TSi3 Spin Characteristics

manima1

Curious to see everyone's thoughts on the TSi3's spin characteristics vs. some of the lower spin options out there like the SIM2 series.  I haven't gamed a Titleist driver since the 915D3 and while it was a solid performer, it definitely spun a lot for me and I picked up considerable distance (20+ yds) when I went to the TM M2 OG and then more recently the M5.  I have a TSi3 on order but want to make sure I'm not taking a step back if I've grown accustomed to the lower-spin TM products.  I've ordered the head in 9 degree loft currently.  Not interested in the TSi4 as that definitely appears to be a more niche product and the shape is not for me.

The TSi3 seems to have everything I'm looking for in a driver from looks, sound, ballspeed, forgiveness etc. But I don't want to be walking myself into a driver I can't get spin below 3k on a middle strike.

Curious to see what everyone's experience has been with this head to date.

***I want to stop anyone in advance for posting anything related to "any head is low spin depending on strike location / strike is king / where are you striking the ball / what is your miss on the head / what is your AOA" etc.  We get it, please refrain on this thread.

i have a TSI3 9.0 head and i played it at C1 setting wth neutral back weight. i found it to be pretty optimal in terms of spin, definitely not the lowest spinning head out there. i was surprised how high i can still launch it playing it at 8.25 degrees. in terms of looks and sound IMHO it's the best driver on the market currently...that being said MAX LS is every bit as forgiving and longer for me, just not as aesthetically pleasing to the eye and ears as the titleist

41 minutes ago, 1putt2win2 said:

i have a TSI3 9.0 head and i played it at C1 setting wth neutral back weight. i found it to be pretty optimal in terms of spin, definitely not the lowest spinning head out there. i was surprised how high i can still launch it playing it at 8.25 degrees. in terms of looks and sound IMHO it's the best driver on the market currently...that being said MAX LS is every bit as forgiving and longer for me, just not as aesthetically pleasing to the eye and ears as the titleist

I'm a big fan of Callaway driver shapes from the last couple of years, but IMO the Max LS is horrible looking. It's very triangular like the Fusion. Super weird. Mavrik SZ is so neutral looking. Interested in Sim2 though if it's less fade bias than Sim OG.

4 hours ago, manima1 said:

Curious to see everyone's thoughts on the TSi3's spin characteristics vs. some of the lower spin options out there like the SIM2 series.  I haven't gamed a Titleist driver since the 915D3 and while it was a solid performer, it definitely spun a lot for me and I picked up considerable distance (20+ yds) when I went to the TM M2 OG and then more recently the M5.  I have a TSi3 on order but want to make sure I'm not taking a step back if I've grown accustomed to the lower-spin TM products.  I've ordered the head in 9 degree loft currently.  Not interested in the TSi4 as that definitely appears to be a more niche product and the shape is not for me.

The TSi3 seems to have everything I'm looking for in a driver from looks, sound, ballspeed, forgiveness etc. But I don't want to be walking myself into a driver I can't get spin below 3k on a middle strike.

***I want to stop anyone in advance for posting anything related to "any head is low spin depending on strike location / strike is king / where are you striking the ball / what is your miss on the head / what is your AOA" etc.  We get it, please refrain on this thread.

I am a pretty high spin player, who has played Titleist drivers in the past and struggled with them having a little too much spin at times.  I found that the TSi3 was in a perfect window for me, averaging about 2300 RPM.  The SIM 2 is also a great driver, but I was just under 2000 RPM, which is a little bit low.  The noticeable difference is when I missed with the SIM those misses were way off line, whereas the Titleist TSi3 misses were manageable.  The SIM 2 was actually about 3 yards on longer due to the spin numbers, but to me that wasn't worth it as the dispersion wasn't near as good.  Both were tested in the same shaft (Ventus Black 6X) with roughly the same lofts (8-8.5 degrees).

I just got done with a fitting last week on GC Quad, Ventus black into the TSi3, Sim2, and G425LST.  For me, the TSi3 and Sim2 spun within 80rpms (identical), and were extremely similar.  I think Titleist has figured out how to make a great all around low spinning head with TSi3, and TM has added some stability into Sim through Sim2.  All three heads were great and nearly identical.  Shaft is where the gains were for me.  YMMV

Ping G425 LST 9* / Fujikura Ventus Blue 6X

Taylormade BRNR Mini Driver 13.5* / Fujikura Atmos Blue TS 7X

Ping iCrossover 18* / Ping Tour 2.0 85X

Ping i230 4-U / Dynamic Gold Tour Issue 120 X100

Titleist SM9 54.10S / Dynamic Gold Tour Issue S400

Titleist SM9 60.04T / Dynamic Gold Tour Issue S400
Ping Vault Oslo

Titleist ProV1

Ping Hoofer

48 minutes ago, werpennstate23 said:

I am a pretty high spin player, who has played Titleist drivers in the past and struggled with them having a little too much spin at times.  I found that the TSi3 was in a perfect window for me, averaging about 2300 RPM.  The SIM 2 is also a great driver, but I was just under 2000 RPM, which is a little bit low.  The noticeable difference is when I missed with the SIM those misses were way off line, whereas the Titleist TSi3 misses were manageable.  The SIM 2 was actually about 3 yards on longer due to the spin numbers, but to me that wasn't worth it as the dispersion wasn't near as good.  Both were tested in the same shaft (Ventus Black 6X) with roughly the same lofts (8-8.5 degrees).

This is good to hear, appreciate the feedback.  You likely bring a good amount of speed playing the Ventus Black X, so that is reassuring.  I ordered mine with the Tensei White AV Raw TX Proto 2.0 - so that should help with spin as well.  

Can I assume you were using the 9.0 head lofted down or did you start with the 8.0 head?  Starting to think maybe I shoulda gone 8.0

TSi3 and SIM Max2 were pretty similar for me, TSi3 was slightly better on my best strikes and slightly lower spin when paired with the shaft I was fit into.

I preferred the look/sound of the TSi3. Never gamed a Titleist driver and I had no real preference when going in to the fitting. Definitely give the TSi3 a look.

Titleist TSR2 // Autoflex SF505

Titleist TSR2 16.5 // Vista Pro 60s

Ping G25 20, 23 // Tour AD True Spec

Titleist T200/T150 5-GW // Steelfiber i80PR

Titleist SM9 54.10, 58.12 // Steelfiber i80r

L.A.B. Golf DF3 // L.A.B. x TPT

6 hours ago, manima1 said:

This is good to hear, appreciate the feedback.  You likely bring a good amount of speed playing the Ventus Black X, so that is reassuring.  I ordered mine with the Tensei White AV Raw TX Proto 2.0 - so that should help with spin as well.  

Can I assume you were using the 9.0 head lofted down or did you start with the 8.0 head?  Starting to think maybe I shoulda gone 8.0

8 degree head playing at standard loft.  Might play around with 8.75, because I always like to tinker, but there is no real reason to do so right now.

I tried to play that low-spin launch monitor ball with clubs like the M1 440 but could never keep the thing under control.  I've always been high spin high launch player and the biggest difference for me was shaft weight.

Went up from the 60's to the 70g's with the Tensei Raw White 75x and now the Ventus Black 7x and while I know the spin is just a touch high, I still get a nice penetrating flight with enough spin to provide that stability in the ball flight.

I've never been happier with a driver since the days of the Cally FT-3 and Cleveland Launcher Comp with a Grafalloy Blue.  It's been quite some time...

Titleist TSI3 8 degree w/Ventus Black 7x
Callaway X Hot Pro 3W 15 degrees
Mizuno CLK Hybrid 16 degrees
Titleist 712U 3 iron w/C-Taper X
Mizuno JPX 921 Tour 4-W w/Project X 6.0
Titleist Vokey Blue Slate SM7 52, 58, 60 w/ DG S400
Odyssey ProType Black #9

20 hours ago, manima1 said:

Nobody knows if it will be low enough spinning for you. As your last paragraph says , strike is king and someone who hits a 915d3 at or above center will likely have similar spin to someone who hits a sim low on the face. Generally the consensus is the newer stuff is quite a bit lower spinning. 

this also depends on your speed. For some golfers 3k is a very reasonable spin. If you hit a tsi3 in the appropriate location and it’s an appropriate loft for you , you should easily be able to get sub 3k spin. 

1 hour ago, pinhigh27 said:

Nobody knows if it will be low enough spinning for you. As your last paragraph says , strike is king and someone who hits a 915d3 at or above center will likely have similar spin to someone who hits a sim low on the face. Generally the consensus is the newer stuff is quite a bit lower spinning. 

this also depends on your speed. For some golfers 3k is a very reasonable spin. If you hit a tsi3 in the appropriate location and it’s an appropriate loft for you , you should easily be able to get sub 3k spin. 

22 hours ago, manima1 said:

LOL you literally couldn't help yourself

10 hours ago, Left Rough said:

I tried to play that low-spin launch monitor ball with clubs like the M1 440 but could never keep the thing under control.  I've always been high spin high launch player and the biggest difference for me was shaft weight.

Went up from the 60's to the 70g's with the Tensei Raw White 75x and now the Ventus Black 7x and while I know the spin is just a touch high, I still get a nice penetrating flight with enough spin to provide that stability in the ball flight.

I've never been happier with a driver since the days of the Cally FT-3 and Cleveland Launcher Comp with a Grafalloy Blue.  It's been quite some time...

Thanks for sharing.  What is your swingspeed and typical ball flight if you don't mind me asking?

52 minutes ago, manima1 said:

Thanks for sharing.  What is your swingspeed and typical ball flight if you don't mind me asking?

I'm probably in the 115-118 SS range.  My ball flight typically has been too high with any driver I've tried with little rollout, so I started with a TSI3 Tensei Raw White 75x (a stock offering) at 8 degree, but actually found that a tad low so tweaked up the loft a notch.  Currently at 8.75 with the Ventus Black 7x (didn't need to adjust the loft between the 2 shafts).  Good luck!

Titleist TSI3 8 degree w/Ventus Black 7x
Callaway X Hot Pro 3W 15 degrees
Mizuno CLK Hybrid 16 degrees
Titleist 712U 3 iron w/C-Taper X
Mizuno JPX 921 Tour 4-W w/Project X 6.0
Titleist Vokey Blue Slate SM7 52, 58, 60 w/ DG S400
Odyssey ProType Black #9

1 hour ago, manima1 said:

LOL you literally couldn't help yourself

Because you basically just said “ yes I know it’s a complex question with many variables but if we exclude the majority of them, what is the result “

And I specifically said the tsi3 will likely spin less than the 915 all else equal. But not if you hit it poorly 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, manima1 said:

Any other TSi3 users out there that can share their experience?

I like lower spin drivers.  I loved OG M2, Cobra LTD pro, etc. I’ve never owned a Titleist driver before, never gotten along with them. I currently have a 9* TSi3 playing at 8.25* and love it. It’s plenty low spin, especially when set up with a shaft you know gives you good results.  I’m seeing 2200-2300 spin, which is right where I want it.  I agree with previous poster who said Callaway EpicMax LS was funky looking.  Shape and sound of TSi3 are absolutely top notch, imo...

Callaway Paradym Triple 💎 10.5* Ventus Blue 6X/TR 6S
Titleist TSR2 16.5* (Set to 15.75*) Tour AD DI 7S
Titleist TSR2 18* Hybrid Tour AD IZ 85S
Titleist u505 4i (21*) Tour AD DI 95S

Srixon Zx7 MK II 5-PW, 51* AW - Modus 105S
Callaway Jaws 56*-Jaws Full Toe 60*-  DG 115 TI S200

Toulon Garage Custom Las Vegas H7 35”

2 hours ago, Hookasaurus Rex said:

I like lower spin drivers.  I loved OG M2, Cobra LTD pro, etc. I’ve never owned a Titleist driver before, never gotten along with them. I currently have a 9* TSi3 playing at 8.25* and love it. It’s plenty low spin, especially when set up with a shaft you know gives you good results.  I’m seeing 2200-2300 spin, which is right where I want it.  I agree with previous poster who said Callaway EpicMax LS was funky looking.  Shape and sound of TSi3 are absolutely top notch, imo...

Very helpful perspective, kindve confirming what I was hoping to hear lol 

Titleist says that TSi3 spins similarly to TSi2...they're both listed as "LOW" for spin when you do the compare tool on Titleist's website. So...I guess I'm just not so sure that TSi3 is a "low spin driver" the way that an LST or SZ are. 

TSi3 9.0 (A4)  Tensei Raw Blue 65 Stiff 

TS2 15 (B1) Project X Even Flow White 75 6.0
TS3 19 (C4) Project X Even Flow White 90 6.0
i59 4-W DG 120 S300
Glide Forged Pro (52/56/60) DG 120 S300
Scotty Cameron 009m and Tour Newport 
Pro V1x Yellow 

3 hours ago, towncryer said:

Titleist says that TSi3 spins similarly to TSi2...they're both listed as "LOW" for spin when you do the compare tool on Titleist's website. So...I guess I'm just not so sure that TSi3 is a "low spin driver" the way that an LST or SZ are. 

With my swing characteristics, a 9 degree TSi3 was consistently close to 600rpm lower spin (around 2200) than a 9 degree TSi2 with the same shaft (RDX Black 6.5) but the misses were close to 1000rpm lower. It was interesting - I thought they would be much closer. I couldn't get the TSi2 below 2500 at all.

I suspect the LST and SZ would be lower once again, but I'm yet to try them out with a good launch monitor. Though I'm pretty happy with 2200.

Edited by steventoo

Titleist TSi3 9*          | Mitsubishi Tensei 1K Black 65TX

Titleist 2021 T200 2 iron | Mitsubishi Tensei AV Raw White 100X

Titleist 2021 T200 3 iron | KBS Tour 130X

Titleist 2021 T100S 4-PW  | KBS Tour 130X

Vokey SM9 50.08F          | KBS Tour 130X

Vokey SM9 56.08M, 62.08M  | Dynamic Gold S400

LAB Golf DF 2.1 Custom    | Accra x LAB

3 hours ago, towncryer said:

I played a G410 LST last season with a Ventus Black 7x and moved to a TSi3 with a Black 6x this season. TSi3 is quite a bit lower spin for me. The LST wasn’t that low spinning, just compared to the Plus. SZ and SIM were a whole different level of low spin compared to the LST last year. 

Edited by MPAndreassi

Stealth Plus+ 10.5* || Ventus Blue TR 7x

SIM2 Rescue 17* || Ventus Blue HB 8x

X-Forged UT 18* || MMT UT 105tx

TSi2 21* || Ventus Black HB 10tx

T100/620MB 5-9 || DG X7

SM9 47 || DG X7

SM9 51, 55, 59 || DG X1

BB8 Tri Wiz Cu Insert || BGT Stability Tour

Bettinardi BKS #1

7 hours ago, Valtiel said:

It is a bit of a loaded question and what MP said above here lines up with the relative CG locations and MOI for each of these drivers. The G410 LST, while being their "low spin" model, is still a high MOI, med/high CG driver. This means lots of stability in terms of spin windows, but not the lowest spinning configuration by any stretch. The SZ (assuming we're referring to the Mavrik) is a SUPER low CG, coming in even lower than the TS3 in it's "rear" weight setting, and through the floor in the "front" setting. This means super low spin, but with significant stability concerns for all but the best strikers, especially in that front setting. The SIM in it's stock setup sits almost exactly halfway between the forgiveness and stability of the G410 and the insane low spin of the SZ with the weight in front. The TSi3 is likely going to sit closer to the G410, but with lower CG, basically making it a lower spinning version of the G410 by a tick. This is likely why it saw such rapid tour adoption as stability + low spin is the magic combo. 

The TSi3 won't ever be the lowest spinning in the lineup, but it seems like they hit on a really effective blend of higher stability and lower spin, which combined with the looks/sound/feel makes it easy to see why it is a big winner. 

Good info from all who responded. I play a TS3 and don't really feel like it's super low spin, but definitely lower than the G400 that I was playing until last August. 

TSi3 9.0 (A4)  Tensei Raw Blue 65 Stiff 

TS2 15 (B1) Project X Even Flow White 75 6.0
TS3 19 (C4) Project X Even Flow White 90 6.0
i59 4-W DG 120 S300
Glide Forged Pro (52/56/60) DG 120 S300
Scotty Cameron 009m and Tour Newport 
Pro V1x Yellow 

8 hours ago, Valtiel said:

It is a bit of a loaded question and what MP said above here lines up with the relative CG locations and MOI for each of these drivers. The G410 LST, while being their "low spin" model, is still a high MOI, med/high CG driver. This means lots of stability in terms of spin windows, but not the lowest spinning configuration by any stretch. The SZ (assuming we're referring to the Mavrik) is a SUPER low CG, coming in even lower than the TS3 in it's "rear" weight setting, and through the floor in the "front" setting. This means super low spin, but with significant stability concerns for all but the best strikers, especially in that front setting. The SIM in it's stock setup sits almost exactly halfway between the forgiveness and stability of the G410 and the insane low spin of the SZ with the weight in front. The TSi3 is likely going to sit closer to the G410, but with lower CG, basically making it a lower spinning version of the G410 by a tick. This is likely why it saw such rapid tour adoption as stability + low spin is the magic combo. 

The TSi3 won't ever be the lowest spinning in the lineup, but it seems like they hit on a really effective blend of higher stability and lower spin, which combined with the looks/sound/feel makes it easy to see why it is a big winner. 

Per usual @Valtiel with another phenomenal post, thanks for sharing 

• Thanks 1

On 2/25/2021 at 9:14 AM, manima1 said:

The tsi3 isn't the lowest spinning head, but ball speeds are fast as we anything.  I actually switched from sim to tsi3 because the slightly higher spin makes it more accurate. 

The best advice is to get fit before ordering instead of relying on other's opinions after you order.  Others may or may not swing like you. 

Also, I know you don't want to hear it, but strike is a huge determining factor.  Some drivers do a better at lower or higher or toe strikes than others.  Perfect example is why I moved from sim...  I like to tee it higher.  The shallow face on the sim made me hit too high on the face, which resulted in less than optimal strikes.  The same tee height on the tsi3, due to the taller face, is a better strike for me and I get better results.  

• Like 1

PXG Black Ops Tour 1 Fujikura Motore X F3

PXG Black Ops 3 wood hzrdus black

PXG Black Ops 17* hybrid hzrdus black

TaylorMade P770 4-9 KBS Tour

TaylorMade  MG 46/52/58wedges

TaylorMade Spider mallet 72 putter

23 hours ago, bogeypro said:

The tsi3 isn't the lowest spinning head, but ball speeds are fast as we anything.  I actually switched from sim to tsi3 because the slightly higher spin makes it more accurate. 

The best advice is to get fit before ordering instead of relying on other's opinions after you order.  Others may or may not swing like you. 

Also, I know you don't want to hear it, but strike is a huge determining factor.  Some drivers do a better at lower or higher or toe strikes than others.  Perfect example is why I moved from sim...  I like to tee it higher.  The shallow face on the sim made me hit too high on the face, which resulted in less than optimal strikes.  The same tee height on the tsi3, due to the taller face, is a better strike for me and I get better results.  

Thanks for sharing.  Not so much that I don't want to hear it, I've just seen too many threads get derailed by some members offering unsolicited "education" posters on basic physics that are involved in the driver strike lol.

But your feedback is very helpful.  I as well like to tee it higher so the deeper face will probably benefit me as well.  Really anxious to see if I can pick up anything over my current M5.  These Titleist build times are killing me!

• Like 3

I think you'll find that most companies are adding a little spin back into the drivers.  The tsi is the right mix for me.  Plus, it's just not fade biased like the TaylorMade.  

PXG Black Ops Tour 1 Fujikura Motore X F3

PXG Black Ops 3 wood hzrdus black

PXG Black Ops 17* hybrid hzrdus black

TaylorMade P770 4-9 KBS Tour

TaylorMade  MG 46/52/58wedges

TaylorMade Spider mallet 72 putter

I recently tested the TSi3 and the Sim 2 Max.  I know this isn't an apples to apples low spin head comparison, but those were the 2 drivers I was interested in.  The Titleist consistently spun around 2500 rpms for me on my bad swings.  The center strikes were in the 2200 rpms range.  My bad swings with the SIM 2 max were around 3200 rpms.  This test was done with the same shafts.  The Titleist felt better, sounded better, and was much more consistent for me.  Strikes high and low on the face still had a decent ball flight with reasonable spin numbers. 

I think the pendulum on "low spin drivers" is coming back alittle bit, and is now less extreme.  The 2000 rpm and below heads are just hard to control and when I miss with these super low spin heads, the results are generally awful for me and costly to my score. I think a 2200-2500 rpm spin is optimal for me, so this was a no brainer. My TSi3 is coming on Friday.  

• Like 1

LEFT HANDED

Titleist TSR3 with Metaflex 5H shaft (currently testing the Proxima 6 stiff shaft)
Titleist TSR2 16.5 degree fwy with Ventus Red 7 stiff shaft
Ping G430 19 and 22 degree hybrids with Ventus Blue HB 8 stiff shaft
Srixon ZX7 mkii 5-PW with Fuji Axiom 105 stiff shafts

Titleist SM9 50F, 54D, 58T wedge with Fuji Axiom 105 stiff shafts
L.A.B. MEZZ Max putter with LAGP putter shaft

surprised by the Sim2 lower spinning comments.  I thought last years Sim was lower spinning than the Sim2.  I know the Sim2 launches higher than the original Sim but I didn’t think it was lower spinning.  

Callaway Paradym Smoke AI Triple Diamond 9* Proxima 6X

TM Stealth2 Plus 3 wood 15*- Ventus TR Blue 7X
Callaway Rogue “T” Triple Diamond 19* 5 wood- Ventus TR Blue 8X
4-PW PXG Gen5 Darkness 0311T MMT 105TX 2* flat
PXG Sugar Daddy 2  50* Axiom 125X
PXG Sugar Daddy 2  54* Axiom 125X
PXG Sugar Daddy 2  58* Axiom 125X
LAB Mezz Max-heavy version, 35” with Stability Tour Fire shaft. Press II 3.0 grip
PXG Hybrid stand bag