New Tempo for increased swingspeed?

Using a metronome or Tour Tempo what sort of tempo should I be using if I am looking to increase swingspeed?

For example I filmed myself with the 24/8 tempo hitting a 6 iron and it looks like a nice easy swing but looks like I am not swinging fast enough.  If I try and hit it hard with that tempo I outrace it.

When I film myself just hitting it as hard as possible or just under as hard as possible the tempo looks inconsistent and too fast/sloppy.  Not sure how to describe it but it doesnt looks right.  Certainly not smooth.

Does anyone know what the tour long hitters tempo is?

Edited by Trap Junior
  • Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

If you’re looking to increase CHS I wouldn’t overly worry about tempo per say. Working on speeding up backswing is a good start. 

With a forward press the tempo is a 3 count or waltz tempo. Forward press is one second, to the top is one second and to the finish is one second. It's fairly fast and rhythmic. If sequenced properly

Posted Images

5 hours ago, xmanhockey7 said:

If you’re looking to increase CHS I wouldn’t overly worry about tempo per say. Working on speeding up backswing is a good start. 

I don't think speeding up back swing is going to help in increasing ss although I agree that tempo isn't really a factor in this instance.  My temp is very quick and I can get it out there.  It's how far back you can turn your left shoulder at the top, lag and how much arm speed you can generate on the way down that determines ss. 

TM SIM 2, 8* w/Ventus Black 7x

TM SIM 15* w/Ventus Blue 8x

TM Tour Issue Deep Face Ghost Proto TP 2 HB  w/Thump 105x

New Level NLU-01 21* w/KBS Proto 105x

New Level 623-M 5-PW w/MMT 125 TX

54* Miura HB w/KBS 610 S+, 58* Miura w/KBS Tour Black

Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 1

2 hours ago, phizzy30 said:

I don't think speeding up back swing is going to help in increasing ss although I agree that tempo isn't really a factor in this instance.  My temp is very quick and I can get it out there.  It's how far back you can turn your left shoulder at the top, lag and how much arm speed you can generate on the way down that determines ss. 

• Like 3

Sealed with a curse as sharp as a knife.  Doomed is your soul and damned is your life.

Laugh-a while you can, monkey boy.
Enjoy every sandwich

I find it more productive to think about "acceleration" versus "speed."

Have you ever driven a really, really fast car? You learn pretty quickly that gradually depressing the gas pedal helps you pour on the speed, while stomping on it causes you to spin out and lose control. 

That thought is powerful in the golf swing. 

Edited by me05501
4 hours ago, glk said:

I still stand by my post, although I will give Dr. Mackenzie some credit here.  It's still theory however.  Sung Jae Im takes his swing back really slow on the back swing.  He's not the longest hitter on tour but I've seen him hit 174 mph ball speed which means he's no slouch off the tee.  You also have Zach Johnson who has one of the fastest tempos and back swings on tour and he can barely hit 160.  So it works both ways.   

Edited by phizzy30

TM SIM 2, 8* w/Ventus Black 7x

TM SIM 15* w/Ventus Blue 8x

TM Tour Issue Deep Face Ghost Proto TP 2 HB  w/Thump 105x

New Level NLU-01 21* w/KBS Proto 105x

New Level 623-M 5-PW w/MMT 125 TX

54* Miura HB w/KBS 610 S+, 58* Miura w/KBS Tour Black

Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 1

2 minutes ago, phizzy30 said:

I still stand by my post, although I will give Dr. Mackenzie some credit here.  It's still theory however.  Sung Jae Im takes his swing back really slow on the back swing.  He's not the longest hitter on tour but I've seen him hit 174 mph ball speed which means he's no slouch off the tee.  You also have Zach Johnson who has one of the fastest tempos and back swings on tour and he can barely hit 160.  So it works both ways.   

You seem to miss the point.   Sasho even mentioned Hideki too.     The issue is what creates the largest average net force on the handle - people have individual limits - so Sung Jae and Hideki can create larger net forces than Zach even with his fast backswing - but Sasho said you need a longer hand path or  apply more average force over the current hand path (or both).     So Zach is pretty much getting as much out of his swing as he can relative to his backswing so he'd need to look for ways to increase the average force if he wanted to gain speed.   This is just like increasing the vertical force under the lead foot - some will find distance gains, some will not.    But to say speeding up the backswing can't increase the swing speed is false.

Sealed with a curse as sharp as a knife.  Doomed is your soul and damned is your life.

Laugh-a while you can, monkey boy.
Enjoy every sandwich

13 hours ago, phizzy30 said:

Completely disagree. It’s certainly not the only factor, but I’ve seen enough people increase CHS doing it, it’s a factor for sure. Look at Bryson swing pre-bulk up to now. New swing takes less time. Some other information out there suggests the same.