Matthew Wolff - 83

I get it, we all have disaster rounds sometimes.  He was chunking, blading, hitting 25 yards over greens, driving into penalties...  3 putt.   My question is not about this round in particular, but he just doesn’t seem to be playing like he used to.  When watching him, it seems his swing has gotten really short, like, a 3/4 swing.   When he was playing well and contending, I thought I remembered his swing being long, and past parallel, across the line.   Not sure why it got so short lately. Anyone else notice this, or is it my imagination?

Callaway Epic Max 9*, Hzrdus Smoke iM10 60
Callaway Mavrik 15*, Aldila Rogue White 70
Ping G425 hybrid, 19*, Tensei Pro 80 Orange
Callaway Apex 19 Pro 4-AW, Pro Modus 3 Tour 120
Titleist Vokey SM8 54/58 D-grind
PXG Closer 2 putter
Titleist ProV1

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

He never had a swing that would hold up on the tour.

The real question here is whether a 4 hdcp can take him!

Cue the "He never had a swing that would hold up on the tour" crowd.

His backswing is unique but I don't recall it being long, to me it looked more vertical on the backswing. But on the transition, he moves into a much conventional position for the downswing.

Obviously, people with unique or different swings can play very well but I think unique swings are more prone to getting out of whack than a classic or conventional swing.  Maybe he's not feeling the way he needs to feel on the transition?

And of course, as you said, sometimes things just go really wrong. Golf is a nutty game. 

Edited by PJE
  • Like 4
1 hour ago, ProStryker said:

I get it, we all have disaster rounds sometimes.  He was chunking, blading, hitting 25 yards over greens, driving into penalties...  3 putt.   My question is not about this round in particular, but he just doesn’t seem to be playing like he used to.  When watching him, it seems his swing has gotten really short, like, a 3/4 swing.   When he was playing well and contending, I thought I remembered his swing being long, and past parallel, across the line.   Not sure why it got so short lately. Anyone else notice this, or is it my imagination?

He withdrew after the round. For a while he was heading toward 90 as he was +12 after 11. Possible his wrist injury from earlier this year is still bothering him. He hasn't played well since mid October after b2b 2nd place finishes. 8 events played. 2 WD. Best finish of T36 in the other 6.

Edited by grm24
13 minutes ago, PJE said:

His backswing is unique but I don't recall it being long, to me it looked more vertical on the backswing. But on the transition, he moves into a much conventional position for the downswing.

Obviously, people with unique or different swings can play very well but I think unique swings are more prone to getting out of whack than a classic or conventional swing.  Maybe he's not feeling the way he needs to feel on the transition?

And of course, as you said, sometimes things just go really wrong. Golf is a nutty game. 

I just went and watched YouTube vid of his swing a year ago.  It wasn’t as long or parallel as I thought.   Apparently, my memory is failing me, lol

• Like 3

Callaway Epic Max 9*, Hzrdus Smoke iM10 60
Callaway Mavrik 15*, Aldila Rogue White 70
Ping G425 hybrid, 19*, Tensei Pro 80 Orange
Callaway Apex 19 Pro 4-AW, Pro Modus 3 Tour 120
Titleist Vokey SM8 54/58 D-grind
PXG Closer 2 putter
Titleist ProV1

Injuries cause golfers to compensate to try and avoid or minimize pain.  I'm guilty of this.  My swing was all out of wack when I suffered a serious hand and knee injury.  Took awhile to recover and get my swing back to where it should've been. 

• Like 1

TM SIM 2, 8* w/Ventus Black 7x

TM SIM 15* w/Ventus Blue 8x

TM Tour Issue Deep Face Ghost Proto TP 2 HB  w/Thump 105x

New Level NLU-01 21* w/KBS Proto 105x

New Level 623-M 5-PW w/MMT 125 TX

54* Miura HB w/KBS 610 S+, 58* Miura w/KBS Tour Black

Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 1

5 minutes ago, oikos1 said:

Cue the "He never had a swing that would hold up on the tour" crowd.

Hahaha I mean, but for real ... he has to do SO MUCH re-routing in the downswing that it's always concerned me - and I like the kid - how consistently he can pull that off; especially under tour pressure. 

Say what you will about Tony Finau's win record but I'm a total believer that the general simplicity of his swing is why he's always in the hunt. His lack of wins is totally mental and not mechanics. 

• Like 1

Titleist TS2 8.5°

Titleist TS2 18°

Taylormade P7MC 3-PW

Vokey 50°, 54°, 60°

Scotty Cameron Newport 

#TeamJumboMax

#Team3iron

16 minutes ago, aenemated said:

Hahaha I mean, but for real ... he has to do SO MUCH re-routing in the downswing that it's always concerned me - and I like the kid - how consistently he can pull that off; especially under tour pressure. 

Say what you will about Tony Finau's win record but I'm a total believer that the general simplicity of his swing is why he's always in the hunt. His lack of wins is totally mental and not mechanics. 

Also hard to see how Finau is going to get injured swinging so far within himself.

The big problem I see with a lot of pro golfers and athletes is that the stubborn determination that makes them great also makes them terrible at listening to / managing their bodies.

Tiger is the obvious example for the rest of the PGA tour where he lost a chunk of his prime due to rushing comebacks and pushing through pain. Koepka is another one treading the same path I fear. Taking cortisone shots to mask the torn labrum in his hip, plenty could go wrong there.

Wolff had another WD fairly recently if memory serves (Hawaii?). Doesn't make sense to me for someone that young with so much time on his side not to rehabilitate properly and come back only when he is 100%. Also a lot harder to drown out the naysayers when results are poor.

Edited by GolfTurkey
10 minutes ago, Vardon Grip said:

With all due respect, I believe the correct title is: "What up with Wolff?"

Later to be edited to "Just crying Wolff!"

Actually OP kind of fessed up to not remembering his swing that well, and we know he's been injured, but, lol, I'd forgotten that in less than about two weeks' time since I last heard it.

Still, someone shoots 83 in a WGC probably going to have a thread.  

BTW, Annika was +3 today - I've already requested Santa send me her swing, I'll take it!

Edited by Hawkeye77
  • Like 1
43 minutes ago, GolfTurkey said:

Also hard to see how Finau is going to get injured swinging so far within himself.

The big problem I see with a lot of pro golfers and athletes is that the stubborn determination that makes them great also makes them terrible at listening to / managing their bodies.

Tiger is the obvious example for the rest of the PGA tour where he lost a chunk of his prime due to rushing comebacks and pushing through pain. Koepka is another one treading the same path I fear. Taking cortisone shots to mask the torn labrum in his hip, plenty could go wrong there.

Wolff had another WD fairly recently if memory serves (Hawaii?). Doesn't make sense to me for someone that young with so much time on his side not to rehabilitate properly and come back only when he is 100%. Also a lot harder to drown out the naysayers when results are poor.

Cortisone shots are terrible generally I wouldn't even use that as a last resort for pain.  Yes it greatly reduces inflammation but destroys the soft tissue at the site.  There have been plenty of pro athletes who have ruined their careers from those and pain meds.  As for Wolff, he's probably pushing through the pain from his wrist injury which is obviously really messing with his swing.  I really hope he takes some more time off to fully heal from this.  He has a long bright future ahead of him and he would get a medical exemption for this albeit he's already exempt for the next 1 or 2 years I believe. 

Edited by phizzy30
  • Like 1

TM SIM 2, 8* w/Ventus Black 7x

TM SIM 15* w/Ventus Blue 8x

TM Tour Issue Deep Face Ghost Proto TP 2 HB  w/Thump 105x

New Level NLU-01 21* w/KBS Proto 105x

New Level 623-M 5-PW w/MMT 125 TX

54* Miura HB w/KBS 610 S+, 58* Miura w/KBS Tour Black

Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 1

Interesting one with him. Clearly a horror round and I get it, even guys at that level have them. It did seem that, at points, during the round that he had almost quit whilst he was out there. There was one putt in particular that if he could have been described as approaching it lackadaisically, then that would have been a huge improvement. It almost seemed like he tried to miss it.

Obviously, he has a heck of a golf game when he is firing on all cylinders. I do wonder how much is happening in the most important distance - the six inches between his ears. If his injury was so bad that he was unable to get it round the course then what the heck was he doing out there in the first place? If it had gotten worse during the course of the round then why did he carry on and try to finish out? Why did his caddie not step in and say, WD now, you aren’t doing yourself any favours?

Titleist TS3 8.5 Even Flow White T1100 6.0
Titleist 915Fd 15 Stiff Rogue Black 
Titleist 712U 3 Iron Stiff Tour AD DI
Titleist T100 4-PW 6.0 Project X LZ
Titleist Vokey SM6 50.08
Titlesist Vokey SM7 56.12 & 60.04
Scotty Cameron Futura 5S
ProV1x 2019

www.youtube.com/oneillgolf

9 hours ago, phizzy30 said:

Cortisone shots are terrible generally I wouldn't even use that as a last resort for pain.  Yes it greatly reduces inflammation but destroys the soft tissue at the site.  There have been plenty of pro athletes who have ruined their careers from those and pain meds.  As for Wolff, he's probably pushing through the pain from his wrist injury which is obviously really messing with his swing.  I really hope he takes some more time off to fully heal from this.  He has a long bright future ahead of him and he would get a medical exemption for this albeit he's already exempt for the next 1 or 2 years I believe. 

As a one off, to curb constant inflammation, cortisone shots have their place, golfer's, and tennis elbow, for example. One bout of inflammation where rest, strengthening, and a flexibility/range of motion program have little effect, a cortisone shot can be very beneficial to get over the hump. Now, for people popping (injecting) them into the same area like they're Flintstone's vitamins, yeah, it will be an issue.

Edited by Frankensteins Monster
10 hours ago, GolfTurkey said:

9 hours ago, phizzy30 said:

Singers have done the same thing in the past with cortisone shots to battle through inflammation in their throat/vocal folds from pushing themselves too hard and/or bad technique. Irreparable damage has been done as a result, sad stuff.  

• Confused 1

Taylormade SIM 10.5* Diamana X'17 70TX 
Taylormade SIM Ti V2 15* Kuro Kage XD 80TX || Taylormade SIM Ti Tour Issue 16* HZRDUS T1100 95g
Taylormade M5 19* Tensei Pro White 90TX || Taylormade GAPR Lo 3 19* Kuro Kage 100XTS Hybrid
Taylormade RSI UDI 20* Project X PXi 7.0
Bridgestone J40 DPC 4i-7i 23*- 35* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Bridgestone J40 CB 8i-PW 39*- 48* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Taylormade Milled Grind Raw 54* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Vokey SM6 58* Oil Can Low Bounce K-Grind Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Scotty Cameron Newport Tour Red Dot || Scotty Cameron Newport 2 Pro Platinum

11 hours ago, aenemated said:

Go ask Brad Peterson about the rerouting. I've said it before, but it's a simple move that makes shallowing during the transition almost automatic. It's insanely efficient and makes OTT almost impossible. 

34 minutes ago, nikeblades00 said:

You scared me here for a minute! Didn't know where you were taking this! But maybe that matters too!!

Haha, the thought crossed my mind when I was typing it 😂

• Haha 1

Titleist TS3 8.5 Even Flow White T1100 6.0
Titleist 915Fd 15 Stiff Rogue Black 
Titleist 712U 3 Iron Stiff Tour AD DI
Titleist T100 4-PW 6.0 Project X LZ
Titleist Vokey SM6 50.08
Titlesist Vokey SM7 56.12 & 60.04
Scotty Cameron Futura 5S
ProV1x 2019

www.youtube.com/oneillgolf