in R and 91 grams in S; so, it's not a follow-on to the 8950

Possibly the NS Pro 1050GH is some special-order item. It appears on the Nippon/NS web site, but not in GolfWorks components system. 

@ChipNRun: thanks 🙏 for your efforts with the reply! Very good info.

On 2/24/2021 at 3:53 PM, dirtbike29 said:

I’ve read some reviews and watched some reviews and in one particular review the reviewer mentioned that the newer version, the 950GH Neo, was created to be an updated version of the original due to the modern iron heads and a lower COG. Does that mean that the original 950GH shafts are outdated, or that they’re not ideal for today’s iron heads?

I'm the one who played the NS Pro 8950GH shafts, which are quite similar to the 950GH. As far as the classic 950GH vs. 950GH Neo, I would suggest this involves finetuning, within the NS Pro familiy that is already fine-tuned.

Likely Nippon believes the 950GH Neo will be a better fit for the long-term niche. As per a Matt Saternus review, Nippon has... 

"stiffened both the tip section and the mid section to stabilize heavier, modern club heads while slightly boosting spin and launch."

This involves incremental rather than major change. Those with the classic 950s might keep them, while newbies could consider an upgrade.

As per GolfWRX doctrine, a fitting could best tell if the classic 950GH will fit your game.

Edited by ChipNRun
  • Like 1

Not a direct comparison to the Srixon irons but I demoed the Callaway 21 APEX and the 950 neo was hands down better for me than the 95 Elevates, I found the feeling so much smoother and launch much easier.

I have been playing new Xcaliber RT graphite in gen 3 PXG 0311T and the Nippon with the callaway head blew them away both in distance and accurracy. 

Posted (edited)

All great info, I really appreciate the feedback. This weekend I had the chance to hit a 950GH shaft and the feel is great...they’re just how I remembered them. And as strange as it may be, the two best feeling iron shafts for me are the 950GH and the SteelFiber i95. I love them both. I just don’t know what my numbers are with both shafts. I know my numbers with the TT XP-95 shafts are good. I need to do a fitting but I can’t do one for a while and I’m ready for a new set of irons now!!

...I will wait for that fitting, until then I’ll keep reading, I love GolfWRX. Anyone have any input on the SteelFiber shafts? I’ve always heard that they launch lower. 

Edited by dirtbike29
  • Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...
On 3/1/2021 at 7:57 PM, dirtbike29 said:

All great info, I really appreciate the feedback. This weekend I had the chance to hit a 950GH shaft and the feel is great...they’re just how I remembered them. And as strange as it may be, the two best feeling iron shafts for me are the 950GH and the SteelFiber i95. I love them both. I just don’t know what my numbers are with both shafts. I know my numbers with the TT XP-95 shafts are good. I need to do a fitting but I can’t do one for a while and I’m ready for a new set of irons now!!

...I will wait for that fitting, until then I’ll keep reading, I love GolfWRX. Anyone have any input on the SteelFiber shafts? I’ve always heard that they launch lower. 

I’m curious if you were able to get fit yet? I literally just posted this question on the Srixon ZX5/zx7 forum. I went into a driver fitting, was warming up with my 8 iron and my fitter asked if I always hit the ball that low. Obviously did not get fit in these irons by him. I’m a 8 handicap slow/smooth swing speed as well and currently gaming I210’s . He gave me the Srixon ZX5 with 950GH shaft and I was blown away. I’ve never hit a ball that high! Clubhead speed went up 3mph, ball speed 5mph, carry 10 more yards and ball flight 17 feet higher.

sorry for the long post , just excited to know you experienced the same and can’t wait to here what you go with.

On 3/22/2021 at 8:30 PM, Joe Jordan said:

I’m curious if you were able to get fit yet? I literally just posted this question on the Srixon ZX5/zx7 forum. I went into a driver fitting, was warming up with my 8 iron and my fitter asked if I always hit the ball that low. Obviously did not get fit in these irons by him. I’m a 8 handicap slow/smooth swing speed as well and currently gaming I210’s . He gave me the Srixon ZX5 with 950GH shaft and I was blown away. I’ve never hit a ball that high! Clubhead speed went up 3mph, ball speed 5mph, carry 10 more yards and ball flight 17 feet higher.

sorry for the long post , just excited to know you experienced the same and can’t wait to here what you go with.

I was able to go get fitted at CC outside of New Orleans a few weeks ago. For me it was definitely the 950gh shafts. The numbers were overall better and they feel wonderful. The SteelFiber i95 numbers were ok but the launch and spin were a little low, and the 950’s just felt better! The heads were interesting, I hit the Zx7 / Zx5 / 921 Tour / i210 irons. I did not hit the Zx7’s good at all, I think some of it had to do with operator error, the feel was ok but the 921’s felt amazing. The i210’s felt amazing too and the Zx5’s weren’t far off at all they felt great to me. The i210’s went 3 yards further than the 921’s on average and the Zx5’s went 2 yards further than the i210’s, but the dispersion was slightly better with the 921’s. I ended up going with the 921’s and I really didn’t expect that walking in there. 

What did you think of the Zx5’s compared to i210’s considering you’re currently playing the i210’s? I’m still waiting on the components to come in so they can build and ship it, and I swear I’m almost having buyer’s remorse about the Zx5’s! 

20 hours ago, dirtbike29 said:

I was able to go get fitted at CC outside of New Orleans a few weeks ago. For me it was definitely the 950gh shafts. The numbers were overall better and they feel wonderful. The SteelFiber i95 numbers were ok but the launch and spin were a little low, and the 950’s just felt better! The heads were interesting, I hit the Zx7 / Zx5 / 921 Tour / i210 irons. I did not hit the Zx7’s good at all, I think some of it had to do with operator error, the feel was ok but the 921’s felt amazing. The i210’s felt amazing too and the Zx5’s weren’t far off at all they felt great to me. The i210’s went 3 yards further than the 921’s on average and the Zx5’s went 2 yards further than the i210’s, but the dispersion was slightly better with the 921’s. I ended up going with the 921’s and I really didn’t expect that walking in there. 

What did you think of the Zx5’s compared to i210’s considering you’re currently playing the i210’s? I’m still waiting on the components to come in so they can build and ship it, and I swear I’m almost having buyer’s remorse about the Zx5’s! 

Lol...I hear ya! Don’t get me wrong I210 are great clubs. Just don’t know that there right for me, they feel great but I’m not sure I’ve got that good of a swing for them. The ZX5’s just seemed effortless and that could be bc it was the best combo for me 🤷‍♂️. I’m sure your going to be happy with the 921’s!!

On 3/25/2021 at 10:29 PM, Joe Jordan said:

Lol...I hear ya! Don’t get me wrong I210 are great clubs. Just don’t know that there right for me, they feel great but I’m not sure I’ve got that good of a swing for them. The ZX5’s just seemed effortless and that could be bc it was the best combo for me 🤷‍♂️. I’m sure your going to be happy with the 921’s!!

That’s good to hear. I’m fascinated by the Zx5’s and I’m still second guessing myself. It looks like my 921 Tours will be in April 8 so I’m going to wait and get them and give them a fair shot and see how they operate. One thing I’ve been thinking about since getting fit is the difference between the 921 Tours compared to the i210’s and Zx5’s. I would put the i210’s and Zx5’s in the same category, players distance irons with a little bit more forgiveness than the 921 Tours. One thing I imagine I’ve become accustomed to with my i200 irons is that forgiveness in feel with off-center shots. Off-center shots still feel soft, whereas with the 921 Tours the off-center shots are just more noticeable. I used to play blades, Mizuno MP-32’s and they literally forced me to hit the center of the face. And I like the idea of that, making me a better ball striker. But I also like that softer feeling of an off-center shot. So my goal when I get the 921 Tours is to find out what I like more — a little less forgiveness to help me more consistently find the center of the face, or a little more forgiveness so off-center shots still feel pretty solid. 

What do you think about the feel of the Zx5’s as opposed to the i210’s??