2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

Ball Recommendation for a 90mph swing

DallasDan

The ProV1 fits so many profiles....ive tried the Tour BXS (Tigers ball) but its built FOR Tiger.....unless you have ANY of his game, this ball is more unique than people realize....many play it because its "Tigers ball" but reality dictates its not for most golfers.

The TP5 has been very impressive, but in most "tests" it comes out shorter off the driver than the ProV1's......

stick with the HUGE leader in the industry which is the Prov1......forget the driver...these balls are MONEY with the 5i-sw........

one ball that was shockingly good for me was the Chromesoft even though they have received a ton of bad press.......good luck

On 2/25/2021 at 11:31 AM, DallasDan said:

There is so much conflicting information out there regarding ball fitting. I have been using ProV1's but I am thinking that those balls are meant for triple digit swing speeds in order to get the most out of them. I've used Tour Soft and NXTs in the past with pretty good success. I am most concerned with distance off of the tee since I'm the shortest hitter in my foursome. 

Any comments on optimal ball compression for a 90mph swing? Right now the Tour Speed has caught my eye along with the e6. I'm thinking a firmer ball will give me a little less spin and more roll out. 

Your thoughts are appreciated!

While it is true that there is a correlation between firmer balls and higher ball speeds, that signal is much stronger for players with higher speeds. For players in your swing speed range, that signal disappears into the background noise of strike variation and other launch condition variables pretty quickly. The good news is that means you can play a softer ball if you prefer its feel and not feel like you're giving up meaningful performance at the long end of your bag.

As others have stated, the best/most reliable way to get faster/longer is to dig it out of the mats in the gym. I can't recommend the Fit for Golf programs by Mike Carroll highly enough. I started working his stuff about 6 months before the virus took away my gym access, and in February and March of last year I was fireballing it out there like I did when I was 23 years old and I felt much better in general.

• Like 1

OEM Certified Master Fitter

"Never forget that the luxury of being
wrong is not enough to make you right."
WITB Link

On 2/26/2021 at 3:00 PM, munichop said:

Over the years as my driver ss dwindled from 110 to 95 I too have chased ball offerings that better suit my limitations. Since 2015 I have stuck with surlyn balls for two reasons, they launch higher and typically fly a little longer due to reduced spin in the irons.  Any bonus I have found in driver distance is rollout. For me if you like a firmer feeling budget ball the top flite gamer is very good and the hammer control is good if you want a softer ball. I recently tried the new e6 and it launches very high and straight. Two other lower compression gems are the srixon soft feel and the titleist tru feel.  The soft feel is a little longer off the driver but the tru feel a little longer on the irons. Of the balls I mentioned the top flites and soft feel are more workable, the e6 the most point and shoot and the tru feel in the middle of that group. None of them are as easy to curve as a pro v. 
I am auditioning the e12 contact tomorrow and will post on it soon.

Very interested to hear your e12 Contact findings.

Honestly, pick a ball that is going to help your shortgame the most. If you need the spin, pick something like a ProV1, TP5 or Tiger's Ball. If you don't need the spin then you open yourself up to a large # of mid-tier balls that you can save some $$$ on. Other than the Kirkland (green box 3 piece ball) that came out about a year ago, they're all gonna be roughly 5-10yds of each other on most drives and maaaaaybe half a club on the irons.

d: Epic Max | f: Rogue 3HL, Apex UW | h1: Apex Super | i: 923 HM | w: MD4 | p: Chalk Spider X SB

From my experience the firmer ball will usually go farther off the driver than a softer ball, all else being equal, how much?  Probably not that much, but a little.  I do think in general I get more distance with the short irons out of the softer balls, especially the ones with the harder covers, as they don't spin as much, but you lose stopping power.  

I also do NOT want to give up control around the green, so I always play a urethane covered ball, and they are not all created equal.  To me I go with the ProV1 X, as it gives me a bit more carry and higher trajectory, or a similar model from another company.  The only real benefit I have found from softer core balls with firmer covers is that they sound better, especially off of some of these modern thin faced clubs, and you can pick up about 5 yards with the PW.  

Edited by dlygrisse

Ping G400 Testing G410.  10.5 set at small -
Ping G410 3, 5 and 7 wood

Ping G410 5 hybrid-not much use.  
Mizuno JPX 921 Hot Metal. 5-G
Vokey 54.10, 2009 58.12 M, Testing TM MG2 60* TW grind and MG3 56* TW grind.  Or Ping Glide Stealth, 54,58 SS.  
Odyssey Pro #1 black
Hoofer, Ecco, Bushnell
ProV1x-mostly

On 2/27/2021 at 11:57 AM, Lobby said:

Not attacking you.  Just questioning how well they can measure those ball distances.  

To me, that chart above tells me those golf balls go the same distance.

Keep in mind that chart that I showed are based  on "averages" of distances achieved at three different swing speeds. They didn't measure distance down to .1 or .2 yards. 

On 2/25/2021 at 1:24 PM, hammergolf said:

Don’t believe the swing speed vs compression myth. I’m in the same boat as you for swing speed and I play the Bridgestone Tour B X. It simply outperforms all other balls for me. My advice, buy 4 sleeves of balls you prefer the feel of. Start with testing around the greens, then longer pitches, full wedges, short irons, mid irons, then longer clubs. Balls will be pretty similar off the driver, but generally a firmer ball with give you more ball speed. 

This.

My driver is anywhere from 87 to 95.  I cannot find a better ball than the Tour B X.  I've tried all versions ProVs, TP5s, Snells, and the other Tour Bs and the Tour B X is simply the best ball I can hit (at least right now...).

• Like 1

"Obviously you're not a golfer." ~ The Dude
"Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it
." ~ Ferris Bueller
"The only thing a golfer needs is more daylight." ~ Ben Hogan

Woods:    Callaway Rogue ST Max 10.5* (D,-1) - VA Composites Slay 65 Four | Callaway Rogue ST Max 15* 3W - Aldila Rogue White 130MSI 70S | Callaway Rogue ST Max 20* HeavenWood - Aldila Rogue White 130MSI 70S

Irons:      Artisan FC 4-P - Nippon Modus3 Tour 105 Stiff | Mizuno MX-20 4-P DG300S (when I am not getting along with the Artisans)

Wedges:  Artisan 50*, 54*, 58* - DG300S

Putter:     Artisan 0920 long plumbers neck - 360g, 34.25", 3* loft, 66.5* lie | Artisan 0220 long plumbers neck - 360g, 34.25", 3* loft, 66.5* lie

Ball:         Titleist Pro V1 | Bridgestone Tour B X

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/25/2021 at 12:31 PM, DallasDan said:

There is so much conflicting information out there regarding ball fitting. I have been using ProV1's but I am thinking that those balls are meant for triple digit swing speeds in order to get the most out of them. I've used Tour Soft and NXTs in the past with pretty good success. I am most concerned with distance off of the tee since I'm the shortest hitter in my foursome. 

Any comments on optimal ball compression for a 90mph swing? Right now the Tour Speed has caught my eye along with the e6. I'm thinking a firmer ball will give me a little less spin and more roll out. 

Your thoughts are appreciated!

Lot of great input and here's mine FWIW 

I'm 55 now ,also lost tons of speed (110 to <90) due to aging and medical issues.  I've accepted this and moved up tees. 

I tried playing the softer balls , even the higher launch softer balls like Qstar tour and the like. Well I noticed that the ladies on LPGA were playing versions of Prov1/v1x yet barely have more speed than us. REASON?  Short game control......after research,  I realized that the firmer V1x launched higher and spun more than many of its counterparts.....TP5X, BX , etc.....so once I got past the firmer feel (not bad after using) the 2019 ball just performed very well for MY needs.....standard V1 spins less, flies lower ; TP5 spins but flies lower, TP5X flies as high but lacks greenside spin , BXS is next closest but not as durable. 

As others have stated , grab a few sleeves or even find quality used and give each a whirl.....I've actually GAINED yardage with better trajectory and I find the 2019 ball more stable in the wind than the 2021 V1x ball.....FOR ME .....each player has their own findings but the validation of consistency is etched in stone with Titleist golf balls since the incarnation of the Prov line ......

Keep us posted

Actually I just did a virtual ball fitting with Titleist and in reality the ball that is probably better for most golfers is the Pro V1X over the regular Pro V1.   Because it launches higher and spins more which helps a lower swing speed golfer keep their drives in the air longer and gives them the spin to hold the green.   

• Thanks 1

Try the TaylorMade Tour Response.

I'm in the low 90's SS and really like this ball.

Rogue ST Max LS or Paradym 10.5 (9.5) Ventus TR 5 R

Paradym 3HL  NVS 65 R
AI Smoke 21* and 24*
PXG GEN6 XP 2X Black 6-GW MMT 6 or AI Smoke 6-GW Tensei white 75 R

PM Grind 2.0 54 and 58

Bettinardi Innovai Rev 6.0  33” 

E.R.C. Soft TT/ Chrome Soft TT / TM Tour Response '20

I’m in the low 90’s and sometimes even lower as I have found better accuracy by slowing down. I have used Bridgestone BRX, Callaway Chrome Soft and ERC Soft, Titleist Tour Soft and Velocity and Optima CS that perhaps is only available in Australia. 

Tour Soft and ERC Soft feels similar. I use the Velocity and Optima CS for distance with good results with around 20 yds more than usual. I use BRX and Chrome Soft not that much in these days.

In my foursome there is a guy that hits around 300 yds with TP5x (single digit hcp) but I stopped to feel intimidated and try to reach him, accuracy is my goal in these days and many times I score better than him.