Srixon ZX7 Iron Review

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I went in to test 4 new models a month or so ago and Srixon was not on the list.  Fitter handed it to me, passed the eye test and after hitting them it was pretty much over.  4-PW - Nippon 105 Stiff (

Just received my ZX7s yesterday and haven’t hit them even though is was 72 yesterday and 64 today; work sucks. Anyway, I’m playing Saturday and can’t wait.

Yeah my fitter basically said no one comes in to try the Srixon but everyone leaves buying them....

I just got my combo set of ZX5(4/5/6) and ZX7 (7-PW) shafted with Steelfiber 95 stiff.  Only had them at the range and not on the course but I am blown away with feel, looks and distance.  Yes even though the 7 iron is 32 degrees I am hitting it further than my 30 degree 7 iron.  Must be the shaft?  In any event I cant wait to get them on the course later this week.  Also, I recently demoed the ZX5 Driver for 2 weeks on course through Srixon's excellent demo program.  Great driver!  Not in the bag yet until I have a chance to compare to the ZX7 and the new Cally LS but Srixon is putting out some great stuff!

• Like 2
10 minutes ago, Lobber said:

I just got my combo set of ZX5(4/5/6) and ZX7 (7-PW) shafted with Steelfiber 95 stiff.  Only had them at the range and not on the course but I am blown away with feel, looks and distance.  Yes even though the 7 iron is 32 degrees I am hitting it further than my 30 degree 7 iron.  Must be the shaft?  In any event I cant wait to get them on the course later this week.  Also, I recently demoed the ZX5 Driver for 2 weeks on course through Srixon's excellent demo program.  Great driver!  Not in the bag yet until I have a chance to compare to the ZX7 and the new Cally LS but Srixon is putting out some great stuff!

Good luck hitting them. I can't wait to get mine Sat and I'm headed straight to the course to play. First time I'll hit mine will be warming up on range. 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Cakalacman said:

Just wanted to share my experience tonight on the ZX7. I've seen a few guys ask that had not hit them yet so I wanted to try and give my .02 since I came here for a lot of info in regards to Mizuno and Srixon before going to be fitted. I hit the MMC and the ZX7. I hit them both with the Nippon 120 Modus shaft. Both when struck good feel amazing. Very soft and really fly well. I hit the ZX7 waaaaay better than the other clubs. Others being the JPX Pro 921, MP20 HMB, MMC. I hit 10 balls with the Srixon and all 10 were dead square in the middle of the face. I hit the others and was toward the hosel on a few and thin on a few others. Def didn't get the forgiveness I did with the ZX7. I even hit the ZX5 and didn't strike it as pure. So I hit about 45-50 balls in between hitting the ZX7. At the end I hit the MMC and the ZX7 to finish. So the 7 was the first and last club I hit. After 45-50 balls in between with the other I pured 20 straight with the ZX7. My mind was made up. The club is phenomenal. I've never even been interested in a Srixon club before until I started researching on here and YouTube watching reviews.  For a good comparison....The MMC was the next best club I hit and the average miss was right which is where I miss and it was 14.5yds. With the ZX7 it was 2.6yds the first time and 4.6 yds the second time. So I averaged about 3yds right on my misses and was a club longer. In fairness the others are lofted different so that's a wash to me on the yardage. The dispersion on these sticks are on the money. I will be bagging these clubs. It was a resounding YES for me. Hope this helps guys. FWIW,  I am a 12 handicap and wouldn't say I hit my irons perfect so I don't consider myself a "pure" ball striker that can hit anything. 

Great review!  I'm also about a 12 handicap and looking to combo the ZX5 and 7 but can't decide where to split the set. I will only want 5-PW as a 24/25° is the lowest lofted iron I want in the bag. Was initially thinking ZX5 5-7, ZX7 8-PW but now leaning more towards ZX5 5-6 & ZX7 7-PW. What setup did you go with? 

• Like 2

Cobra King F9  Driver 10.5° Atmos Blue 6 stiff
17° Callaway X Hot 4 wood
20.5°& 23° Cleveland DST Launcher hybrids
Taylormade R7TP 4-PW irons
Cleveland RTX 2 52°/10°, RTX 3 58°/9°
Ping Anser Sigma 2 putter

@kiwihacker I did complete set ZX7. The 4-7 are my most consistent hit clubs so I just kept the whole set the same. To me at address the 5 and the 7 look the same. I couldn't see a big diff that I remember so that's a good thing for a combo set. You will enjoy them and be surprised at how graceful they are on mishits. When we put the numbers up and my dispersion was 4.6'R I was sold. I didn't even look at the monitor while I hit them. I just hit the balls then looked.  

Edited by Cakalacman
  • Like 1
12 minutes ago, Cakalacman said:

@kiwihacker I did complete set ZX7. The 4-7 are my most consistent hit clubs so I just kept the whole set the same. To me at address the 5 and the 7 look the same. I couldn't see a big diff that I remember so that's a good thing for a combo set. You will enjoy them and be surprised at how graceful they are on mishits. When we put the numbers up and my dispersion was 4.6'R I was sold. I didn't even look at the monitor while I hit them. I just hit the balls then looked.  

Thanks, good to know. 

• Like 1

Cobra King F9  Driver 10.5° Atmos Blue 6 stiff
17° Callaway X Hot 4 wood
20.5°& 23° Cleveland DST Launcher hybrids
Taylormade R7TP 4-PW irons
Cleveland RTX 2 52°/10°, RTX 3 58°/9°
Ping Anser Sigma 2 putter

13 hours ago, OhTiger said:

Can't wait to get mine!   5-PW with 6.5 Project x's 1" over. Order placed about 1.5 weeks ago and waiting on a RAD Hybrid and SIM2 Max 3 wood, Golf season is just around the corner.

I can't imagine you not loving them. This club won't get the notoriety the other big brands will get, but every person and I  mean EVERY person that actually takes the time to hit them and gives them a fair chance may not buy them but will agree they are badass and feel amazing. 

• Like 1
6 minutes ago, Cakalacman said:

I can't imagine you not loving them. This club won't get the notoriety the other big brands will get, but every person and I  mean EVERY person that actually takes the time to hit them and gives them a fair chance may not buy them but will agree they are badass and feel amazing. 

Hearing this same sentiment over and over again, coming from 2017 P770's and looking forward to something new to look at.

• Like 1
14 minutes ago, Cakalacman said:

+1

When I got fitted a month ago I had 0 intentions of trying Srixons. Fitter had me try them towards the end and couldnt be happier. If not I never would have game them a chance 

• Like 1
7 minutes ago, TrueWRX said:

+1

When I got fitted a month ago I had 0 intentions of trying Srixons. Fitter had me try them towards the end and couldnt be happier. If not I never would have game them a chance 

That would have been my experience. The local shop here deals with more big name brands. As a matter of fact...they don't even have a set on the wall. They only have the fitting heads and shafts and I had to ask about them if they could fit me with them. I'm almost sure they told me they had not sold any of them. I think after my exp last  night that that changed their mind and they are going to add that to their recommendations going forward if somebody isn't locked into a brand. In all reality if it had not been from the forums here that started it and then watching the guys on YouTube review it on their monitors and rave about it, I'd have never tried it because Srixon just didn't seem like a club I wanted to try. I think letting Endo start forging them again is a huge improvement and likely a big reason for the club. Glad you like yours...I can't wait to hit mine for the first time in a round Saturday and Sunday.  

• Like 2

Saw them for the first time yesterday. They certainly pass the eye test! Really good looking club.

Edited by hammergolf
  • Like 1

TaylorMade Sim Max 9* @ 7* Aldila Quaranta Reg
Ping G410 3wd @ Flat setting Grafalloy Pro lite 3.5 Reg
Ping G410 7wd @ Flat setting Graffaloy Pro Lite 3.5 Reg
Ping G410 22 hybrid @ 21 flat Alta CB Reg
Ping g25 5-PW Steelfiber i95 Reg
Cleveland Zipcore Raw 50* Mid, 54* Full @ 55, 58* Low @ 60 Hi Rev 2.0 Reg
Evnroll TR8 33"

3 hours ago, TrueWRX said:

+1

My exact experience as well. After hitting every other player's CB I saw the head in a fitting cart and had a set on order an hour later. My local shop has now sold close to 10 sets of ZX7s now.

• Like 2

[b]WITB[/b]
Cobra F9 - Rogue White 130 6X 
Cobra F8 3-4 - Rogue White 130 8X
Cobra F9 19* - Tensei Pro White 90X
Srixon ZX7 4-PW - PX LZ 6.5

Titleist SM7 Black 50,54,58
TM Spider Tour Black

These are becoming the 2021 version of eye 2’s

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Ping G400 Max Fuji Ventus Red 6x

Ping G400 5w 16.5* Blueboard 73x 

Cally Apex '16 3h 20* KK Silver 80x

Cally Apex '16 4h 23* KK Silver 80x

Srixon ZX7 5i  AD DI di 95x 

Srixon ZX7 6 - PW Nippon Modus 3 Tour 120s
Vokey SM2 50*, SM2 TVD M 56* & 60*, SM2 64.07

Scotty GoLo 7

24 minutes ago, cardoustie said:

These are becoming the 2021 version of eye 2’s

One of the all time best and still a good iron.

• Like 1

Driver: Titleist TS3 - Tensi AV Blue 65x

3 Wood:  Titleist TS3 - Fuji Atmos Red 70x

Hybrid:  Titleist TSI2 - HZDRUS Smoke RDX 80s

Hybrid: Titleist TSI2 - HZDRUS Smoke RDX 90s

Irons:  Srixon ZX7 5-PW  - Modus 3 105 S (HS+1)

Wedges: Cleveland RTX Zipcore

Putter: Scotty Special Select Newport

Was able to get in a quick 9 after work yesterday. These are the best irons I have ever hit (been a Mizuno guy for a while). I thought I loved them during my indoor fitting but they are so much better when you play them on turf. They cut through the ground so well when you catch it a little fat and the ball feels so good off the face. 

• Like 3
12 minutes ago, sadclevelandsports said:

Not to be a killjoy, but are these really that different than the 785's? I own the 785's and have hit the zx7's, numbers are the same and feel essentially the same in my humble opinion.

They seem to be a little more of a throwback to the original 745s (shape and sole). I was wasn't a fan of the 765 changes, and not to much of the 785's. But these could replace my 745s. There are a lot of similarities.

Not saying the 785's aren't great clubs, just never suited my eye enough to kick out my 745s.

• Like 2

[never mind]

Edited by nsxguy

Want more posters to read and reply ? "[EMBRACE] THE LINE BREAK"

Callaway Epic Flash SZ Triple Diamond 9.0 Tour AD TP-6 Stiff

Ping G400 hybrid, 19*, 70 gr Stock Stiff

Ping G20, 5-PW, DGS300

Ping Glide Forged, 48, 52, 60, DGS300

Vokey SM8 56/08 (Thanks WRX !!!)

Seemore MT7 Face Balanced (Today)

Chrome Soft Truvis Yellow/Black

23 minutes ago, sadclevelandsports said:

Not to be a killjoy, but are these really that different than the 785's? I own the 785's and have hit the zx7's, numbers are the same and feel essentially the same in my humble opinion.

Performance-wise, probably not for a majority of people. Basically boils down to aesthetics and personal preference. 

Ping G425 LST 9* Fujikura Ventus Black 7X 
Ping G425 LST 14.5* Fujikura Ventus Black 8X
Ping G425 19* Fujikura Ventus Black 10TX 
Srixon Z Forged 4-GW Steelfiber i95  
Cleveland ZipCore 54/58 DG TI Spinner 
PXG Gen 2 Operator Stability Tour 
ProV1X Left Dash / Tour BX

14 minutes ago, gripandrip said:

They seem to be a little more of a throwback to the original 745s (shape and sole). I was wasn't a fan of the 765 changes, and not to much of the 785's. But these could replace my 745s. There are a lot of similarities.

Not saying the 785's aren't great clubs, just never suited my eye enough to kick out my 745s.

I'll back this comment up .. never even considered the 765s or 785s .. but these have my attention .. won't ever sell my 745s though!

• Like 1
31 minutes ago, gripandrip said:

Fair enough, they certainly look nice. Srixon definitely deserve a lot more attention, though I feel like the performance improvements were incremental from last generation (if improved at all). 

1 hour ago, llaw999 said:

Trying to decide between ZX7 and MP20 MMC. You guys definitely swaying me towards Srixon.

I noticed a lot of people mentioning ZX7 being longer. I wonder if it’s because of lower spin? How is the stopping power?

Tested both in fitting. I had already hit the ZX7s when I tried the MMC. After I poured two in a row the fitter said, “nope, not this one.” I was 10 yards shorter with negligible increase in spin. 

I’ve had no issues with stopping these but I’ve only played 9 and the greens were very soft. Playing some of the harder/faster greens in the area tomorrow so maybe that changes.

• Like 2