Srixon ZX7 Iron Review

Cakalacman

Tried the ZX7's against my 785's on two seperate days with a monitor and pro v's.

Feel was identical, distance was a wash for me, both spin very similar, dispersion was very good with both. Think I will keep the 785's for now, maybe look for a change next  season.  

• Like 2

Play Golf.....Play Blades......Play Something Else.....Just Go Play.....

4 HC

On 2/24/2021 at 6:50 PM, kiwihacker said:

Great review!  I'm also about a 12 handicap and looking to combo the ZX5 and 7 but can't decide where to split the set. I will only want 5-PW as a 24/25° is the lowest lofted iron I want in the bag. Was initially thinking ZX5 5-7, ZX7 8-PW but now leaning more towards ZX5 5-6 & ZX7 7-PW. What setup did you go with? 

Break the combo set at the 6 (ZX5 5-6 & ZX7 7-PW). You won't regret it.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

IG Handle: @tarheelnation3

What's in the bag:

Driver: Callaway AI Smoke Triple Diamond w/ Ventus Velocore+ Blue 6s

Fairway Wood: Taylormade Stealth 2+ 3 wood w/ Ventus Velocore Red 7s

Hybrid/Utility Wood: Taylormade Stealth+ 5 wood w/ Ventus Velocore Red 7s

Hybrid/Utility Wood: Tour Issued Callaway Paradym 7 wood w/ Speeder 757 Evolution VII

Irons: Taylormade P790 Copper w/ Nippon Modus 120 Shafts

Wedges: Cleveland RTX 6 ZipCore Raw 50/55/60 w/ Nippon Modus 120

Putters: Scotty Cameron 009 Aloha (and many others)

2 hours ago, jaggolfer1 said:

Tested both in fitting. I had already hit the ZX7s when I tried the MMC. After I poured two in a row the fitter said, “nope, not this one.” I was 10 yards shorter with negligible increase in spin. 

I’ve had no issues with stopping these but I’ve only played 9 and the greens were very soft. Playing some of the harder/faster greens in the area tomorrow so maybe that changes.

That's interesting because I think the MMC's are identical lofts with the ZX7. 

Cobra King F9  Driver 10.5° Atmos Blue 6 stiff
17° Callaway X Hot 4 wood
20.5°& 23° Cleveland DST Launcher hybrids
Srixon ZX5 5 - PW Modus 105 Regular 

Cleveland CBX Zipcore 48°/9° & 52°/11°, RTX 3 58°/9°
Ping Anser Sigma 2 putter

16 minutes ago, Tarheelnation3 said:

That's definitely the way I am leaning. Ignoring the number on the club head I think I definitely want more help with a 24° club, 27° club?  It wouldn't hurt. So the decision is whether to split at the 31°/32° club or the 35° club. 

13 hours ago, Tarheelnation3 said:

That is what I have had on order since 2/4.  Should fit my game well.  I currently break my Z945 at the 5i for the Z545.

Driver- Titleist TsR2 with Graphite Design Tour AD

4w - Titleist Tsi2 with Tensei Raw Blue shaft

19 Hy - Titleist 818 H1 with Atmos Tour Spec

23 Hy - Titleist 818 with Graphite Design Tour AD-DI shaft

5i-PW - Bridgestone J15 CB with Recoil F4 110 shafts

50,54,and 58 Wilson Staff wedges with SF shafts

Ping Prime Tyne 4 PSD

33 minutes ago, Pete Dye Rules said:

Really thinking hard about trading my mp20 mmc’s for the zx7’s. Concerned about the spin on the srixons. Are they not notoriously low spin?

I found the spin numbers to be almost identical between the MMCs and ZX7s. More ball speed in the Srixons.

D - TSR3 | Ventus TR Blue 6X

3W - Stealth+ | Ventus Blue 7X

5W - TSR2 | AD DI 8X

4H - TSR2 | AD DI 9X

5-PW - MP-223 | PX LZ 6.5

50/55/60 - MG4 | DG TI S400

P - Studio Stainless NP2 350g

B - ProV1x

B - Linksmaster

1 hour ago, Pete Dye Rules said:

Really thinking hard about trading my mp20 mmc’s for the zx7’s. Concerned about the spin on the srixons. Are they not notoriously low spin?

Lofts are also different.  Making a switch to the ZX7s from MP-59 and lofts are 2* stronger in ZX7.  Going to have them weakened a degree just to better fit gapping needs.

1 hour ago, ddherman said:

Lofts are also different.  Making a switch to the ZX7s from MP-59 and lofts are 2* stronger in ZX7.  Going to have them weakened a degree just to better fit gapping needs.

The MMCs and ZX7s have identical lofts.

• Like 1

D - TSR3 | Ventus TR Blue 6X

3W - Stealth+ | Ventus Blue 7X

5W - TSR2 | AD DI 8X

4H - TSR2 | AD DI 9X

5-PW - MP-223 | PX LZ 6.5

50/55/60 - MG4 | DG TI S400

P - Studio Stainless NP2 350g

B - ProV1x

B - Linksmaster

2 hours ago, ddherman said:

You’re correct I didn’t look them up but my old MP59s are 2* weaker.  Thought most of the mizunos stayed with standard lofts but I was wrong.

Yes even Mizuno have given in to the dreaded loft creep. Having said that I like the fact that both the MMC's and the ZX7's still end up with a 46° PW not the 43°-44° you see in so many other sets now. 

MP59/MMC

24/22

27/25

30/28

34/32

38/36

42/41

46/46

4 hours ago, Big Daddy Wags said:

After my first 2 swings, I turned to him and said "this is the one".  Turns out it was the ZX7s! 

I get the feeling Srixon might be quoting you in their marketing campaigns ! 😉

• Haha 3

In my Datrek - DG lite II cart bag attached via Top-Lok to my Bag Boy - Quad XL - I'm decidedly brand agnostic:

PING - G400 Max 10.5 - Graphite Design Tour AD DI 5 R

Titleist - TS2 4W - Graphite Design Tour AD DI 6 RS TS2 7W - Alta CB 65 R

Cobra - Baffler 23* - Aldila NV-HL 65 R

PXG - 0211 (2019 version) - 5-PW - MMT 80 S

Cleveland - CBX2 50 / 54 / 58 - Rotex 

L.A.B. Golf - Directed Force 2.1 - KBS Tour - Press No. II 3*

Snell - MTB  Black

On 2/26/2021 at 2:15 PM, llaw999 said:

Think I’ll be ordering a set. Question is whether to combo the zx5 4 iron or the zx 4 utility. 🧐

I just ordered a combo set.  ZX5 5-7 and ZX7 8-AW.  I went with a 4 ZX Utility.  I tried a buddy's ZX5 4 iron and hit it great.  At the store I got to try the ZX Utility and loved it.  Both the regular iron and utility felt great, but I think that the utility will be a little better out of the rough or those times I want a long running chip (which I used to use my Hogan 4 hybrid for).  A bit more forgiveness, too. 

• Like 1

Played my first two rounds with mine this weekend. Picked them up at 10:00 Saturday morning...hit the 5i & 7i on the range. Was literally taking the wrapper off the handles as I needed them on the course to hit them the first time. Liked them so far. They are going to force me to be a better ball striker and I'm glad for that. You do get punished for misses but it's usually distance not left or right. At least for me that's the case. I'm a 12 hcp. Shot 85 yesterday and 76 today. I think you guys will enjoy these sticks when you play them. 

Edited by Cakalacman
  • Like 3

16 minutes ago, Cakalacman said:

Played my first two rounds with mine this weekend. Picked them up at 10:00 Saturday morning...hit the 5i & 7i on the range. Was literally taking the wrapper off the handles as I needed them on the course to hit them the first time. Liked them so far. They are going to force me to be a better ball striker and I'm glad for that. You do get punished for misses but it's usually distance not left or right. At least for me that's the case. I'm a 12 hcp. Shot 85 yesterday and 76 today. I think you guys will enjoy these sticks when you play them. 

85 and 76 is great scoring for a 12 handicap. Must have hit a lot of greens for 76 or the chipping and putting was hot! 🙂

• Like 1

1 minute ago, kiwihacker said:

85 and 76 is great scoring for a 12 handicap. Must have hit a lot of greens for 76 or the chipping and putting was hot! 🙂

Chipping and putting was red hot. Def was a big reason. Hit fairways and the irons like I say, if I missed they left me a little short which was usually in front of green with a 20-30ft chip or less so I could work with that. It wasn't 30ft right or left misses behind bunkers or trees.  

• Like 2

On 2/26/2021 at 10:53 AM, llaw999 said:

Trying to decide between ZX7 and MP20 MMC. You guys definitely swaying me towards Srixon.

I noticed a lot of people mentioning ZX7 being longer. I wonder if it’s because of lower spin? How is the stopping power?

I have not had any problems with fliers or stopping power on the greens.  

i cant believe how great they look when u finally get to see them in person

Driver- TITLEIST TSr2 10° AD-HD 6s
3 Wood- TITLEIST TSi2 15° AD-DI 7s
Hybrid- TITLEIST TSr2 21° AD-HY 75s

Irons- SRIXON Zx5 Modus 105s
Wedges- CLEVELAND RTX-6 50/54/58 Tour Spinner 
Putter- PING  PLD Ally Blue 4

Ball- BRIDGESTONE Tour B X

2 hours ago, ob1soccer said:

i cant believe how great they look when u finally get to see them in person

100% agree.

I have 3 full range sessions in now and am just so impressed with them.  I went from the 120 gram to 105 gram so taking my time get used to the difference but feeling good...!    

I will note I bought APEX PRO '19 and after one range session I recall thinking something was wrong with them as they marked up so easy. 3 full sessions (noramlly to large buckets) and the ZX7 looks great, not much markings at all.  Pretty sure these will be in the bag a long time.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, CDM said:

100% agree.

I have 3 full range sessions in now and am just so impressed with them.  I went from the 120 gram to 105 gram so taking my time get used to the difference but feeling good...!    

I will note I bought APEX PRO '19 and after one range session I recall thinking something was wrong with them as they marked up so easy. 3 full sessions (noramlly to large buckets) and the ZX7 looks great, not much markings at all.  Pretty sure these will be in the bag a long time.

When going to 105 in irons, are you keeping the heavier standard shaft in the wedges or going lighter there as well? I am thinking about the 105 in the irons myself...

24 minutes ago, even_steven said:

When going to 105 in irons, are you keeping the heavier standard shaft in the wedges or going lighter there as well? I am thinking about the 105 in the irons myself...

I have Modus 105 in mine and still have the standard DG S200 in my three Vokeys.  I’m going to move to 105 in wedges.  Im not having any issues with the weight difference per se.  Rather, I once borrowed a wedge with a ~110 gram shaft, liked it (especially touch shots around the green), and I simply want to try going the same throughout the set.

• Like 1

TSi3 10

TS2 16.5 & 21

G425 22 & 26

ZX7 6i - PW

Vokey 54F-14, 58K-12

Spider X

i have Modus 105S in my 765 irons and love them. I have the 105 in my gap wedge and the 115 in the sand and the lob wedge. They both work perfectly and I cant tell the difference

• Like 1

Driver- TITLEIST TSr2 10° AD-HD 6s
3 Wood- TITLEIST TSi2 15° AD-DI 7s
Hybrid- TITLEIST TSr2 21° AD-HY 75s

Irons- SRIXON Zx5 Modus 105s
Wedges- CLEVELAND RTX-6 50/54/58 Tour Spinner 
Putter- PING  PLD Ally Blue 4

Ball- BRIDGESTONE Tour B X

9 hours ago, even_steven said:

My current set is listed in SIG but here is bit more specific

Driver:   65 Grams

3 Wood:   74 Grams

Hybrids:  (2 of them)   19 - 80 grams  / 22 - 90 Grams

Irons:   110 Grams (Estimate as mine are HS once which adds 3-4 grams  - 106.5 is stock)

Wedges:  (120 grams)

So far liking the weight setup through the set.

Will note I am having all the loft and lies checked this week.  Not sure but a few irons sure look to be very close on loft when just looking at setup  Gapping seems a bit close on few also. Makes me think they were rushed out like a lot of people are noting.

EDIT: BUT so very happy with the Iron/wedge feel and setup right now 😃 

Edited by CDM

3 hours ago, ob1soccer said:

i have Modus 105S in my 765 irons and love them. I have the 105 in my gap wedge and the 115 in the sand and the lob wedge. They both work perfectly and I cant tell the difference

I was thinking of going the Modus 115 wedge shaft but knowing that could take 4-6 weeks to get and have never hit one to know if I would like it or not I stuck with what I am used too. DG Tour Spinner that is stock.  It is about 10 grams heavier or so and it seems to blend well. 

2 hours ago, CDM said:

I was thinking of going the Modus 115 wedge shaft but knowing that could take 4-6 weeks to get and have never hit one to know if I would like it or not I stuck with what I am used too. DG Tour Spinner that is stock.  It is about 10 grams heavier or so and it seems to blend well. 

Sounds good. I really liked the stock DG spinner in the Zipcore. I hit the ZX7s with the Nippon 120 and while I hit them really good I also tested the ZX5 with the 105-shaft and all I can say is wow! That height with no balloning. Could be the ZX5 vs ZX7 of course but I think the 105 profile just really suits me. Going 105 HSx1 in the ZX7 and then DG spinner in the wedges sound good. Did you swing weight them to get back to standard swing weight or are they lighter? I've heard that Srixon doesn't do specified swing weights.

53 minutes ago, even_steven said:

Sounds good. I really liked the stock DG spinner in the Zipcore. I hit the ZX7s with the Nippon 120 and while I hit them really good I also tested the ZX5 with the 105-shaft and all I can say is wow! That height with no balloning. Could be the ZX5 vs ZX7 of course but I think the 105 profile just really suits me. Going 105 HSx1 in the ZX7 and then DG spinner in the wedges sound good. Did you swing weight them to get back to standard swing weight or are they lighter? I've heard that Srixon doesn't do specified swing weights.

I believe standard swing weight will be D-2.  Don’t think they will build to a different weight even if you request it. I had my fitter order and then rebuild to correct weight at D4ish.

• Like 1

On 2/28/2021 at 10:20 PM, Cakalacman said:

Chipping and putting was red hot. Def was a big reason. Hit fairways and the irons like I say, if I missed they left me a little short which was usually in front of green with a 20-30ft chip or less so I could work with that. It wasn't 30ft right or left misses behind bunkers or trees.  

So how is this saga progressing ? :classic_wink:

Callaway Epic Flash SZ 9.0 Ventus Blue 6S

Ping G425 14.5 Fairway Tour AD TP 6X

Ping G425 MAX 20.5 7 wood Diamana Blue 70 S

Titleist 716 AP-1  5-PW, DGS300

Ping Glide Forged, 48, DGS300

Taylormade MG3 52*, 56*, TW 60* DGS200

LAB Mezz Max 34*, RED, BGT Stability

Titleist Pro V1X